Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dirt posted:

The new Fallujah album is out there now.

It's pretty loving good.

Just listened to this. "loving good" is an understatement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I'm just gonna post this because it kicks rear end. :regd10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJykwV6T6gU&t=634s

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MrBling posted:

You know which album I've forgotten all about and how great it is?

it is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGita6Chdd4
It's a really great album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ux4jj_5k4E

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bruce Kison posted:

I approve of this wholeheartedly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Those lyrics are something else.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I also find it rather funny that those goat things on the sides are quite clearly ripped off of the heraldic lion in the Finnish coat-of-arms.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Just wondering, but does anyone else think At the Edge of Time is Blind Guardian's best album? I like their older stuff, but that album seems to have more weight to me. I also prefer Demons & Wizards, so maybe it's just liking a newer album to me? I'm not sure.

Edit: How does Hansi rank amongst distinctive metal voices? I'd put him right behind Dio.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 19, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not even close. Nightfall in Middle-Earth, Imaginations From the Other Side and Somewhere Far Beyond are all superior.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My favourite BG album is definitely A Night at the Opera. I need to listen to And Then There Was Silence and Battlefield right now, goddamn. It's funny, when I think of that album I think back to my awkward as gently caress early teen years, sitting in my basement playing Warcraft 3 while listening to the cheesiest of power metal. Sublime.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bruce Kison posted:

Aaaah this is so loving good!

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Honestly my favorite Blind Guardian album is Live. I mean, A Night at the Opera has my favorite songs, but I'm not a huge fan of the production on it. I really don't like their habit of overlaying Hansi's voice to create a hundred Hansi chorus or whatever - he has such an amazing voice that I really feel like they would be better off just leaving it alone and simplifying the production overall honestly.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not even close. Nightfall in Middle-Earth, Imaginations From the Other Side and Somewhere Far Beyond are all superior.

You typed my exact post, letter for letter.

I like how BG is able to maintain their style while each album is distinct.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

TeamJesus posted:

I don't think I've seen the new Goatwhore album mentioned here yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FT5FowymII

Another very solid release by them. I'll have to give it a few more listens to figure out if I think its on par with, or better than 'Blood for the Master' from 2012.

Goatwhore owns. I'd say it's not quite Blood For The Master, but I still like it a lot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

sleepingbuddha posted:

Just wondering, but does anyone else think At the Edge of Time is Blind Guardian's best album?
It's a solid album, but not nearly their best imo.

Firstly, Nightfall in Middle-Earth is pretty much unbeatable. I find it just a perfect balance between their old rawness and the newer pompous sound. The atmosphere is absolutely amazing and the songs are brilliant.

After that it's a tossup between other albums. A Night at the Opera would otherwise be a clear second, but the production is just loving horridly muddy, which is a shame because it has some really killer songs.

And yeah, Hansi's singing is pretty much instantly recognizable. Jens Carlsson from Persuader and formerly Savage Circus sometimes sounds startlingly similar, though.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 20, 2014

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Every couple of years I decide to check out Blind Guardian in more depth and every time I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times. This has happened at least six times so far.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sleepingbuddha posted:

Just wondering, but does anyone else think At the Edge of Time is Blind Guardian's best album? I like their older stuff, but that album seems to have more weight to me. I also prefer Demons & Wizards, so maybe it's just liking a newer album to me? I'm not sure.

Edit: How does Hansi rank amongst distinctive metal voices? I'd put him right behind Dio.
It's a nice return to form for them after the shitbrick that was A Twist in the Myth. It's not their best album by a long shot, but "A Voice in the Dark" was their best song in at least 10 years.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 19, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So, uh, yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5xcOwAaGE

That's certainly a thing.

Crazy Larry posted:

Honestly my favorite Blind Guardian album is Live. I mean, A Night at the Opera has my favorite songs, but I'm not a huge fan of the production on it. I really don't like their habit of overlaying Hansi's voice to create a hundred Hansi chorus or whatever - he has such an amazing voice that I really feel like they would be better off just leaving it alone and simplifying the production overall honestly.

If Imaginations Through the Looking Glass counts then that one is the best, but I don't know if live stuff really counts.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 19, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Groke posted:

Every couple of years I decide to check out Blind Guardian in more depth and every time I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times. This has happened at least six times so far.

Imaginations is a total masterpiece in my opinion. I've gone through all of BG's discog and pretty much every album has at least one amazing track, but everything on Imaginations is just awesome. About as aggressive as they ever got while still being ostentatious and epic in true BG fashion. Awesome drumming and some of Hansi's best vocal performances (ANOTHER CRUCIFIXION, FOR ANOTHER HOOOOOOLY WAAAAAAAAAAR).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
NEVER TRUST THE NORTHERN WIND

NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON FRIENDS

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't leave out the first two albums - they are probably my favourite Blind Guardian output.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

When Sorrow Sang is the best song Blind Guardian has ever written.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

AgentJotun posted:

Don't leave out the first two albums - they are probably my favourite Blind Guardian output.

Banish from Sanctuary is probably my favorite Blind Guardian song

Best album is still Nightfall in Middle Earth, though

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 20, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hulk Krogan posted:

When Sorrow Sang is the best song Blind Guardian has ever written.

This.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I think trying to pick a "best" Blind Guardian song is fairly pointless, because they've had a constant and fairly rapid change in style and sound over the years, to the point where every album has a fairly distinct feel.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bruce Kison posted:

Banish from Sanctuary is probably my favorite Blind Guardian song
I think I agree with this, but I hate the studio version -- it has no power or energy behind it at all. There's so many good live versions of this song, though. Tokyo Tales from way back is probably my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW2aIuz6BS0

Adding my own useless opinion to this already-useless best song chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1rroJOZzw

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Dragon shirt metal"

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Those On My Left posted:

The new Opeth leaked today!

Pretty strong stuff. River is easily one of my favorite Opeth tracks. And I haven't noticed any super bad lyrics (pain in your brain, insane :suicide:)

edit: the last track is awesome too, eager to see official transcripts, since I can't make out about half the lyrics.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AgentJotun posted:

I'll personally take Somewhere Far Beyond and its very transitional style as my favorite. It has both the best production of their entire discography and some incredible riffmonsters in "Time, What is Time", "Ashes to Ashes", "Journey Through the Dark", and the title track. It has enough melody and variety to be less repetitive than the first two albums but keeps the speed metal foundation. Imaginations and A Night at the Opera are great in their own way but only briefly approach the intensity of Somewhere Far Beyond (and Tales from the Twilight World, which is a very close second). Nightfall in Middle Earth is horribly bloated and packed with lovely ballads--the actual listenable material is quite excellent but it's only a third of the album, the rest being poo poo.

One thing I love about this band is that they don't really play "guitar solos" but weave leads (leads, with actual melodic content) through the entire structure of a song. There's a huge amount of lead guitar in nearly every song but it's not just a bunch of twiddling packed into a single blob in the bridge.

And for the "best song" line of discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LGOtY3d7AE Time What is Time (demo) (it's a shame there's not a version of this demo that I know of that's not brickwalled to poo poo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cxp0KCqubk Punishment Divine

As for At the Edge of Time, it's clearly one of those middle-of-the-road albums that bands that are past their prime put out--it's a pale shadow of what they were once capable of but they don't embarrass themselves. "Curse My Name" is probably the best of their acoustic folk songs so far, though, and it doesn't have that lifeless, plastic sound to the production that the rest of the album has.

Nordick posted:

After that it's a tossup between other albums. A Night at the Opera would otherwise be a clear second, but the production is just loving horridly muddy, which is a shame because it has some really killer songs.

For a loudness war casualty (which the original also was anyway), the new remaster sounds quite good and is miles ahead in sound quality. The wall of noise that surrounded the arrangements is gone and you can hear everything quite clearly. Tales from the Twilight World benefits too, as they rein in the very uncontrolled drum reverb and low-end guitar fuzz, making everything more crisp. For most of the other albums the remasters add nothing; Somewhere Far Beyond ends up sounding much worse. I think they're available individually now so you no longer have to buy the ludicrously expensive boxed set.

Speaking of remasters and reissues, does anyone else have Jag Panzer's Chain of Command and Shadow Thief rereleases? I have both on vinyl and they are quite awesome. Shadow Thief sounds very, very good for a demo and miles ahead of the lovely bootlegs circulating on YouTube.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Woolie Wool posted:

One thing I love about this band is that they don't really play "guitar solos" but weave leads (leads, with actual melodic content) through the entire structure of a song. There's a huge amount of lead guitar in nearly every song but it's not just a bunch of twiddling packed into a single blob in the bridge.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, best guitar tone.

Also:

Vintersorg posted:

"Dragon shirt metal"

Yep :black101:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, best guitar tone.

This would be true except...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkvEDAg6MWw

My opinion on Blind Guardian is pretty similar to White Stripes, on album they are pretty average to decent bands, but on live they are loving amazing (see: Last Candle, Truth Doesn't Make a Noise). I'd argue the same for Maiden too, but really they just cut a really good live album and their on album stuff is still great, it's just any would pale in comparison to Rock in Rio. Where with WS and BG I feel a lot of their songs are pretty boring on album but much more robust when done live.

I'd also make the argument that Demons and Wizards is a fundamentally better band then Blind Guardian is, just because their songs are shorter and much better put together for the most part. I much rather listen to Dorian or Love's Tragedy Asunder than most of the BG catalog.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
My copy of the new Overkill came today, and it's pretty good.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

so this happened today

:black101:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Varg posted:

so this happened today

You took a photo of your odometer while you were at 2300 RPM?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RPM doesn't really mean much, he could be going anywhere from 10 mph to 100 mph depending on the car and gear.

Or it could even be at idle on a cold day!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Varg posted:

so this happened today

Someone drives a Honda Civic.

e: also :smugdog:

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 22, 2014

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

drat, thatäs cool, haha!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

comes along bort posted:

But you weren't going 66mph in 66º

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, should this thread be moved back to AI now? :v:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, that was fun. Just move this thread around the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'd also make the argument that Demons and Wizards is a fundamentally better band then Blind Guardian is, just because their songs are shorter and much better put together for the most part. I much rather listen to Dorian or Love's Tragedy Asunder than most of the BG catalog.

You are wrong. Demons and Wizards trades a genius guitarist (Andre Olbrich) for a painfully generic one who hasn't written an original riff since 1995 (Jon Schaffer). Blind Guardian is not just about Hansi, it's equally dependent on Andre Olbrich's lead guitar, and Jon Schaffer is a washed up old hack who will never write anything one tenth as good as Night of the Stormrider again.