Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I've still not been able to find a version that doesn't translate "Youma" to Evil, slightly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Darksaber posted:

I'm also kinda dreading when they introduce her computer, because it's going to end up pushing me over the edge on ordering one of those cases for my 3DS.

My friend tried to order me a case for Christmas from this shop, but they didn't do a great packing job and UPS tore the poo poo out of the package, so the case was bent and completely unusable. On the plus side, the shop gave a full refund, and responded quickly. You might have better luck since it's not around a holiday, but I wanted to give a heads up before you spent your money.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Thanks for letting me know. That's the shop I'll be ordering from once my willpower gives out, so I'll be sure to ask about their packaging before I place an order.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

CherryCat posted:

I've still not been able to find a version that doesn't translate "Youma" to Evil, slightly frustrating.

Aren't there only like two versions that do that though? Unless you're talking about the official nico-nico subs, which yeah.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

Mercury Hat posted:

At least this answered whether this new series is stuck in the 90s or not. Nice laptop :D . Wonder why no one seems to have cell phones.

For some reason it works out in this adaptation how they managed to keep a mix of the old (the arcade) with the new (the laptop and flat screens) and I am really loving the detail in the backgrounds, like the school library and the town shots. It makes it seem less generic than the original early anime.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CherryCat posted:

I can only find the official subs, whatever airs on Crunchyroll. I've been trying to find a fansub group fixing the subtitles to actually be decent but I haven't had any luck so far, I figure because it's on a lot more shaky ground than other fansubs would be.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can only find the official subs, whatever airs on Crunchyroll. I've been trying to find a fansub group fixing the subtitles to actually be decent but I haven't had any luck so far, I figure because it's on a lot more shaky ground than other fansubs would be.

The script comparisons here might be of use.

The site does have external links to fansub sites, so if it's not kosher, I'll remove it.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I'm starting to think I'll just watch it unsubbed, I could probably use the practice.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Amarie posted:

For some reason it works out in this adaptation how they managed to keep a mix of the old (the arcade) with the new (the laptop and flat screens) and I am really loving the detail in the backgrounds, like the school library and the town shots. It makes it seem less generic than the original early anime.

Speaking of, this version's Sailor V game looks cool as poo poo and they should actually develop and release it as a downloadable for every major console.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
There's a full version of Moon Pride up that has clips from upcoming episodes, most of the rest of the girl's transformation sequences and one awkward as gently caress CGi walking sequence.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

planetarial posted:

There's a full version of Moon Pride up that has clips from upcoming episodes, most of the rest of the girl's transformation sequences and one awkward as gently caress CGi walking sequence.

Love Momoclo. They were born to sing magical girl theme songs

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Question: Can someone explain why Ami's/Mercury's senshi outfit is the only one without shoulder sleeves?

this is starting to send my OCD into overdrive

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

That's just how she looks in the manga. If you notice, Mars also has a little pendant near her skirt, for some reason.

I thought maybe the sleeve choice may have been a reference to the original costume designs, but I guess not.

(You can't really tell in that picture, but Usagi originally had pink hair, and I think it's been said that Chibiusa's hair color is a reference to that)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

mateo360 posted:

Question: Can someone explain why Ami's/Mercury's senshi outfit is the only one without shoulder sleeves?

Sailor Pluto lacks them, too, or at least always used to.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

mateo360 posted:

Each of the senshi have little differences in their outfits. Shoulders, accessories, shoes, and Jupiter has her antenna on her tiara. This is not the series for OCD.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Robviously posted:

Each of the senshi have little differences in their outfits. Shoulders, accessories, shoes, and Jupiter has her antenna on her tiara. This is not the series for OCD.

Said antennae is used for an attack and is hidden away until it is used. It is practical.

It just weird to have 5 people and only 4 match from the knees up. For some reason the shoes don't bother me but I this they kind of match some of them well like boots for the more rough and tough Jupiter heels for the fashion Venus and stilettos for the fiery Mars

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

mateo360 posted:

Said antennae is used for an attack and is hidden away until it is used. It is practical.

Not in the manga design above!

e: also holy poo poo what is wrong with their arms in that walking bit in the moon pride video :gonk:

neongrey fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 20, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

neongrey posted:

Not in the manga design, as above!

From the manga

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah but the design thing above it isn't there, and now it looks like she's got some kind of chainy thing.

No matter what I guess consistency isn't the thing to be looking at here.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I think her antenna showed up more early on in the manga, but I guess Naoko got tired of drawing it. It was definitely there during Makoto's first transformation:

mateo360 posted:

For some reason the shoes don't bother me but I this they kind of match some of them well like boots for the more rough and tough Jupiter heels for the fashion Venus and stilettos for the fiery Mars

It's funny you say that, because it always bothered me how Mercuy had the same style boots as Moon, and the other 3 had different shoes. :v: Actually, Pluto had those boots too. It's odd how she and Mercury had similar costume designs, what with the boots and lack of sleeves.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

neongrey posted:

Yeah but the design thing above it isn't there, and now it looks like she's got some kind of chainy thing.

I think its called a potpourri belt. She had it in the Live Action too.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
drat it, I'd forgotten about the countless hours I spent as a youth analyzing their costumes. All of that time I spent arguing over their footwear is coming back to me. :engleft:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A marked improvement from last week in the fluidity department (at the cost of a few choice moments that the whinge brigade have flocked to like the pedantic sods they are and are probably going to be cleaned up for the home video release).

If they keep this up (and introduce Jedite to a new world of Plane and off him as is right) then this will be a perfectly fine adaptation of Sailor Moon.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, this is really great so far, I think. I'm still not liking the coloring, which I think is what's throwing off everybody about the animation. The backgrounds, movements, even Usagi's expressions this episode were really nice but the weird airbrushing to make shadows looks... odd? Especially after Usagi's intro in the first episode, which was extremely slick and polished with bright colors.

I actually like the CG transformations, honestly. It just looks like a cel-shaded animation more than anything, and the bubbles for Ami looked pretty sweet. Should be interesting to see if they ever showcase Pluto's ultimate powers with it :black101:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Axel Serenity posted:

I actually like the CG transformations, honestly. It just looks like a cel-shaded animation more than anything, and the bubbles for Ami looked pretty sweet. Should be interesting to see if they ever showcase Pluto's ultimate powers with it :black101:

I'm still torn on the CG transformations because they are just far too noodle-limber for me to not wonder who the gently caress approved that animation. The bubbles were a great touch, though, and I can't wait to see the fire and thunder.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But (Jojo's) Za Worldo is pretty tough to beat in that department.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I've noticed they've basically emulated the original anime transformations to some extent with minor changes to account for the CG. Ami's transformation right up to when she went from crazy colors to in costume was basically the same as it was in the original, just flashier.

Will it be like that for the others?

e: well watching the Music Video for Moon Pride basically confirms that. Don't change what isn't broken I suppose.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 20, 2014

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

:pwn:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's kind of hilarious that she says "all I'm good at is studying" right after demonstrating ridiculously good reflexes. Really, her only flaw seems to be low self-esteem.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Her flaw is that her eyes are misaligned like Sloth from the Goonies

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

ALFbrot posted:

Her flaw is that her eyes are misaligned like Sloth from the Goonies

Sailor Mercury as portrayed by Shannen Doherty.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Silver2195 posted:

It's kind of hilarious that she says "all I'm good at is studying" right after demonstrating ridiculously good reflexes. Really, her only flaw seems to be low self-esteem.

That's exactly it. At the point when she meets Usagi, Ami really believes that all she's good at is studying. Through her friendship with Usagi and the other girls she learns that she has so many other good qualities - that they appreciate her kindness, sweetness, gentleness, patience and determination, AND they're really impressed by her intelligence and academic drive.
I remember an episode in the old anime where Usagi, who hates school and gets lovely grades as a matter of course, makes it a point to look up the practice exam scores as soon as they come out, and then runs to find Ami and congratulate her on her top score and tell her she's amazing. :glomp:

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

So here's a neat fan thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

250 artists and animators got together and re-created an episode, shot by shot. The episode they chose (dubbed) is the one where they all pretend to get into a fight, as if they're going to break up their team, in order to trick the "Negaverse". I've been following the project for awhile now, and I thought the episode going to be pretty janky, but it actually works pretty well together!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tumblr noses everywhere. :gonk:

There were a few good scenes, a few stinkers, and the rest were just sort of inbetween.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
It's interesting to see the different directions people took with their bits but holy crap that dub is jarring :gonk:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I screencapped this exact scene when I saw it too. She's so beautiful. :downs:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Chrysolith posted:

So here's a neat fan thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

250 artists and animators got together and re-created an episode, shot by shot. The episode they chose (dubbed) is the one where they all pretend to get into a fight, as if they're going to break up their team, in order to trick the "Negaverse". I've been following the project for awhile now, and I thought the episode going to be pretty janky, but it actually works pretty well together!

Worth it for this

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm having a real hard time believing Naru/Molly's ludicrous accent isn't part of the parody.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Man, I love the old dub. When I was a kid, it was great cause it was my favorite show and what's dubbed anime? Now it's great because of the nostalgia and the hilarity of the slang and voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

KariOhki posted:

Man, I love the old dub. When I was a kid, it was great cause it was my favorite show and what's dubbed anime? Now it's great because of the nostalgia and the hilarity of the slang and voices.

I really do love the camp factor of it. I've watched a few of the episodes with friends more recently and it's mindblowing. Especially in the later seasons where it goes completely off the rails and Sailor Moon sounds like Rodney Dangerfield.

• Locked thread