Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wouldn't hold my breath. Mentor characters seem to begin at crazy high levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since Atelier is being brought up a bunch, I suppose I should mention that Koei Tecmo are conducting big feedback surveys on Rorona+ and the series right now (first link is NA, second is EU).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I recently got a PSP that came with the Sega Megadrive Collection and I felt like trying out Phantasy Star III. I watched a friend play hours of II and I have played a ton of PSIV which I really enjoyed, but how does III hold up?

I also have DQV on my DS and a huge list of other games to play, so I'm not so much desperate for something new as I am as much particularly interested in whether III is worth the time, or if replaying IV will be better on the whole if I did want to play a Phantasy Star game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PSIII is bit of a pickle. While it's aged a little less roughly than PSII (those loving teleporter mazes and loving overhead pipes and loving grindathon) it wasn't nearly as good to begin with. It has really neat ideas, which funnily enough kind of coincide with DQ5, but ultimately I'd say maybe read the LP on the archive and play PSIV again, because it's the best 16-bit RPG.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I recently got a PSP that came with the Sega Megadrive Collection and I felt like trying out Phantasy Star III. I watched a friend play hours of II and I have played a ton of PSIV which I really enjoyed, but how does III hold up?

I also have DQV on my DS and a huge list of other games to play, so I'm not so much desperate for something new as I am as much particularly interested in whether III is worth the time, or if replaying IV will be better on the whole if I did want to play a Phantasy Star game.

III is quite easily the worst game in the series and it's only very barely connected to the other 3 mainline Phantasy Star games. The visuals are ugly, the music sounds awful, it looks like a really low effort and unfinished game. The only kind of cool thing about it is that it's set over 3 generations and who you choose to marry at the end of each generation dictates who the protagonist for the next part of the game will be.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

You guys really aren't selling it to me :/

With so much else out there I'll probably pass. For Final Fantasy V and VI,I imagine both of these are much better than PSIII?
What's the best version for these - GBA?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The GBA versions have extra content but the colors and sound take a downgrade from the SNES versions. There are fanmade patches that fix the color scheme and improve the sound to SNES levels which would make them the best versions but that'd only be useful for you if you're playing them on an emulator.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

HGH posted:

Since Atelier is being brought up a bunch, I suppose I should mention that Koei Tecmo are conducting big feedback surveys on Rorona+ and the series right now (first link is NA, second is EU).

Thanks for the heads up! I made sure to ask for more Monster Rancher in half my responses.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

that'd only be useful for you if you're playing them on an emulator.

Maybe I'll do just that. I'll do some googling later. Thanks for the advice. I think it's Dragon Quest for now and then I'll look into patching the GBA versions. How does V compare to VI? Isn't the latter one of the most popular in the series?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Considering how buggy MRDS was, I think we can just write off Monster rancher as a series. :smith:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Hey, I just choose to believe there is life for my Suezos out there beyond flash-built timer and IAP-filled mobile games... :cry:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Maybe I'll do just that. I'll do some googling later. Thanks for the advice. I think it's Dragon Quest for now and then I'll look into patching the GBA versions. How does V compare to VI? Isn't the latter one of the most popular in the series?

They're pretty different. V doesn't take itself seriously at all and has a host of Job classes to use and abilities to learn. It's all about the gameplay. VI is more about the story and while there is some character customization, it opens up a fair bit later on than V and it's all about magic spells than abilities itself.

They're both good games but trying to compare them is a bit like trying to compare apples and oranges.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Falcom PSP action-RPG Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure is getting a Steam port and they're giving free copies to those that vote for it in Greenlight & join their group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Gurumin

quote:

Vote ‘YES’ on the Gurumin Greenlight page and join this group to receive a FREE copy of the game (Steam code) once it is Greenlit and released!

It’s as simple as that! Spread the word!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Done - thanks for the link. Would be cool to see this happen for a range of other old classics too.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Falcom has several games on Steam, why does that one have to be Greenlit?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mill Village posted:

Probably because Falcom can't seem to keep a western publisher for very long and hasn't expanded their publishing branch outside of Japan.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I believe Xseed published the Ys games and I'm pretty sure they have there hands full working on the Legends of Heroes games with Carpe Fulgur. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure Mastiff has the publishing rights to Gurumin, not XSeed. So Mastiff has to go through Greenlight to get the game on Steam.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK I'm going to need someone to remind me what to do in Final fantasy 4. I got 6:45 into the game and I'm at Troia castle. One character is in bed and the Epcots (?) have granted me permission to raid the treasure hall downstairs and to use the crystal. I go into the crystal chamber and it's gone (maybe I did this already but it's been months and I forgot I was even here). So where does one head now. Like I say, almost 7 hours into the game with level 25 characters... Where to next?

Playing PSP version if it makes any difference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Head to the Magnetic Cave to fight the Dark Elf, I think.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Which direction is that from the castle? Do I need to fly there?
EDIT: drat, did I just waste 10,000 on that Member's Writ to watch some stupid dance? Is there any more to it than that?

kirbysuperstar posted:

play PSIV again, because it's the best 16-bit RPG.

Do you mean of all the SNES and Megadrive and whatever else RPGs there were...?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

go north to the round forest and catch a black chocobo and fly it east to the magnetic cave. Unequip anything metallic while inside.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dross posted:

go north to the round forest and catch a black chocobo and fly it east to the magnetic cave. Unequip anything metallic while inside.

Note he means everything metallic, not just ferrous metals, except for claws. Silver rings are affected by magnetism. :pseudo:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How about bow and arrow set ups? Are arrow tips a problem?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BadAstronaut posted:

Do you mean of all the SNES and Megadrive and whatever else RPGs there were...?

Yep!

:colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nope, bring all the arrows you want. It isn't a terribly long area, though, so unless you gave all your Holy Arrows to Rosa, you'll probably have more than enough to get you through it, and it's full of monsters who are weak to Holy element.

I swear you can buy them by that point in the game, too, Holy Arrows are like 20GP each.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
And don't forget to talk to the chump in bed to get the super important item without which you cannot beat that next boss fight!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That is the best beginner trap, because it's like maybe a third of the way through the game and the boss is just so mild looking. His sprite on-map is unique but still just a dude. His sprite in-battle is a recolour of Astos from the very first game. There's seemingly no weird tricks to the fight at all, aside from the metal gimmick.

Then he wipes your entire party out by multi-casting mid-level spells for 9,999 damage.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Trails in the Sky: FC is coming to Steam and GOG next week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/

From https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/491638538480259073:
"Every major feature from the PSP version will be implemented at launch, save for the Monster Guide, which will be implemented shortly after."

evilalien fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 22, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

evilalien posted:

Trails in the Sky: FC is coming next week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/

'Bout darn time!

evilalien posted:

From https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/491638538480259073:
"Every major feature from the PSP version will be implemented at launch, save for the Monster Guide, which will be implemented shortly after."

What's this? Is this something important to the game, something that, if you're halfway through the game when it gets patched in, can be filled retroactively with the stuff you've fought? (assuming it's what I think it is)

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 22, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The monster guide is basically a bestiary with info on every monster you fight. It's the one thing that would hold up a release at this point (since the content wasn't in the PC version at all and needs to be ported over by hand, page by page) and since it's a non-critical function and can easily be patched in later, they decided to just go ahead and make it a patch feature rather than delay further for one little thing that wasn't in the PC version to start with.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I almost exlusively play JRPGs but I've more or less exhausted what's out there: played the Final Fantasies, Personas, Bravely Default, Disgaeas, Pokemons, a whole bunch of PS2 stuff I can't remember and now I'm at the point where I can't find anything too interesting anymore. Very few JRPGs get released now and if I try to dig backwards the timeline, much of the ps1/gb era feels too clunky for a modern gamer. Like Grandia 1 and Xenogears and Golden Sun kinda stuff is just too dated.

So where should I look? When I went to the local gamestore, I found a bunch of weird anime games for ps3, probably JRPGs, but I have no idea what they were. Have I missed stuff during the years? Older stuff from ps2 era would be great too, but I guess a lot of it isn't available anymore. Haven't checked PSN for a while now, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

I almost exlusively play JRPGs but I've more or less exhausted what's out there: played the Final Fantasies, Personas, Bravely Default, Disgaeas, Pokemons, a whole bunch of PS2 stuff I can't remember and now I'm at the point where I can't find anything too interesting anymore. Very few JRPGs get released now and if I try to dig backwards the timeline, much of the ps1/gb era feels too clunky for a modern gamer. Like Grandia 1 and Xenogears and Golden Sun kinda stuff is just too dated.

So where should I look? When I went to the local gamestore, I found a bunch of weird anime games for ps3, probably JRPGs, but I have no idea what they were. Have I missed stuff during the years? Older stuff from ps2 era would be great too, but I guess a lot of it isn't available anymore. Haven't checked PSN for a while now, though.
The Tales series is a long-running JRPG franchise with most of it (relatively speaking) released in the US. You could give that a go. It's main claim to fame is that the combat is real-time and allows you to make combos and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrW08G1f7nM

Since the game's plots aren't interconnected, save for the occasional sequel (like Final Fantasy) you can jump onto it from just about anywhere.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ManOfTheYear posted:

I guess I'm lucky in that I genuinely enjoy old, clunky, ugly polygonal PSX JRPGs and the like. I can just keep playing those while waiting for good new JRPGs to come out, and someday that'll happen. :shobon:

Anyways, you say you've played a bunch of stuff, so I'll just toss out some general ideas rather than going into specifics:
  • Suikoden series if you somehow skipped that. Check out 1+2 for the PSX. Graphics and gameplay have both aged very well.
  • Shadow Hearts is a really fun, goofy series that a lot of people overlook for the PS2.
  • Star Ocean 1~3 are fun, and I don't feel like they're particularly clunky either (relative to other games from the same time).
  • Valkyrie Profile 1+2 are another pair of actiony Tri-Ace JRPGs, if you dig that sort of real time combat system. The second one is more approachable.
  • Wild Arms is a ton of fun, but the first two probably fit that "too clunky" type you're looking to avoid. Check out WA3 on the PS2 though.
  • Saga Frontier 1+2 for the PSX are often overlooked as well, same for the early Tales games (Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia).
  • Tales of Vesperia (360) is a great last gen JRPG. Really fun real time combat system.
  • Xenoblade (Wii) is also a solid game. I'd recommend giving it a look even if you're blegh on Xenogears/Xenosaga. It's way more approachable than it's namesakes.
  • Baten Kaitos (GC) if you dig the idea of a card battling JRPG. Like, random encounters and the whole deal, but you construct decks and play cards in battle.
  • Skies of Arcadia (Legends, GC) is probably pretty clunky, but it's been ages since I played it, so it's worth mentioning at least.
  • Radiant Historia (DS) is worth a look at as well. Wish I could remember if Radiata Stories (PS2) was any good.
  • e: Jade Cocoon (PSX) is a game that I really like, but it's arguably just a more clunky, less deep version of Pokemon.

Any of those sound new to you?

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You could also try Grandia 2, which is one of my favorite games. It was Dreamcast/PS2/PC and was really cartoony, so even though it's on older-gen tech, the graphics aren't really that bad since that sounds like a sticking point with you. Dunno why, you're missing out on some good poo poo passing up stuff like XGS, Grandia 1, and Squaresoft's obscure PS1 library.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BloodWulfe posted:

I guess I'm lucky in that I genuinely enjoy old, clunky, ugly polygonal PSX JRPGs and the like. I can just keep playing those while waiting for good new JRPGs to come out, and someday that'll happen. :shobon:

Anyways, you say you've played a bunch of stuff, so I'll just toss out some general ideas rather than going into specifics:
  • Suikoden series if you somehow skipped that. Check out 1+2 for the PSX. Graphics and gameplay have both aged very well.
  • Shadow Hearts is a really fun, goofy series that a lot of people overlook for the PS2.
  • Star Ocean 1~3 are fun, and I don't feel like they're particularly clunky either (relative to other games from the same time).
  • Valkyrie Profile 1+2 are another pair of actiony Tri-Ace JRPGs, if you dig that sort of real time combat system. The second one is more approachable.
  • Wild Arms is a ton of fun, but the first two probably fit that "too clunky" type you're looking to avoid. Check out WA3 on the PS2 though.
  • Saga Frontier 1+2 for the PSX are often overlooked as well, same for the early Tales games (Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia).
  • Tales of Vesperia (360) is a great last gen JRPG. Really fun real time combat system.
  • Xenoblade (Wii) is also a solid game. I'd recommend giving it a look even if you're blegh on Xenogears/Xenosaga. It's way more approachable than it's namesakes.
  • Baten Kaitos (GC) if you dig the idea of a card battling JRPG. Like, random encounters and the whole deal, but you construct decks and play cards in battle.
  • Skies of Arcadia (Legends, GC) is probably pretty clunky, but it's been ages since I played it, so it's worth mentioning at least.
  • Radiant Historia (DS) is worth a look at as well. Wish I could remember if Radiata Stories (PS2) was any good.
  • e: Jade Cocoon (PSX) is a game that I really like, but it's arguably just a more clunky, less deep version of Pokemon.

Any of those sound new to you?

If you have a PS3, ManOfTheYear, Tales of Xillia is also well worth your time. Also seconding that you shouldn't go anywhere near Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Some more good JRPG's from the last decade or so;

Lost Kingdoms 2 (GC)
Tales of the Abyss (Get the 3DS version, it fixes a bunch of loading issues the PS2 version had)
The Last Story (Wii) (basically a really good Final Fantasy game in all but name, especially as it's made by the original director of the FF games).

The White Dragon posted:

You could also try Grandia 2, which is one of my favorite games. It was Dreamcast/PS2/PC and was really cartoony, so even though it's on older-gen tech, the graphics aren't really that bad since that sounds like a sticking point with you. Dunno why, you're missing out on some good poo poo passing up stuff like XGS, Grandia 1, and Squaresoft's obscure PS1 library.

If you're going to get Grandia 2, don't get the PS2 version because it's buggy as hell. The PC version's also buggy, but I think there's a fan patch or two floating around. The Dreamcast version suffers from none of the issues the other two have though.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Lost Odyssey for 360 has a pretty good rep around these parts, no?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
If you go to play Suikoden 2 and you're in the US, grab the fan patch that fixes a lot of issues with it. The North American version was somewhat messed up (music don't play correctly, name import is messed up, some battle stuff is incorrect.)

http://www.herrvillain.com/suikoden/GS2_Patch_2.01.065b_2013-12-19.zip

This is the latest one available.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RadicalR posted:

If you go to play Suikoden 2 and you're in the US, grab the fan patch that fixes a lot of issues with it. The North American version was somewhat messed up (music don't play correctly, name import is messed up, some battle stuff is incorrect.)

http://www.herrvillain.com/suikoden/GS2_Patch_2.01.065b_2013-12-19.zip

This is the latest one available.
Does the patch fix the translation, too? I don't want a complete retranslation or anything, but there are a few lines that are just complete nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it better not fix the cat that says 'sonya'