Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I trialed the Phoenix and it didn't really seem like my cup of tea :shrug: I much prefer the Shrike's ability to just kill mans with reckless abandon. How does the Decimator perform in this role???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

It performs well, but its slow projectile speed and drop makes it a little difficult to reliably kill mans at range. Best for interior decorating.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Phoenix shines more in some situations than in others. You need a safe spot to stand still for several seconds in order to use it effectively. It can turn getting farmed into a reasonable cert payout, fire through the spawn shields or from the safe side of a tower and pick off enemy Prowlers/Magriders/Turrets/Sunderers.

In open field fights or big pushes, it's completely worthless because you can't stand still long enough to use it. As soon as I have a spare :10bux: (or cert equivalent) I plan to pick it up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

So you are telling me the NC Heavy Assault really just has the best kit out the gate then :toot:

Well I guess I'll have to buy something for another class then.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Get a Carnage or a Tross if you like medic, get a Cyclone if you like being a LA/Engineer/Infil.

Related: The GD-7F is still good. The Cyclone is a little more flexible whereas the GD-7F is pure facefucker, but it fucks faces pretty well.

Or just pick up some random other LMG to aurax so you can get a GODSAW.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Horizontal Tree posted:

Two days ago I locked down on the Scarred Mesa landing pad and arced my pounder shots over the rock next to the road halfway to Red Ridge to wreck their Sundy. Pounders are stupid good.
Also I have dual Cosmos and Mutilators and I've converted to the NEVER STOP SHOOTING school of AI Max warfare.

Cosmos with extended mags and just hold down both mouse buttons.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Cosmos with extended mags and just hold down both mouse buttons.

Not even as good at this as Mutilators are. Dual Mutilator and Dual Pounder are the only setups I need on my TR MAX

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm buying Exmags Blueshits as soon as I get resource revamp obamacerts

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fart Car '97 posted:

So you are telling me the NC Heavy Assault really just has the best kit out the gate then :toot:

Well I guess I'll have to buy something for another class then.

I'd suggest the AV Turret if you didn't enjoy the Phoenix, it's a NS item so you'll have it on every character and it's the strongest anti-tank option in the game that won't cost you resources. You really don't want to have to rely on the Crow if you need to fend off a tank zerg.

(That reminds me: did you rebind your flight controls before trialing the Phoenix? Having pitch up / down on your mouse thumb buttons, plus Analog Throttle (push to set speed to minimum) somewhere on your keyboard makes a HUGE difference to the Phoenix's ability to hit stuff and curve around hills.)

If you play exclusively Heavy, the crossbow is a good use of $7 (or $3.5 because it's not an urgent investment by any means). Another cross-faction item, and it goes really well with LMG deep magazines since you will hardly ever need your pistol, so by equipping detect bolts you can carry 20 ghetto recon darts instead.

Speaking of deep magazines, I sunk some certs into the EM6 (because "largest magazine in the game" is a pretty intriguing selling point) and man, it's one surprisingly fun gun. Not quite the facefucker that the SAW is of course, but drat that magazine never ends, and it's also accurate as poo poo and fairly easy to control. I kind of think NC should have had this one as the started LMG and the Anchor as the 100-cert option, as it would have mirrored the TR's selection in a pleasantly symmetrical way across all classes (with 600/167 being the NC equivalent of 750/143). Then again, if SOE went that way the SAW might have been a 1000-cert gun, so I'll count myself lucky they strayed from the pattern.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The EM6 is a lot more forgiving of a gun for newer/less :911: players than the SAW tends to be, but they probably would have made the SAW 1000 certs and nobody would ever use it.

Edit: I didn't know the Phoenix had an adjustable throttle. Sweet!

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Anchor and Bull are on sale :neckbeard:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

If you're on the fence about the Anchor, buy it. It's like a GD-22S on steroids.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Horizontal Tree posted:

I'm buying Exmags Blueshits as soon as I get resource revamp obamacerts

That's what I use when fighting out in open bases, Cosmos are better for room holds because you can hit poo poo directly above you when facing forward.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Horizontal Tree posted:

Anchor and Bull are on sale :neckbeard:

I got the Bull today and I already got a silver medal on it. Thing's like a Cycler TRV with more bullets. It rules.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

(That reminds me: did you rebind your flight controls before trialing the Phoenix? Having pitch up / down on your mouse thumb buttons, plus Analog Throttle (push to set speed to minimum) somewhere on your keyboard makes a HUGE difference to the Phoenix's ability to hit stuff and curve around hills.)

This can't be quoted enough. It really does turn the Phoenix into something amazing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'd love to try it that way but gently caress the trial system in PS2. If you are still reading this Higby :argh: There are a million loving things to potentially try out, I'd be more likely to buy something if I didn't have to plan my trials days in advance. It's stupid.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

SRM posted:

I got the Bull today and I already got a silver medal on it. Thing's like a Cycler TRV with more bullets. It rules.

That is a terrible, inaccurate comparison, but I'm happy you like it!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh god, almost done with the Solstice Aurax... it's such a boring gun. It's not technically bad, it's just so, so underwhelming. I'll be glad when it's gone.

Meanwhile, more fights at Fallbridge Chemical, please. I love that base.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Horizontal Tree posted:

That is a terrible, inaccurate comparison, but I'm happy you like it!

It's a closer range LMG with a high fire rate and a lot of damage per bullet, seems pretty apt to me!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SRM posted:

It's a closer range LMG with a high fire rate and a lot of damage per bullet, seems pretty apt to me!
It has a very low fire rate for LMGs. It's closer to the T5 AMC than the TRV. That said the T5 AMC is pretty decent and so is the Bull, so whatever. It's a good weapon but definitely overpriced if you don't get it on sale. But since it is on sale, go nuts.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I started playing this last week because my friend wanted to play something with me but he doesn't like Natural Selection 2. It seems like this game is all about piling more people than the other team into a zone and surrounding it with a million tanks so you can cap it. Is there like any actual strategy to this game?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Stele007 posted:

I started playing this last week because my friend wanted to play something with me but he doesn't like Natural Selection 2. It seems like this game is all about piling more people than the other team into a zone and surrounding it with a million tanks so you can cap it. Is there like any actual strategy to this game?

There is a little bit of Grand Strategy that wins alerts, but honestly no nothing you can personally strategize about. Do your best to kill more of the enemy than the enemy kills of you and you've done your part to win the base.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Stele007 posted:

If you are just playing alone, there is very little you can hope to accomplish strategically. With a larger group you can do a lot more. There are diminishing returns with group size though. Of course when you are just a couple dudes all actions appear like "more bodies" is the solution to everything.

Basically join an outfit.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

1250 certs in 3 hours, https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428041429994150369/killboard I LOVE YOU BIO LABS. I have 15 more kills till i aurax my cosmos then its dual blueshifts+exmags.

I was running at 100k SPM hahaha woulda been higher but people were bitching about farming NC at a bio lab?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh, hello Hacksaw on my MAX with ex mags. We should be the best of friends!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
- What good is C4 for a Medic? I get near Sundy's fairly often thanks to playing fast and loose, but you don't get enough C4 to kill them. If I go near vehicle zergs I get shot, and I'm also not healing. I suppose I could use them against MAXes, but I'm generally around a blob of people who should be shooting that MAX anyways. I'm finding it really hard to justify C4 purchases with the upcoming Nanite changes, especially since I plan to pull Sundy's/Revive grenades at a fairly consistent rate. Want to see if there is a good reason to grab them that I'm not thinking of, or is it just "in the past you'd have enough resources for them, why not just in case."

- What's the go to optics for the Tross? I'm not a fan of NV, so trying to decide between 1x or 2x.

- What's the current math on pistols? Standard NC pistol feels fine, but I generally like the Rebel more for what I generally use sidearms for ( last 1-2 shots ). Commissioner looks like a straight upgrade as long as I only need to hit them 1-2 times, and I know a few goons recommended it earlier. Really indecisive on whether or not I should throw 100 certs at my Rebel for the increased hipfire accuracy, or just wait for the next Steam sale when I buy a Commissioner for $2.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VS you've gotta get your ducks in a row. Had world pop or tied with NC most of the night but near warpgated on all but one cont (and on all conts where the pop is locked), then you guys give away Hvar to the TR almost uncontested to push Tawrich, but then never even get the gens down there. So no more Magriders! As funny as that was to see happen, it's not like you guys and probably TKing DaPP is the solution here

Rookersh posted:

- What good is C4 for a Medic? I get near Sundy's fairly often thanks to playing fast and loose, but you don't get enough C4 to kill them. If I go near vehicle zergs I get shot, and I'm also not healing. I suppose I could use them against MAXes, but I'm generally around a blob of people who should be shooting that MAX anyways. I'm finding it really hard to justify C4 purchases with the upcoming Nanite changes, especially since I plan to pull Sundy's/Revive grenades at a fairly consistent rate. Want to see if there is a good reason to grab them that I'm not thinking of, or is it just "in the past you'd have enough resources for them, why not just in case."

- What's the go to optics for the Tross? I'm not a fan of NV, so trying to decide between 1x or 2x.

- What's the current math on pistols? Standard NC pistol feels fine, but I generally like the Rebel more for what I generally use sidearms for ( last 1-2 shots ). Commissioner looks like a straight upgrade as long as I only need to hit them 1-2 times, and I know a few goons recommended it earlier. Really indecisive on whether or not I should throw 100 certs at my Rebel for the increased hipfire accuracy, or just wait for the next Steam sale when I buy a Commissioner for $2.

C4 for a medic is primarily about killing MAXes and groups of infantry. It's nice, but unquestionably second to revive nades. No reason to not run a brick but if you didn't want you, you could use medkits and the shield dong

I like 2x or irons for the Tross

The Rebel is the best sidearm in the game. More versatile than the Commish and has 4 more rounds and a much quicker reload

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 21, 2014

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The NC were amazingly on the ball today, as were the TR. Two huge, highly organized platoons zerging air, vehicles and spanking every lancer nest that tried to get settled in, and similarly with the NC who kept pushing aggressively. TR got hung up at Allatum for a while though, and then everyone kinda.. focused on Hossin? Whatever though. #CertsForAll

Tawrich was a wash because the platoon there wasn't very organized and fulla pubbies who would get lazy when the first few minutes were silence, and then a wall of NC shotguns and manguards blew us down to the point that the platoon lead considered leaving Indar lol. Still fun and it was a mega bummer when he decided to run off Indar.

Fighting retreats are still a good flow of certs!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Epic High Five posted:

VS you've gotta get your ducks in a row. Had world pop or tied with NC most of the night but near warpgated on all but one cont (and on all conts where the pop is locked), then you guys give away Hvar to the TR almost uncontested to push Tawrich, but then never even get the gens down there. So no more Magriders! As funny as that was to see happen, it's not like you guys and probably TKing DaPP is the solution here

Honestly? Today we basically had a resolution to camp as many biolabs as possible to farm the gently caress out of everyone.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

VS you've gotta get your ducks in a row. Had world pop or tied with NC most of the night but near warpgated on all but one cont (and on all conts where the pop is locked), then you guys give away Hvar to the TR almost uncontested to push Tawrich, but then never even get the gens down there. So no more Magriders

Magriders don't make much of a difference? :shrug:
I can count on one hand the number of GOKU magriders I saw this evening.

Mostly because you can't pull armor into a biolab :getin:
edit: I wasn't there for acan, that sounds like it sucked. Murdering birgirpall's horrible pubsquad was good.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Camping biolabs is only fun when people show up to get farmed, though, which unfortunately didn't happen during the hour and a half I was on tonight at Acan.

pakman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 21, 2014

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Stele007 posted:

Was it just the two of you or did you play with an outfit? If the former, then yea the game is all about who has the most pop in a given hex. If the latter then there is a great deal of strategic depth. It just doesn't show up until a full squad minimum and really gets rolling around 3. I highly recommend checking out [goon] and [goku] and playing a few evenings in an organized group. I can't speak for [goon] but [goku] allows members to invite IRL friends they vouch for. Just post in the pgs thread and hop in mumble for an invite.

If you like shooters this is the most fun you can have killing nerds in space. The initial learning curve is near vertical so you wont have a real feeling for what's going on for at least a few days.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Higby posted:

the Aurax carbines get automatic soft point ammo, laser sight & underbarrel shotgun

The Mercenary Prime or whatever is going to be, uh, pretty goddamn great with those attachments

honda whisperer posted:

Was it just the two of you or did you play with an outfit? If the former, then yea the game is all about who has the most pop in a given hex. If the latter then there is a great deal of strategic depth. It just doesn't show up until a full squad minimum and really gets rolling around 3. I highly recommend checking out [goon] and [goku] and playing a few evenings in an organized group. I can't speak for [goon] but [goku] allows members to invite IRL friends they vouch for. Just post in the pgs thread and hop in mumble for an invite.

If you like shooters this is the most fun you can have killing nerds in space. The initial learning curve is near vertical so you wont have a real feeling for what's going on for at least a few days.

Official policy in GOON is pretty lax - no shitlords, and it helps if you know someone in already. I find things run better when you make them earn an ejection rather than an entrance, at least in PS2

This post is solid gold btw, it's a different game in outfits. I recommend you join us or at least a non-poo poo public platoon. On the NC side I recommend, if not GOON, VCO and PotP generally, or even one of GOON's public squads. Not sure about good VS open squads.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

pakman posted:

Camping biolabs is only fun when people show up to get farmed, though, which unfortunately didn't happen during the hour and a half I was on tonight at Acan.

I killed over 400 people in 3 hours how were you not getting any kills?

I was so burned out from those bio labs.

Epic High Five posted:

The Mercenary Prime or whatever is going to be, uh, pretty goddamn great with those attachments

Official policy in GOON is pretty lax - no shitlords, and it helps if you know someone in already. I find things run better when you make them earn an ejection rather than an entrance, at least in PS2

This post is solid gold btw, it's a different game in outfits. I recommend you join us or at least a non-poo poo public platoon. On the NC side I recommend, if not GOON, VCO and PotP generally, or even one of GOON's public squads. Not sure about good VS open squads.

Ugh a loving solstice with UBS? jesus i just remembered how loving awful the solstice was haha welp guess that 5th carbine aurax doesn't need to be prioritized.... poo poo same with ARs hahahaha.

Arghy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 21, 2014

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Arghy posted:

I killed over 400 people in 3 hours how were you not getting any kills?

I was so burned out from those bio labs.

I guess i showed up at the end vOv. That and I was playing LA jumping around on the roofs and got only a few kills.

Speaking of playing LA what attachments should I be using on the Zenith? I just auraxed the Pulsar C and need a new fun to work on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What do y'all recommend as far as flak armor/nanoweave/bandoliers go? I'm thinking that LA and HA should go for nano weave so that we're better "basic" troopers but I don't know.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

What do y'all recommend as far as flak armor/nanoweave/bandoliers go? I'm thinking that LA and HA should go for nano weave so that we're better "basic" troopers but I don't know.

Grenade bandolier is by far the best suit slot on every class. Otherwise, I'm very fond of advanced shield capacitor for eliminating downtime.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is the small arms damage reduction negligible?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gobblecoque posted:

Grenade bandolier is by far the best suit slot on every class. Otherwise, I'm very fond of advanced shield capacitor for eliminating downtime.

I like ammo belt on LA, but other than that, yeah. Throw grenades everywhere everytime for every reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

pakman posted:

Speaking of playing LA what attachments should I be using on the Zenith? I just auraxed the Pulsar C and need a new fun to work on.

I personally would recommend a 1x or 2x dot and at least the Advanced Foregrip. Barrel to taste. The whole point of the gun is to ADS, and it's got some pretty rough jitter without the grip.

• Locked thread