Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that's Saville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

SedanChair posted:

Pretty sure that's Saville.

Savile is clearly bottom right, I think we're talking about the caricature on the left.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I think he's talking about the michael caine looking fucker (the green one) and I can only assume that's Rolf Harris.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has Michael Cain deteriorated massively since the last time I checked? I was talking about the one above the Savile-worm, who probably is Harris. He just looks a lot more kempt than I envision him. The left-most one is definitely Smith.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

goatface posted:

OUR BOYS in the army were more recently shooting Argentinians than Germans, so they receive a higher hatred rating.

Thanks to the Argentinians, troops have to be deployed to a desolate rock in the middle of the South Atlantic ocean, hundreds of miles from any real civilisation, with gently caress all to do except drink, trying not to drive into minefields, and moaning about how poo poo the place is, for 4-6 months at a time.

Whereas thanks to Germany, troops got deployed to Germany, which is a very nice place to live.

hazza fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 15, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I always assumed the endless Argentina bashing was more because England supporters still haven't got over Maradona and the Hand of God, than anything to do with the Falklands war.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Maybe for any given Brit, but the Express is definitely yammering on about the Falklands.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

I always assumed the endless Argentina bashing was more because England supporters still haven't got over Maradona and the Hand of God, than anything to do with the Falklands war.

I don't think any country would have gotten over the Hand of God bullshit, but it being the express it's more so Falklands yar yar :britain: type deal.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the questions arising over David Cameron's judgment as Butler-Sloss resigns"

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's cabinet reshuffle – Prime minister David Cameron has cleared out a dozen middle-aged and older men from his ministerial ranks" After Goya.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Angelina Jolie there, who is well known for being the Mekon in a ginger wig. Does he only own one hair-coloured crayon or something?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Israeli airstrikes on Gaza – Officials say more than 200 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, including four children killed in an Israeli strike on Gaza beach"

Telegraph:

MEPs elect Jean-Claude Juncker to head EU Commission

Independent:

Cabinet 'certainly Eurosceptic', says Michael Fallon

Times:

Daily Mail reshuffle story 'sexist', says Nick Clegg

Express:

Philip Hammond - Wikipedia.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
Headline of the day.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
For a minute I forgot that in the UK the toilet means the whole room, and that was a very amusing minute.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
What is the Times doing running cartoons that have something at least mildly interesting to say

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Michael Gove's first day as chief whip – Michael Gove has been mocked for apparently getting stuck in a toilet on the first day of his new job as chief whip"

Telegraph:

Lib Dems accused of 'hypocrisy' over bedroom benefit rules

Independent:

Times:

Juncker and Cameron's high-five defuses awkwardness at meeting

Express:

:sun: It's hot! :supaburn:
Express's 2014 "It's hot!" Cartoon Count: 2

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on flight MH17 and the Gaza invasion – This week ended with a double dose of horror: Israel's ground incursion into Gaza, and the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17"

Independent:

After Magritte.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Cabinet reshuffle: the night of the long stilettos - Chris Riddell on ministers who felt the sharp point of David Cameron's dagger"

Independent on Sunday:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I feel like Rowson doesn't get enough props in this thread because it's fun to talk poo poo about the bad ones but really, he's non-stop class. Not only is every piece something you could hang in a gallery, he pretty much always takes a thoughtful approach to the imagery and analogies he uses.

And on the other hand that Indy one is really lazy. At least the Times got some really dark satire in there

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I feel like Rowson doesn't get enough props in this thread because it's fun to talk poo poo about the bad ones but really, he's non-stop class. Not only is every piece something you could hang in a gallery, he pretty much always takes a thoughtful approach to the imagery and analogies he uses.

And on the other hand that Indy one is really lazy. At least the Times got some really dark satire in there

Yeah, he also puts effort into it like he literally paints them. Steve Bell does too but for some unknown reason hes been very hit and miss the last 12months. But when he hits. :jizz:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm not ragging on anyone's style or anything (except Thomas obviously), I just think Rowson's in a class of his own with these. It's not like cartoons have to be that involved but it's great that his are!

Someone uploaded that bit on the One Show with all the cartoonists, if anyone's interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDfjmkp8gE
Mostly Rowson talking poo poo about everyone and ignoring Nadine Dorries

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I'm not ragging on anyone's style or anything (except Thomas obviously), I just think Rowson's in a class of his own with these. It's not like cartoons have to be that involved but it's great that his are!

Someone uploaded that bit on the One Show with all the cartoonists, if anyone's interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDfjmkp8gE
Mostly Rowson talking poo poo about everyone and ignoring Nadine Dorries

Rowson owns! :allears:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the world's current conflicts – World's anger at Russia grows following the downing of flight MH17, while the conflict in Gaza escalates, Isis militants gather strength in Syria and Baghdad bombings kill dozens"

Saturday's Telegraph:

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Not a pun on the Buk missile, 4/10

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I don't remember Lenin being so fat or misshapen. How come Thomas can do passable caricatures sometimes but not when he's drawing portraits and people in the background?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stottie Kyek posted:

I don't remember Lenin being so fat or misshapen. How come Thomas can do passable caricatures sometimes but not when he's drawing portraits and people in the background?

Is it really supposed to be Lenin? Looks more like Khrushchev to me, although I can't imagine why his portrait would be there.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

His friend does most the caricatures. The fine pen is the give away sign. This one makes it one of the more obvious ones:

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

According to that youtube video Bob is actually a surprisingly young guy with a patchy beard which is not at all how I imagined him given his output.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Actually when I saw it I thought 'ohhhh that explains a lot'. LOL MLIBLAND DUM

Unless you mean his pro-tory stance which is probably down to him working for the Telegraph. Apparently he's also done work for the Morning Star which is pretty :psyduck: but I can't find any actual examples of it. Maybe it's the same Miliband material without any tories

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Clapham Omnibus posted:

According to that youtube video Bob is actually a surprisingly young guy with a patchy beard which is not at all how I imagined him given his output.

First three posts of the OP has a little bio of all the UK cartoonists (apart from Paul Thomas I forgot to do his). :)

Fluo posted:

Bob Moran

Bob Moran is weird, not much known about him apart from:

quote:

Bob is a freelance cartoonist and illustrator. He graduated from the illustration degree at University College Falmouth in 2008 and has since worked for a range of national and international clients. Bob occasionally does political cartoons for The Guardian and is a regular cartoonist for The Daily Telegraph.

Quite weird he does for both the Guardian and the Telegraph.

His Guardian Stuff:

His Telegraph Stuff:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Fluo posted:

His friend does most the caricatures. The fine pen is the give away sign. This one makes it one of the more obvious ones:

You have a source for this? What the gently caress is the point of thomas at all then?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His insightful ideas that so cuttingly display the people's politics.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Isn't Moran responsible for this masterpiece

Also I'm incredibly shaken that Thomas doesn't even do his own portraits. Just die, what are you for :psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The finer line is damning evidence, nobody could afford two pens.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Clearly he owns more than two pens. Felt tips are still pens.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

The finer line is damning evidence, nobody could afford two pens.

Betjeman posted:

You have a source for this? What the gently caress is the point of thomas at all then?

I'll find the source I read about it a while ago, it's somewhere in UK Political Cartoon Mega Thread #1. Generally once in awhile his buddy helps him out. Sometimes he just does a detailed bird sometimes he does the face. Paul also has a blog as hes a keen bird watcher: http://thenuthatchchronicle.blogspot.co.uk/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's true, here's the original

Of course he's dedicated years learning to draw her Madge, he'd probably never have left the Express offices alive otherwise

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 21, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

It's true, here's the original

You been reading this thread aswell? :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fluo posted:

You been reading this thread aswell? :v:

Haha, I've seen it before while trawling for 'that one lovely cartoon' when google image search isn't turning anything up. Is that where the rumours came from?

Also while I'm on the subject, am I the only one who looks at Thomas's Putin and sees Daniel Craig? I mean I know he's the number one superspy and all but you'd think replacing the effective head of the Russian government without being detected is a bit of a stretch

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even if Thomas does all of his own artwork, he still can't draw actual people in his own style without meticulously copying from references (bar a few he's spent a lot of time drawing, like the Queen).

He's actually played a large part in getting me to draw; if someone that terrible can succeed, then I sure as hell can too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Haha, I've seen it before while trawling for 'that one lovely cartoon' when google image search isn't turning anything up. Is that where the rumours came from?

Also while I'm on the subject, am I the only one who looks at Thomas's Putin and sees Daniel Craig? I mean I know he's the number one superspy and all but you'd think replacing the effective head of the Russian government without being detected is a bit of a stretch

So as I was hunting for the source (SA search is down) so had to get my google fu up. Found a photo of Paul Thomas though which trust me, was a nightmare 12months ago. If I recall it was some form of interview and he talked about how his good friend would help him out, like how MAC puts in a drawing of his wife somewhere hidden in the non-political cartoons he does.

My google fu isn't coming up with anything, I will someday find it again though unless SA search is back up.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Even if Thomas does all of his own artwork, he still can't draw actual people in his own style without meticulously copying from references (bar a few he's spent a lot of time drawing, like the Queen).

He's actually played a large part in getting me to draw; if someone that terrible can succeed, then I sure as hell can too.

Keep it up! (he made a killing in the 80s and 90s doing Matt level cartoons)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread