Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

King Vidiot posted:

But with a circle and slash through it because he didn't say fudge.

Photograph of Giger's Penis Landscape sculpted in fudge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I keep waiting for the day I come across a minimalistic poster for Planes, Trains & Automobiles that's just the Ghostbusters poster, but with the ghost swapped out for a pair of pillows.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Merle doesn't have a kicking rad mowhawk, will not watch.

Seriously, Yondu's got a kicking rad mowhawk and with all the artificial hair on Glenn Close, you'd think they'd spring for a giant murderhawk for Michael Rooker.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vagabundo posted:

Remember that creepy doll from The Conjuring that they were obviously desperate to make a movie about?

Yep.

A bit about the "real" Annabelle doll. Not so scary, is it?

http://doubtfulnews.com/2014/07/the-warrens-sorting-the-truth-from-hollywood-myth/

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Mister J posted:

From a page back but

Some guy at the design office really likes making Marvel's women look like they're awkwardly dancing in place.
When looking at both posters this was really what popped in my head.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrapposto
Not the most successful or really even intentional form of the stance but standing off axis is not an entirely unheard of concept in design.

Also regarding the minimalist posters, I would love to see a better version of the back to the future one. It's a nice concept with a boring execution.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Merle doesn't have a kicking rad mowhawk, will not watch.

Seriously, Yondu's got a kicking rad mowhawk and with all the artificial hair on Glenn Close, you'd think they'd spring for a giant murderhawk for Michael Rooker.
He's got that bicycle-reflector mohawk right there.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Vincent posted:

He's got that bicycle-reflector mohawk right there.

And yet that spaceship is still about to land on him. Are they blind?

Compare and Contrast: Last Friday' s home double-feature edition.

ACROSS 110th Street vs.GALAXY OF TERROR.

Guess who survives the flick group-shot version.

Mortified Anthony Quinn DVD version.

Best tagline version.

Best Italian title version.

Lurid, if slightly inaccurate version of icky space-worm rape scene version!

Alternative title obvious ALIEN rip-off version

REALLY obvious ALIEN rip-off version

Obligatory Italian Oh-God-Look-at-Erin-Morans-Giant-Eyeballs version.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

The Annabelle real doll is terrifying, though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I realize the point of that blog is skepticism, but I doubt anyone thinks the Conjuring was a documentary just because it had some variation of "based on true events" on the poster.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Go ask any local bookstore how much their "New Age/Spirituality/Paranormal" section sells and prepare to be depressed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mind the walrus posted:

Go ask any local bookstore how much their "New Age/Spirituality/Paranormal" section sells and prepare to be depressed.

When I worked at Borders in 2010/2011 we made a killing selling books about the upcoming 2012 apocalypse. Between them and the middle aged ladies buying basket fulls of Harlequin Romance Novels we did well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Or don't be depressed because that poo poo's dope.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When I worked at Borders in 2010/2011 we made a killing selling books about the upcoming 2012 apocalypse. Between them and the middle aged ladies buying basket fulls of Harlequin Romance Novels we did well.

Sup 2010/2011 Borders employee :hf:

Sadly my store didn't do nearly as well, but we still had quite a bit of Doreen Virtue sales and the like. Then again yours couldn't have done that well either since the company went under that year. That was a really fun couple of months-- letting the stacks go to hell, telling customers to go gently caress themselves when they wanted you to find needles in a haystack, and scooping up awesome media at bargain prices.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

davidspackage posted:

I realize the point of that blog is skepticism, but I doubt anyone thinks the Conjuring was a documentary just because it had some variation of "based on true events" on the poster.

I liked The Conjuring a hell of a lot, but I really could've done without the movie arguing hard in favour for the Warrens. It's like it's saying "Ok this is just a movie, but they do the REAL work guys".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I worked at Waldenbooks in the mid-00s, and 90% of our sales were:

— School reading-list books
— Vampire detective novels
— Janet Evanovich
— titty mags

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm excited to see what the next APOCALYPSE OH LAWD craze is gonna be. I was too young for the Cold War nuke scares, then it was Y2K, then the 2012 Mayans...c'monnn, what's next?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I'm excited to see what the next APOCALYPSE OH LAWD craze is gonna be. I was too young for the Cold War nuke scares, then it was Y2K, then the 2012 Mayans...c'monnn, what's next?

Global Warming/Food & Water scarcity. Which have the advantage of being actually real.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

My favorite part of the movie is when everyone's down in the basement except the college intern, and suddenly thousands of birds start flying around the house. The birds leave before everyone gets out of the basement, so the only source there could be for that is the intern.

"Oh poo poo, it was crazy. fuckin' birds, man... y'all shoulda seen it"

Now I think what happened was like one bird flew into a window or something, the guy freaked out, so when everyone came up he was like "There were birds EVERYWHERE!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

morestuff posted:

I worked at Waldenbooks in the mid-00s, and 90% of our sales were:

— School reading-list books
— Vampire detective novels
— Janet Evanovich
— titty mags
Pretty sure that's most bookstores

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Global Warming/Food & Water scarcity. Which have the advantage of being actually real.

Nah those don't have the "event" feel to them where one day you just wake up and everything's different, you know, like a schoolchild's fantasy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty annoying blog set up but this is an interesting post about how 80s poster art got passed around.

http://tenaflyviper.tumblr.com/post/91300849855/lets-play-six-degrees-of-old-horror-movie-poster

Edit: Don't look at anything else on the blog though, the guy is a real rear end in a top hat about other stuff.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2014

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

51: Snow based comedies with a huddle of 3 or more people on the poster

(I'm counting the group in the lower right corner for this one)

Nest Time: "Snow based comedies without a huddle of 3 or more people on the poster"

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ski Patrol loving owns. It has my favorite prank played in any movie.

http://youtu.be/hK8fsGGqyp4

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

"Prey," huh? Is this a parody of the Donner Party?

Could it be?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Loving the clearly drawn on bikini on this one.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Like I'm not already eager for ski season to start.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

mind the walrus posted:

Hell, the public library I work at runs on that poo poo (Indigo Children, 2012, maya's, Erich von Däniken). We also have a section "reality/true stories" that's very tellingy put next to fiction, but that's less "The Amityville Horror" and more "Lifetime movie channel" type stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weird that the dude who directed this movie went on to write Cloud Atlas.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Weird that the dude who directed this movie went on to write Cloud Atlas.

Different David Mitchell, dude!

There's David Mitchell, novelist, David Mitchell, comedian, and then this hack

Wikipedia says there's also 6 other notable David Mitchells

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
The curse of David Mitchell strikes again.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Loving the clearly drawn on bikini on this one.

The weird thing is that when you look up that image it turns out there's varations in color and size of the bikini.

This is a far more elegant solution:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Different David Mitchell, dude!

No, I'm pretty sure it's the same one.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Am I getting old when my first thought is "Those girls are going to get hypothermia!"?

This (slightly NSFW) poster goes for the same approach as Ski School 2, only.. less so.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Am I getting old when my first thought is "Those girls are going to get hypothermia!"?

This (slightly NSFW) poster goes for the same approach as Ski School 2, only.. less so.

Sir, please stop staring at my thin, vertical nipple.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That whole poster just looks like a MAD Fold-In to me, with the fold being right at the ski pole covering the woman's (non-existent) nipple.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Lionsgate really need to fire their marketing team for The Expendables 3. Well the person designing the posters anyway.

Why do they look like rejected Superheroes?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are those real? Because holy poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress off Lionsgate - wow, terrible poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kelsey Grammer is ready for his fishing trip in Willy Wonka's chocolate stream.