Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Jade Empire did kind of suck. I played it for an hour or so and never went back. Conversely I loved the poo poo out KOTOR. Usually it ends up being tiny little things that make people decide whether they like a game or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Jade Empire did kind of suck. I played it for an hour or so and never went back. Conversely I loved the poo poo out KOTOR. Usually it ends up being tiny little things that make people decide whether they like a game or not.

I liked Jade Empire, it was a different sort of setting than we usually get and really felt like the Missing Link between KOTOR and Mass Effect.

It definitely wasn't a fantastic game but I've spent my time completing far worse games, can't blame Bioware for doing a couple of things differently for once at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VodeAndreas posted:

I liked Jade Empire, it was a different sort of setting than we usually get and really felt like the Missing Link between KOTOR and Mass Effect.

It definitely wasn't a fantastic game but I've spent my time completing far worse games, can't blame Bioware for doing a couple of things differently for once at least.

I've got a real soft spot for Jade Empire.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Almost as if it makes more sense to rate individual games than divide the company's track record into made up eras.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spiderdrake posted:

To be fair Sonic's head is so filled with eyeballs they overlap in the middle of his face, so anime eyes are probably a step back.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 21, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

This will be the new viral hit on Steam. Also I can't wait for nerd retard tears :allears:.

Hopefully we can move to step 2: Greenlighting Cho-Aniki.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Apropos of nothing: is there an in-universe reason the water monsters from Amnesia can't leave the water? This is bugging me today for some reason.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Because they are half amphibian

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

razorrozar posted:

Apropos of nothing: is there an in-universe reason the water monsters from Amnesia can't leave the water? This is bugging me today for some reason.

Then they wouldn't be water monsters, now would they?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I've been playing around with The Forest because some Steam goons were praising it, but geez, there's really not much there at the moment. It has the backbone of a fun crafting/survival game, but I think I'll let this one simmer for another six months or so.

I do not love or hate Early Access, but everyone may now tell me in exhausting detail how they feel about it for the next five pages.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

VodeAndreas posted:

Let's get an Obsidian-developed Jade Empire sequel in this bitch.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

lordfrikk posted:

Almost as if it makes more sense to rate individual games than divide the company's track record into made up eras.

I'm not a big fan of Blizzard's post 9/11 work whereas Valve's Iraq war era seems to be quite good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

lordfrikk posted:

Especially when there are different studios within a company, etc.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm trying to get local split screen working for Left 4 Dead 2 with KB+M for Player 1 and a wired 360 Controller for Player 2. Everything works fine except P2 can't look up or down, there's a few google hits but the discussions are a little incoherent. Anybody know how to get round it? I'm using a controller emulator which I guess made the config automatically.

e: I figured it out.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 21, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Has there been any word yet on if Sacred 3 is gonna have an open world layout like the first two games?

The videos make the combat look a lot more fast-paced than before, but at the same time I'm getting Dungeon Siege 3 vibes from what I've seen, for better or worse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tezzeract posted:

The new post-EA Bioware is a bit underrated in my books. ...whereas the newer titles are much more exciting to play.

Tezz, you should be posting in Hat Thoughts' thread. The Troll Steam thread. :mad:

Terrible, terrible opinions you have. GOod lord.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The combat in Jade Empire is so loving horrible and has aged even worse. I bought it and thought I'd dust it off but Christ it's just awful. Keyboard and mouse or controller, made no difference.

Conversely the combat in KoTOR isn't something to write home about but at least it's still playable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unrelated to that video. The merchant sings to the beat. Holy poo poo.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 21, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I seem to recall the combat in Jade Empire being "do three-hit combo over and over with occasional switches to other three-hit combos and the occasional special move". It was kinda dull and you could break it entirely in half sometimes (EG: Hitting someone with the electric stunning combo stuns them for longer than it takes to hit them with another combo, switch back to electricity stunning mode and stun them again for infinity stunlock) but at the end of the day it's a Bioware RPG that's not Mass Effect.

I think it actually has the best combat in any non-Mass Effect Bioware RPG. (Looking at you KOTOR, Baldurs Gate etc)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So the new Indie Gala bundle seems mostly crap, but Dark Scavenger is good for a dollar fifty.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I was pretty enamored with Jade Empire when it first launched. Something about it's mood and tone - an entire country stuck in a listless melancholy, almost like they are waiting for the world to end - was very interesting at the time. You go to some cool places and meet some interesting people, but mechanically it is a complete bore. Open palm and closed fist is a bad morality system that lead straight into the paragon and renegade Mass Effect dichotomy. At least in Mass Effect you can be an interesting rear end in a top hat, Jade Empire just makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Also I shelled out like 10 bucks more to play with a sword at launch which totally wasn't worth it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Thanks for mentioning Necrodancer, Lord Lambeth. I saw the trailer for it some time ago and was completely blanking on the name. Looking forward to it immensely.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh crap, I forgot just how thin a disguise "Open Hand" and "Closed Fist" were for a straight-up "Good vs Evil" alignment system. No no, "closed fist" choices might look evil you guys, but by feeding this guy to a demon I'm actually showing him how he should be strong and stand up for himself!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Open Hand and Closed Fist were awesome ideas implemented really badly. In theory, Closed Fist would be a practical morality system I could somewhat get behind, teach a man to fish over giving him one etc. In practice Closed Fist made you a baby eating rear end in a top hat for the sake of it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Any goonpinions on Frederic: Resurrection of Music or Salvation Prophecy?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Great, just whenever I get to thinking that if I can get the assorted stuff on my wishlist I'll be done buying games forever, I just have to check the new steam thread and Clockwork Empires, Mount your friends, and Crypt of the Necrodancer are coming out soon.

It never ends does it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Weeklong Deals:

Daedalic Adventure Pack (Deponia, Edna & Harvey 2, Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit, Memoria) - $24.99
100% Orange Juice - $3.49
EDGE Extended - $2.39
Flatout - $1.87
Flatout 2 - $2.49
Flatout 3 - $7.49
Flatout Ultimage Carnage - $4.99
Hacker Evolution: Untold - $1.99
Little Inferno - $4.99
RUSH - $0.99
Sacrifice - $4.99
Toki Tori 2+ - $2.99 (Toki Tori 1 $0.99)
Two Worlds II - $4.74

and some other poo poo http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Toki Tori 2 is a really good puzzle/platformer/adventure game but good loving lord is it hard.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gort posted:

Oh crap, I forgot just how thin a disguise "Open Hand" and "Closed Fist" were for a straight-up "Good vs Evil" alignment system. No no, "closed fist" choices might look evil you guys, but by feeding this guy to a demon I'm actually showing him how he should be strong and stand up for himself!

I kinda appreciated how much the 'closed fist' options ended up sounding like common right-wing rhetoric. 'I'll kick you in the face so you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps! Oh, you can't? Clearly you were doomed to fail anyway.' bullshit. Hatred and misanthropy with the thinnest veneer of self-assuaging benevolence.

I'm not entirely sure that Bioware intended for it to come off that way, though. They've always seemed a bit wooly on their actual intent, outside of more straightforward fantasy yarns like that Baldur's Gate series.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avadon 2 is $5, for a pretty good old school RPG.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

This will be the new viral hit on Steam. Also I can't wait for nerd retard tears :allears:.

There were entire lakes of tears over Mount Your Friends and its wobbly Speedo physics before, so I'm expecting entire seas this time around.

I've got Jade Empire for PC in the old Cardboard Box Edition and... ugh. It's really just a lovely port of a console KOTOR. Seriously, right down to the section where people are trapped underground, turning into cannibal mutants, and the insistence on using static loops of gibberish when aliens/furriners talk and claiming that it's an actual language that some linguistics expert spun up.

I think the worst part was that they couldn't even keep a steady tone. You've got this grim story of grim revenge and grim malaise and it's so grim the dead can't tell the difference between the lands of the living and the dead... and then your party is loaded with luminaries like not-Professor Farnsworth and Henpecked Hou. They're occasionally funny, sure. Funnier than Minsc asking Jaheira to tell him about the rabbits again. Just a tiny bit out of genre, still.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My brother and I co-opped our way through Torchlight 2 a few months ago and now want a similar experience. What's the most fun game in that style?

I play a ton of Marvel Heroes already and he won't play it with me :colbert: Jerk.

I guess is Diablo 3 our best bet?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

triplexpac posted:

My brother and I co-opped our way through Torchlight 2 a few months ago and now want a similar experience. What's the most fun game in that style?

I play a ton of Marvel Heroes already and he won't play it with me :colbert: Jerk.

Diablo 3 is great to co-op in, yeah. If you like Torchlight 2, it'll be right up your alley.

Also, not exactly in a similar style, but the Saints Row games are fun as hell to play co-op!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

triplexpac posted:

Probably, yeah. While I really enjoyed PoE, it's way too complicated to just co-op play. Marvel Heroes would be an even better fit, but since he won't play that...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triplexpac posted:

Try The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Combat is a lot of fun, plot is fun and non-serious, and it all about blasting through enemies while finding sweet loot instead of finding sweet loot to blast through enemies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Flatout - $1.87
Flatout 2 - $2.49
Flatout 3 - $7.49

Wow, they just keep making Flatouts huh? Regardless of any demand or desire?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I loved the Jade Empire setting but good god was it a horror to actually play. I never even got past the first village before putting it down. I'd be totally down for something in that setting with a not absolutely terrible combat system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Flash Bundle: Simulators (two Sim bundles in one week??)

$1

Bridge Project
Trainz Simulator 12 (it does have a Z in it....)
Euro Truck Simulator
Wildlife Park 3

$6

Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Agricultural Simulator 2013
Pool Nation
Professional Farmer 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Everblight posted:

Wow, they just keep making Flatouts huh? Regardless of any demand or desire?

They only really made two (2.5 if you count the Ultimate Carnage re-release), and they were well regarded. The third is a shovelware shitheap by a third-party studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Quest For Glory II posted:

Flatout 3 - $7.49
Flatout Ultimage Carnage - $4.99

FlatOut UC is a good game for the $5 if you're into racing. Flatout 3 (the latest one) is a disaster and you should stay away from it.

• Locked thread