Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Xaris posted:

Try The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Combat is a lot of fun, plot is fun and non-serious, and it all about blasting through enemies while finding sweet loot instead of finding sweet loot to blast through enemies.

Seconding this. It's probably my favourite ARPG that isn't diablo, and your diablo options are either £66 to get in to or fifteen years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Flash Bundle: Simulators (two Sim bundles in one week??)

$1

Bridge Project
Trainz Simulator 12 (it does have a Z in it....)
Euro Truck Simulator
Wildlife Park 3

$6

Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Agricultural Simulator 2013
Pool Nation
Professional Farmer 2014

Just a warning, this isn't the Euro Truck Simulator everyone raves about (which would be the second).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dominic White posted:

They only really made two (2.5 if you count the Ultimate Carnage re-release), and they were well regarded. The third is a shovelware shitheap by a third-party studio.
1, 2, Ultimate Carnage (The best one) and Next Car Game.

From what I remember 1 had a really good reception, it did have some cool stuff going for it. Off-road racing with lots of physics objects littering the tracks and if you smashed hard enough you flew out of the car! :monocle: It is pretty loving cool for 2004. So a sequel was made.
Ultimate Carnage was a 'next-gen' remake for 360/PC of Flatout 2.

Next Car Game is interesting. They held a Kickstarter for it. They wanted $350,000. It was bombing hard so they cancelled it. They got up to $81,772.
So they released a little demo of what they had to get pre-orders and boy that was successful so they took it to the next step. They released it on Steam Early Access. It apparently made over $1,000,000 in one week alone.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

triplexpac posted:

My brother and I co-opped our way through Torchlight 2 a few months ago and now want a similar experience. What's the most fun game in that style?

I play a ton of Marvel Heroes already and he won't play it with me :colbert: Jerk.

I guess is Diablo 3 our best bet?

D3 is pretty solid now a days, the 2.1 content patch should be coming around sometime too.

As much as I've played MH its certainly got some quality issues now and then with some questionable design/system changes. But it does update often which just draws me in to check out whats new :smith:.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Croccers posted:

1, 2, Ultimate Carnage (The best one) and Next Car Game.

Flatout 1 holds a special place in my heard because 2 and 2.5 got rid of vehicle damage affecting handling. In 1 your shocks would blow and your car would start handling all crazy once it got beat to hell whereas it was all superficial in 2 and 2.5. Thankfully Next Car Game goes back to being more like 1 and Destruction Derby.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Isn't Sword of The Stars kinda good, or is there a good reason it's €2,49 ?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Flatout 1 holds a special place in my heard because 2 and 2.5 got rid of vehicle damage affecting handling. In 1 your shocks would blow and your car would start handling all crazy once it got beat to hell whereas it was all superficial in 2 and 2.5. Thankfully Next Car Game goes back to being more like 1 and Destruction Derby.
I both liked and hated that feature. It was a really cool level of detail for a not-sim racing game at that time but... if you got in a few rough hits your race was fuccccked.
I'm pretty sure it's still around in Ultimate Carnage but it's not as severe. Your car can start to limp and wobble but it's not race ruining.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Darth Various posted:

It's a game from 2006 and is 75% off, so that price is perfectly fitting. It's a decent game, just a bit flawed. Probably not bad considering the space strategy genre is in the shitter right now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Various posted:

It's pc gaming. Using price as an indicator of quality is such a wrong method you may as well try shoving dog kibble up your rear end to figure out the air pressure in your car tires.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Are there any discounts going for Divinity Original Sin? I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics-like games last night, but Divinity is looking really good from what I've seen. Don't really want to pay full price ($50? The DLC seems important judging by the Divinity thread title) when I already have a dozen Summer Sale games I haven't touched.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there are a couple guys in sa mart that can get it for like 25. hiddenmovement is one

e: 23.50 with his paypal fee https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 21, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Are there any discounts going for Divinity Original Sin? I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics-like games last night, but Divinity is looking really good from what I've seen. Don't really want to pay full price ($50? The DLC seems important judging by the Divinity thread title) when I already have a dozen Summer Sale games I haven't touched.

It's brand new and has only JUST been dethroned from its three-week stint in the top-selling game on Steam by the current Quakecon Deal Of The Day. gently caress-all chance of it being discounted anytime soon. It's selling by the boatload still.

The Digital Collectors Edition is a two-pack, though. If you have a friend you can split the cost with, that's the cheapest way to get it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Phenotype posted:

$50? The DLC seems important judging by the Divinity thread title
No the DLC isn't important at all it's just some extras that you could get during the kickstarter. I guess they just have it for completeness sake. Your game won't suffer from not having it.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Awesome! posted:

there are a couple guys in sa mart that can get it for like 25. hiddenmovement is one

e: 23.50 with his paypal fee https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

Last I checked you could get it for 8-9 keys from Russia. Might cost slightly less than this but I have no idea what keys cost in $ right now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Thanks for that -- I now have it downloading courtesy of the other SA Mart Steam game seller (hiddenmovement wasn't on). I don't think the Russian keys are kosher for SA, though. I remember hearing something about how it's arbitrage(?) and if not exactly illegal, then pretty close.

You guys suggested Divinity and Shadowrun last night when I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics clones, though. I guess I'm set for a while with Divinity, but are there any good FFT-style RPGs that have come out in the last few years? I tend to compare Divinity more to Baldur's Gate, which is turn-based strategy, I suppose, but wrapped up in the WRPG exploration package. I'm thinking more of "Here is a battle, now tinker with your men, now here is another battle." The closest I've played in the last few years was The Banner Saga, but that game was kinda meh. Totally worth buying, though, if only because it had fantastic illustrations and worldbuilding, and it's the sort of indie game where you can tell a ton of their cash went into actually building the engine, and so the game isn't as fleshed out as you'd like. But you can tell that, if they can afford to make another game to reuse the engine on, it'll be fantastic -- there's a ton of potential there if they could spend the majority of their budget on working on the actual game.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Phenotype posted:

Thanks for that -- I now have it downloading courtesy of the other SA Mart Steam game seller (hiddenmovement wasn't on). I don't think the Russian keys are kosher for SA, though. I remember hearing something about how it's arbitrage(?) and if not exactly illegal, then pretty close.

You guys suggested Divinity and Shadowrun last night when I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics clones, though. I guess I'm set for a while with Divinity, but are there any good FFT-style RPGs that have come out in the last few years? I tend to compare Divinity more to Baldur's Gate, which is turn-based strategy, I suppose, but wrapped up in the WRPG exploration package. I'm thinking more of "Here is a battle, now tinker with your men, now here is another battle." The closest I've played in the last few years was The Banner Saga, but that game was kinda meh. Totally worth buying, though, if only because it had fantastic illustrations and worldbuilding, and it's the sort of indie game where you can tell a ton of their cash went into actually building the engine, and so the game isn't as fleshed out as you'd like. But you can tell that, if they can afford to make another game to reuse the engine on, it'll be fantastic -- there's a ton of potential there if they could spend the majority of their budget on working on the actual game.

Have you tried Skulls of the Shogun?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - :argh:

Phenotype posted:

You guys suggested Divinity and Shadowrun last night when I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics clones, though. I guess I'm set for a while with Divinity, but are there any good FFT-style RPGs that have come out in the last few years? I tend to compare Divinity more to Baldur's Gate, which is turn-based strategy, I suppose, but wrapped up in the WRPG exploration package. I'm thinking more of "Here is a battle, now tinker with your men, now here is another battle." The closest I've played in the last few years was The Banner Saga, but that game was kinda meh.

The XCOM stuff. Xenonauts.

Skulls of the Shogun is really fun.

edit: I'm not messing with you; you should really check out Frozen Synapse. You don't really 'upgrade' but it's a FANTASTIC turn-based tactical game.

edit: Redux: This game, Halfway, looks like it could be pretty rad. Comes out tomorrow. I'm going to hold off on buying it until I can check out some reviews, but from what I see I want to play.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 21, 2014

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Expedition:Conquistadors has turn based xcom style combatand is good

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would say that it's much more HOMM style than Xcom style.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImPureAwesome posted:

Conquistadors has turn based xcom-lite style combatand is good

gently caress me. I had totally forgotten about that. Yeah, it's a REALLY good game. Heck, aside from XCOM you should get Conquistadors before any of the other suggestions.

Get Conquistadors over Shadowrun any day.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahah man Fallout 3 GOTY is buggy as gently caress ain't it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Awesome! posted:

This is totally a money laundering scheme.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm sure all those people posting that they're happy with their deals are wrong, then.

I beat Oath in Felghana on Nightmare just now, which I'm pretty happy about. Origin is supposed to be a little easier, right?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

This is totally a money laundering scheme.

please support our enterprising goons and help them launder their dirty dirty dota money

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

GreenNight posted:

Have you tried Skulls of the Shogun?

Skulls of Shogun takes a while to get going - it doesn't really get interesting until 4 hours into the game when you unlock most of the monks. The multiplayer might be better, but I never had any luck getting in a match.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Halfway looks pretty legit. Lasersquad/Rebelstar Tactics are great games to take inspiration from.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
I'm guessing the halfway devs are inspired by ye olde rebelstar and laser squad games by the Gollops, hope it's good.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm sure all those people posting that they're happy with their deals are wrong, then.

I beat Oath in Felghana on Nightmare just now, which I'm pretty happy about. Origin is supposed to be a little easier, right?

Origin is easier, yes.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Phenotype posted:

I don't think the Russian keys are kosher for SA, though. I remember hearing something about how it's arbitrage(?) and if not exactly illegal, then pretty close.

Discussion of buying Russian cd keys is banned on SA, trading tf2 keys to Russians for Steam gifts isn't, as far as I know, banned. With a tiny bit of research you can make massive savings. People should really look into it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a reason why I shouldn't purchase kerbal space program? It's been on my list for a while and think I want to impulse it while on sale.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't purchase kerbal space program? It's been on my list for a while and think I want to impulse it while on sale.

It's amazingly fun, and it's got a fairly competent career mode now, so it's a good time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tater_salad posted:

It's really bad and is a glorified physics tech demo that stumbled into a funny mascot :jeb:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Acquire Currency! posted:

Hahah man Fallout 3 GOTY is buggy as gently caress ain't it.

Probably the best bug I ever encountered was a Deathclaw chasing me out in the open and it just suddenly propels into the skybox.

And then it landed.

Gravity's a bitch when you land. :v:

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Phenotype posted:

You guys suggested Divinity and Shadowrun last night when I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics clones, though. I guess I'm set for a while with Divinity, but are there any good FFT-style RPGs that have come out in the last few years?

In addition to everything that was mentioned Antisquad may be worth a look:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268200/

(I own it but have not played it yet.)

TheCoon posted:

Discussion of buying Russian cd keys is banned on SA, trading tf2 keys to Russians for Steam gifts isn't, as far as I know, banned. With a tiny bit of research you can make massive savings. People should really look into it.

Might as well pirate the game. At least you are not supporting shady businesses with your money.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Honestly the best thing you could do if you want something like FFT is to play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (it's by Yasumi Matsuno, the guy that was the director/writer of FFT). Which is a PSP game. :v: It's available digitally on Vita as well, but again it's not a PC game. I can't think of anything on PC that actually plays like FFT except in the broadest terms.

The guy that made FFT also has an SRPG in development right now called Untold Story: Tale of the Guardians. It's a phone game, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

tater_salad posted:

No, it's great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly the best thing you could do if you want something like FFT is to play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (it's by Yasumi Matsuno, the guy that was the director/writer of FFT). Which is a PSP game. :v: It's available digitally on Vita as well, but again it's not a PC game. I can't think of anything on PC that actually plays like FFT except in the broadest terms.

The guy that made FFT also has an SRPG in development right now called Untold Story: Tale of the Guardians. It's a phone game, though.

PSP emulation has recently become a solid choice. It's worth considering.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

PSP emulation has recently become a solid choice. It's worth considering.

for the sake of the thread: legalities. But yes, emulation is pretty much perfect for the PSP and the NDS. What you do with that knowledge is between you and your god.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The legality of it is why I didn't bring it up, but yeah it's an option if you don't own/want to buy a PSP/Vita.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I dislike this time of year. We're suffering a monstrous heat wave so even with my FPS throttled, both GPU and CPU fans make far more noise than I'm comfortable with. From a completely logical viewpoint I know my hardware isn't being damaged or anything, but my less rational brain says my computer will explode. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Discussion of emulators is allowed on these forums. Here's a thread about PSP emulation. I'm not sure how to rip UMDs without owning a PSP but it's completely reasonable to rip your own UMDs and play them on the PC. While we're talking about PSP games similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd like to throw in my vote for Jeanne d'Arc. The gameplay is very similar to FFT, and the plot is 'What if Joan of Arc was also Sailor Moon?'

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread