Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

ISIS wants to circumcise women now.

:psyduck:

Everytime I think they can't get worse, well... here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xandu posted:

Is that even worthy of calling news? I mean sure it's awful but female circumcision has been widespread among radical Islam and Christianity in Africa for decades. Had it just not gotten a foothold in the middle east before this or something? :confused:

EDIT: Some quick googling tells me that the practice has been declining in Iraq over the years, until now I guess. :smith:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 21, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Hahahah they are comically evil.

Things like this don't even make me laugh ironically anymore. :smith:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Xoidanor posted:

Is that even worthy of calling news? I mean sure it's awful but female circumcision has been widespread among radical Islam and Christianity in Africa for decades. Had it just not gotten a foothold in the middle east before this or something? :confused:

It's quite common in Egypt and I think in some of the Gulf countries, but I don't think it's that common everywhere. Not sure about Iraq.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
It's actually pretty common among the Iraqi Kurds from what I understand.

Not sure about the population as a whole.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4-ChcL6Pzo

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

And more importantly, ISIS is still fighting to hold onto its territory and Baghdadi's top priority is apparently issuing a decree calling for all women to be mutilated. As though there's nothing else to worry about.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Time lapse of all the attacks on hospitals in Syria.

http://t.co/YioU4Wrzv1

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Where's the data from?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Realtalk: How does woman circumcision work, exactly? :confused:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

kalstrams posted:

It's pretty gross.

Procedures section:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

Real answer: You don't want to know, but you're about to

World Health Organization posted:

Female genital mutilation is classified into four major types.

Clitoridectomy: partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris).

Excision: partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without excision of the labia majora (the labia are "the lips" that surround the vagina).

Infibulation: narrowing of the vaginal opening through the creation of a covering seal. The seal is formed by cutting and repositioning the inner, or outer, labia, with or without removal of the clitoris.

Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.

e: beaten

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Where's the data from?

The Syrian American Medical Society.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The first time I was introduced to female genital mutilation I realized to my horror that the Type I referred to the complete removal of the clitoris and it only gets worse from there.

Calling that poo poo "circumcision" is just a way to make it sound less like a crime than it is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

kalstrams posted:

It ranges from "merely" painful and unnecessary, to horrific and disfiguring. Think removal of clitoris, labia, and sewing up all but a small portion of the vagina itself, often with unsterilized tools and without anesthesia. Not for nothing is it generally referred to as "female genital mutilation"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Real answer: You don't want to know, but you're about to

e: beaten
Well, new knowledge is always a knowledge. Besides that, I am not really sensitive type so reading that will not cause some issues, for me at least.
Is there some "Halal type" of female circumcision, out of these four, or neither, or no particular rule about it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah the male equivalent would be getting your cock head lopped off, for a start.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
male circumcision I can understand. Its weird that male circumcision has religious significance but whatever.

female 'circumcision' is closer to castration in my uneducated opinion.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^It can have severe reproductive and other medical consequences.

Xandu posted:

And more importantly, ISIS is still fighting to hold onto its territory and Baghdadi's top priority is apparently issuing a decree calling for all women to be mutilated. As though there's nothing else to worry about.

The international community is hardly rushing to aid the Iraqi government though, and their counter attacks are not succeeding and fueled by equally sectarian militias. The IS honestly seem to have bitten off as much as they can chew and are acting accordingly by starting to govern the areas they control according to their principles, not to mention the recruiting benefits that such statements create. They are a theological militant movement, not a pillaging mercenary band.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
It's pretty drat invasive too for a "traditional" practice. I have too imagine it's not uncommon for girls to die from the procedure if it's performed in primitive conditions.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

kalstrams posted:

Is there some "Halal type" of female circumcision, out of these four, or neither, or no particular rule about it?

It's not even a loving Islamic thing, if you wanna see what I mean you should look up maps of FGM by country, in the traditional Islamic heartland it's only majorly practiced in three countries; Egypt, Iraq, and Yemen. The rest is in Saharan-Sub-Saharan Africa.

edit: for clarification, the process is not traditionally Islamic; though the practice is largely associated with African Islam, everything I've read suggests it predates the introduction of Islam to the regions where it is performed. That ISIS believes it is part of proper Islamic tradition is completely nuts.

An example of this I use is Togo, in which 50% of women experience genital mutilation, but only 20% of its population is muslim.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 22, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

namesake posted:

They are a theological militant movement, not a pillaging mercenary band.

They are kind of both.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

New Division posted:

It's pretty drat invasive too for a "traditional" practice. I have too imagine it's not uncommon for girls to die from the procedure if it's performed in primitive conditions.

You imagine correctly.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Each day you wonder how much worse can things get and here we are. There's no floor, no end in sight and we appear to be gaining momentum as we fall.

E: You have a valid point that when you view things from a geological timescale, FGM really doesn't seem so bad.

matrocious fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 22, 2014

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

matrocious posted:

Each day you wonder how much worse can things get and here we are. There's no floor, no end in sight and we appear to be gaining momentum as we fall.

This is bullshit. We're a flawed mammalian species and you're freaking out about things that have always happened but existed in a more unconnected world. It turns out the general species moves at a slower pace than whoever deems themselves 'enlightened' want it to go.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

male circumcision I can understand. Its weird that male circumcision has religious significance but whatever.

female 'circumcision' is closer to castration in my uneducated opinion.

This thread seems appropriate for some Hellraiser ish discussions of the flesh

'This is what you wanted...this is what you wanted to see...this is what you wanted to know! And here it is.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZjmGDLyM9Q&t=3690s

Maybe no one should surgically altered before they are old enough to make any kind of adult decisions about their bodies? (tattoos, piercings, etc)

Any kind of non-consensual mutilation should be taboo.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

We need a necromancer to bring back Saddam Hussein.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Hypothetically speaking, would any of this have happened if Hussein was still in power?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Of course not. No collapse of the Baathist government, no mass firings and dissolving of the army by Paul Bremer. No dissolved army and civil service, no sectarian war and training ground for militants.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Unless he was somehow overthrown without US involvement, then who the gently caress knows.

But yeah, hard to ignore the impact of the invasion on the outcome here.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
The ironic thing being that we destabilized the region so much that the idea of "fighting them over there" is actually working but in a completely incompetent way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Of course not. No collapse of the Baathist government, no mass firings and dissolving of the army by Paul Bremer. No dissolved army and civil service, no sectarian war and training ground for militants.

No Arab Spr

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

Unless he was somehow overthrown without US involvement, then who the gently caress knows.

But yeah, hard to ignore the impact of the invasion on the outcome here.

It's almost impossible to conceive of any other scenario where his power would have been challenged, which is probably why Israel was always up our rear end to invade. Maybe if he died and Qusay got sloppy or something, but the party was strong enough to maintain control with him as a figurehead.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Volkerball posted:

No Arab Spr

How do you come to this conclusion? Are you implying Hussein would have intervened in Tunisia, or that Tunisia would have never happened at all?

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

Red Pyramid posted:

How do you come to this conclusion? Are you implying Hussein would have intervened in Tunisia, or that Tunisia would have never happened at all?

He's implying a lot of the equipment and militias that are fighting in these conflicts started in Iraq or sent people to Iraq to train with the insurgents, or freedom fighters I hate both terms.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Red Pyramid posted:

No, I was saying that Arab Spring would've still happened. That's why I stopped midway through typing it, but that was poor framing on my part. SedanChair seemed to be jumping in with the "This is all because of Iraq" narrative, and it's a bit simplistic to me. Obviously the Iraq war, specifically debaathification and the power vacuum combined with a lot of pissed off Sunni's who no longer controlled the government, played a massive role in creating a sectarian hotbed in Iraq. But those aren't the only factors that have played a role in instability in the region, or the rise of jihadist forces throughout the MENA. Tyranny has also been a major issue. It was tyranny specifically that led to uprisings in Syria, Libya, Egypt, and Tunisia. There's no telling whether a Saddam-controlled Iraq would have also been on that chopping block, and even if not, there's little to suggest that the rise of Boko Haram, al-Shabaab, etc is closely linked to Iraq. Takfiri ideology has just become incredibly pervasive, and it is supported by some of the deepest pockets in the Middle East. It was going to grow, and alongside that, the tensions in the region that were ready to explode into unrest. The US is guilty of lighting the match (as an analogy, not to diminish the scale of the crimes committed by US forces in Iraq), but the powder keg was already there, and it's highly unlikely that it was going to be kept together by oppressive regimes pointing a gun at it in the long term.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think that without OIF the Middle East would look so radically different that one can't even speculate about the political situation in Tunisia, Egypt or elsewhere. Who can say? Thousands of geopolitical variables would be completely different. Obama wouldn't be president, just to name one. Maybe there would have been an eventual series of protests and uprisings across the ME, maybe not.

To say that Saddam would still be in power and keeping the Sunnis fully in control of a functioning state is a much simpler and more easily supported assertion. That means no Islamic State.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I think that without OIF the Middle East would look so radically different that one can't even speculate about the political situation in Tunisia, Egypt or elsewhere. Who can say? Thousands of geopolitical variables would be completely different. Obama wouldn't be president, just to name one. Maybe there would have been an eventual series of protests and uprisings across the ME, maybe not.

To say that Saddam would still be in power and keeping the Sunnis fully in control of a functioning state is a much simpler and more easily supported assertion. That means no Islamic State.

We probably would have treated the 2008 economic crises completely different.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm still not convinced Saddam wouldn't have continued his push into Assadlike terror/torture/control attacks and empowered insurgents anyway. He was a terrible human being. That said sometimes it's better to have a vicious leader in actual "control" than a huge melting pot of insanely violent rebels running around free. It's a shame they all can't just kill each other off really but that's pointless hope and not something that often happens in reality.

Question though, under Saddam was the military paid well at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The only real difference I see as far as the Spring is concerned is that there would be slightly less available extremist fighters to take advantage. Who knows if half the army wouldn't rise in rebellion though, they certainly did in Syria.

• Locked thread