Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

the official MS plan seems to be that the dev leads and PMs will write test scripts/requirements and do the testing themselves

what could possibly go wrong?

this is also what is being done where i work. i think they really want to be like the people you read blog articles about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

this is also what is being done where i work. i think they really want to be like the people you read blog articles about

yeah but when you have like 800 million customers that don't work so good

our QA/test gets a lot of poo poo here and they're kind of a pain to work with but we literally cannot ship broken stuff and they're good at finding it as inefficient as they are

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

i doubt that's going to ever be a problem at my company :)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Phobeste posted:

also holy poo poo why would you fire a shitton of testers. people who actually are good at and enjoy testing are pretty hard to come by.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

the official MS plan seems to be that the dev leads and PMs will write test scripts/requirements and do the testing themselves

what could possibly go wrong?

ohhhh my godddddd lolololololololol

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
on of our better testers is a dev that cares entirely too much

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft still doesn't have a device in the iPad category because the Surface has desktop windows. it seemed stupid to include it, but then again a metro-only surface would sell exactly zero because the platform had so little support. but if they had made a metro-only RT, the platform would be 2 years more mature today (plus whatever they ported over from Windows Phone). so i wonder how bad they regret that now.

just noticed that satya did not mention internet explorer in his missive. he named dropped and defended just about every other product.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

microsoft still doesn't have a device in the iPad category because the Surface has desktop windows. it seemed stupid to include it, but then again a metro-only surface would sell exactly zero because the platform had so little support. but if they had made a metro-only RT, the platform would be 2 years more mature today (plus whatever they ported over from Windows Phone). so i wonder how bad they regret that now.

just noticed that satya did not mention internet explorer in his missive. he named dropped and defended just about every other product.

but it needs office, so you can do Real Work. click in, do more

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

our QA/test gets a lot of poo poo here and they're kind of a pain to work with but we literally cannot ship broken stuff and they're good at finding it as inefficient as they are

satya is right on this one

if you look at the past 5 years ms products have been pretty stable (way less blue screens than before etc) whereas the premise and execution of the ideas behind them has been total poo poo

so you need every last precious pm and management layer but you can fire a bunch of testers because you can spare the capacity

qed

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

what if the qa testing is what kept it stable??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poty posted:

if you look at the past 5 years ms products have been pretty stable (way less blue screens than before etc) whereas the premise and execution of the ideas behind them has been total poo poo

so you need every last precious pm and management layer but you can fire a bunch of testers because you can spare the capacity

qed

ah, the john roberts school of logic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

ah, the john roberts school of logic

seems to be working well for him, personally

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

poty posted:

qed

firing managers and pms would objectively improve the design of their stuff

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram posted:

and by flatten the org we mean no managers will be fired

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im an individual contributor :kiddo:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

to enable 2-factor auth on your microsoft account, they literally ask you to install Google authenticator lol

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Well to be fair google authenticator works pretty well and is open source I think?

Still wouldn't trust it with the keys to anything important though.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

perfect for ms then

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Talorat posted:

Well to be fair google authenticator works pretty well and is open source I think?

until the google QA team forgets to check if the names of the applications attached to each key and you just have a list of numbers.

oops.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

john roberts

if you haven't listened to 'glass eights' u should

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Talorat posted:

yeah but can't they just text me the codes instead of relying on a third-party app that sucks

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
satya's crafty wank

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Athletic Footjob posted:

satya's crafty wank

post / username combo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
one person i know through a friend who was still there until last week worked as a release manager in azure. so like, the only person in the world who actually wanted to be the release guy, on the cloud product which is one half of your new mobile + cloud focus, who was actually competent and i don't even

clearly they are gutting everyone who is not pm/dev and its gonna be a riot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all those pms doing testing

it's going to be amazing

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i left ms in 07 but the pm i worked most closely with had 4 interest only mortgages on 4 different condos that he was leasing out and was trying really drat hard to convince me to do the same saying it was basically free money. i wish i knew how it worked out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

p sure you can guess how it worked out

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This is why I don't own property in the seattle area. Also, everyone's missing the major bomb MSFT dropped on all the tens of thousands of surrounding vendors who work with them.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/micro...s-page-subtitle

This basically means the entire seattle economy is now completely hosed and IT wages will plummet.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

winphoneface.png

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

earnings release fy14 q4 is out

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

treading water

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Microsoft CEO confirms the next version of Windows will work across all devices, from PCs to phones.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-bing-is-not-a-bottomless-money-pit-any-more-7000024555/

satya keep gunning for google search

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how bad is it. i broke down the apple one already.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they made $300 million less profit than this quarter last year. but more revenue (i.e. they have away xbox one's at a loss)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

oh, their phone hardware revenue went from 0 to 2 billion because of Nokia, of course

their "corporate and other" revenue went from 700 million to -125 million. what the hell was that?

they made... 18 million profit off of computer and gaming hardware... slow clap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Surface revenue was $409 million, driven by our second generation Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 devices, and the recent launch of Surface Pro 3.

Xbox Platform revenue increased $104 million or 14%, driven primarily by increased console revenue. We sold in 1.1 million consoles in the fourth quarter, as we drew down channel inventory, compared to 1.0 million consoles during the prior year.

We sold 5.8 million Lumia Smartphones, and 30.3 million non-Lumia phones following the completion of the NDS acquisition. Low price point devices drove a majority of the Lumia Smartphone volumes.

strong adoption of Office 365 Home and Personal offerings, which added more than 1 million subscribers in the fourth quarter to total more than 5.6 million.

Search revenue increased 40%, offset by an 11% decline in display revenue. Growth in search advertising revenue was due to higher revenue per search (“RPS”), increased search volume, and the expiration of North American RPS guarantee payments to Yahoo! in the prior year. U.S. search share grew again to 19.2%.

• Locked thread