Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

morestuff posted:

The missing tire definitely implies that.

One of the Jurassic World news blog things posted a photo of one of red and white gas jeeps being pulled out of storage and moved to set. I have no expectations of JW being any good at all but their cynical application of nostalgia is reeling me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

beanieson posted:

Doesn't matter ~*~life finds a way~*~

Which probably doubles as the handwave for how that raptor was able to build and then lay its eggs in the nest under that wheel like that. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that arrangement makes no sense.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Which probably doubles as the handwave for how that raptor was able to build and then lay its eggs in the nest under that wheel like that. Unless I'm missing something obvious, that arrangement makes no sense.

Who says they're Raptor eggs? Raptor's love eggs.

Probably.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 22, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Maxwell Lord posted:

It did in the novel but I don't think the movies ever bothered with that detail.
The Lost World had a deleted scene that talks about how InGen has lost so much money paying off families of the deceased and for the dismantling of the park.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

The Lost World had a deleted scene that talks about how InGen has lost so much money paying off families of the deceased and for the dismantling of the park.

Should have run the park through a web of subsidiaries and shuttered them after the incident, instead disseminating the money to offshore tax havens or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

So this is from the San Diego Comic Con.

This poster has me more excited for the movie than anything else I've seen or heard, so good job I guess.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I was all onboard for Jurassic World until it turned out to be about an amazingly dangerous fake Dinosaur engineered to be a park attraction. gently caress that poo poo man. Half the appeal of Jurassic Park is that it's not a simple monster movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uh Jurassic Park is about as simple as monster movies get-- dude tries to make a dinosaur theme park; it backfires spectacularly.

That said where are you getting that Jurassic World is going to have or revolve around an entirely fictitious dinosaur, because given how tenuous most dinosaur information is anyway--Jurassic Park and going by this poster Jurassic World are both out of date since their dinosaurs don't have feathers; "yeah but they used frog DNA blah blah blah :rolleyes:"--it seems weird they'd invent a dinosaur out of whole cloth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That said where are you getting that Jurassic World is going to have or revolve around an entirely fictitious dinosaur,

It leaked and then the director confirmed it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Let me make the new Jurassic Park movie, it will be about Ingen's rivals who ditch the park idea but instead start doing Jurassic Pit fights.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

It leaked and then the director confirmed it.

Well that is just stupid. I mean Jurassic Park was never this bastion of scientific integrity to begin with, and I guess it's a lot better than the rumored "Dinosaurs armed with rockets and guns" poo poo that leaked like a decade ago, but it still sounds pretty bad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Uh Jurassic Park is about as simple as monster movies get-- dude tries to make a dinosaur theme park; it backfires spectacularly.

But the Dinosaurs themselves are treated as individual animals, even if collectively and with the hurricane they become a force of nature.

The new fictional dinosaur however is the size of a T-Rex, amphibious, smarter than Raptors, can chameleon with its surroundings and has to be taken down by Chris Pratt and an army of trained Raptors and a T-Rex. It just sounds like lovely power creep that turns regular animals into a singular super villain, which isn't something I give a poo poo about watching.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

and I guess it's a lot better than the rumored "Dinosaurs armed with rockets and guns" poo poo that leaked like a decade ago

I loving loved this idea :negative:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I loving loved this idea :negative:

Well some of it is intact in the new film because Chris Pratt is using trained Dinosaurs to fight and hunt the Megasaurus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean I'm not saying I wouldn't watch a movie with Dinosaurs armed with military weapons, it's just a dumb idea no matter how you slice it.

PriorMarcus posted:

But the Dinosaurs themselves are treated as individual animals, even if collectively and with the hurricane they become a force of nature.

The new fictional dinosaur however is the size of a T-Rex, amphibious, smarter than Raptors, can chameleon with its surroundings and has to be taken down by Chris Pratt and an army of trained Raptors and a T-Rex. It just sounds like lovely power creep that turns regular animals into a singular super villain, which isn't something I give a poo poo about watching.

Per my post a few above I actually agree, I just also think that Jurassic Park is a very simple movie when you get down to it-- that's part of its appeal.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

mind the walrus posted:

I mean Jurassic Park was never this bastion of scientific integrity to begin with

Maybe not, but it was certainly taken that way by the general public, hence all the dipshits still whining about how the feathered dinosaur theory is the "greatest crime science has ever committed" and so on because they think it turns their precious badass dinos into six-foot turkeys. :ironicat:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PriorMarcus posted:

I was all onboard for Jurassic World until it turned out to be about an amazingly dangerous fake Dinosaur engineered to be a park attraction. gently caress that poo poo man. Half the appeal of Jurassic Park is that it's not a simple monster movie.

That is literally the idea of the book, though. None of the dinosaurs are "real" "animals" they're theme park attractions. It's why the raptors are so goddamn smart.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Peanut President posted:

That is literally the idea of the book, though. None of the dinosaurs are "real" "animals" they're theme park attractions. It's why the raptors are so goddamn smart.

And big.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PriorMarcus posted:

Well some of it is intact in the new film because Chris Pratt is using trained Dinosaurs to fight and hunt the Megasaurus.
Can someone give me the link where he confirmed this? I know he confirmed the new dinosaur (which is the Carnasarus from the Lost World novel and arcade game), but not that plot point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Peanut President posted:

Yeah, but it's still not a dinosaur with chameleon powers and what-not.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

Let me make the new Jurassic Park movie, it will be about Ingen's rivals who ditch the park idea but instead start doing Jurassic Pit fights.

I bought a JP comic book as a kid at a grocery store once and some drug lord was using velociraptors as security. I poo poo you not.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mr.capps posted:

Would watch.

\/\/\/\/\/ Fair enough. I still think it's dumb though.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 22, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, but it's still not a dinosaur with chameleon powers and what-not.

That was in the book sequel. It was one of InGen's "future developments".

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Peanut President posted:

That was in the book sequel. It was one of InGen's "future developments".

It's hard to tell what they're going for with the limited details they've given. In the book it wasn't clear if that dinosaur was genetically modified, in fact I'm pretty sure it's done in the standard Crichton style of explaining the ability like it was a real, known dinosaur feature. The dinos in the sequel were all supposed to be more wild and beginning to re-adapt to their niches.

The Lost World book is great, it's filled with tons of little dino details and JP backstory and all these crazy action setpieces. It doesn't have the same high concept charm as the first novel, but for my money it's just as good of a read. I'll never understand how they chopped it up and wound up with the movie. Awesome motorcycle chase scene with raptors and tranq guns? No, we'll cut that. How about, like... a T. Rex shows up in San Diego?

Also, Jeff Goldblum is supposed to be off his tits on morphine for half of the movie. What focus group didn't want to see that?

edit:VV Oh, is it? I can't be bothered to rewatch the movie and find out.

Ror fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 22, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ror posted:

Awesome motorcycle chase scene with raptors and tranq guns? No, we'll cut that.

Isn't there a scene like that in the movie?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

In the novel a bunch of raptors chase a jeep up a steep hill or something, in the movie they chase and capture dinosaurs using customized jeeps and motorcycles. The trailer/cliff thing is in both the novel and the movie though. The San Diego sequence is cool though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

I mean I'm not saying I wouldn't watch a movie with Dinosaurs armed with military weapons, it's just a dumb idea no matter how you slice it.

That was enough to get my 15 bucks for Trans4mers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_post_349_width/2014/05/transformers_age_of_extinction_movie_poster.jpg

The 2 hour wait was still worth it! Now all that's left on my bucket list is Tyrannosaurs in F-14's!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ror posted:

It's hard to tell what they're going for with the limited details they've given. In the book it wasn't clear if that dinosaur was genetically modified, in fact I'm pretty sure it's done in the standard Crichton style of explaining the ability like it was a real, known dinosaur feature. The dinos in the sequel were all supposed to be more wild and beginning to re-adapt to their niches.

The Lost World book is great, it's filled with tons of little dino details and JP backstory and all these crazy action setpieces. It doesn't have the same high concept charm as the first novel, but for my money it's just as good of a read. I'll never understand how they chopped it up and wound up with the movie. Awesome motorcycle chase scene with raptors and tranq guns? No, we'll cut that. How about, like... a T. Rex shows up in San Diego?

Also, Jeff Goldblum is supposed to be off his tits on morphine for half of the movie. What focus group didn't want to see that?

Well I err on the side of modified because it makes sense compared to the first book of EVERYTHING was. The gas station scene was definitely weird and I still remember it to this day. I have no idea how good it would look on film, though.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
There are two annoying kid characters in the Lost World book. Both are even worse than the annoying kid character we got in the movie. T-Rex vs San-Diego is awesome.

Are we done snarking at the Expend Ables 3 posters yet. Because you guys missed out on the best one.

All hail the beak boner.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 22, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

High Warlord Zog posted:

There are two annoying kid characters in the Lost World book. Both are even worse than the annoying kid character we got in the movie. T-Rex vs San-Diego is awesome.

Are we done snaking at the Expend Ables 3 posters yet. Because you guys missed out on the best one.

All hail the beak boner.

Who the gently caress is Kellan Lutz?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Are the colors on the Expendables posters supposed to be meaningful or are they just like, attention-getting?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hat Thoughts posted:

Are the colors on the Expendables posters supposed to be meaningful or are they just like, attention-getting?

I guess they wanted to do the exact opposite of the earlier greyscale group photos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Young teen girl demographic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't get over the idea of a company engineering an exciting new dinosaur to boost visitor numbers and then making one of its selling points "incredible camouflage that makes it very difficult to see".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Red Bones posted:

I can't get over the idea of a company engineering an exciting new dinosaur to boost visitor numbers and then making one of its selling points "incredible camouflage that makes it very difficult to see".

You see the thing about Jurassic Park is that they're actually not that great at running a dinosaur theme park.

That's why the dinosaurs keep escaping and eating people.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I REALLY really like those colourful expendables3 posters. Would hang both the terry crews and kelsey grammar ones on my wall.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Red Bones posted:

"incredible camouflage that makes it very difficult to see".

This describes about 90% of the animals in any zoo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

All I can see with this latest batch of posters:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think the guys making posters for the Expendables 3 just keep having to make new posters, but don't get anything new to work with. "Christ, okay, uh..." *browses PS filters*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jN2PVU51Kg

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This describes about 90% of the animals in any zoo.

"I can't wait to see the tigers!"

-my 9 year old self before being told tigers sleep 23 hours a day like house cats