Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.

I think this was my favourite. This entire scene, the only thing moving was her mouth. So beautiful. You are so beautiful, Usagi.

This seems excessively sloppy to me for having to wait ~two weeks between episodes.

Don't get me wrong, there are some totally awesome things I really dig - I really like the direction they've taken so far with the attacks. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's my favourite thing and I'm really excited to see how they handle the other attacks if they keep this trend up. But some of this sloppy animation, especially in still scenes where only mouths/eyes are moving for extended periods of time, is really, really irritating and borderline Weiss Kreuz-territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

I don't know why, but I started giggling at Luna's odd face. It just looks really... off for some reason.

edit:

I have a hunch the blue hair is a wig.

no go on Quiznos fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver95280 posted:

I don't know why, but I started giggling at Luna's odd face. It just looks really... off for some reason.

The lack of stupid faces is getting to us, even relatively tame, accidental ones become hilarious through scarcity alone.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Silver95280 posted:

I have a hunch the blue hair is a wig.

She really is an android. :haw:

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
They will probably fix everything in the DVD/BD release. Though you'd think they'd get it right the first time having delayed the show so long and taking 2 weeks between episodes.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

So is the new Sailor Moon good or does everyone hate it?

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
it's not bad, but the animation mistakes and laziness show at points, and the CGI bits are rather jarring

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DrPaper posted:

It is good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrPaper posted:

Easily the worst part of the show is the subtitles.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Amarie posted:

They will probably fix everything in the DVD/BD release.

Toei doesn't do DVD/BD fix-ups.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Amarie posted:

They will probably fix everything in the DVD/BD release. Though you'd think they'd get it right the first time having delayed the show so long and taking 2 weeks between episodes.

SERIOUSLY. That's the part that's driving me nuts. For how long they took and how long we have to wait for each one, I was expecting the highest loving quality possible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are they using interns or something? I've watched shows with studios that literally turned in unfinished work as the episode aired and they look more consistent than this show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrPaper posted:

It's good but it's a product of the times (so a lot of the gaff will be fixed for the home video but given the schedule some of them are laughable) and not the original series so bitching can and will reach SAO levels.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

DrPaper posted:

I love it, but it's got some quality control problems. Also, while some of the CGI looks good, some of it just looks weird.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Is Tuxedo Mask in this one too?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

DrPaper posted:

Yes, but this series draws heavily from the manga so there will be difference between this and the 90s version. Less filler and so far it's following the manga almost to the letter.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DrPaper posted:

His rose-throwing isn't.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

His rose-throwing isn't.

Which is a shame, because I always enjoyed that so much. I liked to imagine him very carefully and seriously practising his rose-throwing, and fantasising that one day he would get to meet Batman and help Batman out of a jam by throwing a rose, and Batman would be like 'These are as good as my batarangs!'
I... I just believe that in his heart Tuxedo Mask has a lot of Batman fantasies.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's weird because shonen fans are always talking about how much better their shows would be if they got filler-free remakes like DBZ Kai, but apparently some shoujo fans like filler? :iiam:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Silver2195 posted:

It's weird because shonen fans are always talking about how much better their shows would be if they got filler-free remakes like DBZ Kai, but apparently some shoujo fans like filler? :iiam:

I think that's because a lot of the appeal of shoujo stuff is the relationships th= characters have with each other. As much as I'd love 10 episodes just about Joseph and Caesar hanging out with Lisa Lisa, most shonen fans would whine about the lack of fighting.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Well usually "filler" is shoved into an otherwise pretty strict manga adaptation, which means that none of the filler can have any meaningful stories of any kind because they can never affect the "main" episodes in any way. That's one of the main reasons they tend to be so bad.

The old Sailor Moon anime, meanwhile, was such a wholesale rewrite that it wasn't a problem if filler introduced new characters or relationships that would then be referenced by the main story. Like, I was always a fan of the Naru/Nephrite story, adding an entire new relationship between characters like that isn't something you'd see with traditional filler.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Silver2195 posted:

The original Sailor Moon manga (at least early on, I haven't read all of it) is paced more like a pictorial plot summary than a fully realised work of fiction, the filler in the original anime gave the characters some much needed fleshing out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

On the other hand, from what I recall the anime's pacing is so slow it drove me mad at a time when I could stand DBZ anime pacing.

Ideally we'd have a happy medium between the two with the manga's ridiculously pretty art.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Well usually "filler" is shoved into an otherwise pretty strict manga adaptation, which means that none of the filler can have any meaningful stories of any kind because they can never affect the "main" episodes in any way. That's one of the main reasons they tend to be so bad.

The old Sailor Moon anime, meanwhile, was such a wholesale rewrite that it wasn't a problem if filler introduced new characters or relationships that would then be referenced by the main story. Like, I was always a fan of the Naru/Nephrite story, adding an entire new relationship between characters like that isn't something you'd see with traditional filler.

It just depends on what you mean by 'meaningful.' Filler episodes can be awesome if they're really funny, feel like a vacation from business as usual, or are used for character development. I can think of very few Sailor Moon 'filler' episodes that I'd discard as useless (e.g. the one with the baby plesiosaur, that is lazy poo poo and didn't even have pretty visuals).

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Snow Halation posted:

Toei doesn't do DVD/BD fix-ups.

Yeah. I only know of one actual fixup Toei's done for the for video release. They cropped/zoomed in a shot in Gokaiger because some of the crew were originally in the frame.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They should just do whatever for the first season and then give the show to Ikuhara again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They should just do whatever for the first season and then give the show to Ikuhara again.

It's a crime against nature that guy doesn't get more work.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Rodyle posted:

On the other hand, from what I recall the anime's pacing is so slow it drove me mad at a time when I could stand DBZ anime pacing.

Ideally we'd have a happy medium between the two with the manga's ridiculously pretty art.

I think you might want to get reacquainted with the original again. There is very little that actually feels like filler and really the only make problem, as fast as I'm concerned, was SuperS. It does a really good job of fleshing out the characters and even goes so far as to make a really sorry sympathetic anti-hero of sorts out of one of the villains. The entirety of the Doom Tree arc is another perfect example, for the longest time I didn't recognize it as filler even if I always wondered what happened to Arabian Tuxedo Mask.

I think that they went the right way with the new series, if only because I think we'd be missing out on a lot of good content if they just gave it a DBZ Kai treatment.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They should just get him to remake Utena, if you cut the same amount corners on animation as Sailor Moon does, it would just be nostalgic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

It's a crime against nature that guy doesn't get more work.

The Utena movie flopping hard really did him in since when you have a rep of being unpleasant to work with and you release something that's a failure commercially and critically (since as anyone who has seen it knows, watching the Utena movie without seeing the series is a big mistake) and then suddenly everyone's cutting ties with you.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

XboxPants posted:

Like, I was always a fan of the Naru/Nephrite story, adding an entire new relationship between characters like that isn't something you'd see with traditional filler.

That's not canon? :psyduck: Nine year old me would be so heartbroken to hear that.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
The manga it's definitely less monster of the week and more key fights to move the story up. I like that it is following three manga but it might be too break neck speeds for some.

I really hope they fix some of their art. The eyes are just one of the mistakes. There are shots of Usagi with the Luna pen where it appears and then vanished from her pocket.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
^^^ I noticed the pen disappearing, too. :/

Pyrotoad posted:

That's not canon? :psyduck: Nine year old me would be so heartbroken to hear that.

It's anime canon, but not manga canon. I really loved it and still do, for some ... reason. I don't know. I wanted them to be together forever and was so sad they didn't get it.

edit: my brain exploded wtf.

deadly claris fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 23, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Robviously posted:

There is very little that actually feels like filler and really the only make problem, as fast as I'm concerned, was SuperS.

Yeah SuperS was really bad. I liked the villains hanging out in the bar talking about their next victim but the bizarre choice to not involve the outer soldiers at all, and the whole Pegasus thing was just boring. That, and we never got to see the Asteroid Soldiers.

I think the biggest problem SuperS had, in my mind, was the decision to make Sailor Moon/Chibi Moon's transformation a dual one. This meant that Usagi and Chibiusa had to be together in order for them to transform, and there were a lot of contrivances to that end. I remember one episode where Chibiusa basically appeared out of nowhere because Usagi was about to transform and she had to be there too.

The first episodes of Stars tried to make up for it and to their credit they were great but SuperS as a whole is just kind of a mess, I agree.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah SuperS was really bad. I liked the villains hanging out in the bar talking about their next victim but the bizarre choice to not involve the outer soldiers at all, and the whole Pegasus thing was just boring. That, and we never got to see the Asteroid Soldiers.

I think the biggest problem SuperS had, in my mind, was the decision to make Sailor Moon/Chibi Moon's transformation a dual one. This meant that Usagi and Chibiusa had to be together in order for them to transform, and there were a lot of contrivances to that end. I remember one episode where Chibiusa basically appeared out of nowhere because Usagi was about to transform and she had to be there too.

The first episodes of Stars tried to make up for it and to their credit they were great but SuperS as a whole is just kind of a mess, I agree.

Plus SuperS makes Sailor Moon absolutely dependent on Pegasus for her finishing move, which seems absolutely ridiculous for someone who has already saved the world multiple times (like five if you count the movies) and been revealed as the Messiah. A character at her stage of development and power shouldn't be diminished like that; it's just frustrating. It's like if Buffy had to ask a sparkly unicorn pretty please for power before she staked a vampire. Who would stand for that?
It's also annoying that she spends the whole of the season apparently having forgotten that she can throw her tiara at poo poo. But she does throw it in the SuperS movie, in which Pegasus does not appear at all, and it is terrifically satisfying.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Twelve by Pies posted:

They did transform separately once, without the stock footage transformation sequence. That was also the only appearance of Pink Heart Attack that season. So maybe some writer didn't get the memo.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dove from Above posted:

It's also annoying that she spends the whole of the season apparently having forgotten that she can throw her tiara at poo poo. But she does throw it in the SuperS movie, in which Pegasus does not appear at all, and it is terrifically satisfying.

I'd like to think after the bit in R where her Tiara stopped working because her powers decided to die on her she didn't think it was usable anymore.

Though I can't imagine why, its the only bit of her arsenal that's never lost, replaced or destroyed.

The tiara bit does raise the question, why exactly did her original Brooch stop working? Was it simply because they needed to upgrade her power set and give her the Cutie Moon Rod or was there actually a story explanation for it?

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'd like to think after the bit in R where her Tiara stopped working because her powers decided to die on her she didn't think it was usable anymore.

Though I can't imagine why, its the only bit of her arsenal that's never lost, replaced or destroyed.

The tiara bit does raise the question, why exactly did her original Brooch stop working? Was it simply because they needed to upgrade her power set and give her the Cutie Moon Rod or was there actually a story explanation for it?

I don't remember how the manga handled it, but in the anime, didn't a monster BITE it and it BROKE and she had a near-death experience and visited with her dead past-incarnation mother, who despite being dead gave her a power-up? You know, in the episode with the cherry blossoms where Umino is in a sleeping bag and Rei wears those cute pink dungarees?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dove from Above posted:

I don't remember how the manga handled it, but in the anime, didn't a monster BITE it and it BROKE and she had a near-death experience and visited with her dead past-incarnation mother, who despite being dead gave her a power-up? You know, in the episode with the cherry blossoms where Umino is in a sleeping bag and Rei wears those cute pink dungarees?

What I remember happening in that one was she was pinned down by the monster and the brooch, with her tiara already failing and whatnot from the previous episode, just gave out and broke.
Then she loses her transformation and is sucked into a big white hole with Luna before Queen Serenity gives her the Silver Crystal back and upgrades the Brooch.

The biting thing is from the beginning of S where the monster takes a nibble on it and somehow that fucks the thing up and renders it useless.

What I want to know is why her Tiara suddenly stopped working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

They've been showing S on TV here and Sailor Moon used her tiara a couple of times to save people whenever they get tied up, which isn't often cuz getting tied up is usally Moon's job. Speaking of which, you'd think the sailor warriors would wise up to literally every monster of the week having a rope attack of some sort.

Also I love how things get shoujo as gently caress whenever Haruka's on screen, like that's her only job in the anime.

• Locked thread