Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't get how anyone Auraxiums ONE weapon, let alone five in one category. I'm BR 62, and the gun I have the most kills with, I only have like 880. And it's the Mini Chaingun, which I think I had several hundred of those kills before they put medals on that gun, so I still would need a whole lot to get Aurax on it.

Does that even count as an LMG for that, anyway? The MCG is weird and different, after all.

Anyway I keep switching between guns because I'm indecisive, that probably doesn't help for getting medals.

EDIT - How much do people who have like five auraxiums play the game? BR 100s, minimum of three hours every day? I've got Mario Kart to play too, dammit.

Well, let's see. EH5 has, for example, an average of about 30 kills/hour and KV has 34 (I'm going to assume these as Pretty Good for lack of a better gauge - Vonic pegs the meter at 83 k/hour which is probably near the upper bound). 1160 kills per aurax, 5800 for five. At 30 kills/hour, that's 193 hours of playtime. Mere mortals who are just Good (like Gaghskull, Nook, Arghy or Ray) average more in the 15-20 k/hour range, which translates to 290-380 hours. Looking at score/minute, that translates to around enough xp to hit BR60... if you concentrate entirely on those guns and avoid vehicles/using other guns.

So the answer is 'a whole lot'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I agree that a lot of kit that makes other players effective is locked behind certs, etc. My tip for new players being pretty new myself is not to overlook how something simple like upgrading the optics to your gun can change the feel of it. Replace the ironsights with a reflex dot for 5 certs and the gun will feel much better to handle.

Also I agree with going engineer over medic. I sometimes find myself fighting for scrap bodies to res with other medics. However as an engy throwing out ammo packs and repairing vehicles/maxes seems to be more reliable way to get certs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Interestingly enough, my KPH has gone down as my KDR has gone up. Probably because despite being better, I'm spending a ton of time playing map game and flying gals/driving buses as these things are as fun as killwhoring.

Of course with 2 LMG and 1 Carbine aurax on the block now it's time to return to killwhore mode. Higby help me I had forgotten how ridiculous ASC/Resist heavy is. This SAW S is going to aurax itself and hopefully the Anchor will be even easier

As a platoon lead my focus is always on getting people certs and doing so in way that accessible to all. If you're NC just follow my instructions and you should be swimming in certs.

ALWAYS GUN FOR PEOPLE. It's drat near criminal how much you can make as even a BR1 doing this

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

ALWAYS GUN FOR PEOPLE. It's drat near criminal how much you can make as even a BR1 doing this

This this this. As a gunner you're getting a free ride on other people's upgraded stuff. Think about a battle bus or gal- gunning in one essentially means you're riding high on 4000ish certs of another person's hard earned work.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Focusing almost entirely on a gun, I did an Auraxium in 6 days real time (1220 kills, so a bit above Aurax really), which was 34 hours of playtime (half of which was afk in the warpgate between farms).

I would estimate that I could aurax a weapon in about 20 hours played, so a week of 3 hours a night.

Also, the MCG counts as a heavy weapon and not an LMG, so you wont get the directive I'm afraid.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Did they change the flight model for liberators before June? I am suddenly completely unable to fly one whereas I'm *almost* competent with a Reaver/Mosquito

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's typical that I'm close to my first auraxium with the SOAS-20 and it probably won't count for poo poo.

Then again the SOAS-20 is already near perfect, unless they want to give me one with a bigger mag I'm happy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How would you guys feel about giving Light Assault a "Laser target Pointer" or whatever you want to call it but its basically a very obvious laser beam that a LA can shoot at base turrets (Just starting with that) and while channeling on the turret friendlies in the same squad can lock onto the turrets with Lock on Missile launchers.

I know its not exactly needed but was just trying to think of ways to have LA provide some synergy and support to a squad beyond taking to the skies and killing mans.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

BadLlama posted:

How would you guys feel about giving Light Assault a "Laser target Pointer" or whatever you want to call it but its basically a very obvious laser beam that a LA can shoot at base turrets (Just starting with that) and while channeling on the turret friendlies in the same squad can lock onto the turrets with Lock on Missile launchers.

I know its not exactly needed but was just trying to think of ways to have LA provide some synergy and support to a squad beyond taking to the skies and killing mans.

Make it a infiltrator function and I'd be down.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't get how anyone Auraxiums ONE weapon, let alone five in one category. I'm BR 62, and the gun I have the most kills with, I only have like 880. And it's the Mini Chaingun, which I think I had several hundred of those kills before they put medals on that gun, so I still would need a whole lot to get Aurax on it.

Does that even count as an LMG for that, anyway? The MCG is weird and different, after all.

Anyway I keep switching between guns because I'm indecisive, that probably doesn't help for getting medals.

EDIT - How much do people who have like five auraxiums play the game? BR 100s, minimum of three hours every day? I've got Mario Kart to play too, dammit.

My most recent auraxium is the Cougar. According to DA i have 19.6 hours of Cougar equip time. No idea how many actual gameplay hours that is.

e: Also this character has 1108.5 hours and 15 auraxiums. I spent most of that time being a bad player. Pretty sure if i focussed on grinding Auraxiums now i could knock each one out in fifteen hours and have like fifty on one character.

One Man Trash fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 22, 2014

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Focusing almost entirely on a gun, I did an Auraxium in 6 days real time (1220 kills, so a bit above Aurax really), which was 34 hours of playtime (half of which was afk in the warpgate between farms).

I would estimate that I could aurax a weapon in about 20 hours played, so a week of 3 hours a night.

Just to go back to the math, 20 hours to an auraxium translates to 58 kills/hour. So folks know what kind of a target they're up against.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

Also, the MCG counts as a heavy weapon and not an LMG, so you wont get the directive I'm afraid.

Fart. At least i'm close to my Auraxium for the Rhino which would replace that as my 5th lmg. Once I get the Butcher or w/e it's called I don't see any real incentive to unlock the Bull though since getting the special gun kind of replaced my personal goalpost of Auraxiuming all my LMGs.

Kinda glad I don't feel the need to get the Bull now though, I really wanted to try it but at least I save a 1000 certs and i'm sure the Butcher will be better anyway.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

What's the recommendation for the best gun for an NC Engineer? I have the Gauss Compact S but the UBGL doesn't print certs as well as it used to so I'm looking for an alternative.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

biglads posted:

What's the recommendation for the best gun for an NC Engineer? I have the Gauss Compact S but the UBGL doesn't print certs as well as it used to so I'm looking for an alternative.

ACX11

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

biglads posted:

Mercenary

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

biglads posted:

Carv

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

No wait

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

biglads posted:

X11 x10000000

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I really like the Razor but I don't hate the AC-X11, you should probably go for that since 200 damage bullets are sexy.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Thanks I'll give the AC-X11 a go.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This was the right answer though. :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TR Tuesday is still on! 7pm EST start time. I will have to leave a bit before an hour is up though so be prepared to have it passed to you if you join in!

Nakar posted:

This was the right answer though. :(

That answer is lacking in FREEDOM

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
No carbine is more free than the Merc. :911:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Nothing says FREEDOM better than 200 damage rounds.

(It seems quite good at killing mans)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nakar posted:

I was under the impression they just invited anyone they saw and/or anyone who joined one of their 12 public squads. Why would they even need a website?

I 'unno. To pat each other on the back for making internet forum rank.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Nakar posted:

I was under the impression they just invited anyone they saw and/or anyone who joined one of their 12 public squads. Why would they even need a website?

Because they're a multi-game "community" of terrible players that are terrible at everything.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Nakar posted:

No carbine is more free than the Merc. :911:

I haven't played in months but somehow whenever I think of Planetside 2 I think of the Merc. I've said in the past that I own every NC carbine (even the Bandit despite not actively playing when it was on sale) but only really have any kills with the Merc and the Compact S :v: I just like the Merc. Some days I run it with grip, sometimes with laser, it never not works for me :allears:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Because they're a multi-game "community" of terrible players that are terrible at everything.

The only thing they're not terrible at is being terrible :smug:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

vigorous sodomy posted:

The only thing they're not terrible at is being terrible :smug:

The best part: some AOD shithead is in the starting throes of a meltdown on the Emerald subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/EmeraldPS2/comments/2bckqh/aod_ops_night_sunderer_deployment/cj4hqoq

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

biglads posted:

As someone who has auraxed the Gauss Compact S after the UBGL nerf, it's still a good gun. You just don't use it for incessant UBGL spamming. It has an absurdly accurate 3 round burst mode and with 167 damage if you can get headshots you'll basically cause anyone you're shooting at to crumple.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gonkish posted:

The best part: some AOD shithead is in the starting throes of a meltdown on the Emerald subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/EmeraldPS2/comments/2bckqh/aod_ops_night_sunderer_deployment/cj4hqoq

Hey! The image I linked in here is the first reply in that thread!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haha holy poo poo the AC-X11 is really good if you can stay in that 200-167 sweet spot. It's a baby Gauss Saw :allears:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not a big fan of all the making GBS threads on AOD. Fact is somebody's gotta corral the pubbies and, unlike on NC or VS where a couple outfits handle this, on TR it's just AOD. Just look at the screenshots. They're just "get better at coordinating with a faction that coordinates poorly even between MLG-tier outfits" from being a real force. They've got a thankless task that they handle weirdly, but as far as I'm concerned anybody not running open squads every night shouldn't be saying a drat thing.

Hell, PHX lately has been on the ball with command chatter and moving around, and Auraxicom Network Hub was a GOON fight for the ages yesterday in part because once GOKU/DA/a few AC reinforced I got on the horn and I poo poo you not, within 2 minutes we had gals full of TAS overhead and we took the base.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Haha holy poo poo the AC-X11 is really good if you can stay in that 200-167 sweet spot. It's a baby Gauss Saw :allears:

Best is as an LA where you can always be above your target raining down 3 headshot kills on people before they can react. The X11 is the gun I dread going up against the most out of the entire NC arsenal when I'm on TR or VS

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It just sucks that Emerald TR doesn't have a good sizeable outfit, and AOD is the most visible outfit out there. I like them better than ODAM back in the day because at least AOD doesn't C4 friendly sunderers just to put their own in the same place, least as far as I've seen.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Gonkish posted:

In the present climate of GOKU/GOTR/V zergs and large outfits from Watterson like ZAPS and PHX, any TR outfit that is not operating at a base size of one platoon will not be effective in the battlefield.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Best is as an LA where you can always be above your target raining down 3 headshot kills on people before they can react. The X11 is the gun I dread going up against the most out of the entire NC arsenal when I'm on TR or VS

I'm beginning to understand.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

The LA with an X11 aka "PINGPINGdead fuuuuccckk iojervbijonbtroi"

I think you're going to really enjoy being an NC, welcome home.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

The LA with an X11 aka "PINGPINGdead fuuuuccckk iojervbijonbtroi"

I think you're going to really enjoy being an NC, welcome home.

My character is BR 37 and I have over 150 hours logged into the game, I just haven't played in almost 2 years :ssh:

I just used to be a Reaver whore because my computer couldn't handle anything else. Now I can actually play infantry :haw:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 22, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

killedbycameltoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He's back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3osqpYqCKQ

Fart Car '97 posted:

My character is BR 37 and I have over 150 hours logged into the game, I just haven't played in almost 2 years :ssh:

I just used to be a Reaver whore because my computer couldn't handle anything else. Now I can actually play infantry :haw:

If you're only just now learning about the AP/AP Vanguard and the X11 then you're only just now beginning the game :colbert:

Mortimer posted:

killedbycameltoe

Not only a sniper but a popular streamer too. Good chance a couple dozen people saw you counter snipe him with a carbine :feelsgood:

• Locked thread