Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Surface RT Inventory Adjustments
Revenue: $(38)
Gross Margin: $(900)
Operating Income: $(900)
Diluted EPS: $(0.07)

this means they lost $900 million on the RT??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"sold in" on the xbox means shipped to retailers and is combined xbone and 360 so MS has still shipped fewer than 6 million bones

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

e: deleted

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

lmao i seen u do this before why do u post then go back and decide 'no. no post. not for u'

???????????

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wrong thread? borderline personality disorder?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

nice edit bro

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

borderline personality disorder

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats actually a thing

not just, you almost have personality disorder, kinda sitting on the fence

typically fuckin mental diseases named with extreme gayness

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

e: deleted mean stuff
here u go for u

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

BPD on the internet just means they're on the borderline of having a personality

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
feels like I'm going to lose my mind

pram
Jun 10, 2001
steve ballmer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

duTrieux. posted:

something sexist and horrible was written here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

feels like I'm going to lose my mind

sw8

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

echinopsis posted:

thats actually a thing

not just, you almost have personality disorder, kinda sitting on the fence

typically fuckin mental diseases named with extreme gayness

bpd is a complex mix of several disorders where you don't quite match one disorder but show qualities from several different disorders so you're on the border of all of them hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sindow posted:

bpd is a complex mix of several disorders where you don't quite match one disorder but show qualities from several different disorders so you're on the border of all of them hth

stfu

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Sindow posted:

i have you now

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

PleasureKevin posted:

Surface RT Inventory Adjustments
Revenue: $(38)
Gross Margin: $(900)
Operating Income: $(900)
Diluted EPS: $(0.07)

this means they lost $900 million on the RT??

wow that's quite the line item

also their losses under "corporate" were probably just goodwill impairment and all that other magic poo poo that makes up a balance sheet. I've seen companies yo-yo from profit to loss and back again by millions in "corporate" based on that sort of accounting stuff from quarter to quarter, it's really annoying

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
lets time travel to Apr 28, when nokia & ms had a celebration day for the acquisition

https://twitter.com/selop/status/460696817164746752/photo/1

Michael Lococo on April 28 posted:

@rlc_mac @selop So Mac you're actually thinking that Microsoft would abandon this in 3 1/2 months? Never happen! This is a great thing!

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
your post evoked many repressed memories in me too, like how we bought so many copies of archon adept for our commodore 64s that were supposed to be racially pure, yet it turned out they had been partly assembled by MEN OF COLOR and obviously we tried to deal with it through the proper channels, but the federal authorities basically shut us down and told us we had to accept them or not have any computers at all in our district

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
THANKS OBAMA

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sorry just started reading this thread but the literal windows janitor on the first few pages made me laugh so hard i think my office mates think i'm crazy now

thank you thread

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

homo punching bag posted:

lmao i seen u do this before why do u post then go back and decide 'no. no post. not for u'

???????????

eh, i no longer have a contract with ms but i'll give it a little more time before burning any bridges

basically, project managers, amirite‽

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

sorry just started reading this thread but the literal windows janitor on the first few pages made me laugh so hard i think my office mates think i'm crazy now

thank you thread

more like office head mates you creepy motherfucker

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Phoenixan posted:

something sexist and horrible was written here

stop stealing my posts then

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

stop stealing my posts then

still angry and searching for validation

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Duscat posted:

your post evoked many repressed memories in me too, like how we bought so many copies of archon adept for our commodore 64s that were supposed to be racially pure, yet it turned out they had been partly assembled by MEN OF COLOR and obviously we tried to deal with it through the proper channels, but the federal authorities basically shut us down and told us we had to accept them or not have any computers at all in our district

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
The Making of a Microsoft CEO: Layoffs and lip service

quote:

So far, Nadella is following the business school new boss playbook exactly:

• Announce your intention to stay the supposedly successful course of your predecessor while hinting the guy was an underperforming moron who thinks AA meetings are really open mic nights for amateur comedians.

• When describing the future direction you intend to take, use long-winded and vague language with as many buzzwords as possible to obscure, even obliterate any specific meaning or intention while trying to sound decisive and knowledgeable. Be sure to refer to your underlings as a big happy family. Maybe add a GIF of a smiling teddy bear with the company logo.

• Wait an appropriate amount of time (at least three months) and announce what sound like massive changes to the supposedly successful course of your predecessor but make sure to describe those changes in hugely broad terms that could mean anything. Keep referring to your underlings as a big, happy family. Definitely add the teddy bear. Maybe have it hug a kitten.

• Use more long-winded and vague language to describe this new course in "more detail" without committing to anything in case sudden reversals are required and you need to pick a quick patsy or two to take the fall. Keep several teddy bears in your desk drawer to hand out as post-firing mementos.

• Wait two more months, then screw over as many members of your big, happy family as possible in order to establish yourself as a fearsome, decisive leader and to look like you've cut spending because that'll kick off a short-term stock increase at the end of the fiscal year and ensure your juicy performance bonus.

Nice work -- right on target, to boot.

quote:

Congrats, Satya. You're far more boring than Steve, and after almost six months, you still haven't done anything tangible or even provided evidence of a pulse -- exactly the CEO that Microsoft needs.

:drat:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahahahahahf hhahahahahahah aLOLLLOLOL

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
that would be pretty good if somebody actually had the balls to put it under a real byline instead of being little bitches afraid to get disinvited from microsoft press events

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im the fedora

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so they laid off a bunch of sdets and contractors?

truly the seattle dev market is ruined

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

ahahahahahf hhahahahahahah aLOLLLOLOL

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FamDav posted:

so they laid off a bunch of sdets and contractors?

truly the seattle dev market is ruined

they didn't lay off any contractors apparently, they just will stop allowing them access to buildings and the corporate network after 18 months. loving lol, it's seriously office space levels of insanity.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mod sassinator posted:

they didn't lay off any contractors apparently, they just will stop allowing them access to buildings and the corporate network after 18 months. loving lol, it's seriously office space levels of insanity.

lmao what the heck does that even mean?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
it's milton. instead of firing him they just stopped sending him his paycheck. they fixed the 'glitch'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4eCd6xUSik

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

they downsized and are going to need to play catchup

also the problem will just work itself out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i think it means you can only work at a contract position for 18 months, and then you will be let go, and you cant be rehired for that position or any other position at msft for 6 months

seems nuts but i bet its some legal sleight of hand to keep temps from claiming benefits or raises or some poo poo. probably also a way to turn even more work over to h1bs and offshores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gosh we have all these empty positions we simply cannot fill, congress needs to act now to expand the guest worker program or america will fall even further behind in technology!!!

• Locked thread