Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

FMguru posted:

i think it means you can only work at a contract position for 18 months, and then you will be let go, and you cant be rehired for that position or any other position at msft for 6 months

seems nuts but i bet its some legal sleight of hand to keep temps from claiming benefits or raises or some poo poo. probably also a way to turn even more work over to h1bs and offshores

it would be real cool if that loophole got closed btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
apparently agency temps ("a-dashes") have had this policy since the temp lawsuit, to make sure nobody mistakes the peasants for real employees

the new policy also applies to onsite vendor employees ("v-dashes") which like for example dell sales or maintenance guys and poo poo like that. why microsoft would be worried about any of those people after all this time i have no idea but bosses gonna boss

gonna lol when some data center falls over and catches fire when some obscure v-dash nobody knew about takes his finger out of the dike for his six month furlough.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Base Emitter posted:

apparently agency temps ("a-dashes") have had this policy since the temp lawsuit, to make sure nobody mistakes the peasants for real employees

the new policy also applies to onsite vendor employees ("v-dashes") which like for example dell sales or maintenance guys and poo poo like that. why microsoft would be worried about any of those people after all this time i have no idea but bosses gonna boss

gonna lol when some data center falls over and catches fire when some obscure v-dash nobody knew about takes his finger out of the dike for his six month furlough.

this happens afaik

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FMguru posted:

gosh we have all these empty positions we simply cannot fill, congress needs to act now to expand the guest worker program or america will fall even further behind in technology!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kedfVAbXNy0

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we have a 12 month limit on contractors and 12 months before we can hire them back unless they're there on the budget of a specific project and it sucks, we have to let good people go constantly and it takes months to get new folks up to speed

we got a 6 month extension for my minion but I'm going to be bummed when she's gone

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

FamDav posted:

so they laid off a bunch of sdets and contractors?

truly the seattle dev market is ruined

more than you might think. MS qa people, as far as I can tell, are absolutely worthless at qa/test & also import their toxic culture with them. plus they're like idiot hell pringles - your dumb recruiters can't stop at just one.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Berkshire Hunts posted:

more than you might think. MS qa people, as far as I can tell, are absolutely worthless at qa/test & also import their toxic culture with them. plus they're like idiot hell pringles - your dumb recruiters can't stop at just one.

most QAs are worthless garbage. people, and a lot of managers, see it as a stepping stone to dev. it requires a different mind set and really should be seem as it's own career path

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

mod sassinator posted:

they didn't lay off any contractors apparently, they just will stop allowing them access to buildings and the corporate network after 18 months. loving lol, it's seriously office space levels of insanity.

Kevin Turner, Microsoft’s chief operating officer, said in a memo to the company’s sales and marketing groups last week that the plan is to “reduce our reliance on contingent staff augmentation by over 20 percent year-over-year” in that part of the company, according to Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hell sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKwx-BFO0E

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is this an elected official or do they let people in for comment or something?

[video type="youtube"]video of the same guy who's bashing spooky scary billionaires praising trickle down economics and poo poo, talking about private companies being more efficient and less wasteful, and defending mitt romney's business record.[/video]

call me daily show.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

is this an elected official or do they let people in for comment or something?

jeff sessions is the junior senator from alabama and one of the worst human beings alive, hth

like he's not just a politician i disagree with the dude would repeal the 13th amendment if he could

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
On October 5, 2005, he was one of nine Senators who voted against a Senate amendment to a House bill that prohibited cruel, inhumane, or degrading treatment or punishment of individuals in the custody or under the physical control of the United States Government.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

is he related to bill "say no to drugs" sessions

i liked playing shameful video games with his helpful message on them

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Berkshire Hunts posted:

why are you hiring these people. I can guarantee the other three famous tech cos in seattle will not be hiring a significant portion of these people.

also I like how sfpos has yosmeets and we have vague acknowledgement that. we live in seattle.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why are there two Microsoft Is Bad threads?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Werthog 95 posted:

its just that bad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

25 skus = 1 thread

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

the other is titled "Microsoft is a top-notch company developing top-notch products" so logically that's a microsoft is good thread? or did you mean my terrible thread in games about the Xbox One All-In-One Entertainment System?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i guess that thread is about microsoft's bad products while this thread is about microsoft's bad decisions

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

i guess that thread is about microsoft's bad products while this thread is about microsoft's bad decisions
aren't they the same thing

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this is the official microsoft is bad thread. the other one has a bad OP

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

25 CALs = 1 thread

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Consider these stats: In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago.

If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point, then this quarter’s 1.1 million consoles likely consisted of just 300,000 Xbox Ones.

Microsoft managed $409 million in Surface revenue, which represents well under 1 million Surfaces sold in the most recent quarter.

Worse still, that total is actually down from the prior quarter, when Microsoft managed $500 million in Surface sales.

But with unit sales running at somewhere between 500,000 and 1 million units every 3 months, Microsoft is accounting for less than 1% of the combined PC/tablet markets. How this is strategic to the company remains a mystery.

Microsoft isn’t making money selling smartphones and is extraordinarily unlikely to do so anytime soon. The company reported earning $58 million in gross margin on $1.99 billion in phone revenues, but it’s likely that was all generated from the 30 million featurephones Microsoft sold, not the Lumias.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i bet nokia's linux phones would have sold better

it's not like they could sell significantly worse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rename this thread to Microsoft is Bad Enterprise Edition and the other one to Microsoft is Bad Home Premium

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

rename this thread to Microsoft is Bad Enterprise Edition and the other one to Microsoft is Bad Home Premium

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

qirex posted:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

can you use the trademark and copyright symbols in thread titles because there is not nearly enough of those

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Microsoft is Bad Cloud 365 Edition

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

qirex posted:

itym Microsoft is Bad Enterprise Edition R2

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Microsoft is Bad 8.1: They're Bringing The Layoffs Back!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

this thread has more posts and should stay alive close the other one thanks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is my preferred microsoft thread

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

this is my preferred microsoft thread

the hints of urine and accents of fecal matter are so delicate it's hard for my palate to distinguish between them

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
thanks, to those who now just got the fact that there are two threads about microsoft, and comment a lot now about how there are two threads, and even better - post the identical thing in both threads now because pram did it and he's a good poster so let's be like that and just post the same stupid bullshit copy-paste style in both threads!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im not reall sure if pram is a good poster, or if his posting is just frequent enough that it's become a homely sign. like your doormat at your house. i wouldn't say it was a good doormat but GOD drat if it doesn't mean you've just gotten home after a hard day of slog

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same but wih a flaming paper bag of dog poo poo on my doorstep

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mate yr cruisin for a bruisin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

im not reall sure if pram is a good poster, or if his posting is just frequent enough that it's become a homely sign. like your doormat at your house. i wouldn't say it was a good doormat but GOD drat if it doesn't mean you've just gotten home after a hard day of slog

prams posting is on a level that is so far beyond your comprehension that your ridiculous analogy only highlights your own ineptitude

• Locked thread