Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

RadicalR posted:

If you go to play Suikoden 2 and you're in the US, grab the fan patch that fixes a lot of issues with it. The North American version was somewhat messed up (music don't play correctly, name import is messed up, some battle stuff is incorrect.)

That's really cool! Specifically, the three music-related bugs just taught me something new about a 15 year old game that I adore. :3:

Apparently there were actually three major battle themes, but two of them were bugged and never played.

There's also a version of Orizzonte that was supposed to play when you recruit Annallee. On top of that, there's a chanting track that's supposed to play during the ending, which finally makes the celtic collection chant make sense.

Endorph posted:

Does the patch fix the translation, too?

"What's wrong......... with the translation!!!!!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

BloodWulfe posted:

Star Ocean 1~3 are fun, and I don't feel like they're particularly clunky either (relative to other games from the same time).

For the first two should I play the PSP versions or the originals?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Originals. The psp versions have some weird rebalancing and terrible voice acting for every line of text instead of just battle quips.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

I almost exlusively play JRPGs but I've more or less exhausted what's out there: played the Final Fantasies, Personas, Bravely Default, Disgaeas, Pokemons, a whole bunch of PS2 stuff I can't remember and now I'm at the point where I can't find anything too interesting anymore. Very few JRPGs get released now and if I try to dig backwards the timeline, much of the ps1/gb era feels too clunky for a modern gamer. Like Grandia 1 and Xenogears and Golden Sun kinda stuff is just too dated.

So where should I look? When I went to the local gamestore, I found a bunch of weird anime games for ps3, probably JRPGs, but I have no idea what they were. Have I missed stuff during the years? Older stuff from ps2 era would be great too, but I guess a lot of it isn't available anymore. Haven't checked PSN for a while now, though.

No mention of Atelier games on that list, so maybe you could look into them? For the most part, they generally have a big emphasis on it's item crafting systems and they're turn-based games. Ayesha/Escha and Logy are newest ones and the ones most worth a look if you want to look at gameplay videos and see if you'd be interested in them, and they're both are player-friendly with the way they ease you into it's mechanics.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

For the first two should I play the PSP versions or the originals?

I don't know if they're on PSN, or what the going rate is for physical copies, but unless it's crazy expensive then definitely go with the PSP versions.

The original Star Ocean was a late (1996!) SNES game. It did a lot of cool stuff, but it also really pushed the SNES and ended up being a pretty rough game. There was never an English release, but there's a good fan translation for it. I just won't recommend it over the remake now.

The PSP remake is built using a modified SO2 engine. Combat in the original was a little more fast-paced, but I actually prefer the remake. There are a bunch of other changes too but it's not really important if you have no point of reference. In general it's less buggy and way more polished.

Second Evolution is the same deal: more polish and some new content. It makes some small but fundamental changes to the battle system, but they didn't adjust the enemies so the difficulty is skewed towards the easy side. It gets back in sync maybe 3/4 of the way through, and there are multiple difficulties to pick from. Also you lose the original voice acting, but that's only endearing if you grew up hearing "crawd has advanced forward!" and "pear into peaches!"

You do lose two shoulder buttons on the PSP, so you have less control over your skills in battle. It can be frustrating depending on the character, but it's not a deal breaker.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

do NOT touch psp version of star ocean 2. it is simply too much condensed bad anime

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like you must have no soul if you think "Crawd has advanced forward...heh" and "Pear into peaches" are only endearing lines because of nostalgia. Regardless, PSP's voice actors are competent at worst in other stuff, but in Star Ocean tradition the direction is complete rear end for like 80% of the cast, which is pretty bad since SO has the whole Golden Sun thing going on where there's a lot of dialogue to go over simple plot points and you can't mash through it super fast, so you're going to be listening to it a lot anyway.

Hell, the PS1 version of SO2 is probably better because you can at least emulate it and blitz past the Golden Sun walls of text.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Last Celebration posted:

Hell, the PS1 version of SO2 is probably better because you can at least emulate it and blitz past the Golden Sun walls of text.
This, there's a giant gently caress-off wall of text after you fight the first boss. Almost none of it will ever matter (about one sentence of it is ever explained or explored further), and yet because of scripted movement and excessive screen transitions, it takes 25-30 minutes to scroll through. At instant text print speed. Skipping all the text.

It does this four times.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

quote:

"Pear into peaches"

I played the game for the first time a few years ago and it didn't even sound like that to me, even with knowing ahead of time that that's what everyone thought it sounded like. I don't know whether everyone just had bad sound on their TVs 15 years ago or what.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

BloodWulfe posted:

"What's wrong......... with the translation!!!!!!!!!!"

Nah there's places where it just displays garbage text, like those trading tips guys.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Polsy posted:

I played the game for the first time a few years ago and it didn't even sound like that to me, even with knowing ahead of time that that's what everyone thought it sounded like. I don't know whether everyone just had bad sound on their TVs 15 years ago or what.

it never sounded like that to me, either. that's just a fun thing to imagine he's saying.

i have a theory that claude knows the plot twist of star ocean 3, because of certain things he says in battle...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Polsy posted:

It didn't really sound like that to me either, to be honest, but it doesn't really sound like "Tear into pieces" either, so...

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oKk0uUNryM&t=160s

maybe you couldnt hear it because of the battle music and 3 other characters shouting at the same time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

i have a theory that claude knows the plot twist of star ocean 3, because of certain things he says in battle...

Claude is just a mega sperg who happened to take Punching Things With Swords as his major in college. I'm not kidding, this is canon.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Claude is just a mega sperg who happened to take Punching Things With Swords as his major in college. I'm not kidding, this is canon.

His dad was pretty happy to get shot of him, every time he was on the ship for more than a couple minutes at a time he'd start jacking people's power armor right off their bodies.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dross posted:

Lost Odyssey for 360 has a pretty good rep around these parts, no?

Yeah, my 360 is basically a Lost Odyssey machine. It's like the Final Fantasy we always wanted instead of (insert number here)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lost Odyssey was cool but the problem was that the story told through the '1000 years of dreams' segments was, well, a thousand times more interesting than the actual main plot.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Endorph posted:

Lost Odyssey was cool but the problem was that the story told through the '1000 years of dreams' segments was, well, a thousand times more interesting than the actual main plot.

This is true. Also, you need to level the annoying kid characters or you can get stuck on a boss fight at one point.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
LO still remains one of my most favorite graphical experiences in an RPG too. Seems strange to me that so few other games ever hit that level.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Someday I'd like to play the PSP Star Ocean 2 because I assume the translation is much better (it would have to be.) All the reasons given here to skip it are pretty dumb!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best reason to skip PSP Star Ocean 2 is that Star Ocean 2 is a bad game :can:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's the dumbest reason yet!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Every Star Ocean game is pretty bad.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Endorph posted:

I will fight you (except 4. 4 was godawful.)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Star Ocean 2 is a good game but I haven't played it in a quite a number of years so I am certain its got some rose colored glasses effect going on.

The Sci Fi rpg thing and crafting are hard to come by anything similar. I really liked that you got certain bonuses from the skills you choose to level, I liked both the world designs, the optional dungeons, and a lot of the characters are less shameful than they appear.

But it suffers from being a PSX RPG, and some parts of it are kind of slow, storyline-wise. The "80+ endings!!!" thing is kind of a lie too, seeing as they are kind of just little mixtures of leveled list endings.

I like it and might play it again soon now, thanks for reminding me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wendell posted:

Someday I'd like to play the PSP Star Ocean 2 because I assume the translation is much better (it would have to be.) All the reasons given here to skip it are pretty dumb!

Combat is pretty screwy because everyone has a 3 hit combo with their normal attacks, which obsoletes about 80% of special moves. Also one of the best shields in the game is now an accessory, complete with all its shield stats, so you get 3 shields worth of evade and dodge tank everything unless you're on Universe.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
So I got Atelier Escha and Logy a bit ago. I'm a few months in, on the second assignment, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I just really love item crafting and time systems, I guess. Anyway, I have a couple questions.

1. When do I get other party members? Wilbel and the researcher lady seem like obvious candidates, but when are they actually going to join me? (if the researcher is a party member then it's probably soon and I just missed talking with her because I was too busy crafting) Can I get more than three people in the party? I'm assuming that I can't get rid of Escha or Logy, so it's a bit limited if I can only trade out one member...

2. When can I start buying/alchemizing equipment? I can make some accessories, but I want to get Escha and Logy some better armour than a shirt.

3. I'm playing Escha's story and it's a bit of a plot point that Logy can't do poo poo with the cauldron. How does this work on his path, because I'm assuming they don't lock you out of the crafting system for months or anything?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I am starting Tales of Graces f. I got the free DLC, but is any of the other DLC really worth getting?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

MarsDragon posted:

So I got Atelier Escha and Logy a bit ago. I'm a few months in, on the second assignment, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I just really love item crafting and time systems, I guess. Anyway, I have a couple questions.

1. When do I get other party members? Wilbel and the researcher lady seem like obvious candidates, but when are they actually going to join me? (if the researcher is a party member then it's probably soon and I just missed talking with her because I was too busy crafting) Can I get more than three people in the party? I'm assuming that I can't get rid of Escha or Logy, so it's a bit limited if I can only trade out one member...

2. When can I start buying/alchemizing equipment? I can make some accessories, but I want to get Escha and Logy some better armour than a shirt.

3. I'm playing Escha's story and it's a bit of a plot point that Logy can't do poo poo with the cauldron. How does this work on his path, because I'm assuming they don't lock you out of the crafting system for months or anything?

1. You'll get other party members soon, just keep bringing up the quick travel menu in town and trigger all events that show up with a face or red !. You can freely remove the main character you aren't playing as from the party (Logy). If you want to get as many character events as possible then it is recommended that you keep your non-chosen main character out of the party entirely and cycle the other characters between front lines and reserves. Feel free to bring them in for battles though, both alchemists are necessary for tough boss fights. Events depend on a hidden stat that goes up as days pass and it goes up quicker when they are in the front lines, so give characters that show up later more front line time if possible.

2. You'll get a new thing in your atelier that will allow you to make equipment eventually, just keep playing and trigger all town events.

3. On Logy's path, Escha handles all alchemy still. There are only minor differences between the paths unfortunately.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There are DLC party members too, if you're willing to pay 5 bucks a pop.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You get seven party members total, not counting DLC. Sadly, Wilbell is one of those DLC characters, and she's the only one who's worth it because she's Wilbell and she throws her hat like Oddjob.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

I only played 3 but I liked it at the time. but yeah it was bad

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Which of the Atelier games on the PS3 are worth picking up? I just fell onto a $50 Amazon Gift Card and I'm trying to get some more JRPGs for my collection. I've been playing Ayesha and its pretty fun, though I'm always concerned (even though I'm still only into May) that I'm going to run out of time or I'm going to miss stuff because of the timer. But the crafting is fun, and its got pretty impressive visual style. Which of the others are worth picking up?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Escha and Logy is definitely the best PS3 game in the series. Totori is probably the best of the Arland games but its a noticeable step back from Ayesha and Escha and Logy and Knuckles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like Atelier discussion here popped up out of nowhere over the past year or so, presumably coinciding with the release of Escha and Logy. Since I know the series has been around for a while, is this because E&L is just that much better than the rest or was I just living under a rock all this time with regards to its popularity?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

hubris.height posted:

The Sci Fi rpg thing and crafting are hard to come by anything similar.

Is it really a sci fi RPG if the sci fi part is like 5 minutes of Claude's intro before he uses swords for the rest of the game? And I guess Opera is there.

So is Trails in the Sky an actual good JRPG or are there caveats and asterisks to go along with "good"?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey nerds, do you guys talk about Zelda games in here or are they not RPG enough? There's no reason to play the DS or 3DS games in any order, is there? I have played through the first area of Ocarina of Time and reached the castle (or keep or town or whatever it is) with the moat around it. I also have Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks sitting untouched from an eBay purchase... does it matter at all in terms of playing order?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

evilalien posted:

1. You'll get other party members soon, just keep bringing up the quick travel menu in town and trigger all events that show up with a face or red !. You can freely remove the main character you aren't playing as from the party (Logy). If you want to get as many character events as possible then it is recommended that you keep your non-chosen main character out of the party entirely and cycle the other characters between front lines and reserves. Events depend on a hidden stat that goes up as days pass and it goes up quicker when they are in the front lines, so give characters that show up later more front line time if possible.

2. You'll get a new thing in your atelier that will allow you to make equipment eventually, just keep playing and trigger all town events.

3. On Logy's path, Escha handles all alchemy still. There are only minor differences between the paths unfortunately.

Cool, thanks. I expected them to make me drag Logy around constantly, so it's good to know I won't have to after a bit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey nerds, do you guys talk about Zelda games in here or are they not RPG enough? There's no reason to play the DS or 3DS games in any order, is there? I have played through the first area of Ocarina of Time and reached the castle (or keep or town or whatever it is) with the moat around it. I also have Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks sitting untouched from an eBay purchase... does it matter at all in terms of playing order?

It doesn't really matter at all, though Phantom is a sequel to Wind Waker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

BadAstronaut posted:

Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker and will happily spoil Wind Waker's plot twist in the first 2 minutes of the game. Beyond that, play what you want when you want.