Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sereri posted:

You can swipe to see the sidemenu from anywhere on the left side of the screen which has the bookmark button all the way on the right

I cant swipe from left with my right hand. Also the button is literally in the middle of my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh god please give me back the other layout. The bookmark button is no longer where I want it and I can't find the skip to thread page feature.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Sereri posted:

Good news, that should be fixed in the version going out right now.

Working wonderfully, thanks! :D

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SEKCobra posted:

I cant swipe from left with my right hand. Also the button is literally in the middle of my screen.

Pretty much 5050 that you go up one forum instead of opening the menu.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

SEKCobra posted:

Pretty much 5050 that you go up one forum instead of opening the menu.

Yeah, there's a bit of control collision here. Could try a screen swipe down from not-the-edge?

E: Well, that seems to refresh sometimes, but you could probably reclaim that gesture.

EE: For the side menu, not just for bookmarking, I mean.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 22, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Please pop the bookmark button back in the top corner, it breaks the user flow. Given that there's now just a blank spot to there the functionality has been buried for no good reason

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't updated to the build that just got pushed out, but for those of you having issues with random black blocking: try changing your Hardware Acceleration option in the app settings (not Android's Development option). To stop the blocking from occurring, I've found that I need to disable it on pre-4.4 builds (both stock and CM nightlies, with the same results on a Galaxy S3 and a Nexus 10), but for 4.4+ I have to enable it.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

w00tmonger posted:

Please pop the bookmark button back in the top corner, it breaks the user flow. Given that there's now just a blank spot to there the functionality has been buried for no good reason

Before this update Awful was the best designed app on my phone. It's now much less usable and intuitive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Went to turn off auto-update aaaaand it finished downloading before I could stop it :mad:

New Awful update murdered my family and fed it to rabid wolves! Change is bad! :(

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Another problem with the update: bookmarks now take two separate presses to reach. Incredible inefficiency! Please fix.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sorry if this has already been reported but unicode is no go. My guess is it needs to send a different content-type charset on the POST. Looks like it's sending UTF-8 but the server's reading it as Latin-1.

Hope this is helpful :-)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'm fine with the new update but I never used the bookmarks button anyway. I just swiped to the right to bring them up. The icons in the hamburger menu look terrible, though. Any reason they're not menu items in the gigantic empty space?

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
What happened to the go to page menu? Please bring it back!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

What happened to the go to page menu? Please bring it back!

What happens if you tap the page indicator at the bottom?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I don't know if this is feasible or not, but when only one or two posts appear on the current unread page, how about appending the next page?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lol why would you make control panel two clicks away? Even the actual forums has a direct link on the top of every page

Can someone release a non lovely branch please thanks in advance

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Zo posted:

Can someone release a non lovely branch please thanks in advance

I guess since it's open source you can release one tia

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

In news that is not angry about the redesign - did Something.apk die off while I wasn't paying attention? I thought it was taking the place of Awful but I can't even find a thread for it anymore.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

In news that is not angry about the redesign - did Something.apk die off while I wasn't paying attention? I thought it was taking the place of Awful but I can't even find a thread for it anymore.

It's in the project.log subforum of the Cavern of COBOL:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616534

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I also can't figure out how to reply on a Galaxy S3 without hitting the menu button.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've literally never clicked the bookmarks icon because when I click the word "Bookmarks" at the top of the forums list it goes to the bookmarks page.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
So awful app ui designers, what was accomplished by removing the bookmark/home button? How does that help your users use the app?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

VodeAndreas posted:

It's in the project.log subforum of the Cavern of COBOL:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616534

Oh that makes sense. You are a good person.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

anthonypants posted:

I've literally never clicked the bookmarks icon because when I click the word "Bookmarks" at the top of the forums list it goes to the bookmarks page.

Same. And it still works!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

anthonypants posted:

I was wondering what people were whining about as I have never noticed the bookmark icon. I've always gone straight to bookmarks using that link.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Fart of Presto posted:

I was wondering what people were whining about as I have never noticed the bookmark icon. I've always gone straight to bookmarks using that link.

You can't use that link when reading a thread.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

SEKCobra posted:

You can't use that link when reading a thread.

Why would I use the link when I'm reading a thread?
And when I'm done reading the thread, I just swipe back to the bookmarks page.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

If we're doing tallies, I used the bookmark button religiously

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Fart of Presto posted:

Why would I use the link when I'm reading a thread?
And when I'm done reading the thread, I just swipe back to the bookmarks page.

Why doesn't everyone else use this app the way I do? You are all stupid!

I for one hate side-swiping and you can't do that anyway now because it probably opens the menu.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SEKCobra posted:

Why doesn't everyone else use this app the way I do? You are all stupid!

I for one hate side-swiping and you can't do that anyway now because it probably opens the menu.

There are two quite distinct side swipes: one that starts on or beyond the left edge of the screen which brings up the hamburger menu, and the other which starts from anywhere not super-close to the left edge and goes back to wherever you loaded the tread from.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Redo the entire UI in ~material design~!
I did use the Bookmarks icon often, but then again I never realized the 'bookmark's word at the top of the listing.
Took me a bit to realize the copy under the profile picture was a hierarchy of where I was. Since that's already easily gotten to via swiping from the non-edge, would it make more sense to have "Log Out", "Settings" and "Bookmarks" there instead?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

There are two quite distinct side swipes: one that starts on or beyond the left edge of the screen which brings up the hamburger menu, and the other which starts from anywhere not super-close to the left edge and goes back to wherever you loaded the tread from.
There's also the back button on your device; if you opened a thread from the bookmarks menu and then press the back button, it will take you back to the bookmarks menu.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What happens if you tap the page indicator at the bottom?

Thank you, I am a dumb.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

There's also the back button on your device; if you opened a thread from the bookmarks menu and then press the back button, it will take you back to the bookmarks menu.

When using a phone with your right hand, your thumb most likely hovers around the top right. Thats why that icon there is very convenient.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

When using a phone with your right hand, your thumb most likely hovers around the top right. Thats why that icon there is very convenient.

Do you have an actual study to back that up or is that just your usage? Because I would put my bets on the middle/bottom and centerish maybe even left being where most people hover their thumb when holding a phone right-handed.

EDIT: Just want to throw it out there that I am generally curious if there's data on this, not trying to be a cock.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 23, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

OK, I think Sereri gets it. You all can stop piling on the poor guy who made this free thing for free.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Dave posted:

Do you have an actual study to back that up or is that just your usage? Because I would put my bets on the middle/bottom and centerish maybe even left being where most people hover their thumb when holding a phone right-handed.

EDIT: Just want to throw it out there that I am generally curious if there's data on this, not trying to be a cock.

I'm not working of a study here, but I'm sure some UI designers have done extensive research on this.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

hooah posted:

Ah thanks. I didn't know this. It's still annoying to lose the bookmark button but at least I don't have to reach to hit the menu button anymore.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I like the sidebar a lot but am not a fan of the logout button being right where it is. Feel like I could accidentally hit it any time I need to go to settings or pm's. Would it make more sense if the buttons are reversed so that the bookmark button is all the way left? That way when using the device in your lefthand, you hit the bar and then have the bookmarks button right there.

Losing the bookmark button is kind of whatever for me. I wouldn't mind it back like before but would be interested in other alternatives as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

SEKCobra posted:

I'm not working of a study here, but I'm sure some UI designers have done extensive research on this.

Try for yourself and compare!

Now onto more topical discussions.

Is there a way to turn of signatures? They're fine enough on a PC, but the limited screen real estate on even these large modern phones makes some of the new signatures a little annoying. I vaguely recall there being a method to do so but I can't find it for the life of me.