Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Not really. Bad shows like this air every year they are just mostly ignored or forgotten by the internet, it's just now Community geeks are jumping all over themselves over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh I agree about there being tons of bad shows quickly forgotten every year but there's just something about the particular ZEITGEIST of bad of this year's crop that MR. EGYPT and CAPTAIN COOK and MINDJACKER captured.

For example, THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA is probably going to be a bad show, but it doesn't fit into the same kind of "wait is this a bad show or a parody of bad shows" that all these others do.

VDay posted:

So either Harmon or someone at Community got a peak at NBC's list of upcoming shows and spoofed it, right? Because the idea that they came up with their cheesy awful fakes by themselves and then were one-upped (one-downed?) by NBC's actual, real programming is kind of mind-boggling.

e: For some reason I thought 2-3 of the shows had similar premises, but I guess it's just Captain Cook/Food Fighters. Still an impressively fake-sounding lineup from NBC though. Hope some people got some well-earned promotions for those hot bangers.
My best guess is that working with the execs for so many years they got a "feel" for the kinds of horrible failures of shows they would inevitably greenlight and parodied that in a fairly spot-on manner.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The latest episode of Nathan for You is one of the funniest things i've seen in a while. When he starts spitting wildly, that was a real big laugh. And the fact that his plan for the car wash actually seemed to work pretty well in the end (at least for that one day) was really amusing. The real awkward little moments at the end are always funny too but the car wash one really was the height of cringeworthy brilliance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think that spitting was real

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Metropolis posted:

It will probably be like the family scenes in Homeland that have nothing to do with CIA/terrorist stuff except most of the time instead of sometimes
What's the problem? One of the most interesting things about the Manhattan Project is that the government created three artificial towns, moved a ton of people and their families there, lied to most of them about what they were doing, and swore the rest to secrecy. That's without getting into figures like Fermi, Szilard, and obviously Oppenheimer. Family life and personal drama is a lot more interesting than watching them figure out the mechanics behind the bombs or produce plutonium.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
What is this show called, what channel will it be on, and what day and time will it air?

E: Never heard of the WGN channel

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

WGN is out of Chicago. It's "the" Chicago channel. WGN America is what it's called nationally.

Basically it was always the Cubs network and now they are getting into original programming.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Fooz posted:

Edit: The manhattan project had one extremely dramatic event that occurred during its operations, I wonder how they'll portray it. It's drama gold, really.

I assume you're talking about "Tickling the dragon's tail," but both those incidents actually happened after the bombs were dropped on Japan. While dramatic, sure, they were not as important as the other stuff that happened.

You've got your story of secrecy and security, but you'd also got a spy/intrigue angle where the soviets were trying to get info (and they ultimately did), you've got an almost unheard of amalgamation of genius-level physicists and mathematicians (poo poo, they had Feynman doing essentially grunt work) who, despite the tales, knew exactly what was going on.

You hear tales of people questioning whether the bomb would "ignite the atmosphere" or other stuff, but these guys were smarter than that. At the trinity test, you had Feynman reasoning that the intense UV would be blocked by a truck's windshield, so he could watch the device's effects (save the initial flash) without wearing the super dark glasses. You had Fermi, who knew the distance to the device and the average air pressure in the area take some leaves or grass from the ground, throw it in the air, see how much it was displaced by the shockwave, and get a pretty solid estimate of the device's total yield.

And yeah, you had basically a gigantic (and I mean gigantic) pile of granite used to filter the fissionable uranium before they developed the centrifugal method.

It's a cool story any way you look at it.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think anyone who thinks NBC only just started making shows as comically bad as the Community parodies is forgetting Dr. Facehands

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

I think anyone who thinks NBC only just started making shows as comically bad as the Community parodies is forgetting Dr. Facehands

Holy poo poo I hadn't seen this.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the problem? One of the most interesting things about the Manhattan Project is that the government created three artificial towns, moved a ton of people and their families there, lied to most of them about what they were doing, and swore the rest to secrecy. That's without getting into figures like Fermi, Szilard, and obviously Oppenheimer. Family life and personal drama is a lot more interesting than watching them figure out the mechanics behind the bombs or produce plutonium.

Rabbit Hill posted:

What is this show called, what channel will it be on, and what day and time will it air?

E: Never heard of the WGN channel

The show is called "Manhattan" ( though all the promo materials call it "Manh(A)ttan") and it premieres next week on WGN. While the setting and subject matter sounds interesting, the trailer for the show is not great. It looked to me like Melrose Place set in the desert. I'll probably still give it a shot, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

So with this, Taxi Brooklyn, Food Fighters, and Working the Engles, can we say that NBC programming has now surpassed the Community Finale?

Food Fighters is just a silly name though. There's nothing really crazy about the concept.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Crossposting from the HBO Person of Interest thread: Anthony Hopkins is set for the HBO adaptation of Westworld, aka the next thread we'll all be bitching about.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well here's yer problem...

quote:

the J.J. Abrams-produced series

Hurrrr lens flares ahahahahah lmao

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MrAristocrates posted:

Holy poo poo I hadn't seen this.

And that's not even the only bad Jekyll and Hyde show NBC has made in the last decade.

The previous one starred Christian Slater.

zoux posted:

Well here's yer problem...

It's also being worked on by Jonah Nolan aka Chris Nolan's brother aka the Person Of Interest guy and his wife.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that there is no more contentious issue in TVIV than Corey Stoll's wig but apparently the whole point of putting him in one is so that they could take it away later for a dramatic change, per the producers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

And that's not even the only bad Jekyll and Hyde show NBC has made in the last decade.

The previous one starred Christian Slater.

My Own Worst Enemy? That wasn't really Jekyll and Hyde so much as it was it was a spy show where the guy didn't know he was a spy because of some bio implant in his brain. And it wasn't bad at all. Nothing great about it but it was kind of fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FX didn't order Charlie Kaufman's pilot to series. What the gently caress FX

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

My Own Worst Enemy? That wasn't really Jekyll and Hyde so much as it was it was a spy show where the guy didn't know he was a spy because of some bio implant in his brain. And it wasn't bad at all. Nothing great about it but it was kind of fun.

And from what I remember of it, the spy persona was an rear end in a top hat and would do things to gently caress with the other persona's normal life. Not as straight a Jekyll and Hyde adaptation as Do No Harm apparently is, but I would consider it one nonetheless.

I didn't like it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I am unreasonably excited about this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually seem to remember My Own Worst Enemy was not bad at all.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Adventures of Richard Feynman action-comedy hour would be pretty entertaining.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

precision posted:

I actually seem to remember My Own Worst Enemy was not bad at all.

I remember liking it quite a bit, and that it ended with a big cliffhanger. :( It also had Alfre Woodard and I think James Cromwell and they're both great.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I'm sorry, but:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/03/star-trek-into-darkness-jj-abrams-lens-flare

A lovely director posted:

"This is how stupid it was," said Abrams. "I actually had to use Industrial Light & Magic to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is, I know, moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery."

"I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.'"

The video at that link lists over 800 lens flares in the horrible Star Trek movie that came out a few years ago. JJ Abrams being a lovely director who uses too much lens flare isn't just an internet meme, its the stone cold truth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And a billion internet posters smugly patting themselves on the back for pointing out lensflares and making the same tired jokes over and over sucks and that is also the stone cold truth.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Redditors being Redditors doesn't take away from the fact that JJ Abrams is the M Night Shyamalan of the 2010s--all hype, no substance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Okey dokey.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

And a billion internet posters smugly patting themselves on the back for pointing out lensflares and making the same tired jokes over and over sucks and that is also the stone cold truth.

Don't worry, I'm sure when the new Star Wars movie comes out the basement rapist review guys will make up a whole bunch of new talking points about how JJ Abrams is objectively terrible and we'll long for the days of simple "...lens flare :owned:" jokes instead of people regurgitating ad hominems and film theory they know nothing about and acting like they were the ones who made it up themselves.

I'm really not looking forward to the next "define this character without using their job or appearance :smug:", "shot reverse shot :smug:", or "I have no idea what rough cuts of a movie are even for but the video review guy said that them not being happy with it was a bad thing so eat poo poo Lucas :smug:"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

people regurgitating ad hominems and film theory they know nothing about and acting like they were the ones who made it up themselves.

poo poo you just owned all those opinion-having people for not wasting their parents' money on film school.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows you're not allowed to criticise something unless you can do it yourself and that people who use that defence are totally right all the time.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The only great thing about Star Wars was the nostalgia.

I remember the prequels being great because of nostalgia. It's the same reason that children in the 70's thought their Star Wars was great.

The truth is that they're not all that good. Remember Return of The Jedi and its deus ex machina of an ending, and its plot being the exact same as A New Hope? A New Hope was good, The Empire Strikes Back was brilliant. But the entire series is not as infallible as their fans built it up to be. star wars christmas special

Are the prequels full of plotholes? Sure. But are they entertaining? Absolutely. Jar Jar was great comic relief to the suspense of Qui Gon Jinn's death. The Pod Racing scene produced one of the greatest Chuck E. Cheese's video games known to man.

Considering that J.J. Abrams made the only successful and decent Star Trek movies in Star Trek's history of bad movies, I have no doubt that these upcoming Star Wars movies will be successful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jar Jar is great comic relief?

Now I've seen everything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

Everyone knows you're not allowed to criticise something unless you can do it yourself and that people who use that defence are totally right all the time.

Except he's even more off base since the RLM guys DO make their own stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know that entire post is a blatant troll but Into Darkness is not "decent." That movie is awful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ravane posted:

Considering that J.J. Abrams made the only successful and decent Star Trek movies in Star Trek's history of bad movies, I have no doubt that these upcoming Star Wars movies will be successful.

Then what do you call Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

I know that entire post is a blatant troll but Into Darkness is not "decent." That movie is awful.

Yeah but every other Star Trek movie is super awful.

Ravane posted:

The only great thing about Star Wars was the nostalgia.

I remember the prequels being great because of nostalgia. It's the same reason that children in the 70's thought their Star Wars was great.

The truth is that they're not all that good. Remember Return of The Jedi and its deus ex machina of an ending, and its plot being the exact same as A New Hope? A New Hope was good, The Empire Strikes Back was brilliant. But the entire series is not as infallible as their fans built it up to be. star wars christmas special

Are the prequels full of plotholes? Sure. But are they entertaining? Absolutely. Jar Jar was great comic relief to the suspense of Qui Gon Jinn's death. The Pod Racing scene produced one of the greatest Chuck E. Cheese's video games known to man.

You used Deus Ex Machina wrong.

I can't remember if your gimmick includes using terms like that wrong, or if it's a genuine mistake. There's too many to keep track of lately.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 23, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bobkatt013 posted:

Then what do you call Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact?

I don't deny that there aren't undiscovered classics like the ones you have listed, but considering that they have not made it into mainstream fame like the original Star Wars and the new Star Trek films, they're considered unsuccessful in my opinion. I've never even heard of those movies.

MrAristocrates posted:

Into Darkness is a wonderful entrance into the Star Trek universe for the casual viewer. It's also a powerful sequel to the original Star Trek. Your bias because of your attachment to these old movies once again reinforces the blinding nature of nostalgia. Watch these movies with a blank slate, unaffected by the knowledge of previous Star Trek history and you shall find yourself watching a great science-fiction/action movie.

Aphrodite posted:

You used Deus Ex Machina wrong.

Are you suggesting that a group of primitive tribal bears is completely capable of beating an overpowered military, who has already baited a small platoon of armed rebels into a trap. They used rocks to fight off the stormtroopers.

If it were a Pyrrhic victory, I would not call it a deus ex machina. But they won because they had to win. They had no tactics, they had no weapons, they didn't even have enough people. They won with just magic.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 23, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I... what?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ravane posted:

I don't deny that there aren't undiscovered classics like the ones you have listed, but considering that they have not made it into mainstream fame like the original Star Wars and the new Star Trek films, they're considered unsuccessful in my opinion. I've never even heard of those movies.

Into Darkness is a wonderful entrance into the Star Trek universe for the casual viewer. It's also a powerful sequel to the original Star Trek. Your bias because of your attachment to these old movies once again reinforces the blinding nature of nostalgia. Watch these movies with a blank slate, unaffected by the knowledge of previous Star Trek history and you shall find yourself watching a great science-fiction/action movie.

Haha Khan has not made it to mainstream fame. Its also due to these films that there was another series. The attachment to the original films in Into Darkness they ripped off wholesale sections of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ravane posted:

I've seen very little of any of the shows, and none of the old movies. Into Darkness just sucks.

• Locked thread