Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it was a search for milquetoast and there were a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Do you not have plat mate.

Sometimes linking a search doesn't work. Oddly it worked for me, but I've seen it not work for me.

Anyway, it's just a search for "milquetoast" and there're 830 instances of it being used on these forums.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

I've decided that I'm fed up with facebook friends posting pro-Israel stuff, which Latuff cartoon is the most persuasive?
here's his latest:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

I've decided that I'm fed up with facebook friends posting pro-Israel stuff, which Latuff cartoon is the most persuasive?

Goku assfucking Piñera

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

goku

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KoldPT posted:

Goku assfucking Piñera

Was that a real Latuff? I thought it was a parody.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
KoldPT knows his poo poo.

zoux posted:

Yeah, it was real.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

KoldPT posted:

Goku assfucking Piñera
hell, i'm down

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Brawnfire posted:

Does anyone else here ever have people constantly telling them to tone down their facebook statuses because of "professional contacts"?

It seems so pathetic to cowardly post milquetoast bullshit just because someone might deign to give you money at some juncture. It feels like the most American thing.

I'm actually surprised there are so many political posts of facebook, considering travel guides and similiar sources pushed the idea that politics is something Americans usually do not discuss with people outside their family or very close friends.

And if people do not have separate social networking accounts for private and professional lives, it's their own drat fault. :colbert:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also what the hell is wrong with milquetoast!!!!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Presidente is my favorite Mexico-and-below beer after Xingu. Central Americans really know how to make cheap light beachy pils.

After our colloquy on Atlanta I'm taking this as some kind of cross-cultural seal of approval from the Southern delegation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

also what the hell is wrong with milquetoast!!!!

I'm over it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

But sometimes I just post something sardonic and someone will pop up with a message saying "omg what if your employer sees this"

Actually my favorite example was getting into a massive row with someone about politics. After they went off on a poorly-spelled ad hominem rant where they said I should shave and compared Obama with Hitler, he told me "don't ask me for a letter of recommendation." Don't worry, I'll save it for someone who could spell the whole thing correctly.

Anyhow, I just feel like this "don't look unattractive to employers!" is the most speech-chilling thing, and the fact that anyone can say those things without realizing how gross it sounds is depressing to me.

I'm not gonna touch this milquetoast poo poo, sorry I used that word now.

R. Mute posted:

i dislike ad hom more than milquetoast, tbh

AUGH drat IT

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 23, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm over it, Jerry! I'm taking a stand!

You're taking a stand?

I'm taking a stand, Jerry!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm usually too scared to actually post anything political on Facebook for fear of possible real-life repercussions, but I know people who openly use their personal facebook accounts as right-wing circlejerk pages

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXr-nLock7k

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I was complaining about my cities lack of city trash services awhile back, and how I have to pay some random old dude to pickup my trash because the city I live in got rid of trash service...

Well, this brilliant setup has apparently failed. The guy didn't pickup the trash yesterday, or so far today. I can see trash bags/cans sitting out all down my road. I tried calling the guy, and it goes straight to his voicemail that is full and can't take new messages. The best part about his voicemail is that he told me he doesn't know how to use it anyway, that was why it took me six weeks to get a hold of the guy to get trash service started initially when I moved there.

I think I am going to have to buy a truck and just start driving my stuff the the dump that's 20 miles away. Clearly this is so much better than paying taxes/fees to have the city do it! :psyduck:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if you live in libertopia, just dump it by the side of the road. or in front of city hall or something. just tell them it's your right to do so or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You can't burn it in a barrel?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Randler posted:

And if people do not have separate social networking accounts for private and professional lives, it's their own drat fault. :colbert:

Oh, this is what really gets me. I DO. So basically, if someone is offended by my posts, they are my friend already and should get what I'm about. If they're not my friend, they can only access my portfolio and website. So why do people have to encourage jumping at ghosts?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

R. Mute posted:

if you live in libertopia, just dump it by the side of the road. or in front of city hall or something. just tell them it's your right to do so or something.

If this was libertopia I could probably pay some giant corporation to come pickup my trash.

This is redneck republicantopia, where they just cut stuff and tell you to deal with it, apparently.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Just donate your trash to the city officials.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Randler posted:

I enjoy having two. One for every day, and one for the Employer search. My advice is to wear a suit, look wistfully into the distance holding a bible while standing in front of the American flag. Interests: Golf, Tennis, The NYSE, Working late. Heroes: Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Jesus. Likes: Forbes, Fortune, The Wall Street Journal, Mercedes, Rolex.

My employers haven't bothered me about social media since. But then again, they also know me well enough to realize that the page is a gigantic middle finger.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

R. Mute posted:

Ad hominems get an undeserved bad rep, because people have problems distinguishing between the factual and logical aspects of a statement being correct. When somebody says "Stuff that cures diseases is good." and "Homeopathy cures diseases" therefore "Homeopathy is good." the response of "You're a known liar with a vested financial interest in selling homeopathy." is a fallacy regarding the logic of that argument but might be a valid interjection to scrutinize the axiomatic statement of "Homeopathy curses diseases."

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
bringing up logical fallacies is both accurate in many cases and a great way to have people look at you funny in a real world argument

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, this is what really gets me. I DO. So basically, if someone is offended by my posts, they are my friend already and should get what I'm about. If they're not my friend, they can only access my portfolio and website. So why do people have to encourage jumping at ghosts?

Because people desperately hunt for reasons that bad things happen and ways to either self-flagellate or castigate others to maintain the illusion of control over their outcomes in the face of lovely job opportunities.

I mean I am sure there are edge cases where people's social media presence has cost them opportunities but I think those are probably less common than you'd think. Chances are you are not as controversial as you think you are.

Also, a coworker's daughter is interning in PR and apparently having a twitter and a tumblr and an Instagram and poo poo is like part of the application so it probably matters there.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 23, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

Ad hominems get an undeserved bad rep, because people have problems distinguishing between the factual and logical aspects of a statement being correct. When somebody says "Stuff that cures diseases is good." and "Homeopathy cures diseases" therefore "Homeopathy is good." the response of "You're a known liar with a vested financial interest in selling homeopathy." is a fallacy regarding the logic of that argument but might be a valid interjection to scrutinize the axiomatic statement of "Homeopathy curses diseases."
i just don't give a gently caress about tone

Zeitgueist posted:

bringing up logical fallacies is both accurate in many cases and a great way to have people look at you funny in a real world argument
in any situation. it's obnoxious, boring and uncreative. everytime i see that picture with 'list of logical fallacies' i hurl. in very much related news, i wish everyone that idolises 'reason' and 'science', or whatever they want to call whatever their current excuse for being condescending liberal fucks is this month, would go gently caress themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

in any situation. it's obnoxious, boring and uncreative. everytime i see that picture with 'list of logical fallacies' i hurl. in very much related news, i wish everyone that idolises 'reason' and 'science', or whatever they want to call whatever their current excuse for being condescending liberal fucks is this month, would go gently caress themselves.

Whoa check out all these add homonyms and other assorted fallacies!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't think it's unfair to think someone could respond to your points without calling you a human being who needs a haircut and a shave and will never contribute to society because you'll never get a job.

v v if you're talking to a conservative, more often than not that IS their full response v v

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I don't think it's unfair to think someone could respond to your points without calling you a human being who needs a haircut and a shave and will never contribute to society because you'll never get a job.

Yeah but you can do both.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

yeah but apparently a ton of people do

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if i'm having a discussion with you about something and i'm really passionate about it, you can be drat sure i'm backspacing a bunch of insults and snide remarks just so i don't get banned every month. and still people think i'm overly aggressive.

it's called passion! maybe you should try and be passionate about something you emotionless robot! *flips desk*

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I appreciate your restraint, mute

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

His debate level is over 9000!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

if i'm having a discussion with you about something and i'm really passionate about it, you can be drat sure i'm backspacing a bunch of insults and snide remarks just so i don't get banned every month. and still people think i'm overly aggressive.

it's called passion! maybe you should try and be passionate about something you emotionless robot! *flips desk*

It's one of the things I find frustrating in the US. Apparently catcalling during Presidential speeches is worth mentioning, or people arguing about politics (or really, anything) at work. You should be able to express yourself emotionally outside of drunken brawls and drunken political rallies and drunken...

Wait a minute! I think I know where terrible American drinking culture comes from! :haw:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

i used to be a whole lot more restrained in my posting but I found it didn't make much of a difference and I enjoy being more blunt

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeitgueist posted:

i used to be a whole lot more restrained in my posting but I found it didn't make much of a difference and I enjoy being more blunt

Is that so?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

well obviously i'm still blunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

well obviously i'm still blunt

I find that your no caps style gives off a low-key, almost mumbly vibe like Arby in Utopia (which everyone should watch).

• Locked thread