Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I played 2 hours of Halfway and here are my thoughts so far.

It's a squad based tactical game with turn-based combat and some simple RPG elements. From the audio-visual side it's definitely a very pretty pixel-art title with atmospheric levels and this sort of 80's Alien thing going for it.

The levels are small so far and basically offer a maximum of 2-3 battles and it's over. The game plays more like Final Fantasy Tactics with some dialogue and a bit of level exploration than X-com (but doesn't really get close in quality to either).

The enemies aren't too varied or smart (yet). If you find a good spot you can just wait for them to come over to get murdered one by one. You don't really have to do that though as the game is really easy. That's my biggest complaint really as so far I haven't felt any pressure and taking shots to the face while slowly approaching an enemy to get a high enough accuracy is a valid tactic. It just seems that equipment WAY outpaces the enemy power progression. It's either this or I'm taking part in the longest tutorial in gaming or something.

Cool thing in this game is that each squad mate has his/her own inventory, special abilities, stats that you can level up using rare items etc. It's all kept on a basic level but I don't really have anything against that. The UIs are really nice and polished, the way the game is controlled is smooth and deserves praise. You also get a home base but its only real use is storage.

In summary I'd call this baby's first X-com/tactics game. It's a really well presented title with a tad too thin gameplay and way too low difficulty. Unless the meat of the game is still ahead of me of course. The official screenshots show a few squad mates that I haven't met yet and the level map makes it look like I'm 1/4 into the game. I'll stick to it and see what it still has in store but if you're a tactics games veteran then definitely save yourself the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So I did a system restore and it seems two games I recently installed appears to be not installed despite the game files still being in SteamApps folder. I assume the registry entries are missing and I can't verify integrity of the game cache either, as the option is greyed out. Deleted Clientregistry.blob. It did nothing.

Is there a way to reinstall them easily? I really don't want to download 20+ gb again. :(

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

On the heels of Halfway sounding a bit disappointing, could I get a recommendation for a turn-based strategy game with a focus on the squad level? Latest game like that I've had fun with was XCOM:EW.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

SilverMike posted:

On the heels of Halfway sounding a bit disappointing, could I get a recommendation for a turn-based strategy game with a focus on the squad level? Latest game like that I've had fun with was XCOM:EW.

Have you tried Xenonauts? Everyone I've talked to that's played it seems to be having a lot of fun with it, but it's more like the old XCOM games than the new ones

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Haven't tried it yet, wasn't sure how much more I'd enjoy it over OpenXCOM.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Kins posted:

Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

I swear I never quite got the hate for EA. Origin is actually a fantastic platform and giveaways like these are pretty nice.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

fspades posted:

So I did a system restore and it seems two games I recently installed appears to be not installed despite the game files still being in SteamApps folder. I assume the registry entries are missing and I can't verify integrity of the game cache either, as the option is greyed out. Deleted Clientregistry.blob. It did nothing.

Is there a way to reinstall them easily? I really don't want to download 20+ gb again. :(

cut the game folders from stamapps and paste them in a new temporary home. Then install the games through steam. Stop the download once it starts. Paste the original files back. Verify integrity of game cache.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Iron Rose posted:

I swear I never quite got the hate for EA. Origin is actually a fantastic platform and giveaways like these are pretty nice.

During the period where publishers were buying out all the vulnerable developers they could get their hands on, EA had a nasty habit of buying popular studios and unceremoniously dismantling them. They've tried to work on their reputation since then, but terrible game launches like SimCity and Battlefield keep them tarnished.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zombie Samurai posted:

During the period where publishers were buying out all the vulnerable developers they could get their hands on, EA had a nasty habit of buying popular studios and unceremoniously dismantling them. They've tried to work on their reputation since then, but terrible game launches like SimCity and Battlefield keep them tarnished.
And from the sound of it they haven't learned for their mistakes at all because Sims 4 is probably going to be a trainwreck. EA isn't good, but Origin is fine now and I don't mind free games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Origin has only just started to add support and features on par with Steam, and it took them a long, LONG time to reach that point. Back before EA rebranded it, it was a lovely little app called EA Downloader, and anything you bought through it had an expiry date. You could pay an extra $6 on top of your premium direct-from-publisher price for 'download insurance' so that you'd be able to access the game for another two years.

There has been so much wrong with Origin over the years. It's decent and unobtrusive enough now (although it's yet another password/login to remember), but it took a very long time to get to such a mediocre position.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dominic White posted:

Origin has only just started to add support and features on par with Steam, and it took them a long, LONG time to reach that point. Back before EA rebranded it, it was a lovely little app called EA Downloader, and anything you bought through it had an expiry date. You could pay an extra $6 on top of your premium direct-from-publisher price for 'download insurance' so that you'd be able to access the game for another two years.

There has been so much wrong with Origin over the years. It's decent and unobtrusive enough now (although it's yet another password/login to remember), but it took a very long time to get to such a mediocre position.

Ow, okay that's bad. Still, coming into PC gaming recently (and not buying Sim City 4/Battlefield) I don't mind them overmuch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Origin is fine to use and it was nice that I was able to use my Mass Effect CD keys to get digital versions of the games, and the free games are a nice bonus. Their regional pricing is pretty atrocious though, far worse than most of what Steam does, and as far as I know they don't have any gifting capabilities yet. I got a retail copy of Mass Effect 3 for Christmas a couple of years back and the DLC pricing for those games is still ridiculous, tied up as they are in "Bioware Points" and never given any kind of discount or package deal that I've seen.

Until they have more reasonable pricing I'm unlikely to ever use Origin, but the platform itself is stable and unintrusive and has nowhere near the issues that something like Uplay does in terms of updating (and certainly it is far superior to GFWL).

From a purely selfish convenience point of view I'd prefer everything to be on Steam, and I quite often am left unaware of the existence of games that EA are producing that AREN'T on Steam (Titanfall or Syndicate for example), just because I don't feel like opening up more than one gaming platform just to keep up to date with upcoming titles/new releases.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr Suntory posted:

cut the game folders from stamapps and paste them in a new temporary home. Then install the games through steam. Stop the download once it starts. Paste the original files back. Verify integrity of game cache.

This almost helped. :sigh: It successfully verifies all files but it still doesn't let me to start the game and insists on downloading. Any other ideas?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

The Kins posted:

Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

Quoting this because this is a hell of a deal right here! And from what I can tell it's all 18 expansions, too!

Also chiming in to say that Origin is not that bad right now. It's another password to remember, but otherwise it's perfectly fine at what it does. Plus the free games every so often are a nice bonus.

Edit: If you actually want to play the Sims 2, you are a fool for not grabbing it on Origin for free. General EA fuckery aside, Origin isn't going to put viruses on your computer or anything and it's a good deal better than it was a year ago. And I'm saying this as someone who only uses it for Mass Effect 3 and now Sims 2.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 24, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Iron Rose posted:

The games they sell that other companies made before they got gobbled up, got a price hike and don't go on sale as often.

Garden Warfare is a work in progress. Still good if it doesn't have latency issues.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Hogo Fogo posted:

New beta update...

:siren:
Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

Breadallelogram posted:

You can select multiple games now with shift-click or ctrl-click.

Oh, happy day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Origin's customer service is miles ahead of Steam in terms of accessibility and ease of use, in addition to EA offering a 24 hr window to return a game if you regret the purchase.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SilverMike posted:

It's Realtime with Pause, but there's something incredibly wrong with you if you aren't willingly playing Freedom Force.

Back to turn based - Fallout Tactics is STILL pretty loving great.

Frozen Synapse is not quite your traditional turnbased like your momma used to make, but it's literally one of my favorite strategy games I've ever played. poo poo's like Chess.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

fspades posted:

This almost helped. :sigh: It successfully verifies all files but it still doesn't let me to start the game and insists on downloading. Any other ideas?

Are you sure, it actually wants to download the whole game? Maybe steam just needs some install files (directx, C libraries...). I would try letting the download run for a couple minutes, see if that changes anything. If that doesn't help, then I don't know either, sorry.

Smileyfax
Dec 30, 2008
Sivek sent me a key for NPPD Rush - The Milk of Ultra violet (actual title features 1000% more backslashes). Thanks! :D

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Yea I had steam crash while it was updating a game and it looked like it was uninstalled even though everything was there. hitting install made it look like steam was going to redownload everything but it realized the files were there and only ended up downloading a tiny bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of free Origin stuff, I just loaded it up to redeem Sims 2 and it also gave me a free copy of Peggle AND automatically downloaded the Collectors Weapons/Armor set for Mass Effect 2.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of free Origin stuff, I just loaded it up to redeem Sims 2 and it also gave me a free copy of Peggle AND automatically downloaded the Collectors Weapons/Armor set for Mass Effect 2.

Peggle's been free all month and isn't the Collectors Weapon/Armor set free for ME2 anyway (part of the Cerberus Pack that comes with every new copy)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Peggle's been free all month and isn't the Collectors Weapon/Armor set free for ME2 anyway (part of the Cerberus Pack that comes with every new copy)?

It's been so long since I played that I couldn't remember if I had it or not, but in the Mass Effect thread they said that Origin has changed the way DLC works for ME2 and that you no longer need to download individual DLC packs from Bioware's Social website, so I guess it was just updating my version of the game.

Edit: Looking at the game details in Origin now, a bunch of free DLC that I already had installed as part of the Cerberus Pack or were free from Bioware are now re-available for "purchase".

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 24, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jerusalem posted:

I was going to go make an account to get that game and also because I may want to play Dragon Age Inquisition eventually... maybe.

Turns out I already have an account... which I've had since 2009. Must have made it for Spore or something... Oh well! I got my free game now and I can do whatever shenanigans DA:O uses Origin for.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
So this is at the bottom of the latest beta client notes:

quote:

Steam Music Beta
Introducing user interface to Steam Music for the Steam Client (visibility limited to invite-only beta participants, with a public beta coming soon)
Improved crawling of music files
Enabled media keyboard keys on Windows

Anyone know anything about this? I'd like more of my media tied in to Steam, but I'd hate for it to just be some half-assed competitor to iTunes or Google Play or Amazon.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Jerusalem posted:

Origin doesn't do great discounts. They do great giveaways.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tezzeract posted:

Well...only by accident. Their purposeful giveaways are merely okay. Nobody's shoving the American flag up their rear end because they are getting the Sims 2 or Peggle.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

l33t b4c0n posted:

So this is at the bottom of the latest beta client notes:

Anyone know anything about this? I'd like more of my media tied in to Steam, but I'd hate for it to just be some half-assed competitor to iTunes or Google Play or Amazon.

Right now, it's only a music player, and I think it’s a bit naff.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I didn't see anyone talk about this, but Gods Will Be Watching is getting released tomorrow on Steam, and Giant Bomb has a 43 minute quick look of it up.

It uh... it's something alright. (I preordered because goddamn am I into this)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So, Race 07 is a loving fun game, but god drat the Gumpert Apollo is a bitch to handle:

What's really funny is when you wreck hard sometimes only half the brake lights work.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Tezzeract posted:

I dunno, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag with all the DLC for 20 bucks on Origin Mexico is very tempting"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Luisfe posted:

I dunno, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag with all the DLC for 20 bucks on Origin Mexico is very tempting"

How do I get over to this 'Origin: Mexico' place you mention?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Drifter posted:

How do I get over to this 'Origin: Mexico' place you mention?

Install Hola Unblocker and set it to Mexico. Go to the games page and add the game to your basket, proceed to Checkout. Turn off Hola and sign in when prompted, the game should stay in your cart at the appropriate price. Checkout with Paypal.

I don't know if Uplay region locks keys though.

e: They might ban your account for this? I bought Titanfall and BF4 this way months ago with no repercussions and I'll probably buy the new Dragon Age this way if it's still way cheaper.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Delusibeta posted:

Right now, it's only a music player, and I think it’s a bit naff.

Disclaimer: haven't bothered with it after today's update yet, these are pre-today impressions. I also like shuffle, and have a ~2500 song, 350 album library (not bragging, who cares, just giving a sense of scale for my complaints)

It's just a music player usable while running the steam overlay. It's not a music store, you just point it to where your music files are and it crawls through and adds it all, like the itunes player would.

It's missing "shuffle all", you have to load individual songs/albums to playlists. I was not able to discover a way to save playlists and they don't even save between sessions. It always loaded at "A", and using the mousewheel to scroll around (while in big picture mode) wouldn't work right for me

It worked, in that you could choose song(s) and play them but it was quite clunky and tedious to work with in big picture mode, which is the only place it was available before. Apparently the player was supposed to recognize when you were playing or sounds happening in-game and it would auto-pause or lower the volume but I never used it while gaming due to the clunkiness of having to load (and reload every time) playlists, you could only shuffle after loading songs to your playlist and you couldn't add 'all songs' to your playlist either

edit: I will say, that it was kinda cool to pause a game, toss on a song while taking a break without having to leave steam/couch but if I was on my computer there was no way it would replace <playerofchoice>

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 24, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

The Iron Rose posted:

This comes up every so often but a reminder for all the things you may have missed: Being illegally awful to employees, early into the fray with microtransactions and making people pay to unlock features and multiplayer in a game you already bought, launching crappy services like Origin was originally when they clearly have the money and the people to make it better than that, and Madden aka $60 roster update and license monopoly simulator. The general retort is yeah well a lot of game studios are like that. I agree. I just quit console gaming because I hate this entire generation and I generally don't buy any new/"AAA" games except on Steam sale.

Zombie Samurai posted:

And that. And more.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

EA has a terrible rep for how their treat their devs. They've also been guilty of buying up much loved companies and turning them to absolute crap and it's easy to only remember more recent ones like Bioware but we're talking almost two decades ago with Origin (the company before it was a dumb Steam alike) and Bullfrog. Hell if the scuttlebutt is true you can even blame them for SSI turning to poo poo even if they didn't buy it directly.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Anyone else in the beta client release suddenly getting hideously heavy font smoothing in the Steam client and other weirdness? The font is headache inducing for me, as are all heavily smoothed fonts. But at the same time, backspace is erasing two characters instead of one, and I just found out when posting on their forums that links that get posted in are being duplicated one after the other (impossible to paste just the single URL). Never seen anything like this.

I've got no issues with Windows or any other programs besides, and this only just happened after I restarted Steam. Has anyone seen this in the past and knows what's up, or is it a new issue?

edit: doesn't affect any text in Library view. Just Store and community pages.

picture:

Hard to find a block of normal text but at the bottom left there you can see normal interface text which just has the standard Windows smoothing.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 24, 2014

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

How's the Arkham Origins season pass? Recently beat the game and really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Their sales are pretty laughable, it's true. But hey, at least now opening Origin doesn't give my computer a seizure like it use to.

Remember that year when EA first announced poo poo like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge and people liked for for a while? That didn't last very long.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 24, 2014

• Locked thread