Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Why did they put T spawn so far in the air? I played like 40 competitive rounds yesterday and fell off at least 3 times. One time I got scouted in the body and died because of the extra damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

BadLlama posted:

I played the new cobblestone for the first time this weekend and I don't understand the hate for it. It is 1000% better than how it was in 1.6.
1000% better than something that was "0" on the good scale, is still 0 on the good scale.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I want to play Aztec 2 or whatever that variation of Aztec that didn't loving blow was called

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NTT posted:

I want to play Aztec 2 or whatever that variation of Aztec that didn't loving blow was called

What's wrong with the fixed Aztec? Valve solved all the problems on that map by adding a way for CTs to rotate instantly. You can use it on the offense as T by simply:

1) Smoking bridge from water
2) Smoking stairs for water
3) Smoking top of stairs for B site and bridge
4) Somehow make it up the stairs and into the hallway without getting awped

Now you're in prime position, trapped helplessly in a tiny corridor with CTs on both sides of you. Balance achieved.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Salt Fish posted:

Why did they put T spawn so far in the air? I played like 40 competitive rounds yesterday and fell off at least 3 times. One time I got scouted in the body and died because of the extra damage.

I can't tell if this is a serious complaint, but there are ways to fall off that ledge without getting hurt whatsoever. There are a bunch of haystacks and other objects. Do you just always walk off cliffs without looking down?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

What's wrong with the fixed Aztec? Valve solved all the problems on that map by adding a way for CTs to rotate instantly. You can use it on the offense as T by simply:

1) Smoking bridge from water
2) Smoking stairs for water
3) Smoking top of stairs for B site and bridge
4) Somehow make it up the stairs and into the hallway without getting awped

Now you're in prime position, trapped helplessly in a tiny corridor with CTs on both sides of you. Balance achieved.
It has always been a massively CT sided map. It wasn't uncommon to have a 4 round T half be match winning on that abomination of a map.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Robot Randy posted:

The win rounds missions are p cool until you get one on maps that no one ever plays like cobblestone

I was carrying a team full of people who didn't have microphones on Castle to get my 16 round wins, we lost like 11-4 on CT side but then I started going rogue on T and getting 4 or 5 kill rounds in a supreme tryhard effort to get back to 14-13 despite losing pistol round, then my team votekicks me.

I still have to win 16 rounds on Castle. :shepicide:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I feel like you're omitting how you were being a complete poo poo head over coms or just playing drake and young eezy over and over during the match.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
You wound me, sir. I don't even know how to play music over voice chat.

Occasionally I get this glitch where it doesn't even register that voice communication exists in the game; it's as if someone toggled "voice_enable 0, except my team can still hear me. The only thing I've found works is exiting the game completely and rejoining. So, thinking that was the problem when I would make calls and they'd listen on CT, I quit and rejoined while dead in a round, only to find that nothing changed. Then at halftime, I could hear the other team's voice comms, and they could hear me, so it was just my team who had no use for microphones (or, I suspect, were all 4 on mumble or vent together). So I just stopped talking altogether and did my own thing, usually going the opposite way of my team and flanking hard because Castle is so heavily T-sided. The other team did accuse me of carrying and hacking and talked all kinds of poo poo to my entire team once we started coming back though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
CS players are the worst.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I can't tell if this is a serious complaint, but there are ways to fall off that ledge without getting hurt whatsoever. There are a bunch of haystacks and other objects. Do you just always walk off cliffs without looking down?

It is a serious complaint because it serves no purpose, adds nothing to the map, and just complicates things. It is basically the poster child for everything wrong with CS:GO maps. Meaningless terrain features that make things more complicated for no reason.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khorne posted:

It has always been a massively CT sided map. It wasn't uncommon to have a 4 round T half be match winning on that abomination of a map.

I was being extremely sarcastic.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

I noticed with your final steps, but I figured I'd point it out anyway.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Salt Fish posted:

It is a serious complaint because it serves no purpose, adds nothing to the map, and just complicates things. It is basically the poster child for everything wrong with CS:GO maps. Meaningless terrain features that make things more complicated for no reason.

You are literally complaining about falling off a cliff and losing health; a situation that is entirely avoidable with no extra time or effort taken to do so. T spawn being high off the ground complicates nothing. The least of my worries for a competitive de_cobblestone is "I fall off a cliff in spawn and then get one shot scouted."

mcvey posted:

CS players are the worst.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I think the cliff is funny because I like to see my teammates being too lazy to run to the haystacks and instead just run straight off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You are literally complaining about falling off a cliff and losing health; a situation that is entirely avoidable with no extra time or effort taken to do so. T spawn being high off the ground complicates nothing. The least of my worries for a competitive de_cobblestone is "I fall off a cliff in spawn and then get one shot scouted."

No, I'm complaining about purposeless clutter. The cliff is a metaphor.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Imagine four Silver I's on the edge of a cliff... CS works the same way

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Robot Randy posted:

Imagine four Silver I's on the edge of a cliff... CS works the same way

All four jump and get headshots on the way down with a random rear end spray gg no re

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Three die from fall damage

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh my god I think Slumpy, Systane and I just found the Vibes Messiah. Praise Him for He is risen!

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I Fell In Love With A Muslim Man. His Vibes Were Nothing Like I've Seen.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Release Notes for 7/23/2014

[UI]

- safezonex's min value can now go as low as 0.28 with triple monitor setups and will allow a min value of 0.475 with double monitor setups.

- Added convar sv_server_graphic which allows the server to specify a 360x60 px image file (must be 16k or smaller) in /csgo/ that will display in the spectator view. Supports PNG transparency.

- when the scoreboard is up, the radar will now switch to the square "overview" mode (disable with cl_radar_square_with_scoreboard, or in the Game Settings menu).

[MISC]

- Fixed a crash on round end/restart or player spawn if a player was parented to another entity that was cleaned up.

- Increased session communication buffer size to allow for up to 64-player sessions.

- Added experimental cpu_frequency_monitoring convar to detect thermal throttling. If you have CS:GO performance problems on Windows, add "+cpu_frequency_monitoring 2" to the CS:GO command line to see if CPU thermal throttling is an issue. If the displayed CPU frequency percentage drops below about 80-85% then you may have a problem with your CPU slowing down due to overheating. If it drops below 50-55% then you may have a serious problem. CPU overheating can be caused by overclocking, insufficient cooling, insufficient airflow, failing or dirty fans, or other causes. The CPU frequency results are displayed with cl_showfps or net_graph. For more detail see https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2715-YIPD-6873

- Added engine_no_focus_sleep convar (default value 50 milliseconds), which controls the amount of time the engine sleeps per frame when the game is not in focus.

- Fixed incorrect material property on some breakable doors and scaffold models

[SDK]

- Added a few more location "Place Names" for use by level designers

[CACHE]

- Added solidity to gates in b halls and ct garage to allow for nade creativity.

- Improved readability in B heaven.

- Improved readability by quad.

- Improved lighting by forklift.

- Improved prop-consistency by quad by adding more rigid edges.

- Increased visibility in vent.

- Fixed missing texture issues.

- Fixed various lighting issues.

- Fixed texture translation issues.

- Added clipping to prevent an exploit boost.

- Slightly increased vent lighting.

- Minor but important change to shadowing in some rooms.

[INSERTION]

- Added fences/fallen trees/cliffs around the map to reduce the ammount of invisible walls.

- Added a small window above the backdoor in the barn.

- Added a big rock next to "SeaRock".

- Minor gameplay tweaks.

- Optimized the villa (thanks to Glitchvid).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That spectator window change...is that kind of like adding custom HUD elements or poo poo to the viewer pane or something? Not quite sure wht that means.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

NTT posted:

That spectator window change...is that kind of like adding custom HUD elements or poo poo to the viewer pane or something? Not quite sure wht that means.

It's just a server graphic displayed on the scoreboard, like the clan logos or whatever in pub MOTDs

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja

Got a Breakout case tonight, opened it, and pulled out a Field Tested M4A1-S Cyrex :radcat: sellin' this poo poo for $40.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ProfessionalNinja posted:

Got a Breakout case tonight, opened it, and pulled out a Field Tested M4A1-S Cyrex :radcat: sellin' this poo poo for $40.

Definitely, especially since Field-Tested looks like poo poo!

Battle-Scarred M4A1 Boreal Forest though...poo poo is legit.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Necc0 posted:

- Added experimental cpu_frequency_monitoring convar to detect thermal throttling. If you have CS:GO performance problems on Windows, add "+cpu_frequency_monitoring 2" to the CS:GO command line to see if CPU thermal throttling is an issue. If the displayed CPU frequency percentage drops below about 80-85% then you may have a problem with your CPU slowing down due to overheating. If it drops below 50-55% then you may have a serious problem. CPU overheating can be caused by overclocking, insufficient cooling, insufficient airflow, failing or dirty fans, or other causes. The CPU frequency results are displayed with cl_showfps or net_graph. For more detail see https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2715-YIPD-6873

Why CS:GO would be CPU-bound is beyond me. Skyrim was a CPU-bound game because it had all sorts of AI going on, but the bot-like creatures running around in dust2 are 100% human controlled.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

augustob posted:

Why CS:GO would be CPU-bound is beyond me. Skyrim was a CPU-bound game because it had all sorts of AI going on, but the bot-like creatures running around in dust2 are 100% human controlled.

Source engine is horrific with optimization and netcode. Always has been. It is essentially one gigantic hack.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Salt Fish posted:

Poe's law

Xenaero posted:

Source engine is horrific with optimization and netcode. Always has been. It is essentially one gigantic hack.

lmao keep stocking shelves kid

augustob posted:

What other thing do you think would "bind" the performance of CS:GO?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Good job with the cache changes FMPOne

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

down with slavery posted:

What other thing do you think would "bind" the performance of CS:GO?

The GPU, like most other games.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_bound

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Thanks for the Wikipedia article there champ

Protip, open up the game and look around. It's not cryengine or unreal3. It's still very GPU bound it's just that modern desktop hardware(cpu and gpu for that matter) can overcome that pretty easily (not on mobile though, try playing CS on a laptop)- same goes for the CPU as well.

Counter-strike A. isn't CPU-bound in any sense of the word B. runs really well and people who bitch about performance just have pretty poor perspective

"Counter-strike is CPU bound" is one of those things I just see parroted by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 24, 2014

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

So it's both GPU and CPU bound? I think you need to go back to Wikipedia.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Thanks for the Wikipedia article there champ

Protip, open up the game and look around. It's not cryengine or unreal3. It's still very GPU bound it's just that modern desktop hardware(cpu and gpu for that matter) can overcome that pretty easily (not on mobile though, try playing CS on a laptop)- same goes for the CPU as well.

Counter-strike A. isn't CPU-bound in any sense of the word B. runs really well and people who bitch about performance just have pretty poor perspective

"Counter-strike is CPU bound" is one of those things I just see parroted by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

http://www.hltv.org/forum/460082-fps-in-csgo-cpu-vs-gpu

Valve has also come out several times saying that the CPU will be the bottleneck for any games on the source engine. Keep in mind that they put a massive effort into multi-threading the source engine back in the HL2 days rather than upgrading their rendering engine.

augustob posted:

Anyways I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is that their physics engine is still calculated on the CPU which is really really expensive computationally-wise. That and the measurements for player movement/actions is much more precise compared to other FPS games, also expensive.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 24, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Necc0 posted:

http://www.hltv.org/forum/460082-fps-in-csgo-cpu-vs-gpu

Valve has also come out several times saying that the CPU will be the bottleneck for any games on the source engine. Keep in mind that they put a massive effort into multi-threading the source engine back in the HL2 days rather than upgrading their rendering engine.

On older hardware, sure, you can't just drop in a new graphics card and go hog wild. But you can't do that with any modern game.

augustob posted:

So it's both GPU and CPU bound? I think you need to go back to Wikipedia.

No I'm saying that it's as GPU bound as any other game, it's just that it's not as graphically intensive as most other game engines these days.

Put it this way, you shouldn't be questioning "why is this game CPU bound" you should be asking "why do all other games require such a ridiculous graphics card?" to which the answer is obvious when you actually look at counter-strike (or any source engine game for that matter) and then look at them.

I haven't seen anything that suggest Source is somehow worse than anything else when it comes to game engine performance for FPS titles. Even in that HLTV post

quote:

To an I3-3220 3,3Ghz Geforce 660GTX

Everybody says CS:Go is CPU heavy ,but we rarely know anyting specific
So i was curious how much of the fps in CS:Go actually is the graphic card and how much is from the cpu.

With system 1 1680x1650 2xAA 2xAF everything else very low ,but player details medium.

56fps in public Death match with lots of players on very small map like shoots
65fps on Deatmtach with lots of players on bigger map like Dust2 or Train
70-125fps on normal
5v5 Dust 2 having 70-90fps on most 1v1 1v2 2v2 situations and 125fps when i am alone in B tunnels f.e

Now i first only changed the CPU

now with the i3 3220 and same Radeon card , same drivers , same ram everything and all settings the same.

I got

78fps on üublic Death match small map
87 fps on public deathmatch dust2/train
125-186 fps in 5o5 125-140 fps in most 1v1 1v2 2v2 duels and
186fps when i am alone in tunnels.

Firstly that isn't that much of an increase. Playable to more playable. Most people wouldn't notice. Also strange that he chose to run it with AA on, but shrug

quote:

Now compare this with Crysis 2 everything on lowest.
Got 24-41 fps mostly 31fps on old system
get 24fps-41fps now on i3 3220.

Great, so it basically runs like poo poo no matter what you do. Awesome.

Necc0 posted:

Anyways I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is that their physics engine is still calculated on the CPU which is really really expensive computationally-wise. That and the measurements for player movement/actions is much more precise compared to other FPS games, also expensive.

no no no no no aren't you a computer science major...? mindless spitballing like this is how these stupid rumors get started. I eagerly await the next relevant google result you find for "counter-strike fps cpu"

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 24, 2014

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Explain why changing graphics settings doesn't improve fps for me.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

no no no no no aren't you a computer science major...? mindless spitballing like this is how these stupid rumors get started. I eagerly await the next relevant google result you find for "counter-strike fps cpu"
:shrug: They built the foundation over a decade ago and I've seen no evidence that they've switched their physics rendering over. Also no one is saying that the source engine is better or worse it's just that they put much more emphasis on things that require CPU processing, resulting in the game being much more sensitive to CPU performance rather than GPU.

Which is why they're adding console commands to monitor the CPU. Which is why we're talking about this. (???)

Have you not read any of their synopsis on those hardware surveys they do? There's a reason for all of this.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

SinineSiil posted:

Explain why changing graphics settings doesn't improve fps for me.

Because performance is being limited by your CPU. If your CPU is pegged at 100% and you lower your graphical settings, all you're doing is alleviating the load on the GPU. So instead of (for example) 100/70 CPU/GPU load, you end up with 100/50, and no higher FPS.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Necc0 posted:

:shrug: They built the foundation over a decade ago and I've seen no evidence that they've switched their physics rendering over. Also no one is saying that the source engine is better or worse it's just that they put much more emphasis on things that require CPU processing, resulting in the game being much more sensitive to CPU performance rather than GPU.

Again, you still have not substantiated that the source engine is "much more sensitive to CPU performance rather than GPU" in any sense of the word. All you've shown is that Counter-strike does not require a state of the art graphics card to run well. Which is the same of any source engine game. Which has nothing to do with the physics being computed on the CPU versus the GPU (lol if you think that would matter in a game like CS) and everything to do with the fact that Source is simply less demanding of the GPU than other engines. And the results show.

quote:

Which is why they're adding console commands to monitor the CPU. Which is why we're talking about this. (???)

No we're talking about it because someone is going "why is CS CPU-bound when every other game is GPU-bound" when that's just some bullshit they read off of a steam forums post and have literally no idea what they are talking about. Why you decided to do a quick google and dump some poo poo forum post here as "evidence" to support him is beyond me.

Again, Source engine is not any more CPU intensive than any other game Engine. Counter-Strike is as GPU bound as any other game and the lower GPU requirements have nothing to do with the physics engine.

"I see no evidence the rendering engine switched over" lmao are you loving kidding me? What would constitute evidence to you Necco, Counter-strike OP and apparent game physics engine expert. What does "switching the rendering engine" even mean in this context? I thought we were talking about physics?

edit. And honestly, if the best support you can come up with when you're trying to comment on the technical aspects of a 10 year old game engine that's had tens of thousands of experts pour over it's codebase is a HLTV.org forums post written by a barely literate teenager you're probably on the wrong side of this one

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
lmao I didn't want to surrender so my team kicked me, I get handed a 24 hour ban.

• Locked thread