Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gonkish posted:

Honestly, all the sniper rifle rewards are underwhelming. I mean, how much can they possibly do with a loving sniper rifle? Not really much to be done there, it's a prestige thing.

Anime-level blood fountain for headshot targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

sitchelin posted:

Guys, air vulcan. AIR VULCAN! No tank is going to survive that poo poo.

Aircraft getting close to tanks is a pretty stupid idea a lot of the time. Air enforcer/saron for long range accurate sniping is unequivocally a more appealing idea than flying up close and hoping you get a kill before some anchored AP prowler pulverizes you. An air vulcan would be just as mediocre as a ground vulcan for the same reasons. Gotta endanger yourself for marginal benefit to the tune of it not being at all worth it.

VideoGameReference
Jun 18, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Honestly, all the sniper rifle rewards are underwhelming. I mean, how much can they possibly do with a loving sniper rifle? Not really much to be done there, it's a prestige thing.

I can think of a bunch. Put a 6x scope on a Lancer for anti-materiel work or throw a 6x on a Ghost. Hell, variable-magnification scope. 0.75x ADS sniper rifle, or fast scope/unscope for juking/countersniping.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Aren't we kind of presuming the Valkyrie will be durable enough to use these amazing weapons without being extremely careful or having clear skies? Awesome weapons may not do it much good if it explodes when something looks at it funny.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

Aren't we kind of presuming the Valkyrie will be durable enough to use these amazing weapons without being extremely careful or having clear skies? Awesome weapons may not do it much good if it explodes when something looks at it funny.

It looked like it was about 3 standard dumbfires to take one out, two dumbfires had it smoking on Higby's stream.

MohawkSatan posted:

I look forward to it for some 'Nam action. Also Phoenix gunners.

Airborne Strikers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nakar posted:

Higby showed them off. They basically have 2-3x the health that an ESF does (two stock launchers made them smoke). So while it's not Liberator tough it's decently beefy for an aircraft, especially if they don't have to get as close as ESFs due to having a gunner/pilot combo for better accuracy.

Mostly I wonder how well the dudes hitching a ride in the back will fare, especially against flak AOE. That being said, I can see comedy GOKU Valkyrie squads flying in to take points and provide CAS just because.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
All the talk on passenger flak makes me think they're going to put one way shields on the passenger slots or make them outright immune while onboard because nanites.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Higby showed them off. They basically have 2-3x the health that an ESF does (two stock launchers made them smoke). So while it's not Liberator tough it's decently beefy for an aircraft, especially if they don't have to get as close as ESFs due to having a gunner/pilot combo for better accuracy.

Mostly I wonder how well the dudes hitching a ride in the back will fare, especially against flak AOE. That being said, I can see comedy GOKU Valkyrie squads flying in to take points and provide CAS just because.

Two stock rockets sets a Lib on fire. Do you mean two lock-ons set a Valkyrie to smoke, or black smoke?

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 24, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Lassitude posted:

Aircraft getting close to tanks is a pretty stupid idea a lot of the time. Air enforcer/saron for long range accurate sniping is unequivocally a more appealing idea than flying up close and hoping you get a kill before some anchored AP prowler pulverizes you. An air vulcan would be just as mediocre as a ground vulcan for the same reasons. Gotta endanger yourself for marginal benefit to the tune of it not being at all worth it.

Yeah, the thing is we don't know what the falloff will be in the long run. If it's close like the Vulcan it may be suicidal. If it's further out, though, it could be fun.

I can also see the potential for some Valk-based Lancer shenanigans if it's maneuverable enough. Munitions Pouch would probably be required, though.

Also, CML-ing with a Gal might not even be needed anymore. Just pull a Valk, load it with 4 engis, fly over the thing, dump a bunch of mines off the sides, and then have the gunner pop them. Boom goes the sundie.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 24, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ok what the gently caress, the Station launchpad shows up but when I try to launch the game it just disappears after a few seconds and nothing launches. It was working fine yesterday, and now I can't play it? Ok guess it's back to Warframe, great.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Two stock rockets sets a Lib on fire. Do you mean two lock-ons set a Valkyrie to smoke, or black smoke?

I didn't see it myself (going off reports I heard others say) but Higby was using stock rockets. Not sure if it merely "damaged" or "fire in the engine", but I suspect the latter.

I didn't realize Liberators had so little armor, I thought they were chunkier than that. I guess it's because there's not really many occasions to nail them with dumbfires. Still, I'm guessing the Valkyrie probably won't have the Liberator's complete immunity to small arms (which is probably why I thought Libs were so chunky).

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Dreadwroth posted:

Ok what the gently caress, the Station launchpad shows up but when I try to launch the game it just disappears after a few seconds and nothing launches. It was working fine yesterday, and now I can't play it? Ok guess it's back to Warframe, great.

Are you on the steam client beta channel? After the beta update earlier today (which updates the overlay web-browser to a much newer version) pside started crashing on launch. I reverted back to the standard steam client and everything works fine again.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Does SOE have any plans for breaking up this deathball zerg meta? It is so tiresome to log on and see that the only opposition is an unthinking wall of at least 150 dudes who can't aim for poo poo, and that the other faction is ghost capping indar/esamir.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My understanding is that's the end goal of the resource/power drain mechanic. Prevent players from pulling huge columns of armor all at once, prevent fights from stagnating.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gonkish posted:

If they do: AIR AV MANA TURRET. There's literally a loving AV turret ON A loving PLANE. If you think people bitch about the AV turret now, wait until it's on a loving plane and you can't snipe the fucker using the god damned thing!

I think it'll be a complete non-issue. You can actually shoot back at something that big.

Right now it looks like the Valkyrie is a bit less durable than the Liberator.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
All this talk of shooting ground targets with the Valkyrie, how's the Valkyrie gonna stand up to tank fire, how close does it have to fly to tanks, how useful are passengers going to be while shooting dumbfires at vehicles. You people are disappointing.

Your passengers should be G2A-equipped heavies making GBS threads on ESFs, and you should be using the guided missile to knock Liberators down. The "anti-air" Liberator is going to have nothing on this monster.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sard posted:

Your passengers should be G2A-equipped heavies making GBS threads on ESFs, and you should be using the guided missile to knock Liberators down. The "anti-air" Liberator is going to have nothing on this monster.

Alternatively: a pair of Burster MAXes.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Sard posted:

All this talk of shooting ground targets with the Valkyrie, how's the Valkyrie gonna stand up to tank fire, how close does it have to fly to tanks, how useful are passengers going to be while shooting dumbfires at vehicles. You people are disappointing.

I think people here are hedging to look for an angle so they can start complaining about TR. Realistically the valkyrie isn't going to stand up to tanks or libs or ESFs. Whatever niche they're aiming for, they're going to miss it if this is the best they've got. Passengers are going to be dead weight if people start expecting them to shoot their guns out of a moving air vehicle with a limited arc and expect them to get kills. And any air vehicle which hovers in anything like unfriendly area where skyguards or MBTs are around will get tore up with a quickness.

I was hoping the valkyrie would be showcasing some really nimble hover mechanics to allow it to jink and weave like a pro, with some exciting utilities to make sticking close to the action a valuable asset. But making it compete directly with liberators as the "is a flying vehicle whose only job is killing ground targets" is a pretty big loser of a proposition. One of those two vehicles becomes redundant at that point. The "transports infantry" role is a joke only spergs take seriously.

ndub posted:

Does SOE have any plans for breaking up this deathball zerg meta? It is so tiresome to log on and see that the only opposition is an unthinking wall of at least 150 dudes who can't aim for poo poo, and that the other faction is ghost capping indar/esamir.

The way resources will eventually work is that the more people are present in a given facility the more drain they put on that facility's power supply. The warpgate will provide passive power generation, but if the facility is cut off then its power will drain more rapidly. The facility will be able to use sunderers/etc carrying power from depots scattered around the continent to resupply the power at facilities, however.

In short, though, a zerg which doesn't fight to prevent its lane from being cut off from the warpgate and which can't exert any map control to get resupply vehicles from fuel depots to their contested bases in their lane will find their personal resource gain dwindles to minimal levels. Which means the zerg will become a force without any significant vehicle support, without any real MAX support, and with diminished use of stuff like C4 and grenades. In other words, the zerg which cares not for logistics will find themselves basically unable to mount any serious offensives for want of resources.

Sard posted:

Competent ESF pilots will no doubt snipe door gunners out of valkyries the minute they see one with its side aimed toward them and a lock-on warning. There is nothing at all for gunners to do in the valkyrie if their only weapons will be what they normally have on foot. Shooting dumbfire rocket launchers or whatever from the air is not competitive compared to bulldogs or lib guns. They'll never hit anything and it'll be a huge waste of manpower.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 24, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I saw the crazy rear end fix for the client crash, I thought I understood how computers worked but this is some insane weirdness. I love how as soon as I killed a dude on the VS side, I was instantly teamkilled by a homie. Yep this is totally Planetside 2.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

o muerte posted:

Are you on the steam client beta channel? After the beta update earlier today (which updates the overlay web-browser to a much newer version) pside started crashing on launch. I reverted back to the standard steam client and everything works fine again.

If you update steam again, they fixed the bug in the latest version.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Maybe passengers can fix it really fast like they could in the scout chopper.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Airhammer is going to be really good at killing crew inside of the Valkyrie before killing the aircraft itself

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Everything you wanted to know about all the Directive weapons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-XR49-fYAuqfCSzNe30IZExoiUTy8cSyIVeNrC04ODU/edit#gid=399291316

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Co-developed with Genudine's Offense Development team, the NC6A GODSAW

loving lol, guess GODSAW isn't just a placeholder and is now officially canon

I love you right now Higby

Also those Auraxium Sniper Rifles just utterly blow the Railjack out of the water lol

edit - hahahaha holy poo poo. The Tempest looks like it's going to be a Cyclone w/ HVA, exmags, and a special barrel that improves ADS accuracy at the cost of more vertical recoil (as it stands SMGs do not get more accurate when ADSing).

It's going to go from "the Cyclone is our best CQC carbine haha" to "the Tempest is our best close range carbine, period. (also it's available to all classes)

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 24, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Huh, SMGS with HVA. Battle rifles with ULTRA-HVA. "Smart chokes" for shotguns. UBshotguns for carbines. Definitely looks interesting.

And of course the silly "Shotgun with an UBshotgun" for the NC which...honestly sounds both silly and cool.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Alkydere posted:

Huh, SMGS with HVA. Battle rifles with ULTRA-HVA. "Smart chokes" for shotguns. UBshotguns for carbines. Definitely looks interesting.

And of course the silly "Shotgun with an UBshotgun" for the NC which...honestly sounds both silly and cool.

The battle rifles sound like fun, but I don't even have a single one unlocked

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's only one battle rifle. So do you aurax it and then get the auraxium variant?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

There's only one battle rifle. So do you aurax it and then get the auraxium variant?

I guess? Looks like I might have to learn how to actually use mine than.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

They might be lumping the Scout Rifles in there as well, maybe?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I revisited the GR22 in preparation for the directives poo poo, and I don't know if I can suddenly get headshots better or something, but I'm doing really well with it; I'm alternating between Tross and GR22 to keep it fresh and I actually have more fun with the GR22 (although that may be because I honestly can't see dick-all of a difference between the Reaper and the Tross besides the burst ADS ~30-40m). This is the gun that made me quit out of frustration last year because I thought stock guns were bad and the GR22 was my first purchase.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Carteret posted:

They might be lumping the Scout Rifles in there as well, maybe?

"Genudine's heavily modified Guardian rifle was initially designed for long-range support for Heavy Assault soldiers ambushing from on high or in cover. Deadly from even long distances, the accurate Guardian can drop targets from afar with ammo to spare."

"Affectionately dubbed The 'Rax by its marksmen users, the Terran Republic's Auraxium-66 has well earned its reputation as a long-range support rifle."

"A favorite of Vanu anti-vehicle support soldiers, the unique Revenant long-range battle rifle is excellent at dropping enemies that have bailed to escape their doomed vehicle following a coordinated Lancer strike."

Since two out of the three mention Heavys/anti vehicle soldiers I kinda doubt that. Also, the Infil variants are classified "scout rifles", not "battle rifles" despite the semi-auto SR being just a renamed BR last I checked. But then again...SOE.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Alkydere posted:

Alternatively: a pair of Burster MAXes.

Have they confirmed MAXes can ride the Valkyrie yet? I had my doubts but after seeing how huge it is it looks like it could easily fit two maxes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Have they confirmed MAXes can ride the Valkyrie yet? I had my doubts but after seeing how huge it is it looks like it could easily fit two maxes.

Well, if a MAX can fit in the bucket seat of a Harrasser or Flash, I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to sit in the bay seats of a Valkyrie. Also, can you imagine the screaming and frothing rage an air autist would go through the first time they were shot down by bursters or lock-ons from a Valkyrie bay? :getin:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Anyone know what the sunderer directives will be? Is it just going to be deploy stuff or will there be fun things like road kills and gunner kills? I want a road kill one that gives my sunderer a bulldozer blade cosmetic or a gunner kills one that gives me some special weapons for my gunners to use. Or horns. Lots of horns.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Higby stated quite explicitly on the stream that they wouldn't be able to carry MAXes

alarumklok posted:

I revisited the GR22 in preparation for the directives poo poo, and I don't know if I can suddenly get headshots better or something, but I'm doing really well with it; I'm alternating between Tross and GR22 to keep it fresh and I actually have more fun with the GR22 (although that may be because I honestly can't see dick-all of a difference between the Reaper and the Tross besides the burst ADS ~30-40m). This is the gun that made me quit out of frustration last year because I thought stock guns were bad and the GR22 was my first purchase.

It's a serviceable gun, even moreso if you can land headshots. I've got an M rating with it for headshots, it's certainly capable.

The real thing that drives me nuts about the GR-22 tho is the horrible DPM combined with a long rear end reload, and also it's a peashooter. I didn't go NC to use herky jerky spitball guns with big downtime issues :colbert:

Also it's significantly worse than the Carnage in every single way except it's got ~100 dps on it. Not a good equation considering the Carnage has similar dps to the Cyclone

You'll very likely be BEYOND ready for a change when you get near auraxing it.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Honestly, I think the TR ultra-special pistol should have been called the Dictator instead of the President. Seems more in-theme.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

GR-22 shoots fast as hell and gets an Adv Laser Sight. Welcome to TR mode where you point the gun near the head hold trigger and profit.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

BadLlama posted:

GR-22 shoots fast as hell and gets an Adv Laser Sight. Welcome to TR mode where you point the gun near the head hold trigger and profit.

Carnage does this with less damage falloff, and .75x ADS.

Also since it needs to be clearer: NO MAXES IN THE VALKYRIE

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any sweet ops on the ZFreedom side tonight? EDIT: Hoooly poo poo there are like 5 people on the freedom mumble right now, where is everyone?

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Dreadwroth posted:

Any sweet ops on the ZFreedom side tonight? EDIT: Hoooly poo poo there are like 5 people on the freedom mumble right now, where is everyone?

In bed is my guess. What is this zfreedom stuff?

• Locked thread