Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/948882104/new-star-trek-series

This keeps coming up in my local Kickstarter list.

quote:

Looking for investors to help me create a new Star Trek series, with the potential to be used in T.V. or Film.

My goal will be to write a new type of Star Trek series I believe no one has written before. The concept came to me after the TNG movies came to an end. There was a feeling of incompleteness to it. Rather than look to a story line after TNG I began to look for one early in the Star Trek history.
and just look at those rewards

quote:

Pledge $25 or more

A teaser from the novel
Estimated delivery: Mar 2015

Pledge $1,000 or more

your name in the book
Estimated delivery: Mar 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Mirificus posted:

West Games has posted an official statement regarding the suspension of their Areal Kickstarter campaign to Areal's Facebook page. They've resorted to asking for donations directly.

The part about the donations after the vice article is a lie. The kicktraq shows only a few donations, yet it gained 20k, a stark contrast to the start of the project.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mirificus posted:

Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express and Knuckle Club fame/infamy is apparently a squatter. Not a cyber-squatter but a literal squatter.

Squatter in Palm Springs also accused of duping online gamers

Airbnb Host: A Guest Is Squatting In My Condo And I Can't Get Him To Leave

Edit: fixed typos

The lady that rented to this guy is pretty much Airbnb's ideal sucker too.

quote:

On day one, after the guest checked in, he called her and complained about two odd things, Tschogl says. He didn't like the tap water (complained it was cloudy) and he didn't like the gated entry to the condo complex. He asked for a full refund, according to Tschogl. She had a bad gut feeling about him, she says, so she agreed to a refund.
After a number of antagonistic texts with the guest, Tschogl says she decided that perhaps the best course of action would be just to let him stay for the duration of his reservation.

"gently caress it he can just stay" is that woman being really stupid. The best course of action is to call the cops and get the guy hauled out on to the loving street, not let him stick around for a month or more rent-free. I feel bad for her but she basically procrastinated and its now biting her on the rear end. Well, that and her never bothering to familiarize herself with relevant state laws. :wtc:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
It's at least her house right? She's not one of those idiots subletting their apartment and hoping their landlord won't notice, so she's got that going for her!

quote:

DEAR PRESIDENT OF WEST GAMES,

My daughter told me about your game called Areal, which is the spiritual successor to STALKER, and told me that she payed money to support your project on Kickstarter. I also love video games as well as shooters, and I like this idea. It's important that our people do not shoot at each other, but instead, play games like this.

The first part of STALKER took place in Ukraine, and in the second game Areal, you put all events in the center of Russia – and if this is a war with mutants in a video game, then that is very interesting. I attentively familiarized myself with your idea and I really like it.

If you give me the chance to play the alpha version of the game, when it is ready, then I invite you in advance to the Kremlin, to meet personally, be ready to play a little bit and talk about the interests of young people, the gamers of our country.

SINCERELY,
VLADIMIR PUTIN

I dunno what the hell Areal is, but that's hilarious

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Those AMAZING BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEANS.

I think what happened here is that an old southern lady didn't realize that people were just ironically donating to the potato salad thing and decided kickstarter was the place to find people excited about food. She seems like she genuinely wants to start an AMAZING BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEANS company, despite having a kickstarter that's clearly a copy of the potato salad.

Bacon wrapped greenbeans sounded pretty good until I saw the picture. Are they being fried mor actually just poached in oil?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Finally something work Kickstarting

I present

The Forever Bible: A Bible that Literally Walks on Water.

An indestructible bible!

The goal is 30,000

Currently it is at 8,271

tbh that's not the worst thing ever because i used to know people who did missionary work and they were deece people and a tough bible would probably be cool while they're doing work in africa

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It'd be cooler if they were doing it for more than just the bible, like classroom textbooks and whatnot.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
eh, if it takes off they could always branch out

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

SSJ Reeko posted:

At least I get the idea with this one and can see some use for an ultra-durable book that people take everywhere. 40 bucks seems like a bit much to even get a copy though. It's not even fireproof.

Hey but maybe one of the reward levels could be a copy of Fireproof.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Tracula posted:

It'd be cooler if they were doing it for more than just the bible, like classroom textbooks and whatnot.

In geology classes you have waterproof notebooks for use in the field. They aren't poly though. We used Rite-in-the-Rain, expensive by notebook standards, but its like $5 for a full field class.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Yeah this is honestly a pretty good idea and the Bible is a book that's worth starting off with if only because it has a fanatical fanbase with a desire to make sure it stays in excellent shape. Later on they can move onto text books, certain collectors books, ext.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

MrAptronym posted:

Those AMAZING BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEANS.

I think what happened here is that an old southern lady didn't realize that people were just ironically donating to the potato salad thing and decided kickstarter was the place to find people excited about food. She seems like she genuinely wants to start an AMAZING BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEANS company, despite having a kickstarter that's clearly a copy of the potato salad.

I know you want to believe people were donating "ironically" as a joke, but for every one guy who pitched in :10bux: for fun, there were probably two or three completely serious :20bux: donations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

I know you want to believe people were donating "ironically" as a joke, but for every one guy who pitched in :10bux: for fun, there were probably two or three completely serious :20bux: donations.

What else is there to the potato salad kickstarter other then irony, though?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

What else is there to the potato salad kickstarter other then irony, though?

They want to be part of something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

"gently caress it he can just stay" is that woman being really stupid. The best course of action is to call the cops and get the guy hauled out on to the loving street,

That is literally illegal, because of her agreeing to a term longer than 30 days to start with. Rental law is a real thing.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Excels posted:

They want to be part of something.

drat, well that's the most depressing thing I have heard all day.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pathetic little tramp posted:

I dunno what the hell Areal is, but that's hilarious

It just keeps getting better

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Palmersaurus posted:

It just keeps getting better

I remember when people were like "Well we don't know if they're a scam." or "They might have been contracted developers" but no, outright scam. At least they picked an appropriately goony looking stock image guy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Evil Fluffy posted:

The lady that rented to this guy is pretty much Airbnb's ideal sucker too.

"gently caress it he can just stay" is that woman being really stupid. The best course of action is to call the cops and get the guy hauled out on to the loving street, not let him stick around for a month or more rent-free. I feel bad for her but she basically procrastinated and its now biting her on the rear end. Well, that and her never bothering to familiarize herself with relevant state laws. :wtc:
He really doesn't seem to like paying rent. In October 2012, he filed a small claim against his landlord in San Francisco for $10,000:

Maksym Pashanin v. David Tamboury

Maksym Pashanin posted:

The nature of the complaint is towards and under nuisance [Civil Code 3479]. The defendant caused nuisance by ongoing construction in plaintiff's backyard

Maksym Pashanin posted:

Nuisance, breach of covenant, of quiet enjoyment & breach of contract (lease agreement)

The case resulted in the following settlement:

quote:

Plaintiff's January 2013 Rent Will Be Paid By Security Deposit Held By Defendant. Parties Agree That Plaintiff Will Not Be Responsible For Damages Upon Move-out If Less Than $250; Plaintiff Responsible Only For Damages In Excess Of $250.00"

It's definitely the same Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express. Their listed address in the small claims continue order is the same as Kilobite's Florida offices.

Florida Department of State - Division of Corporations - KILOBITE, INC.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

GEEZ PEOPLE LEARN TO USE CAPS LOCK WHEN NECESSARY.

THANKS! IT'S SO MUCH EASIER NOW.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have an irrational hatred of stupid unnecessary tech bullshit, so I haven't really done my due diligence about the likelihood of this being a scam, but here is Sense, which is...an alarm clock? Correction, a "smart" alarm clock. It's like the Pebble or Nest but somehow less necessary.

Also,

quote:

Particulate Sensor can spot the tiniest of things floating around in the air, so tiny you can't even see most of them. But they are there, and they are potential sleep interruptors for many; more than 50 million people suffer from nasal allergies. If the pollen count is high in your neighborhood and Sense detects a rising level of microscopic particles in your bedroom, you should know.

A thermostat and a photosensor, sure, but how accurate could this possibly be in a $100 egg shaped thing?

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I have an irrational hatred of stupid unnecessary tech bullshit, so I haven't really done my due diligence about the likelihood of this being a scam, but here is Sense, which is...an alarm clock? Correction, a "smart" alarm clock. It's like the Pebble or Nest but somehow less necessary.

Also,

A thermostat and a photosensor, sure, but how accurate could this possibly be in a $100 egg shaped thing?

Particulate matter sensors are pretty simple and cheap. Its a gimmick but its there. It wouldn't be able to tell you what is in the air, but it can tell you if there is stuff.What I am not convinced on is waking you up based on your sleep schedule.

That seems to be a pretty in style gimmick right now, but I still am, not convinced it can work well, not to the 15 minute intervals they use as examples. People vary in their sleep; I don't know if the science is in. Can their algorithms and an accelerometer actually properly plan your sleep?

I don't know, and frankly I don't care. I have a $10 alarm clock and it works fine. I can spend the extra $120 on poo poo I will use while awake. Love these rewards though, for $50 you get a T-shirt and poster of the thing you do not get, and you get "Your name engraved in our website's HTML" This probably isn't a scam though as all the rewards and product components are so low cost; its just another useless tech toy.

EDIT: Geeze, 3 people donated $5,000 so they could visit the factory and hand assemble one. I hope those are fakes that will be pulled before launch.

MrAptronym has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Jul 24, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrAptronym posted:

EDIT: Geeze, 3 people donated $5,000 so they could visit the factory and hand assemble one. I hope those are fakes that will be pulled before launch.

i never understood this because the nice thing about living in the first world is i don't even have to pretend that i'm self sufficient. buying plane tickets to visit a seedy warehouse so i can put together a piece of plastic sounds awful

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Also,

So if there's pollen in the air, it will wake you from your sleep to tell you there's pollen in the air? How incredibly useful.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Reading the local Kickstarters seems like a great way to be depressed about where you live.

So, why was Zorak's Kickstarter not allowed again? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/921748290/i-want-to-make-a-ham-sandwich?ref=city

I've read a few bad pitches before, but this one takes the cake. It has to be a joke, right?

Right?

Risks and challenges posted:

TOP SECRET - Security clearance required = Q7

Antitonic has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jul 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Antitonic posted:

I've read a few bad pitches before, but this one takes the cake. It has to be a joke, right?

Right?

If you're wondering how such a lovely low effort scammy kickstarter could have such a good photo it's because he stole it from this website.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Antitonic posted:

Reading the local Kickstarters seems like a great way to be depressed about where you live.

So, why was Zorak's Kickstarter not allowed again? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/921748290/i-want-to-make-a-ham-sandwich?ref=city

Right?

'Greetings, friend. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now! So, use it and pledge $1000 AUD to my kickstarter today! Don't delay, happiness is just an Amazeball away!'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'Greetings, friend. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now! So, use it and pledge $1000 AUD to my kickstarter today! Don't delay, happiness is just an Amazeball away!'

If I want to put my hand in my pocket and make myself happy by fondling balls, I can do it for free.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Antitonic posted:

Right?

I too am very happy every time I get hit in the face with balls.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if you use the word "amazeballs" unironically please stop existing tia

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

If I want to put my hand in my pocket and make myself happy by fondling balls, I can do it for free.

Pocket ... nutz? Trucknutz for your pants!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Spider-Man The Musical: The Musical! Definitely not too late to jump on that bandwagon.

Steampunk animals! Never too late to jump on THAT bandwagon.

An American replica of the Great Pyramid! Because that's totally what people have always wanted.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol they live in a place called Hickman, Kentucky

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So if there's pollen in the air, it will wake you from your sleep to tell you there's pollen in the air? How incredibly useful.

Every air purifier has one of those sensors, so it should be revving up to super saiyan when pollen levels go up; no need to wake me, alarm clock, the other machine will do its job.

It is funny the first few times someone triggers the air purifier hyperdrive by farting, until it occurs to you that the machine is detecting particulates and then :gonk:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

But what if you can't do that?

This man dreams big - he dreams of a world where everybody will be able to fondle some balls. And even if someone has already got balls to fondle, you'll be able to fondle someone else balls as well :gay:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

WickedHate posted:

An American replica of the Great Pyramid! Because that's totally what people have always wanted.

My favorite part:

Risks and challenges posted:

The location that has been secured for the building of the pyramid may need the be moved. Estimates show that the bed rock is only 150 feet down. If its more than that it will be to our financial benefit to find a location in the same general area that would be more suited for the project. we will not know this exact depth until funds are in place and we can have test run.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nintendo Kid posted:

That is literally illegal, because of her agreeing to a term longer than 30 days to start with. Rental law is a real thing.

You're telling me California law prohibits a person from accepting a refund on the condition that they vacate the premises? Because that's pretty standard wording in apartment rentals pretty much everywhere I've lived (which is outside of California) and while this woman is completely inept in all this, having someone sign an agreement stating "I'm accepting a refund and must vacate within X days" wouldn't be any different than if the refund and move out period was baked in to the original contract.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
From YKS, this got overlooked here but

StackUp, the easy to use stand for preformed potato chips.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/150455089/stackup-the-easy-to-use-stand-for-preformed-potato

It's by the Dutch though, so I don't know if this is art or not

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

From YKS, this got overlooked here but

StackUp, the easy to use stand for preformed potato chips.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/150455089/stackup-the-easy-to-use-stand-for-preformed-potato

It's by the Dutch though, so I don't know if this is art or not

I wonder what will happen when they'll find out that Pringles shape/packaging is patented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

eithedog posted:

I wonder what will happen when they'll find out that Pringles shape/packaging is patented.

point to the dutch part and either say "see we couldn't have known about your silly american law" or "its art"