Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yep I used advanced controls. I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong for preferring Wii controls over GameCube controls. The GameCube controls felt great to me in 2002 and they still feel great to me 12 years later.

I wish the Wii controls clicked with me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

That's crazy talk. Prime Trilogy with wiimote controls is the greatest.

I didn't like the fact that your movement, which was perfectly bound to a single stick before, was now split by strafing on a stick and aiming with my arm. It just seemed slower. :shrug:

I'll admit I did not give it much of a try, because by that point when I tried it I paid $20 for the Trilogy collection, knew I could sell it for nearly $100, and felt like I liked the $5 original GameCube game better.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fremry posted:

This week's eShop update:

There's a thread where PaletteSwappedNinja posts these:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750

It's a neat thread to follow if you're in Europe because NoE seems to posts what their eShop update is gonna be on like Monday instead of Thursday

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I looked this up out of curiosity and you have made me quite happy now. I've been dying to play a (preferably newish) Wario platformer and I think I always assumed that was something completely different and gimmicky/pointless. I'll have to track it down now. I've always been on the Wario wagon but aside from the first Wii Warioware game I haven't played a single game of his.

It has a nice difficulty curve, and is relatively short - and very pretty. The gimmicky-ness is kept to a minimum, too. I think there are a few on eBay, sealed, for under $10.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I didn't like the fact that your movement, which was perfectly bound to a single stick before, was now split by strafing on a stick and aiming with my arm. It just seemed slower.

I think this is what I don't like. I hate having to move the reticle to the side of the screen to turn. Time Splitters does that too. I'll never understand why.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wildtortilla posted:

I think this is what I don't like. I hate having to move the reticle to the side of the screen to turn. Time Splitters does that too. I'll never understand why.

You know how people keep mentioning advanced controls? When I played Metroid Prime (and Modern Warfare for that matter) virtually any movement made the view/aim move. Get that deadzone nice and small.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Flint_Paper posted:

Yeah, Sonic Generations was lovely. After only playing the Megadrive stuff, I genuinely enjoued the new versions of the levels. Plus, the re-done music for Chemical Plant Zone was incredible. God the money I'd spend on a good DLC pack for that game.

If you have it on PC, then boy do I have news for you!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

People say to use advanced for Metroid Prime but I found it waaaaay too sensitive. I had to change it to normal. :(

I guess I suck at the Wii-mote.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flint_Paper posted:

Yeah, Sonic Generations was lovely. After only playing the Megadrive stuff, I genuinely enjoued the new versions of the levels. Plus, the re-done music for Chemical Plant Zone was incredible. God the money I'd spend on a good DLC pack for that game.

Just so you're aware; If you want to get some older games from the N64, SNES, Megadrive, etc, get yourself a Wiimote and a classic controller pro (not the WiiU Pro Controller) and go to the Wii mode. You can access the Wii Shop Channel and get access to a much larger range of Virtual Console games than is currently on the WiiU eShop.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Just reminding everyone Lost World was an awesome game that finally nailed the 2d to 3d conversion of Sonic and I want a sequel really bad.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If you buy this Skylanders game on the Wii, you get a code to download it for free on the Wii U.

http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Trap-Team-Starter-Pack-Nintendo/dp/B00JJ0QPOM

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

horriblePencilist posted:

Just reminding everyone Lost World was an awesome game that finally nailed the 2d to 3d conversion of Sonic and I want a sequel really bad.

Hahahahaha. Oh Pencilist, you're such a kidder. :v:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Any good deals/ coupons for MK8 out right now? Definitely want to grab it before the game download deal ends.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Amazon has it for $48 right now which is probably the lowest you'll get. $48 for 2 games is a drat good deal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gameplay of Hyrule Warriors, Ruto on the Skyward Sword stage

Unsure if it was posted in this thread but here's the New Trailer for the game featuring all the recently revealed cast members as well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same too.
But RAD... I thought it's a complete unknown.
We localized it on a shoestring budget (using rank amateurs as voice actors), and they only made around a 100,000 copies with no advertising support.
It's a miracle that people quote it every so often.

Wow, holy poo poo I loved RAD thank you for localizing it. So the voice acting talent were actually real voice actors? I've heard for years that they were largely from workplace instructional videos and took that as legit because good lord that doctor guy explaining Volgara and GRANDMAAAAAAAA certainly lend credence to it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shyfted One posted:

That's crazy talk. Prime Trilogy with wiimote controls is the greatest. I have no idea how you could play without it set on advanced though. Non-advanced is loving terrible.

Prime on Wii to me feels like how an FPS would feel if I tried to play it while holding my mouse in the air. All FPS on Wii to me felt like that honestly.

And I'm honestly expecting the star fox game to be a crushing disappointment, that way if it winds up being awesome I'll be happily surprised.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Chieves posted:

Any good deals/ coupons for MK8 out right now? Definitely want to grab it before the game download deal ends.
You could use the Target pre-order deal where you buy a pre-order card for $1 then get $15 off MK8.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gameplay of Hyrule Warriors, Ruto on the Skyward Sword stage

Unsure if it was posted in this thread but here's the New Trailer for the game featuring all the recently revealed cast members as well.

Wow, they included all my favorite Zelda characters like blue haired anime and giant titty witch!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

deafmute posted:

You could use the Target pre-order deal where you buy a pre-order card for $1 then get $15 off MK8.

Is this still going on? I just looked it up and I think it was only 6/8-6/14. Bummer.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What is that NES Zelda mode in the trailer?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Asnorban posted:

It's not known for sure but people are guessing it's the stage select/overworld map.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Asnorban posted:

It looked like Empire or Conquest mode, only with NES Zelda making the map. That is seriously cool.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Tender Bender posted:

Is this still going on? I just looked it up and I think it was only 6/8-6/14. Bummer.
It's in their current ad(Jul 20 - Jul 26) on page 19

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Random Stranger posted:

It looked like Empire or Conquest mode, only with NES Zelda making the map. That is seriously cool.

Okay, I have to admit an Empire mode would make this a potential buy for me. I pretty much only play the Empires entries in the Musou series these days.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same too.
But RAD... I thought it's a complete unknown.
We localized it on a shoestring budget (using rank amateurs as voice actors), and they only made around a 100,000 copies with no advertising support.
It's a miracle that people quote it every so often.

I wouldn't have had it any other way. Like, the voice acting was all terrible sure but it kinda worked with the whole giant robot/monster movie feel of the game. And I'll never forget "A ROBOT KILLED GRANDMAAAA :saddowns:"

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 24, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

robot roll call posted:

Wow, they included all my favorite Zelda characters like blue haired anime and giant titty witch!

Did you just find out about this game?

Edit: Not really trying to sound like I'm defending those two exactly but they've been known about for ages (some of the first revealed characters really) so not sure if I follow the whole ironic reaction to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've played Gigantic Drive and yet RAD's terrible voice acting always remains firmly in my heart.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the bad voice acting was intentional.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

deafmute posted:

It's in their current ad(Jul 20 - Jul 26) on page 19

Thanks for the tip! Just took advantage of this. For reference, you can still stack this with the price matching from Amazon. The first place I went to wouldn't do it, the guy said they won't stack a price match with another offer, so the game was the Amazon price plus a $1 reservation I didn't want. I tried to talk around it but he wouldn't do it so I just left. But I checked some forums who were talking about doing this back in June, and they said while some Target employees will say it's against policy, the 15 discount from the reserve card is applied automatically when the card is rung up, so you just have to find a guy who won't notice/won't care enough to cancel it.

Then I went to another target and tried out a complicated discount plan:
1) Get the game from the electronics section.
2) Grab a few movies.
3) Price match the game at guest services. Ask if you can ring up the rest of your stuff as well (this is just a distraction so he won't notice the second discount being immediately applied).
4) Atter everything else is rung up, hand the reserve card to the guy as your last item. With any luck he won't notice that the game he price matched to 48 has just dropped another 15.
5) Return the movies the next day.

Got my $35 Mario Kart in-hand now. I don't even own a Wii U :negative:

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 24, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why not just buy a Wii U?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shyfted One posted:

Why not just buy a Wii U?

I'm planning on getting one by the end of summer, I don't have a lot of time to game right now so I'm not in a huge rush. Just wanted to make sure to register for the free game with Mario Kart before that promotion expires.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The more I think about it the more I wish I had gotten the digital version of Mario Kart 8. I wish there was a way to send your game into Nintendo or something and they'd let you just download it. :sigh:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If anyone is on the fence about shovel knight all you need to do is listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDGaqUskBRM

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

If anyone is on the fence about shovel knight all you need to do is listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDGaqUskBRM

No this stinks, listen to this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kf-OJdvb4 :colbert:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The above is indeed the proper soundtrack representation. See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OLFp9-t7I

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Alteisen posted:

No this stinks, listen to this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kf-OJdvb4 :colbert:

This is correct.

Didn't the MM1 composer do two tracks? Which ones were they, this one in particular feels very Mega Man-esque

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Y'all are nuts this is the real poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6SJkjRcSJs

Raserys posted:

Didn't the MM1 composer do two tracks? Which ones were they, this one in particular feels very Mega Man-esque

The one I just posted and Treasure Knight's stage.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Perhaps unsurprisingly when you think about it, they're actually two of the least Mega Man like tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHpQFbEthY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6SJkjRcSJs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Huh. MM1, though, does have a very different musical style from the rest of the series.

Although she did do an arrangement of Flying Machine, so that counts!

• Locked thread