Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I did a Swooping Hawk. gently caress yellow but I'm used to it since I use GW's white... anyway, lovely indoor photos after a gloss coat that don't show the variation in shades of a test model follow. I think I like the scheme.

Maybe I can get better pics tomorrow if the sun comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone know if Ragnar Blackmanes shoulderpads from GWs site is smaller/bigger than regular marine shoulders?

Edit: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-DK/Dark-Eldar-Prisoners :staredog:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 25, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Yeah people bring those up like every other week, they're old and they only put them on the site because they probably have a ton of them left over because no one wants to buy them except for that one grease-stained neckbeard who still has a boner for slave Leia.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

If you don't set up objectives near your own table edge and/or don't deploy at least some troop models near an objective against a drop pod army of at least twelve drop pods I don't know what to tell you. If a player splits their forces six ways they're going to have a tough time fighting against a more cohesively deployed army, even if they make all the scatter rolls. I would welcome an opponent literally only fielding half their army first turn whose deployment they can only vaguely control.

Well, how do you recover from a 10 point deficit after turn two? The luck of the draw means there won't always be objectives that Drop Pod armies can whore out, but odds are there will be at least a few each turn. Heaven forbid the player takes some Demon summoning.

This isn't related to Drop Pod lists, but shows how the objective cards and daemon summoning can make tactical choices in the game irrelevant. By the end of the game, Dave is just throwing away units of Daemons to be a nice guy since his Tau opponent has absolutely no way of winning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJUbOtl758

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

Well, how do you recover from a 10 point deficit after turn two? The luck of the draw means there won't always be objectives that Drop Pod armies can whore out, but odds are there will be at least a few each turn. Heaven forbid the player takes some Demon summoning.

This isn't related to Drop Pod lists, but shows how the objective cards and daemon summoning can make tactical choices in the game irrelevant. By the end of the game, Dave is just throwing away units of Daemons to be a nice guy since his Tau opponent has absolutely no way of winning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJUbOtl758

Thanks for reminding me why I don't play against daemon summoning :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Anyone know if Ragnar Blackmanes shoulderpads from GWs site is smaller/bigger than regular marine shoulders?

Edit: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-DK/Dark-Eldar-Prisoners :staredog:

Sexism aside I sincerely don't understand how this was ever a thing that any professional deliberately sculpted, let alone put into production. I know, I know, early 40K, but even the other Rogue Trader/early fantasy era poo poo I see is worlds better than this. poo poo like the Nagash that got posted upthread, or first edition beakie marines, can at least be played off as corny or goofy, but those models have no purpose in life other than to be sexy and they fail that so hard.

Look at the face on the Marilyn Monroe-esque one.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If I recall correctly, they used to be fixtures on Vect's old Dais of Destruction, and after that went out of production they released them in blisters.

Demand was high enough, I guess?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Also, I enjoy the fact that every Finecastresin cast mini is "finely detailed" no matter how obviously old or lovely the sculpt is. I mean yeah I know they're not going to be actively honest about it but quietly omitting that entire phrase would probably have been for the best in a lot of cases.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WAR FOOT posted:

If I recall correctly, they used to be fixtures on Vect's old Dais of Destruction, and after that went out of production they released them in blisters.

Demand was high enough, I guess?

Yeah they were the first bits to sell out all three years I went to Games Day 12-13 years ago.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Yes, they were "slaves" on Vect's Dias Of Destruction. Why they look so happy and well fed is up to your imagination.

Why GW decided to release them as individual bits is better left unanswered. :iit:

Original, in tiny image form:

Conversion, featuring hair pulling, from a place you would NEVER GUESS:

Dakka

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Preparing for a tournament at my club (I'm not playing but I'll help with organizing and rules), and while going over the lists, a doubt popped up. A Chaos sorcerer has the Nurgle primaris but no other Nurgle powers. I know the chaos psychic focus grants the primaris, but don't you also need to roll a power on the table?

Also, the new restriction on flying MCs on switching flight moes and then assaulting is huge. Apparently it's written somewhere in the GW charter that no one gets to assault anymore without eating at least 2 turns of fire.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sephyr posted:

Preparing for a tournament at my club (I'm not playing but I'll help with organizing and rules), and while going over the lists, a doubt popped up. A Chaos sorcerer has the Nurgle primaris but no other Nurgle powers. I know the chaos psychic focus grants the primaris, but don't you also need to roll a power on the table?

Also, the new restriction on flying MCs on switching flight moes and then assaulting is huge. Apparently it's written somewhere in the GW charter that no one gets to assault anymore without eating at least 2 turns of fire.

Why would the rolled powers be on the list anyway? You don't know them until you roll at the beginning of the game; that's the point (for better or for worse) of random powers.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Why would the rolled powers be on the list anyway? You don't know them until you roll at the beginning of the game; that's the point (for better or for worse) of random powers.

They were all pre-rolled with another judge to speed up things between games, as we're trying to have 4 matches for each player in a single day.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Sephyr posted:

They were all pre-rolled with another judge to speed up things between games, as we're trying to have 4 matches for each player in a single day.
The Nurgle Sorcerer would get the Primaris automatically, and then rolls equal to his ML on other tables. Since he is a CSM, he has to make at least one roll on the Nurgle table. Assuming he's ML1, he would snag the Primaris as his Psychic Focus, and then roll once on the Nurgle table.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

My one sad contribution to this world lives on. I helped print this thing and it shames me that it's shown up in my favorite thread :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Smaller, like most of the metal GW shoulderpads. It's weird because they're even too small for 2nd ed models, which is about when they were designed. I'd personally wait for Forgeworld to do them for Horus Heresy.

Also good on you GW, you actually implemented a search function on your website that works.

JerryLee posted:

Sexism aside I sincerely don't understand how this was ever a thing that any professional deliberately sculpted, let alone put into production. I know, I know, early 40K, but even the other Rogue Trader/early fantasy era poo poo I see is worlds better than this. poo poo like the Nagash that got posted upthread, or first edition beakie marines, can at least be played off as corny or goofy, but those models have no purpose in life other than to be sexy and they fail that so hard.

Look at the face on the Marilyn Monroe-esque one.
They're old Gary Morley sculpts. Most of his stuff was utter poo poo. They're also only from very early 2000, in the midst of 3rd ed, so they're not even ancient. As slave girls on a Dark Eldar vehicle that's basically meant to be like Jabba's desert skiff thing, I understand, but the sculpting quality is pretty atrocious.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

SRM posted:

As slave girls on a Dark Eldar vehicle that's basically meant to be like Jabba's desert skiff thing, I understand, but the sculpting quality is pretty atrocious.

But the whole model just looks so bad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ineptmule posted:

But the whole model just looks so bad.
Oh no, I am not defending that quality of it. They're horrible figures on a horrible boat also loaded with horrible figures. Slave girls as a concept (sexist as it is) just make sense in that one specific context is all. Dark Eldar are all about that sorta thing.

But hey, here's something less icky I just painted:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yessssssssss

Edit: I love the little skulls under the guns. What are those wing-shield things called anyhow? It's sort of like a pavise, maybe?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SRM posted:

Smaller, like most of the metal GW shoulderpads. It's weird because they're even too small for 2nd ed models, which is about when they were designed. I'd personally wait for Forgeworld to do them for Horus Heresy.

If Forgeworld does Horus Heresy shoulderpads with Ragnar Blackmanes symbol on, I will be pretty surprised.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ineptmule posted:

Yessssssssss

Edit: I love the little skulls under the guns. What are those wing-shield things called anyhow? It's sort of like a pavise, maybe?

Literally it's a gun shield.

In the highly unlikely event that anyone does... I'm looking for two old school Cadian radio operators.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

If Forgeworld does Horus Heresy shoulderpads with Ragnar Blackmanes symbol on, I will be pretty surprised.
Isn't Ragnar's symbol the same as the default Space Wolves icon?

LingcodKilla posted:

Literally it's a gun shield.

In the highly unlikely event that anyone does... I'm looking for two old school Cadian radio operators.
I actually might be able to hook you up with one. I also have a spare chubby Cadian officer with the shotgun.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SRM posted:

Isn't Ragnar's symbol the same as the default Space Wolves icon?

Not AFAIK.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dump_Stat posted:

My one sad contribution to this world lives on. I helped print this thing and it shames me that it's shown up in my favorite thread :(

You helped print Bush's Mission Accomplished banner? Dude that's a badass story. It's not like you directed his foreign policy or something.

Also great \/\/\/

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 25, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I sold the Unibomber a typewriter ribbon. My shame will live forever.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
This thread is populated by Living Legends.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Me and Teddy go way back.

vvv: Do you keep up? How's he doing? Is he still packing Samsonite?

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 25, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
*ahem* I was referring to myself - I once delivered a pizza to Dan Akroyd, on the tarmac of San Antonio Airport.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

krushgroove posted:

*ahem* I was referring to myself - I once delivered a pizza to Dan Akroyd, on the tarmac of San Antonio Airport.

Yea? Well this one time I...

...uh...

Ok, I got nothing. I know a dude who filled in for AC/DC's sick drummer this one time, but that's probably it, aside from going to school with a girl who ended up with a lead role in one movie that nobody remembers.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

HiveCommander posted:

Yea? Well this one time I...

...uh...

Ok, I got nothing. I know a dude who filled in for AC/DC's sick drummer this one time, but that's probably it, aside from going to school with a girl who ended up with a lead role in one movie that nobody remembers.

:aaa:

Is she still packing Samsonite?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I uh... I've never done anything famous in my life :smith:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Wargaming nerds talking about famous people they've met? That reminds me of a Weird Al song

I'm sorry. Couldn't resist

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My life is a constant barrage of loneliness and failure, keep on keepin' on goons :thumbsup:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Fix posted:

:aaa:

Is she still packing Samsonite?

Probably not. It was an Australian movie, Rabbit-Proof Fence, so I'd honestly be surprised if anyone north of the Equator even watched it.
I feel bad about the derail, so I guess I'll post my Mordrak conversion! With only a smartphone, the models don't turn out that good in photos unfortunately.

Yes, I'm slack and haven't drilled the barrels. At least this one's actually been based, unlike 99% of the models I own.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Thats a big loving hammer.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm facebook friends with Aaron Dembski-Bowden

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cataphract posted:

I'm facebook friends with Aaron Dembski-Bowden

I've been killed in two of his books.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thats a big loving hammer.

All the better to smite forces of the daemonic with!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I sold a computer to two-time world curling champion Ed 'The Wrench' Werenich.

That's like Canadian royalty right there, eh?

edit: Actual 40k stuff...

Played two quick games at 750pts last night just to get a handle on 7th and my Nids were stomped twice. I'm thinking about try the Manufactorum Genestealer formation because I am a glutton for punishment. Has anyone played with them yet?

TKIY fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PierreTheMime posted:

If you don't set up objectives near your own table edge

Objectives are placed before you pick table sides now.

I met Prince Charles when I was a kid.

• Locked thread