Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Some prototype animation I'm working on for outfit propaganda purposes that I thought people might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBdwBt0RzA

I'm going to be adding the body animation to this puppet test tonight. But this guy can be lipsynched and given additional antics/animation for virtually any propaganda speech recorded by our Dear Discotheque Leader. I'm hoping we'll be able to make some useful instructional films about gameplay concepts in addition to propaganda speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Epic High Five posted:

Odds are the quality outfits aren't going to those fights that are already 2:1 in their favor, they're dropping in on fights that at 60/40 against them and making them 50/50. This is what I do when I'm leading GOON and unfortunately it generally results in the opposing faction bailing. Even if it's even. Even if I see formerly reliable "good fight" stalwarts there like DA and AC.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE this poo poo. Why are whole platloons of people bailing on fights as soon as they start getting shot at? That's when fights get fun. I don't care if I'm winning, loosing, tying, whatever-the-loving, all I want to do is shoot mans while they shoot at me. Is that really such an uncommon sentiment?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, Crux is such a lovely loving base to attack. You just don't have any relevant sundie positions that aren't completely loving exposed. Every single decent sundie spot is just destined to get poo poo on by armor and air from miles away while you try to support an attack on a three-point base. It's basically "bring your entire faction or gtfo". gently caress that base.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE this poo poo. Why are whole platloons of people bailing on fights as soon as they start getting shot at? That's when fights get fun. I don't care if I'm winning, loosing, tying, whatever-the-loving, all I want to do is shoot mans while they shoot at me. Is that really such an uncommon sentiment?

At some point people seem to lose sight of GAME when they start grinding certs and would much rather farm people who aren't putting up a fight because it's easier certloot that way.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
EDIT: I posted this in the wrong thread because MOBILE PHONES

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 25, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

It seems to be a big loving thing in these 1v1v1 PVP MMOs, Guild Wars 2 is rife with this poo poo. Unless one zerg runs into another in the field (and if you could track numbers like in PS2 this would be even rarer then it already is) there is zero fights going on. I have literally ran into a situation following our zerg who ran into the enemies zerg, both loving backed off from one another, build arrow carts and just loving stared at each other for 5 minutes before I decided this was loving boring and dropped out.

Outside of that its players just steamrolling undefended bases and ignoring any base that has a defense going on in it. I wonder if the 1v1v1 PVP in final fantasy 14 is also the same case of everyone running circles around the map and grabbing whatever with no resistance.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

The number of bases that GOON is able to successfully defend merely by appearing at them is depressing. Sometimes the addition of our 3-4 squads isn't even enough to turn the pop ever so slightly in our favor like I try to work out most of the time we hop somewhere, but at least it's a quick-in quick-out defense there. When I have all you poor saps pull a swarm of honk wagons to surround an assault we're losing only to have the defending force bail after 2 minutes is the absolute worst. Some nights I have to shelve our more effective doctrines like Vanguard swarms or C4 fairy making GBS threads battle gals for fear of scaring off a fight.

At least it isn't just happening to me!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Epic High Five posted:

Man, SOE is really just knocking poo poo out of the ballpark now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2bmpuz/looks_like_soes_cheat_detection_is_working_well/

Looks like the reason that PS2 has been effectively de-listed from all the big hack sites apparently is because they got real, real loving good at nuking hackers and preventing them from every coming back. If it's even JUST ESP hacks that's huge because those are the hardest to detect while still giving a HUGE advantage

edit - "hags"? Kids these days tsk tsk

Tory beat me to it. Biolab fatigue is a very real thing. Generally one big outfit will get exhausted of the grind and leave and the remainders aren't enough to support the defense.

More. I have to have more hacker tears. Oh god it feels so good :vince:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Connery is definitely loving leaking. The Connery meta of giant zergs that ghost cap around one another is here. It's awful.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

David Carey posted:

Here are the details on how to get the Test helmet:
Patch up Test
Make sure you use the same Station Name on Test that your Live account is on
Get in and help test Directives and the rest of the July update
I'm not posting exactly what the requirements are because I don't want people abusing the system. If you contribute, you will get the helmet. It doesn't take much, the standards are not outrageous by any means. Thanks!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh my god it's the perfect ATV helmet

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I do, in fact run a fairly active NC outfit on Connery that does ops twice during the week. Find Moonbase Luna in the outfit listing, it has our site and all that jazz (we like to get to know new people). The GOKU Connery NC altfit, much like the TR altfit(s) is guaranteed to be absolutely dead at almost all hours, and BLIR is smaller but you'll probably get in instantly. I don't know if mag is still playing enough to keep SNH going.

Gonkish posted:

Connery is definitely loving leaking. The Connery meta of giant zergs that ghost cap around one another is here. It's awful.

"LOL GET SHREKT CONNERY ALL YOUR PLAYERS CAME HERE WITHER AND DIE"

Enjoy becoming Connery 2.0, recommended server. :)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I don't think it is the recommended server status.

It is mainly that PHX and AOD are hell zerging one continent and refusing to fight each other.

So you end up with NC pop locked on one Continent, TR on another and Vanu trying to fight on three continents.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So I just started playing again last weekend during the double xp event after ragequitting for almost a year. It feels like I've never left though. NC is still hilariously inept. 35% server pop and still getting pushed back on the only two continents not locked. Least they were okay during the Indar alert today and not holding around 10% as usual. Only thing I noticed that is different is that the map looks like PS1 now.

I don't know how anyone makes so many certs though. Even running around as a medic doesn't earn much, biolabs only end up with me going 2-64 no matter what side I'm on. 30 certs is about average for a two hour play time. Also, do they still put weapons on sale? All I've seen are just customization stuff that is still way too expensive.

On a whim I bought a Warden battle rifle cause I hate certs, but I'm not quite sure what to put on it though. Is HVA any good?

EDIT: I should add that I'm actually having more fun than I did before though, so good on Higby and co.

Broose fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

I don't think it is the recommended server status.

It is mainly that PHX and AOD are hell zerging one continent and refusing to fight each other.

So you end up with NC pop locked on one Continent, TR on another and Vanu trying to fight on three continents.

No, the VS are just trying to ghost cap Hossin. Only they can't presently work together smoothly enough to pull it off except at 4am. I cannot stress enough how not-blameless the VS are in all of this. Any GOON will vouch for me that at least half the nights I'm leading, nearly 100% of the good fights that do not vanish are on the TR front. The last two TR nights I had to pull teeth just to get a fight on the VS front that didn't immediately vanish or get 2+ platoons dropped on it.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Broose posted:

I don't know how anyone makes so many certs though. Even running around as a medic doesn't earn much, biolabs only end up with me going 2-64 no matter what side I'm on. 30 certs is about average for a two hour play time. Also, do they still put weapons on sale? All I've seen are just customization stuff that is still way too expensive.

Be in a squad they share some xp boosts and are in general way better for cert making.

The sales thing yeah still guns, and keep an eye on the out of game store/steam page since they have bundles there that are sometimes (think like holidays) deeply discounted.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Broose posted:

On a whim I bought a Warden battle rifle cause I hate certs, but I'm not quite sure what to put on it though. Is HVA any good?

EDIT: I should add that I'm actually having more fun than I did before though, so good on Higby and co.

I don't run HVA anymore since the velocity buffs. Someone recommended me a laser and flash suppressor with optic of choice (4x Trueshot in my case) and it's a great build. Flash suppressor has no downsides on a battle rifle since it's not an automatic weapon. The laser helps in case someone gets close, and you have to account for recoil for each shot anyway.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I use a scope of choice and a Laser only. I don't like the Flash Suppressor because there is bloom, although it only matters if you spam shots. If you're waiting for resettle then it's fine, your call.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

No, the VS are just trying to ghost cap Hossin.

No that was the NC last night.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Keeshhound posted:

Gonkish posted:

I don't understand why no one wants to have fun in this game. :smith:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Hopped on the test server and there's some new pistols. 2-round burst that can be charged for Vanu, shotgun for NC and the server crashed before I could try the TR one.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sedisp posted:

No that was the NC last night.

"Nuh-uh, you!" <:saddowns:>

Less facetiously, pointing fingers isn't going to find me more faces to shoot.

Also, for gently caress's sake you two, just kiss already.

Nakar posted:

I don't understand why no one wants to have fun in this game. :smith:

Tell you what, name a base, and I'll meet you there so we can shoot at each other. :unsmith:

BlueDestiny posted:

Hopped on the test server and there's some new pistols. 2-round burst that can be charged for Vanu, shotgun for NC and the server crashed before I could try the TR one.

Unless something changed since the last announcement, it's an SMG. Like, an honest-to-god pocket SMG.

I'm sure the TR will find something about it to fuel several 10-page bitchposts on the official forums.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 25, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

"Nuh-uh, you!" <:saddowns:>

Less facetiously, pointing fingers isn't going to find me more faces to shoot.

:thejoke:

BlueDestiny posted:

TR one is a full auto pistol.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I will have you all know GOKU is the canon outfit and can do no wrong.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The TR Machine-pistol is loving silly. The NC Pocket-shotty is cool as gently caress, but it's not great unless you wanna be the biggest bastard infiltrator on the planet.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
What do I have to do on the Public Test Server once I get in there? Try out the new guns? Post in the pub test forums, too? Uh. I really just want the free stuff and lord general uniqueness over future pubbies.
7 gigs to go...

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

God, that test helmet is uggo. I have PTS updated too, but I can't give enough of a poo poo to try for that dumb helmet.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

Babies crying about hax.

I think my favorite is the guy going "So.....do I get my money back?" That said all the other talking about it like it's some bug in the game cracks me up as well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
My guess on the helmet is you'll probably need to complete a couple Directive objectives, like get 10 kills or something with a weapon or whatever.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Hopefully that'll change next week when the Adversarial Alert system comes in. Shitters will have fun ghost capping until they hit 75%, then they'll leave once the alert starts. I wonder how the system will handle having two simultaneous shitterzergs ghost capping different continents.

Westy543 posted:

The curse of the filthy casuals strikes again.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Westy543 posted:

lol like there's even enough new blood booting up this game on a regular basis for that to make a difference.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Westy543 posted:

I do, in fact run a fairly active NC outfit on Connery that does ops twice during the week. Find Moonbase Luna in the outfit listing, it has our site and all that jazz (we like to get to know new people). The GOKU Connery NC altfit, much like the TR altfit(s) is guaranteed to be absolutely dead at almost all hours, and BLIR is smaller but you'll probably get in instantly. I don't know if mag is still playing enough to keep SNH going.

I'm down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There's no new players. Just rerolls.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I got kind of bored today, and I always thought that the 3 sides were kind of...samey. A few minor visual differences on largely the same bodies (which I understand, got to leave room for the cool $$ unlockable armour and have them similar enough that they have equal appeal) but anyway, I figured that I'd do a few quick concepts to see if I could come up with something interesting for each of them.

I made the NC a bit more like the NCR, more 'Freedom fighters' with a bit of individuality, duster jackets, etc. Replacable armour sections on the heavy maintain the bulky, 'square' theme, but make them more distinct. I dropped the whole corporate aspect, since freedom fighters making do with more limited means is more interesting to me. They're using older armour and tech, but lookin' fly as hell.

The TR have always looked like bad guys, so I just rolled with it. Straight up sci-fi gestapo, sure why not. Their armour, in contrast to the NC, is much more form fitting and sleek, fitting the musculature of the wearer, the sort of thing that could only be produced by a hyperinflated military budget.

I always thought the Vanu were pretty disappointing visually. If they ARE meant to be subliminally controlled by alien overlords, then gently caress it, let's get into some transhumanism and evolve a bit. It would have been cool if higher-level vanu character had the options of new models that looked progressively more and more alien. I don't know if the big guy is a heavy or a Max, but I do think the tripod legs would be cool to see, and make sense for a heavy weapons platform.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I can't really see myself wearing that helmet but I still want it. Offering unique cosmetics to live accounts is a brilliant way to encourage people to try the test server, so Higby, make sure you give whoever thought that up a bonus check.

Edit: McKilligan those designs are awesome as gently caress. I love the duster on the light armored character.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 25, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I still think we could use coat armor. NC can have a duster, TR get a long trench coat, and VS could have a lab coat. Cause science.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, NC wearing dusters just... works.

I really wish Vanu armor was waaaaaaaaaaaay more crazy alien sci-fi. Transhumanism seems to be their thing ("Evolve or Perish!", after all), but yeah they're just dudes in spandex. Play up the alien vibe, and they could be awesome.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

NC wearing coats like that works on a Firefly sort of level where the rebel guys wore brown dusters because they were all space cowboys with six-shooters. That said, greatcoats for TR would work on certain level too, same as it does for the Space Nazis in the Killzone franchise.

Anyway, for VS visuals there's a player studio "helmet" that the VanuLabs guy showed off which looked like crazy transhumanist weirdness. Oddly coloured eyes, cybernetic looking bits, things like that. I thought it was the best VS cosmetic I'd seen, simply because it sort of engages the fiction a bit more by trying to incorporate some of that augmentation that apparently the VS are all about.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc-6XFOSfic

Okay the mouth part is goofy but poo poo at least it's not another loving space wizard hood.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 25, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

McKilligan posted:

So, I got kind of bored today, and I always thought that the 3 sides were kind of...samey. A few minor visual differences on largely the same bodies (which I understand, got to leave room for the cool $$ unlockable armour and have them similar enough that they have equal appeal) but anyway, I figured that I'd do a few quick concepts to see if I could come up with something interesting for each of them.

One of my big gripes with the models in pside is that SOE didn't do enough to make the silhouettes of each faction really unique. Everyone looks very, very similar in low light. That was one thing Valve really did well in TF2 and I was hoping that SOE would learn from that concept to differentiate the factions accordingly. Sadly they did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

McKilligan posted:

I always thought the Vanu were pretty disappointing visually. If they ARE meant to be subliminally controlled by alien overlords, then gently caress it, let's get into some transhumanism and evolve a bit. It would have been cool if higher-level vanu character had the options of new models that looked progressively more and more alien. I don't know if the big guy is a heavy or a Max, but I do think the tripod legs would be cool to see, and make sense for a heavy weapons platform.

If the VS MAX looked like that three-legged dude, I would never not pull MAXes on my VS characters. :allears:

• Locked thread