Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ungh I want that NC duster so bad.

C'mon Higby, my :10bux: is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

McKilligan posted:

So, I got kind of bored today, and I always thought that the 3 sides were kind of...samey. A few minor visual differences on largely the same bodies (which I understand, got to leave room for the cool $$ unlockable armour and have them similar enough that they have equal appeal) but anyway, I figured that I'd do a few quick concepts to see if I could come up with something interesting for each of them.

I made the NC a bit more like the NCR, more 'Freedom fighters' with a bit of individuality, duster jackets, etc. Replacable armour sections on the heavy maintain the bulky, 'square' theme, but make them more distinct. I dropped the whole corporate aspect, since freedom fighters making do with more limited means is more interesting to me. They're using older armour and tech, but lookin' fly as hell.

The TR have always looked like bad guys, so I just rolled with it. Straight up sci-fi gestapo, sure why not. Their armour, in contrast to the NC, is much more form fitting and sleek, fitting the musculature of the wearer, the sort of thing that could only be produced by a hyperinflated military budget.

I always thought the Vanu were pretty disappointing visually. If they ARE meant to be subliminally controlled by alien overlords, then gently caress it, let's get into some transhumanism and evolve a bit. It would have been cool if higher-level vanu character had the options of new models that looked progressively more and more alien. I don't know if the big guy is a heavy or a Max, but I do think the tripod legs would be cool to see, and make sense for a heavy weapons platform.

loving A man, its that stupid CoD/BF poo poo that ruins this game--VS are shooting loving lasers/plasma it should be completely different then the other factions. Find a round about way to make it all similar like magazines and poo poo for balance. You could have the standard guns that shoot plasma as like the VS first draft where they just converted a TR gun then get more and more exotic to where your entire arm is encased in a loving LMG.

VS SMG's totally should have been palm pistols and gun gloves--HA's should all have their launcher slung on their shoulders like PS1 for a more unique silhouette. Have special animations like the lancer rises from the back of a VS then swivels on the shoulder like a sauron. NC could have their guy do a fancy spin because hes showing off while the TR can just be all boring and milsim.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

o muerte posted:

That's just magical :allears:
It is easily the fastest way to get hatetells in this game that I've found, and you don't have to spend hours farming or getting in a good position to get them. Just slap an infantry radar on an ESF, a weapon of your choice and go be an utter ruthless dick to snipers. They'll pop in and out of radar when they cloak, but can't run far. Just make sure to damage them every 10 seconds so they can't re-deploy out (though I've very very rarely ever seen one attempt to)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

o muerte posted:

One of my big gripes with the models in pside is that SOE didn't do enough to make the silhouettes of each faction really unique. Everyone looks very, very similar in low light. That was one thing Valve really did well in TF2 and I was hoping that SOE would learn from that concept to differentiate the factions accordingly. Sadly they did not.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here; people complain that the VS default camo blends in too much, but if each faction had a unique silhouette it'd solve a lot of problems (no one ever mistakes a white Magrider for a white Vanguard, after all) as well as just being more visually interesting.

And maybe it'd keep the pubbies from being so gobsmacked by Giraffe camo.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
If you haven't picked up a free NS-11P yet (code "summerreward"), you've only got until the end of the month

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

McKilligan posted:

So, I got kind of bored today, and I always thought that the 3 sides were kind of...samey. A few minor visual differences on largely the same bodies (which I understand, got to leave room for the cool $$ unlockable armour and have them similar enough that they have equal appeal) but anyway, I figured that I'd do a few quick concepts to see if I could come up with something interesting for each of them.

I made the NC a bit more like the NCR, more 'Freedom fighters' with a bit of individuality, duster jackets, etc. Replacable armour sections on the heavy maintain the bulky, 'square' theme, but make them more distinct. I dropped the whole corporate aspect, since freedom fighters making do with more limited means is more interesting to me. They're using older armour and tech, but lookin' fly as hell.

The TR have always looked like bad guys, so I just rolled with it. Straight up sci-fi gestapo, sure why not. Their armour, in contrast to the NC, is much more form fitting and sleek, fitting the musculature of the wearer, the sort of thing that could only be produced by a hyperinflated military budget.

I always thought the Vanu were pretty disappointing visually. If they ARE meant to be subliminally controlled by alien overlords, then gently caress it, let's get into some transhumanism and evolve a bit. It would have been cool if higher-level vanu character had the options of new models that looked progressively more and more alien. I don't know if the big guy is a heavy or a Max, but I do think the tripod legs would be cool to see, and make sense for a heavy weapons platform.

Those vanu ones kick rear end. Those tripod legs give a very half-life 2 feel. I totally wish that vanu had more cyborg stuff like replacing arms with guns and freaky legs and other body enhancements. Especially with the MAXs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Generally how many shotgun shells to kill a max? I was running around with one as an LA yesterday and went all Rambo on a max and ended up getting him but I don't know how damaged he was prior.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I'd really like to see some new MAX weapons, maybe that'll happen soon. A Vanu MAX is basically a protoss zealot already, all it needs are giant arm blades and a light trail when they charge. NC could have chainsaws for the true NC faction trait of horrifying noises. I'm drawing a blank on TR stuff though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vanu MAXes look really bad; I feel bad for them. NC ones are great if they put on some armor, and TR ones are workable with an armor + helmet change, but there's no hope for the Vanu unless you go for maximum stupid.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Generally how many shotgun shells to kill a max? I was running around with one as an LA yesterday and went all Rambo on a max and ended up getting him but I don't know how damaged he was prior.

You can test this out in VR...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Has anyone hopped on PTS and tried out the Directives? I'd like to get that helmet, but I'll be out of town until Saturday and reddit has been complaining that they can't find anybody to kill or anything to blow up in order to accomplish any Directives, so no one has any clue how to get the helmet unlocked.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ass_Burgerer posted:

You can test this out in VR...

Oh yea, I forget about VR.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He was probably pretty injured. What you want for MAXes is high DPM and high uptime like an exmag LMG. Shotguns will generally get you killed during your reload

At close range with no pellets missing you're looking at 13 rounds from a normal semi auto to kill one from full.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
An auto shotgun might be the best hit-and-run small arms choice against a MAX if and only if you can get away to reload. Dumping an entire exmagged shotgun into a MAX's back definitely hurts it a lot, but it won't kill one from full health.

Also if the MAX has Kinetic Armor I think that roughs up shotguns pretty hard too. It's probably always better to use explosives, even if the MAX has Flak.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So with player studio opening up tons of things, people have been busy. Such as Arctorn making a set of cosmetics for the Vanguard which essentially turn it into the American space-Abrams from Crysis. http://p3d.in/nzAdG

WIP obviously, from the missing textures.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone else having issues with the Steam version of PS2 now? I go to start it up, reaches 10%, goes to the character selection screen with some weird flickering, then after selecting a character the map will load up to about 10% and the crash out.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Nakar posted:

An auto shotgun might be the best hit-and-run small arms choice against a MAX if and only if you can get away to reload. Dumping an entire exmagged shotgun into a MAX's back definitely hurts it a lot, but it won't kill one from full health.

Jackhammers work, too! (This is still not that good an idea.)

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Zsinjeh posted:

It is easily the fastest way to get hatetells in this game that I've found, and you don't have to spend hours farming or getting in a good position to get them. Just slap an infantry radar on an ESF, a weapon of your choice and go be an utter ruthless dick to snipers. They'll pop in and out of radar when they cloak, but can't run far. Just make sure to damage them every 10 seconds so they can't re-deploy out (though I've very very rarely ever seen one attempt to)

This my friends, is why I run sensor shield whenever I snipe. Keep killing the idiots I would term peasants, not snipers though Zsinjeh!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

This my friends, is why I run sensor shield whenever I snipe. Keep killing the idiots I would term peasants, not snipers though Zsinjeh!

I WOULD DO THIS IF YOU'D STOP loving TAKING ALL THE CLEAR VISIONS YOU BASTARD

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Gonkish posted:

I WOULD DO THIS IF YOU'D STOP loving TAKING ALL THE CLEAR VISIONS YOU BASTARD

I suppose I could spare one of my 17 clear visions for you, peasant. :holymoley:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

McKilligan posted:

I would gladly pay $20 for the Duster on my Medic, and another $20 for the Cowboy Hat.

Higby, why are you guys not making money here?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Finally got Clear Vision to drop today, only took about my 4th recombine of 3 trash 3rd tier implants. Still missing sensor shield and awareness. :sigh:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

Finally got Clear Vision to drop today, only took about my 4th recombine of 3 trash 3rd tier implants. Still missing sensor shield and awareness. :sigh:

Got sensor shield, and hocked my Awareness for a super charger :getin:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Clear Vision was the first tier 3 implant I got on my NC guy whom I barely ever play. But he has it!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm bummed that there isn't more armour options. I want to be a space deacon with a spacerobe.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Blasmeister posted:

I just got Sensor Shield and I'm loving it. Being able to ghost through a motion detector catches so many people out.

Still no Clear Sight!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
What suit mods do people prefer? I still wear flak armor on my heavy and engineer because HE was very common a year ago. Now I've been thinking that it doesn't benefit me much anymore, and switched to grenade bandolier on my medic. Is level 3-ish nanoweave good? I don't think I get headshotted that much to be honest. Other option is to get more grenades on other classes, too. Oh, and I mainly ask this with HA & Engineer in mind.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I generally suggest grenade bandolier on everything, but with the upcoming resource changes that will probably be much less viable. My runner up to that is advanced shield capacitor.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Engineer, utility pouch, drop all the mines.

This implant that spots explosives is really starting to hurt my lazy mining attempts.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

What suit mods do people prefer? I still wear flak armor on my heavy and engineer because HE was very common an year ago. Now I've been thinking that it doesn't benefit me much anymore, and switched to grenade bandolier on my medic. Is level 3-ish nanoweave good? I don't think I get headshotted that much to be honest. Other option is to get more grenades on other classes, too. Oh, and I mainly ask this with HA & Engineer in mind.

Wouldn't Nanoweave work better depending on faction? I mean getting shot by the Vanu 143 damage guns and cutting the damage down to 114 ( or 89 damage at range ) seems pretty useful. Getting shot by an NC for 160 is still just as bad as for 200 ( or 140 at range :v: )

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Engineer, utility pouch, drop all the mines.

I would wait to see how the revamp plays out, utility pouch is very expensive for something that might be way different after the update.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Rookersh posted:

Wouldn't Nanoweave work better depending on faction? I mean getting shot by the Vanu 143 damage guns and cutting the damage down to 114 ( or 89 damage at range ) seems pretty useful. Getting shot by an NC for 160 is still just as bad as for 200 ( or 140 at range :v: )

I play NC so it's ok :v:

and yeah, the nanite thingy makes me doubt things like bandolier. It's like 1/30 to 1/15 of your nanite pool per grenade, IIRC (30, 45 and 60 nanites depending on the grenade). Throwing 2-4 per life could deplete it quickly, depending on how meatgrinder-y the battles are.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Trogdos! posted:

Oh, and I mainly ask this with HA & Engineer in mind.

Engineer should be Flak most of the time, since anything you're repairing (or driving/gunning) is going to be getting explosives tossed at it more or less constantly. That or Bandolier.

Heavy, probably Bandolier for the sweet sweet extra Conc grenades. Lotta people like the Shield Capacitor with Resist shield. (I personally still run Flak a lot, since I pull out HA for AV work most of the time.)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bandolier for AV grenades is amazing when you're expecting a MAX crash. I have a loadout named "MAX FUCKER" that is max Grenade Bandolier, AV grenades, a Decimator, and a Lasher. gently caress ALL MAXES.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rookersh posted:

TTK on 167 damage guns is slightly less affected by Nanoweave. TTK on 143 guns is not too far behind. TTK on 200 damage guns is significantly affected, and TTK on 125 guns particularly so. If you're using 200 or 125 damage guns, aim for the head always. 143 or 167 guns are kind of a wash; one way or another it's gonna take a little longer to kill someone with Nanoweave on. Nanoweave also helps against SMGs (except the Cyclone).

In theory this makes Nanoweave most beneficial for VS in that they'll be the only side that gets shot at by both 200 and 125 damage guns, but in practice Nanoweave is going to generally save you from an extra bullet or two and you'll either get that benefit and barely scrape by then immediately Medkit your health back to full, or you'll die a split-second later than you were going to die anyway. This will be true regardless of what is shooting you.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Westy543 posted:

So with player studio opening up tons of things, people have been busy. Such as Arctorn making a set of cosmetics for the Vanguard which essentially turn it into the American space-Abrams from Crysis. http://p3d.in/nzAdG

WIP obviously, from the missing textures.

This looks so good it should just be a new NC vehicle. Vanguard MK2:RGE "Rail Gun Edition"
Only one choice of primary turret. A AP cannot that is basically a knock off over the Lancer but with MBT AP damage. It'd create Homeworld/Freelancer giant beams of dark blue light or piercing yellow when fully charged shots took flight.

Spacedad posted:

Some prototype animation I'm working on for outfit propaganda purposes that I thought people might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBdwBt0RzA

I'm going to be adding the body animation to this puppet test tonight. But this guy can be lipsynched and given additional antics/animation for virtually any propaganda speech recorded by our Dear Discotheque Leader. I'm hoping we'll be able to make some useful instructional films about gameplay concepts in addition to propaganda speech.

This is really cool. If you're looking for any input I think you should add some faction color to really sell it. The grayscale tones you've choosen work really well but it feels lifeless. I know you're trying to emulate that old movie intro but trying sticking too close to your source material can sometimes take away potential opportunities for creativity.

Super Dark Purple reads very similar to the matte black you're using. A little spinkle of that VS green mixed with super dank purple would look so good and make him pop out from the background and keep the viewer's attention focused and searching for more detail. The tiny bit of clash between purple and green will make him instantly recognizable as a VS dood. Right now the only thing that screams VS is the logo on his chest but its kinda hiding in plain view surrounded by a a sea of gray.

Regardless I'm really looking forward to the first propaganda release, great work. :)

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 25, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

Engineer should be Flak most of the time, since anything you're repairing (or driving/gunning) is going to be getting explosives tossed at it more or less constantly. That or Bandolier.

Heavy, probably Bandolier for the sweet sweet extra Conc grenades. Lotta people like the Shield Capacitor with Resist shield. (I personally still run Flak a lot, since I pull out HA for AV work most of the time.)

I run bandolier most of the time on my HA with AV 'nades. If I can't kill it with rockets and an LMG then 4 AV 'nades sure as gently caress will.

If I'm resource poor or feel like actually using my LMG I run Resist/ASC, the uptime is pretty amazing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If the grenades cost doesn't change, how's that going to impact the metagame? Are we going to see more phoenix/AV turret nests? Maybe we should all get the phoenix now so we can practice before everything goes live. That sounds like fun, right? I think it sounds fun.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Decided to get real drunk instead of planetside tonight. How much did I gently caress it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It seems to be double xp so... Maybe?

• Locked thread