Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Oh man, one of my favorite wagons to jump upon.

gently caress the Google Voice app and how I can't stop using it because I like Voice in general.

I'm always this close to giving up on it.

If it wasn't for the vague promise of hangouts integration I would have dropped it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Geektox posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can get Gmail to automatically fetch email from a POP3 account, it's in the settings section of the web client.

You are, I am talking about the default email app in the phone, and how to grab all of those emails.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wargames posted:

You are, I am talking about the default email app in the phone, and how to grab all of those emails.
Select them all and forward them to the GMail account.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

First it was Google Play, now it's Chrome Beta.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2014/07/chrome-beta-for-android-update.html
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/07/simplified-sign-in-with-chrome-for.html

Chrome Beta now is mostly Material Design.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...e-apk-download/ More pics here.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, about that. It's a bit glitchy in places and there are some backwards steps in terms of features, like the stop/refresh button is now in Overflow on phones. I know it's a beta and people should expect issues but this update is definitely going to annoy some people.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 25, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Looks great, hope it comes to stable soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Yeah, about that. It's a bit glitchy in places and there is some backwards movement in terms of features, like the stop/refresh button is now in Overflow on phone. I know it's a beta and people should expect issues but this update is definitely going to annoy some people.

I think the most interesting thing is the reason the tab number is now blank is because tabs will be a part of Recent Apps on L so there's no reason to use that button anymore. It might just be left in for those who don't have the final version of L but use Chrome or something?

I'm willing to test it out for a little bit. It feels smoother than the stable Chrome. Might be a placebo though.

big mean giraffe posted:

Looks great, hope it comes to stable soon.

It makes me miss the L Preview on my tablet. :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

LastInLine posted:

Select them all and forward them to the GMail account.

I wish it was that easy but you can't forward multiple emails in the default email app.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
Got my first Android a few days ago. S4 mini. In hindsight probably should have done a bit more research but literally the only smartphone I'd ever used was a 3Gs that I got from a friend a year ago so for some dumb reason I didn't foresee that things would be so so different.

Anyway wanted to post here to say that I was about to return the phone just because the keyboard(s) seemed extremely sensitive and took up a massive amount of space and the phone performance itself seemed sub-par (laggy, unresponsive). Then I cleaned up some of the ram hog and downloaded Fleksy and jfc this thing is really really fun. It is a little gimmicky still, but at least I no longer type gibberish. Any recommendations for something where I'm less likely to fatfinger jumble letters and is similarly simple in layout but with more functionality (like clipboard)? Nvm, google keyboard seems to do the trick much better. Anything in general that would make the touchscreen a little less sensitive, more responsive to what I want from it?

Also wanted to ask to what extent it is reasonable to worry about app permissions? I wanted to open a document in Polaris office viewer 5, but the required update stated that I'd have to give the app permission to make calls. Is this normal?

drat I feel ancient using this phone.

lite frisk fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wargames posted:

I wish it was that easy but you can't forward multiple emails in the default email app.
Are you the person who has someone who accidentally deleted all their email on the server and now wants to recover it from the client? I can't find that post any more but I definitely read it recently and I'm trying to figure out why you want to do this.

I'm pretty certain the answer is that this is impossible. Not because it's technically impossible, but because the use-case for such a tool existing is so niche that nobody will have made it.

Edit:

Prallax Litovsk posted:

Got my first Android a few days ago. S4 mini.
Samsung's "mini" devices are last year's tech in a smaller case, which means the S4 Mini is effectively two-years behind the times already. And they keep all the TouchWiz bloat so they run like poo poo (which you've noticed).

If you have the option, return this and get a Moto G.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 25, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Samsung's "mini" devices are last year's tech in a smaller case, which means the S4 Mini is effectively two-years behind the times already. And they keep all the TouchWiz bloat so they run like poo poo (which you've noticed).

If you have the option, return this and get a Moto G.
Listen to this man.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Where the hell does Google Drive save files on your phone? I downloaded a zip I uploaded, it automatically opened in whatever un-zipping app I use and now I absolutely cannot find the folder anywhere.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Sab669 posted:

Where the hell does Google Drive save files on your phone? I downloaded a zip I uploaded, it automatically opened in whatever un-zipping app I use and now I absolutely cannot find the folder anywhere.

If you chose the "Download a copy" option it's probably in /sdcard/Downloads. If you just tapped on the file in the Drive app I believe it just sticks the file in some temp folder and whatever default app for that file type opens it from there and you'd probably be better off redownloading with the aforementioned option.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does anyone else have issues with Hangouts randomly not putting up notification for new SMS messages? Don't think I've ever had it happen for actual Hangout messages, but often I open the app and find that there's a SMS sitting there that I never got notified on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Audiobook chat: Is there another app just as good as Smart Audiobook Player? I would love a solution to sync my last spot between my Moto X and Nexus 7 but really like the options for playback speed that SAP offers.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

polynominal-c posted:

Why isn't there a toggle/disable pattern lock app/widget that works on non-rooted devices :confused:
Llama should be able to do this, if you allow it under device administrators.

E: tasker probably too.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
OneNote for Android just got updated with an improved UI, swiping between notebooks/sections/pages, better formatting for tablets, and handwriting support via stylus/finger. I like that Microsoft is making a solid effort at improving the app; it used to be crap but has gotten much better recently.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TraderStav posted:

Audiobook chat: Is there another app just as good as Smart Audiobook Player? I would love a solution to sync my last spot between my Moto X and Nexus 7 but really like the options for playback speed that SAP offers.

I looked around and dl'd Mort player. Haven't used it yet, but it's free and supposedly good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

I looked around and dl'd Mort player. Haven't used it yet, but it's free and supposedly good.

Hrm, no mention of syncing and appears to lack speed control. I stumbled on this, think it may be worth the $1, but the dev has a 7 day return policy:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeandroid.listen&hl=en

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I don't know where this goes but I am about a week in with my G3 and I think I have solved most things but 3 major annoynces are driving me absolutely loving nuts, I think enough to go back to iOS permanently...

1. Lockscreen Notifications, I want emails/texts/phone calls/news alerts to show up on the lock screen like iOS, I downloaded something called Slidelock that seems to mostly kind of work but it doesn't effectively lock the phone, it either dismisses to the native lock screen or if you disable that you can easily accidentally pull up the menu bar from the bottom of the phone in your pocket and start messing with everything with the phone in your pocket. I think the problem might be I need a better launcher but I downloaded Launcher Pro which apparently is one of the best and it made my whole phone dumb and retarded so that can't be it.

2. Audio Control, this is another one that I kind of solved but not really. In iOS there is a central music control, Podcasts/Music, everything goes into the same not retarded controller in the control center, in Android it seems like every app puts their own dumb controller in the notification pull down and if you pause it for too long it completely disappears, they put nothing in the lock screen. I downloaded something called Phantom Music controls but you have to change pages in the lock screen and the whole thing seems dumb.

3. Context awareness in the browser, this one is a no brainer for me and it doesn't seem right that Android doesn't have this. I have to look up emails and phone numbers in my browser all the time and in iOS it automatically makes them into the relevant hyperlinks however in Android I have to use the horrible overkill of a copy and paste system, put it in the clipboard and then paste it into the dialer app, the share to link inexplicably won't even share to the dialer even with the overkill of a copy and paste system.

Any suggestions?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I don't know where this goes but I am about a week in with my G3 and I think I have solved most things but 3 major annoynces are driving me absolutely loving nuts, I think enough to go back to iOS permanently...

1. Lockscreen Notifications, I want emails/texts/phone calls/news alerts to show up on the lock screen like iOS, I downloaded something called Slidelock that seems to mostly kind of work but it doesn't effectively lock the phone, it either dismisses to the native lock screen or if you disable that you can easily accidentally pull up the menu bar from the bottom of the phone in your pocket and start messing with everything with the phone in your pocket. I think the problem might be I need a better launcher but I downloaded Launcher Pro which apparently is one of the best and it made my whole phone dumb and retarded so that can't be it.

2. Audio Control, this is another one that I kind of solved but not really. In iOS there is a central music control, Podcasts/Music, everything goes into the same not retarded controller in the control center, in Android it seems like every app puts their own dumb controller in the notification pull down and if you pause it for too long it completely disappears, they put nothing in the lock screen. I downloaded something called Phantom Music controls but you have to change pages in the lock screen and the whole thing seems dumb.

3. Context awareness in the browser, this one is a no brainer for me and it doesn't seem right that Android doesn't have this. I have to look up emails and phone numbers in my browser all the time and in iOS it automatically makes them into the relevant hyperlinks however in Android I have to use the horrible overkill of a copy and paste system, put it in the clipboard and then paste it into the dialer app, the share to link inexplicably won't even share to the dialer even with the overkill of a copy and paste system.

Any suggestions?

The first one at least will be fixed in Android L since it will show notifications on the lockscreen natively. The second one it should put playback controls on the lockscreen but if you pause it and unlock your device they will dissapear.

JoeMB fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 25, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DashClock can do the first item, assuming the G3 supports lockscreen widgets. It's written by a guy who works for Google and has lots of plugins available.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tunga posted:

DashClock can do the first item, assuming the G3 supports lockscreen widgets. It's written by a guy who works for Google and has lots of plugins available.

There is also NiLS, which is similar in form (if less polished) but just straight-up mirrors your notifications.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tunga posted:

This one is the same, but better:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kk.widget&hl=en_GB

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
It looks like Dashclock does most of what I need but it's minimized by default, I can't really figure out how to reliably maximize it and as far as I can tell the only way to get it to stay unminimized is root the phone.

I think I would be mostly, mostly happy if I could get Dashclock to stay up on the screen all the time without just showing clock and a few icons without user action. I though I searched pretty well but maybe I missed something?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Zom Aur posted:

Llama should be able to do this, if you allow it under device administrators.

E: tasker probably too.

No, doesn't work. I tried Tasker (+Secure Settings), No Lock and a couple of other widgets. (SGS4 w/ 4.4.2)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If by "better" you mean "can be made ugly" then I guess you're right.

Three Olives posted:

It looks like Dashclock does most of what I need but it's minimized by default, I can't really figure out how to reliably maximize it and as far as I can tell the only way to get it to stay unminimized is root the phone.
Correct, this is how lockscreen widgets work on a phone. Sorry.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

Does anyone else have issues with Hangouts randomly not putting up notification for new SMS messages? Don't think I've ever had it happen for actual Hangout messages, but often I open the app and find that there's a SMS sitting there that I never got notified on.

I had a similar issue a while back. Make sure you don't have any other SMS app that is interfering. That's what was causing my problem.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Hrm, no mention of syncing and appears to lack speed control. I stumbled on this, think it may be worth the $1, but the dev has a 7 day return policy:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeandroid.listen&hl=en

Haven't tested it fully yet, but the sync works really well. It uses Dropbox to save the position and it easily saved/restored my position on both devices. This looks like the Cadillac if it pans out in actual use.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Casyl posted:

OneNote for Android just got updated with an improved UI, swiping between notebooks/sections/pages, better formatting for tablets, and handwriting support via stylus/finger. I like that Microsoft is making a solid effort at improving the app; it used to be crap but has gotten much better recently.

Does it display math yet? I was quite surprised to see that the Android app didn't even show it. I'd be fine without editing or creating formulas and whatnot on my phone, but not even being able to view it is ridiculous.

Three Olives posted:

This might be dependent on the website. I went to my Facebook page and when I tapped my number, the dialer came up. However, when I tapped on a phone number on my university's people search result, nothing happened.

I also remember a couple years back there being some tiff between Apple and Google about this kind of functionality, so that might have something to do with it, too.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

hooah posted:

Does it display math yet? I was quite surprised to see that the Android app didn't even show it. I'd be fine without editing or creating formulas and whatnot on my phone, but not even being able to view it is ridiculous.

I just tested this and it does not. It just says [equation] instead.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Casyl posted:

I just tested this and it does not. It just says [equation] instead.

What the gently caress.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Note 3; this is my first Android phone. So far so good, but my employer's Exchange server enforces a PIN lock which apparently blocks any lockscreen widgets and notifications.

My current solution has been to turn off the "power button automatically locks the phone" option and set the lock timeout to the maximum amount of time, but this makes the phone occasionally wake up in my pocket leading to random button presses. I'd love to have notifications on the lock screen and the ability to add widgets. Unfortunately I need to be able to access my firm's email from the phone.

Is there any more sophisticated workaround for this? I'm so new to Android I can't even reliably google for solutions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

the milk machine posted:

I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Note 3; this is my first Android phone. So far so good, but my employer's Exchange server enforces a PIN lock which apparently blocks any lockscreen widgets and notifications.

My current solution has been to turn off the "power button automatically locks the phone" option and set the lock timeout to the maximum amount of time, but this makes the phone occasionally wake up in my pocket leading to random button presses. I'd love to have notifications on the lock screen and the ability to add widgets. Unfortunately I need to be able to access my firm's email from the phone.

Is there any more sophisticated workaround for this? I'm so new to Android I can't even reliably google for solutions.

Use a different app for email. Touchdown and Nine are popular, it silos the Exchange to it's own app instead of given them full control of the device. You could also Cloudmagic, but Cloudmagic does some things that make exchange admins unhappy. It stores all mail on it's own server as a middle man and then relays it to you, so it's probably not an option.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E: beaten

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 25, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Use a different app for email. Touchdown and Nine are popular, it silos the Exchange to it's own app instead of given them full control of the device. You could also Cloudmagic, but Cloudmagic does some things that make exchange admins unhappy. It stores all mail on it's own server as a middle man and then relays it to you, so it's probably not an option.

Will those two work with Lotus Notes servers that use the Exchange account? Will my company even be aware that I am using them over the stock?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

Will those two work with Lotus Notes servers that use the Exchange account? Will my company even be aware that I am using them over the stock?

Dunno, but :eyepop: on Lotus Notes. If it uses ActiveSync (which IIRC Lotus Notes can be setup to use) then yes. Do you select "exchange" as the email service type when you configure the mail app on your Android?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm using Nine now (and the default Samsung Email app looks like it may just be reskinned Nine)... some cursory googling suggests that this is an intentional security feature and is present in most email apps. I work at a law firm, so Cloudmagic is probably a bad idea.

Edit: Once I figured out how to get Touchdown working it seems to do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 25, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Dunno, but :eyepop: on Lotus Notes. If it uses ActiveSync (which IIRC Lotus Notes can be setup to use) then yes. Do you select "exchange" as the email service type when you configure the mail app on your Android?

Yes, and I put in an address that ends in ActiveSync when I use the built-in email client as a workaround from having to use their awful (and prescribed) Lotus app.

and Yes, Lotus Notes, gently caress me. We're apparently moving over to exchange soon. We had a 90s era CIO for the longest time who hated everything Microsoft. Finally got a change at the top but it takes a long time to move a company this size to a rational service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
When you set up your account in Nine you have to specify device level or application security. Device level is the default and requires a pin to unlock your phone. Application security you only need the pin when you open Nine. Simple passcode lock automatically unlocks the device when you enter the last pin number, instead of having to hit enter.

• Locked thread