Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm having stutter issues when I load into a new area i.e. when I redeploy or fly across the continent, especially if the area is heavily populated.

Is an SSD or doubling my ram (currently 4GB) the best remedy for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I'm having stutter issues when I load into a new area i.e. when I redeploy or fly across the continent, especially if the area is heavily populated.

I've got double your RAM and still have this problem from time to time, usually after a couple hours playtime. Best to relog or (if you're lazy like me) spend the first 30 seconds or so fiddling with loadouts after you spawn in. Or do what I do and just accept that death is inevitable anyway so YOLO

If there is an easy fix to this I would LOVE to hear it. At least it's just hitching my game now and not freezing up my entire computer anymore

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always imagined that big outfits' main and primary concern are to take a bunch of randoms and make them charge into a direction, while the outfits like GOON and GOKU are more tactical and do things like MAX rushes and things (to better extents). I always imagine goons as, like, the "elite" players in video games ohmygodicantbelieveijustsaidthat.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Goons are just more organized. We're all terrible, never you fear.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

We paid :10bux: to post on a forums, that's like the exact opposite of smart.

I made a VS on the test server to try to get my hat, and I tried using the Spiker as often as possible before giving up and just :effort: with the Orion for a while before ragequiting from the unceasing HE spam at the only fight. The Spiker is terrible, dear lord. The charge is pretty garbage, so you're left with the RSI-inducing clicking.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Arghy posted:

My new PL rule is we only go to biolabs when theres 70-60% enemy pop because we loving held TR off with 29% pop at a goddamn biolab THEN PUSHED THEM OUT. Why you ask? why the entire platoon of armor below the biolab of course! not to mention 3-4 squads of infantry just loving CHILLING UNDERNEATH THE BIOLAB ON THE GROUND.

Ineffective attacks at Biolabs case study #00-23456123A.

I think biolabs are the problem. All those people in tanks just want to have a cool tank battle and this stupid biolab shows up in the lane that just saps their will to play effectively.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gonkish posted:

Goons are just more organized. We're all terrible, never you fear.

I think we're also more aware than the average pubbie, both in game and of mechanics in general. The first comes from just being in voice coms and able to warn other people of stuff. The second comes from our forums where we're not afraid to analyze games in detail.

Other than that though, we're just as good or lovely as any other player. The real truth is just that teamwork is OP.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

alarumklok posted:

I made a VS on the test server to try to get my hat, and I tried using the Spiker as often as possible before giving up and just :effort: with the Orion for a while before ragequiting from the unceasing HE spam at the only fight. The Spiker is terrible, dear lord. The charge is pretty garbage, so you're left with the RSI-inducing clicking.

Having just tried it out: it looks cool, but it's bad. It's 125 damage with like no rate of fire, the charge is a complete and utter gimmick (and probably works out to be less DPS than just mash firing the thing), it's inaccurate as gently caress, and it just plain doesn't kill poo poo fast enough. It's a VS pistol to a tee: boring, ineffective, and a major source of CTS. It's basically a ridiculously lovely version of the Desperado.

If the charge wasn't so loving slow, if the bloom wasn't so huge, if the damage wasn't so low, if the rate of fire wasn't abysmal... it might be a good gun. Maybe. Right now, though, it's a gimmick. The Repeater and Desperado beat it out handily. The Beamer might even give it a run for its money.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 26, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Epic High Five posted:

I've got double your RAM and still have this problem from time to time, usually after a couple hours playtime. Best to relog or (if you're lazy like me) spend the first 30 seconds or so fiddling with loadouts after you spawn in. Or do what I do and just accept that death is inevitable anyway so YOLO

If there is an easy fix to this I would LOVE to hear it. At least it's just hitching my game now and not freezing up my entire computer anymore

Currently, PS2 has a small memory leak. The longer you play the more your framerate is going to tank. Relogging will fix it temporarily but having to dip out every half hour gets annoying.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

sitchelin posted:

Currently, PS2 has a small memory leak. The longer you play the more your framerate is going to tank. Relogging will fix it temporarily but having to dip out every half hour gets annoying.

If you're in an outfit/group like Goku/Goon you can open up your task manager to force-close PS2. Doing so will make the game think that you crashed out and you won't lose your place in the squad/platoon or on a crowded continent.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

sitchelin posted:

I've seen a few people complain about this, not sure if it's memory (running 16 GB) or what but it has never bothered me. I have, sadly, had a few twelve hour gaming sessions, though I normally only run for three to four hours at a time without any frame rate drop.

I seem to have the opposite problem where I can't get over 60 FPS no matter what I do, I've gone from 1920x1080 Ultra down to 1280x720 with all graphics set to minimal without any change in FPS.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Klowns posted:

I've seen a few people complain about this, not sure if it's memory (running 16 GB) or what but it has never bothered me. I have, sadly, had a few twelve hour gaming sessions, though I normally only run for three to four hours at a time without any frame rate drop.

I seem to have the opposite problem where I can't get over 60 FPS no matter what I do, I've gone from 1920x1080 Ultra down to 1280x720 with all graphics set to minimal without any change in FPS.

I hate you with jealousy.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Everyone should double check their loadouts again as a recent hotfix to fix the last ALS/ALG loadout bug seems to have unequipped all my advanced forward grips from the relevant weapons. Yes, I have them unlocked, they simply unequipped themselves this time.

Fun fact about the Spiker, if you double-click on someone's head it will fire four bullets and kill them. If fire a charged shot at their head, it will fire 4 bullets and leave them with a sliver of health. Choose your own emoticon.

Klowns posted:

Go into the graphics settings and turn off "Smoothing." It's a feature to prevent sudden drops in framerate, but it caps you at 60fps or whatever it considers "stable". I just went from 55-60 fps to 70-101.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 26, 2014

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Alkydere posted:

If you're in an outfit/group like Goku/Goon you can open up your task manager to force-close PS2. Doing so will make the game think that you crashed out and you won't lose your place in the squad/platoon or on a crowded continent.

That seems to work half the time now.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The Cyclone is on sale. Think it's worth buying even if I have a Blitz? I don't hate my Blitz, but the Cyclone seems a little better, and if they ever fix laser sights providing benefits even when turned off then the Blitz is gonna look even worse. I dunno...

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Having just tried it out: it looks cool, but it's bad. It's 125 damage with like no rate of fire, the charge is a complete and utter gimmick (and probably works out to be less DPS than just mash firing the thing), it's inaccurate as gently caress, and it just plain doesn't kill poo poo fast enough. It's a VS pistol to a tee: boring, ineffective, and a major source of CTS. It's basically a ridiculously lovely version of the Desperado.

If the charge wasn't so loving slow, if the bloom wasn't so huge, if the damage wasn't so low, if the rate of fire wasn't abysmal... it might be a good gun. Maybe. Right now, though, it's a gimmick. The Repeater and Desperado beat it out handily. The Beamer might even give it a run for its money.

Seriously who the gently caress is designing weapons and why do they have a such a hate boner for VS? TR/NC get spanking new loving OP as hell weapons EVERY PATCH yet VS get poo poo thats balanced by a standard that only VS seem to follow.

NC gets a 30 round reaper, TR gets a goddamn auto sabr and VS gets a worse cycler. TR get a new SMG pistol, NC gets a shotgun pistol and VS get a burst pistol worse then all the other pistols?!

Just stop releasing VS only poo poo make it NS so it would actually be loving good and VS will be able to use it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I unironically think the game would be better without VS and/or replacing them with a completely new faction with a different concept.

Vargs posted:

The Cyclone is on sale. Think it's worth buying
YES

quote:

even if I have a Blitz?
Most likely. It was def worth buying for me even though I had a NS-7 at the time, and the Blitz is better than that one but not *that* much better.

If you were forced to choose between upgrading to the Cyclone and grabbing something completely new like a Phoenix or Jackhammer or lolpods, then I'd say stick with the Blitz. But if you're not destitute I believe you'll find the Cyclone well worth $3.5.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The Cyclone is a fantastic SMG in all cases. It's just not spray and pray like the Blitz.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

It seems to be double xp so... Maybe?

For members only.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

alarumklok posted:

We paid :10bux: to post on a forums, that's like the exact opposite of smart.
Are you loving kidding, of all the money I've wasted on stupid poo poo (Hello Lifetime STO sub :eng99: ) spending $10 on an SA is probably THE absolute best money I've ever spent.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Robzilla posted:

Are you loving kidding, of all the money I've wasted on stupid poo poo (Hello Lifetime STO sub :eng99: ) spending $10 on an SA is probably THE absolute best money I've ever spent.

You've clearly never got a $10 blowjob from behind a Circle K :smug:

Also, I hate the SAW. I got to gold medal before going bleaghh. I don't know why, but it just feels clunky as gently caress. I kill mans all day like everyone else who can point the dangerous end of a gun at bad guys, but it ain't clicking. I'm a terrible NC.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

How can you hate the SAW?! The SAW is love! The SAW is life death!

Foregrip, compensator, and I prefer the 2x sight. Don't spray it around like a CARV, ADS, click heads. Or aim at the enemy's crotch and hold LMB until your final shot to his head kills him. Playing other HA guns just doesn't feel right, like I shoot and I shoot but nobody dies!

And the ranges you can gently caress people up at!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I can't seem to manage a x2 sight except when I'm outside on a mountaintop somewhere. That said I do poo poo like bring a Gauss SAW or a TROSS into close quarters with a grip and give no fucks cause my bullets do 200 damage a hit.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe the compensator makes the difference, but it just feels like a 100 mag reaper with shittier accuracy, which I'm sure is cool for some people but I couldn't care about the LMG-sized mag; I use the GD22 normally when I'm playing heavy.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I have a hard time believing that someone can't appreciate the loving unicorn that is the SAW. All of the other NC 200 damage guns are limited by magazine size, but not the Gauss SAW, a gun that has 100 loving rounds, giving it a ridiculous 20,000 DPM. No other gun can come close to that. Sure other guns like most of what the TR have are toted as ~super death lasers~, but the raw killing potential of the Gauss SAW over a longer period of time is unchallenged.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The SAW is one of the first guns I auraxed in this game, way back when. It is still one of my favorite guns. Once it clicks with you, you become a war criminal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Seriously who the gently caress is designing weapons and why do they have a such a hate boner for VS? TR/NC get spanking new loving OP as hell weapons EVERY PATCH yet VS get poo poo thats balanced by a standard that only VS seem to follow.

NC gets a 30 round reaper, TR gets a goddamn auto sabr and VS gets a worse cycler. TR get a new SMG pistol, NC gets a shotgun pistol and VS get a burst pistol worse then all the other pistols?!

Just stop releasing VS only poo poo make it NS so it would actually be loving good and VS will be able to use it.

Well you're the one who recommended pistols that charge up to be a one hit kill, so I guess they're just listening to you!

The same people who use ADADAD macros will use click macros with the Spiker and it will be irritating as poo poo because the Spiker has better possible DPS than most primaries. Just like how the Orion would be pretty unspectacular in a perfect world where mashing ADAD didn't shrink your hitbox (though I consider the gun pretty unspectacular already). Everybody else will just have to deal with it it seems.

alarumklok posted:

You've clearly never got a $10 blowjob from behind a Circle K :smug:

Also, I hate the SAW. I got to gold medal before going bleaghh. I don't know why, but it just feels clunky as gently caress. I kill mans all day like everyone else who can point the dangerous end of a gun at bad guys, but it ain't clicking. I'm a terrible NC.

You'll come around. Everybody always does. Use the 22S or EM6 for now, THEN return to the SAW. For whatever reason this seems to be the thing that people need to do to fall in love with the SAW sometimes

It has fantastic accuracy for ANY gun, much less an LMG, but it's a less forgiving beast than the DMR because it's also the least accurate gun in the game if you're moving or bursting for more than 8 rounds. If you crouch and move I've found the accuracy is still pretty good though

simsense cumshots posted:

I can't seem to manage a x2 sight except when I'm outside on a mountaintop somewhere. That said I do poo poo like bring a Gauss SAW or a TROSS into close quarters with a grip and give no fucks cause my bullets do 200 damage a hit.

Quoting this cuz I'm down. I've got over 10,000 kills now with the 200 damage guns and at least half of them were within shotgun distance. Fact is they've got an absurdly brutal TTK with headshots (on top of the alpha meaning more flinch) and without a headshot it's still going to be good enough to mean that the determining factor in a fight is going to be something else.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 26, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

vigorous sodomy posted:

For members only.

Ah, sorry. For some reason the game makes it incredibly difficult for members to actually find out when member xp weekends are

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really wish they would do whatever is required to a.) make the scopes line up with where they're actually shooting and b.) make the red dots/holo sights loving illuminate at night. Jesus gently caress, you can't use those loving red dots at night. The dot is huge during the day and often occludes your loving target, AND at night you can't even loving see the thing because it's dark as gently caress and the same loving color as everything else.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I wouldn't mind if every life was this short and still this rewarding. We were defending the top of some Z-shaped stairs, I was half way down when I saw a few TR turn the bottom corner, tossed my grenade and hip-fired on my way back up to the top, hid behind one of the weird computer things in the room until the first two guys ran past me (at this point noticing that I was the only person left defending the room) then jumped out to knife the third guy before getting promptly shot in the head with an arrow. Props to the guy with the Hunter though, most people would have unloaded half a clip of their primary in hip-fire and taken out a team mate or two.

I don't think I've ever been killed by a sticky grenade but I really like to think that if you get one to stick to a person's face it obscures their vision and they panic, running back into a group of allies before blowing up.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I always imagined that big outfits' main and primary concern are to take a bunch of randoms and make them charge into a direction, while the outfits like GOON and GOKU are more tactical and do things like MAX rushes and things (to better extents). I always imagine goons as, like, the "elite" players in video games ohmygodicantbelieveijustsaidthat.

What GOON outfit are you talking about?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
That's why all the MLGs use a pink dot overlay :chord:

The SAW still hasn't clicked for me. I'd say none of the 200-damage guns really have. I haven't grabbed them and said I was gonna use them until they do though, because the Gauss Rifle and Anchor and EM6 already click with me so well I feel like I could give up every other gun in the game forever and be perfectly happy. I can do really really well with any of them, but I just love the 167/600 tier. I also love the Gauss S and Saw S because 167/577+SPA is a really great combo.
I'm really starting to think the Anchor is one of the best LMGs, though... 167/600 with SPA, not too bad of a reload (though its kinda long for its mag size), and an AdvLaser if you're gonna be stuck in extreme close quarters but don't want to Jackhammer. I'm up to a whopping 133 kills per hour with it, at almost 500 total kills, and almost 500spm, in two sittings. It will easily be my fastest Auraxium. Sadly that's on my Connery NC and I'll have to do it again on Emerald!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Well you're the one who recommended pistols that charge up to be a one hit kill, so I guess they're just listening to you!

The same people who use ADADAD macros will use click macros with the Spiker and it will be irritating as poo poo because the Spiker has better possible DPS than most primaries. Just like how the Orion would be pretty unspectacular in a perfect world where mashing ADAD didn't shrink your hitbox (though I consider the gun pretty unspectacular already). Everybody else will just have to deal with it it seems.

The charge doesn't kill you because its a dif damage scale so while 4 normal bullets will kill you the charge will leave you alive. Its a burst pistol what VS have been asking for but the charge mechanic is loving retarded and down right lazy. It should be either a 5 round burst or like reddit suggested have a 2/4 round selector.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Also been thinkin' about loggin into WoW just for shits.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also the Desperado loving owns. Its like a silence-able Underboss with an extra shot, if you land both shots from each burst. Its a great compliment to your 167/600 tier guns cause if you run out of ammo you just keep on poopin' out those 167-dmg rounds, but now in slightly slower 2-round bursts. I got a rage tell from a guy cause I ran out of Gauss ammo at range, so I pulled it out, crouched, and headshot him at range. It just feels right.

I think I've been infected with FREEDOM

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Epic High Five posted:

It doesn't charge up to a one hit kill, it does LESS damage per bullet when charged.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Once it clicks with you, you become a war criminal.

This. It took me about 1000 kills to really fall in love with the SAW. For a long time I was forcing myself to use it but god drat, once you figure it out it is almost impossible to use anything else.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy poo poo TR is loving bad right now, 4 lightenings 2 sundys and 3 loving prowlers and a PPA/HEAT mag comes behind us. Hes dead i say to myself, nope he PPA's all the infantry while the tanks shell buildings and walls--he doesnt bother shooting at them, he just camps the spawn sundy while TR vehicles just ignore him. One DA is in the trees with a silenced MKV but hes on radar! an entire squad of TR is tactically holding the vehicle gen building covering the doors and poo poo while a LA kills everyone repeatedly right in front of them.

I'm holding the point with 3-4 TR behind me, i hear 'enemy light assault spotted' and think ok they've got him. He kills me first then kills the 3-4 guys who once spotting him ducked into cover so he leisurely kills each and every one of them. A VS sniper kills me from a tower, the same tower that the spawn sundy is in that is crawling with TR. I figure hes dead but nope hes there killing TR as they all ignore him and run in a straight line.

I swap to my VS char to get the welfare certs, TR and NC are trying to take a amerish biolab from VS. TR are not even shooting out of their spawn shield because they are so afraid and NC is trickling out to get shot by 3 LA's in the back. NC is somehow below the biolab again, on foot. A sniper pisses me off so i flank him and find 4 NC snipers in a little ball trying to shoot at the VS on the point. I kill them all 1 by 1 with my very loud obvious NS11c, not a single sniper blinks as they slowly die to accurate fire.

Is there VS this bad to? the TR all seem to be low BR so i figure its angry joe but NC lately.... i worry about their population haha at this rate TR/NC will quit and VS will become overpop again.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

Also been thinkin' about loggin into WoW just for shits.

I hope you login, become addicted to it, and never are heard from ITT again until someone who vaguely remembers you posts ITT about how you died surrounded by used mountaindew pissbottles and boxes of dunkin donuts all around your fat dead corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The thing about the Spiker's charge is that it COULD be interesting. It COULD be useful. It's just that SOE is half-assing it. "Oh, nerds want a burst pistol and a charge pistol... ok? Here's one."

Except it's the exact opposite of useful. It's a 125 damage 2-round burst gun that has RoF issues solely because of the mechanics behind what makes the charge work, meaning that -- surprise! -- if you mistime your clicks you get penalized by not being able to fire and thus probably die in the situation where most people commonly use their pistol. So it's a shittier version of a Repeater or Desperado, because it does less damage per click, and has a completely retarded fire delay thanks constantly checking if you're using the useless charge.

Charging up for a four round burst is stupid. It's the SAME AMOUNT OF DAMAGE PER SHOT. It's faster, easier, AND MORE ACCURATE to just click twice. Why would you ever charge? You wouldn't. Except now you're stuck using a lovely Repeater that does less damage and can't mag-dump as quickly (thanks to the useless charge mechanic!) so there's STILL NO loving REASON to use it over your favorite NS pistol. That's to say nothing of the fact that charging on a CQB weapon is the dumbest idea ever.

I cannot think of a situation where I would want to charge up a weapon, ANY weapon, in a CQB scenario. So if SOE is dead-set on sticking with this stupid loving gimmick, maybe they should actually TRY to make it even remotely interesting. I know this is a long shot, but here's some random loving ideas that might actually have a situational use, rather than the current useless gimmick:

- Charge up to make it a baby Lancer. It doesn't damage anything that a normal pistol would not damage (i.e., nothing above a Harasser), but it does bonus damage to MAXes and light vehicles. You can plink at fatsuits with your stupid charge pistol!

- Charge up to fire a Lasher-style plasma ball/grenade thing. Steep AOE dropoff, but it might be useful at some point.

- Charge up to condense all four rounds into the same spot. This would only really work if SOE could remove any bloom/spread during the charge burst (ensuring the rounds go into the same spot), and tweak the gun so that the stupid rattling/shaking that's going on goes away or is greatly reduced. Consider even amping up the damage to 150 or 167 per round. Basically, make the loving thing a charge-up railgun. It has a steep dropoff, so it's not a long-range shot, but all four of those rounds go to the same loving spot. If you are good at clicking heads, you do mucho damage.

ANY OF THOSE would be more useful/interesting than what the Spiker currently has. The current charge mechanic does absolutely nothing but introduce drawbacks for the sake of a completely useless gimmick, so quite literally any of these three options would be better.

Or, they could just ditch the charge altogether, make it a Repeater/Desperado clone, and then put in a sidearm that is balanced solely around charging. The Spiker becomes the best VS faction pistol, nerds eventually get their charge thing, Smed gets more money to spend on cocaine, Higby can still be paid his hair care budget, and VS actually gets a pistol worth using. Everyone wins.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread