Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
code:
Business:           $38.00
Misc Expenses:      $75.00
Monthly Bills:      $166.00 - Rent & Internet paid in July
Optional Expenses:  $225.00 (Entertainment, clothes, restaurants, alcohol)
Debt:               $609.00
Mandatory Expenses: $965.00
{
    Groceries:       $400.00
    Fuel:            $200.00
    Medical:         $100.00
    Pets:            $250.00 - Dog is getting spayed so it will be more than this month
    Household Goods: $150.00 - May reallocate to grooming
}

Total Expenses: $2078.00
------------------------

Net Income: $5900 (conservative)
    Me:  $4200
    Her: $1700 - paid 3 times August

Savings Goal: $3,800.00
Leftover: ~$22.00
OK I updated the budget for August. The savings goal is the same but I gave us some more room for expenses.

Changes:
  • $150 for household goods.
  • Optional up to $225.00 to account for Netflix and Hulu (so we still get $100.00 each and some change to hopefully roll over).
  • Income down to $5900.00 (removed $150.00 in business income just in case, lowered wife's expected just in case)
  • Upped misc expenses to $75.00 from ~$30
  • Rounded up numbers with decimal values
  • Upped medical just in case (we probably won't use this since we have an HSA)
  • Groceries up to $400.00
I know it's the month Slo Mo and me are going at it, but I have a pattern of underestimating expenses that I want to remedy. I want to stay within our budget confines this upcoming month, and that is more important to me than a competition.

imabanana: thank you I will check the book out. I've been looking for something to read lately.
Rurutia: I would appreciate an extra set of eyes looking for that stuff thanks. In YNAB the balance is the remaining money in that budget category. Because we're so close to the end of the month it's pretty zeroed out. We can use the blinds to until we have the lattice.
Engineer Lenk: Good idea thanks.

Edit: old budget for reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post432563726

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Knyteguy posted:

we have a truck tonneau bed cover that I don't know what to do with from our F150 we sold

That'd be worth something sold, no?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

cstine posted:

That'd be worth something sold, no?

Well maybe. It's got some scratches and scuffs but it is structurally sound. The only problem is I don't have the mounting hardware. It got lost in our previous move.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Home Depot will surely take the hand truck back. I've returned all sorts of defective crap to them. Easy!

Shower curtain, $10-12 for a nice fabric one (WASH IT BIWEEKLY, COLD) or $5-8 for a plastic one (WASH IT MONTHLY, COLD). Bed Bath & Beyond. You'll get a moving coupon from them, too.

Micro - I can't stand not having one. Ovens cost a lot to heat a meal (eg I can see it on my daily power consumption!) and are slow. I'd pickup a CL micro. I've done this twice, for $25 each. My current one has been in use 1yr and near daily use.

Knyteguy posted:

Well maybe. It's got some scratches and scuffs but it is structurally sound. The only problem is I don't have the mounting hardware. It got lost in our previous move.
List that poo poo on CL. Check eBay for completed auction prices and price accordingly. Get a google voice # if you don't have one already, I don't like randos having my #...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

For the SloMo competition, what do ya'll think about seeing who can get closest to their budget rather than who can spend the least?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That just incentivizes them to give themselves a very generous budget.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SiGmA_X posted:

Shower curtain, $10-12 for a nice fabric one (WASH IT BIWEEKLY, COLD) or $5-8 for a plastic one (WASH IT MONTHLY, COLD). Bed Bath & Beyond. You'll get a moving coupon from them, too.

I am pretty sure you can get 3 plastic ones for $1 at Dollar Tree.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Home Depot will surely take the hand truck back. I've returned all sorts of defective crap to them. Easy!

Micro - I can't stand not having one. Ovens cost a lot to heat a meal (eg I can see it on my daily power consumption!) and are slow. I'd pickup a CL micro. I've done this twice, for $25 each. My current one has been in use 1yr and near daily use.
List that poo poo on CL. Check eBay for completed auction prices and price accordingly. Get a google voice # if you don't have one already, I don't like randos having my #...

OK I'm going to try to take back the hand truck today.

I kind of dig the dual shower curtains - 1 clear plastic inside with magnets to stick to the tub and one cloth one outside for looks and privacy. Gonna get this today.

Nothing like cutting your effective square feet to 1/3 to realize you have/buy too much poo poo.

And also just to complain: the loving internet tops out at 8mbps, even though we pay for 60mbps. I'm going to call them but I guarantee they say they don't guarantee the speed.

Also agreed on the microwave thing. From a power perspective it makes sense. I'll check out CL.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

I kind of dig the dual shower curtains - 1 clear plastic inside with magnets to stick to the tub and one cloth one outside for looks and privacy. Gonna get this today.

Nothing like cutting your effective square feet to 1/3 to realize you have/buy too much poo poo.

And also just to complain: the loving internet tops out at 8mbps, even though we pay for 60mbps. I'm going to call them but I guarantee they say they don't guarantee the speed.

Also agreed on the microwave thing. From a power perspective it makes sense. I'll check out CL.
Just tell the HD people you're disappointed w the poor quality being as it broke and it will be NBD. Seriously. HD doesn't care. They returned a pressure regulator my uncle bought 5-10yrs ago and I got upon his death... No questions asked, as they still carry them!

I was referring to cloth liners! We have a cloth pretty curtain on the outside, too. I was thinking from a über cheap perspective, you only neeeed a liner. I believe the not clear liners are cheaper and it doesn't matter what they are so much when you have a cloth one. Make sure it goes with your towels and floor-mat.. I'm sure your wife can help there haha.

Ive also never bought one from the dollar store. There are no dollar stores within 15min of me, and I haven't been in one for 6yrs or so. I should go tho, I remember they had super cheap cleaning supplies back in the day...

Oh boy that's some awesome Comcast BS! I'm lucky mine clocks in at maybe 48~52 *always* and we pay for 50.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I thought they made it illegal to for companies to advertise top speeds but instead were forced to advertise guaranteed speeds? Maybe that's just in CA? We always get 50 MBPS and we pay for 50 MBPS

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the Home Depot stuff Sigma I will post what happens. Glad to know their return policy is reasonable. I didn't realize you meant cloth liners; we'll have to check those out.

Bugamol posted:

I thought they made it illegal to for companies to advertise top speeds but instead were forced to advertise guaranteed speeds? Maybe that's just in CA? We always get 50 MBPS and we pay for 50 MBPS

I don't think it's illegal here, but when I worked there we would do what we could if it was < 2/3 advertised speed or something. I think there's a problem somewhere because this is awful:

:asoiaf:

Our cable company is usually pretty decent, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

:toxx: :hfive:

The at least in the 33%-40% figure is important. Those are the minimum goals.
I'm not sure if anyone else touched on this, but I think this toxx is actually not the greatest idea. If you don't meet this goal, your financial situation will be roughly the same as it was before, except now you'll be banned and lose whatever accountability and advice this thread provides. Considering how huge of a change to your spending and lifestyle habits this toxx represents, I'm struggling to believe that you're going to make it. I'm rooting for you to do it, don't get me wrong!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else touched on this, but I think this toxx is actually not the greatest idea. If you don't meet this goal, your financial situation will be roughly the same as it was before, except now you'll be banned and lose whatever accountability and advice this thread provides. Considering how huge of a change to your spending and lifestyle habits this toxx represents, I'm struggling to believe that you're going to make it. I'm rooting for you to do it, don't get me wrong!

Thanks. It will be tough. I/we will do our best to hit this goal.

However if I'm banned I will re-register, and continue with the thread. It will be a $10.00 mistake.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks for the Home Depot stuff Sigma I will post what happens. Glad to know their return policy is reasonable. I didn't realize you meant cloth liners; we'll have to check those out.

I don't think it's illegal here, but when I worked there we would do what we could if it was < 2/3 advertised speed or something. I think there's a problem somewhere because this is awful:

:asoiaf:

Our cable company is usually pretty decent, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

Didn't the FCC or some government agency just drop the hammer about speeds not being as advertise and letting companies know it is against the law and they can't be doing it? I thought I heard something on NPR about it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You're in IT so I'm assuming that's jacked into your modem, or router? Holy poo poo that's bad.

For funsies, go to speedtest.comcast.com [or is it .net] and see how bad it says it is? Mine is always faster with their site than speedtest, but speedtest is always near full rating. It was NOT when we first got service and I called and bitched. Fixed within a couple days.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Didn't the FCC or some government agency just drop the hammer about speeds not being as advertise and letting companies know it is against the law and they can't be doing it? I thought I heard something on NPR about it.

Didn't know that but it is great news. Cable companies with their near limitless power over the internet for their customers need to be pretty regulated.

SiGmA_X posted:

You're in IT so I'm assuming that's jacked into your modem, or router? Holy poo poo that's bad.

For funsies, go to speedtest.comcast.com [or is it .net] and see how bad it says it is? Mine is always faster with their site than speedtest, but speedtest is always near full rating. It was NOT when we first got service and I called and bitched. Fixed within a couple days.

Comcast's speed test said 10mbps and speedtest said 12mbps just a few moments within eachother. I know that our ISP generally pads their speed test a little too though.

I can't get my over the power line network thing working for some reason, so I'm just using wifi yes. At my old place with the exact same equipment we were getting 60mbps as expected. I think it might be a jacked RG5 tip or either not enough or too much signal. But that doesn't make complete sense either. I'll give them a call and let them figure it out though.

loving annoying trying to play any online game right now though. Video streaming is also incredibly spotty and I'm pretty annoyed about it right now.

Also thought I'd let you know we took back the hand truck trouble free for a nice $60.00. We picked up some stuff we needed (shower curtain, couple shelf parts to mount our projector television) and we still ended up a little ahead. We got the shower curtain & liner from Target.

My biggest problem right now is restaurants. We went over budget about $23.00. It's really hard to cook when we're still trying to unpack everything. We brought a bunch of food over from the old place now though so hopefully we can stay on track.

I think if we can beat restaurants we can beat our spending habits. I'm not having any trouble saying no to Gadget X or anything right now. I have no desired for video games; nothing like that. We had to run into Best Buy for a wireless router and I didn't even bother looking at anything at all. It's just those damned restaurants that tempt me.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The AT&T Uverse equipment would not work with the powerline ethernet things. It didn't even matter if I put a router in between the powerline stuff and the Uverse modem.

Also, wifi speeds are full of poo poo and only get the advertised speed if your computer is having sex with the wifi router at the time. Once you are 20 feet away you probably won't get more than 10-20mbps. You should run a cable and then do a speedtest.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Knyteguy posted:

I think if we can beat restaurants we can beat our spending habits. I'm not having any trouble saying no to Gadget X or anything right now. I have no desired for video games; nothing like that. We had to run into Best Buy for a wireless router and I didn't even bother looking at anything at all. It's just those damned restaurants that tempt me.

For me it's take-out (or McDs drive-thru), but the principle is the same. I get home from a long day at work after picking up the kids and I just stare into the abyss that is the freezer with no motivation to make anything.

I've remedied the situation, for the most part, by planning meals for the week on Saturday and making and freezing a couple of dinners so we aren't cooking every night. It's also easier to think up quick meals (ca. 30 min) well before the kids are screaming that they're hungry. My wife has late shifts a couple of days a week, so frozen/fast meals are ideal for me to not have to put a lot of effort into dinner while trying to keep tabs on two toddlers.

This meal plan will serve you well in the near future, because (as I think was pointed out earlier in the thread) your collective motivation to cook will plummet shortly after the baby is born. Leverage that chest freezer you bought and freeze whatever you like (chili, casseroles, stew, etc.). When family come to visit and ask what they can bring, tell them food. Or gift cards for Swiss Chalet (my parents are the best - insert whatever chicken and wing place is good in Nevada).

You may have it somewhat easier (my view is always skewed by twins - there were a lot of jobs that needed both of us so it was harder to trade off and get some down time/sleep), but it's still a slog when a baby feeds for 1-1.5 hours every 2-3 hours. Anything that can alleviate effort in all other aspects of the home is time well spent.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Droo posted:

The AT&T Uverse equipment would not work with the powerline ethernet things. It didn't even matter if I put a router in between the powerline stuff and the Uverse modem.

Also, wifi speeds are full of poo poo and only get the advertised speed if your computer is having sex with the wifi router at the time. Once you are 20 feet away you probably won't get more than 10-20mbps. You should run a cable and then do a speedtest.
I pull 40-48mbps 25' away through 3 walls. AirPort Extreme (5th Gen) ftmfw. $60 on eBay. Do like.

This is tested via torrents. I get way less via SpeedTest over Wifi... Go figure?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aagar posted:

For me it's take-out (or McDs drive-thru), but the principle is the same. I get home from a long day at work after picking up the kids and I just stare into the abyss that is the freezer with no motivation to make anything.

I've remedied the situation, for the most part, by planning meals for the week on Saturday and making and freezing a couple of dinners so we aren't cooking every night. It's also easier to think up quick meals (ca. 30 min) well before the kids are screaming that they're hungry. My wife has late shifts a couple of days a week, so frozen/fast meals are ideal for me to not have to put a lot of effort into dinner while trying to keep tabs on two toddlers.

This meal plan will serve you well in the near future, because (as I think was pointed out earlier in the thread) your collective motivation to cook will plummet shortly after the baby is born. Leverage that chest freezer you bought and freeze whatever you like (chili, casseroles, stew, etc.). When family come to visit and ask what they can bring, tell them food. Or gift cards for Swiss Chalet (my parents are the best - insert whatever chicken and wing place is good in Nevada).

You may have it somewhat easier (my view is always skewed by twins - there were a lot of jobs that needed both of us so it was harder to trade off and get some down time/sleep), but it's still a slog when a baby feeds for 1-1.5 hours every 2-3 hours. Anything that can alleviate effort in all other aspects of the home is time well spent.

Alright we'll give meal plans a try again. I think with a kid on the way it would be a good habit to get into.

The absolute biggest problem right now is being stuck in limbo during the move: having stuff packed still, missing essentials like butter, oil, salt & pepper, tomatoes, etc. Once we finish the move, and get a chance to get some groceries in August we'll be back on track.

Moving is expensive and lovely. We might stay here for a couple years to help us save cash.

SiGmA_X posted:

I pull 40-48mbps 25' away through 3 walls. AirPort Extreme (5th Gen) ftmfw. $60 on eBay. Do like.

This is tested via torrents. I get way less via SpeedTest over Wifi... Go figure?

Jealous at the moment.

Droo posted:

It's weird though I used to use the same equipment at our old place. Our new place was built in the 70s though so I'd guess it's the infrastructure somewhere. Back to lovely PS3 download speeds over wifi :smith:.

I need Google balloon internet.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
For anyone reading this thread and also maybe trying to learn from my mistakes I just found a cool site with great tips.

http://www.feedthepig.org/toolbox/tips

Here's one I'm reading now:

http://www.feedthepig.org/toolbox/tips/habit-changers posted:

Weekend Tripper

Easing into it…
Save money by "re-discovering" fun places close to home.
Plan ahead! Airfare and hotels are cheaper when booked in advance.
If possible, plan vacations during off-seasons.
Once you get to your destination, make your own breakfast and lunches so you only have to eat dinner out.
Get deeper discounts on car rentals by "naming your price" on sites that allow you to bid for lower rates.

Super saving…
Stay in accommodations with kitchens. Cook dinner most nights, saving dining out for a few special evenings.
Explore house swapping with friends who live in different states.
If you can be flexible with your travel dates, there are some deep airfare discounts out there.
Talk to the folks about that timeshare they never use.

Lunch Lover

Easing into it...
When you go out for lunch, order water instead of drinks. Restaurants make a lot of money from the high markup on beverages.
If you go out with other people, consider splitting an entree. Serving sizes are often generous, so one order can go a long way.

Diving in...
If you can, store some food at work, like snacks, frozen entrees and canned soup. Leave them at the office so you're not tempted to spend when you're hungry.
If you forget lunch, go to the supermarket instead of a restaurant or cafe.

Super saving...
Cook extra when you make dinner and freeze in individual containers. Take it out of the freezer the night before.
Have a lunch cooking party with friends. Make soups and entrees in bulk that you then freeze in individual containers. Have the party regularly, rotating it from home to home.

... More in article http://www.feedthepig.org/toolbox/tips/habit-changers

I signed up for their email as well:

edit: Welp just found a new line of podcasts to listen to from them: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-5-ftp-compulsive-spending!/id220271991?i=16375476&mt=2

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 28, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

For anyone reading this thread and also maybe trying to learn from my mistakes I just found a cool site with great tips.

http://www.feedthepig.org/toolbox/tips

Here's one I'm reading now:

I signed up for their email as well:

edit: Welp just found a new line of podcasts to listen to from them: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-5-ftp-compulsive-spending!/id220271991?i=16375476&mt=2

I've posted this in a few financial threads, but I don't know if anyone besides me does this. Anyway, my husband and I both work 40-50 hour weeks & have 2 kids, and I've learned that the slow cooker is a life saver. I can buy meat in large quantities when I find a sale, spend 2-3 hours on a weekend packaging & freezing it, then all I have to do is yank a bag out of the freezer & dump it in the slow cooker with a few tablespoons of water, and dinner is ready when we get home.

For example, at GFS, you can get a good deal on a GIANT pork roast - usually about 10 lbs. I cut it into 4 pieces, put each piece in a gallon-size ziploc, toss some sauce & veggies over it, and presto - 4 dinners already made & in the freezer. (This sauce is amazing on pork roast, by the way: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/06/orange-chipotle-ribs-in-crockpot.html).

Buy a 10-lb roll of hamburger. Brown half of it with onions, drain, throw in a couple of ziplocs. You can yank out a bag of already browned meat, toss it in the slow cooker with manwich, spaghetti sauce, or taco seasoning - again, 10 minutes in the morning, dinner is made. Take the other half, mix with bread crumbs, eggs & spices, shape into 2-4 meat loaves (I don't know how much you eat or if you'll want leftovers), ziploc & freeze raw. Put a bowl upside-down in the slow cooker, or something else to keep it off the bottom, sit it in there, put a little ketchup or whatever your favorite topping is on it, and leave it on all day.

And we haven't even started on the beef roasts! This site has hundreds of slow cooker recipes, and a lot of them are fantastic:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

It's very easy to put up 15-20 meals in an afternoon. And if you are smart, you can repurpose your leftovers. Make a plain beef roast today, tomorrow, shred it & make chili or fajitas or barbecue beef sandwiches.

Really, the hardest part is the planning. I try to look at what I've already got in the freezer, or what's on sale. I also, about once a year, buy half a cow from a friend of my dad's who has a farm - it's a lot of money to spend at once (about $750-800 depending on size), but we usually pull about 320 or so pounds of beef, already prepped & wrapped & frozen - steaks, ribs, burger, even soup bones. If you live in a rural area, and can have a large freezer dedicated to beef, it's the way to go.

I would seriously start doing the freezer-meal thing now. You have NO idea how glad you'll be when the baby gets here that you have a couple dozen already-made dinners in the freezer. Just make sure you remember to turn on the crock pot when you're so sleep-deprived you try to diaper the wrong end.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thank you very much for the tips. I think we took it a bit far with going pretty much full on rice and beans earlier this year, and my wife got burnt out on it. I was actually pretty OK with it however (I lost something like 15 lbs and I thought it tasted great).

We're going grocery shopping ASAP in August, so maybe we'll start off trying the hamburger one you posted. Do you ever try pork butts/pork shoulders? I really like making pulled pork but I'm wondering if it's economical.

I really like the idea of front loading cooking... we just need to spend some time planning like you said. I'll make this my focus in August.

fake edit: also :suicide: I hope the baby doesn't want much attention in the middle of the night.

fake edit 2: guys I had LASIK done 10 years ago but I could use a second application.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

April posted:

Really, the hardest part is the planning. I try to look at what I've already got in the freezer, or what's on sale. I also, about once a year, buy half a cow from a friend of my dad's who has a farm - it's a lot of money to spend at once (about $750-800 depending on size), but we usually pull about 320 or so pounds of beef, already prepped & wrapped & frozen - steaks, ribs, burger, even soup bones. If you live in a rural area, and can have a large freezer dedicated to beef, it's the way to go.

I would seriously start doing the freezer-meal thing now. You have NO idea how glad you'll be when the baby gets here that you have a couple dozen already-made dinners in the freezer. Just make sure you remember to turn on the crock pot when you're so sleep-deprived you try to diaper the wrong end.

How do you get through all that beef before it gets freezer burn? I love buying meat on sale but at some point I have to stop due to freezer space and how much I think we'll be able to eat within 3 months.

Or maybe I'm missing something (vacuum seal)? We use Ziploc bags for the most part, and I'd say after about 3-4 months meat starts looking iffy. I found a whole chicken yesterday dated Aug 1, 2013 (to convince my wife that things weren't going to sit at the bottom of the freezer forever I took to dating the Ziploc bags) and it was in rough shape. That said this is the only piece of meat I can recall, since getting the freezer last year, that didn't get used within 3 months.

And Knyte - April isn't kidding. There will be times you are so tired you won't know which end of your kid is which. At about the 3 month mark we were using the motorized swings to help them sleep. I was so tired when I went to check on them I thought one of them was missing. Turned out his swing had stopped (it was on a timer) and because of that it somehow escaped my T-rex-like field of vision (I only noticed he wasn't in his crib). I freaked out until I realized he was in the swing and then I laughed like a loon. Sleep deprivation can do weird things to you.

I think I'll check out the feedthepig website as well - it never hurts to learn a few new tricks.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Aagar posted:

How do you get through all that beef before it gets freezer burn? I love buying meat on sale but at some point I have to stop due to freezer space and how much I think we'll be able to eat within 3 months.

Or maybe I'm missing something (vacuum seal)? We use Ziploc bags for the most part, and I'd say after about 3-4 months meat starts looking iffy. I found a whole chicken yesterday dated Aug 1, 2013 (to convince my wife that things weren't going to sit at the bottom of the freezer forever I took to dating the Ziploc bags) and it was in rough shape. That said this is the only piece of meat I can recall, since getting the freezer last year, that didn't get used within 3 months.

And Knyte - April isn't kidding. There will be times you are so tired you won't know which end of your kid is which. At about the 3 month mark we were using the motorized swings to help them sleep. I was so tired when I went to check on them I thought one of them was missing. Turned out his swing had stopped (it was on a timer) and because of that it somehow escaped my T-rex-like field of vision (I only noticed he wasn't in his crib). I freaked out until I realized he was in the swing and then I laughed like a loon. Sleep deprivation can do weird things to you.

I think I'll check out the feedthepig website as well - it never hurts to learn a few new tricks.

It's packaged ridiculously well. The way it works is, we pay the farmer guy (IIRC) $2/lb for the half-cow, and then we pay the butcher $0.50/lb to cut & package it. Each package is in a few layers of super-tight plastic wrap, then white paper & tape on the outside, and it's frozen solid when we pick it up. It generally keeps for about a year. We also share some, sending a few pounds of burger or a couple of roasts home with my mother-in-law or whoever happens to be hanging out here when we're cooking it. It's an awesome deal, because the burger is like the 93% lean stuff, and we get T-bone steaks, ribs, the works, and it's all a straight $2.50/lb. It helps to have a chest freezer that you can dedicate just to beef as well.

I have a food-sealing-bag contraption, I don't care much for it. The bags are pretty expensive, especially compared to ziplocs at Costco or somewhere similar, and sometimes the bag doesn't seal and instead sucks the liquid out. Probably just me. I also go through phases, where sometimes I'll stock up a bunch of meals, eat them for a few weeks, get bored, and go for frozen chicken strips or pizza or whatever. But I can't emphasize enough how awesome it is to open a bag, dump it in a slow cooker, and come home to a meal that's already made.

Here's another one - a couple of chicken breasts, a can of corn (drained), a can of black beans (rinsed thoroughly & drained) a jar or so of salsa, and a couple of tablespoons of taco seasoning. Toss it in the ziploc & freeze. Slow cook, shred the chicken, and it's the best tacos you've ever had in your life. Easy meals, few ingredients, and it's so much healthier than eating out.

Edited to add: Pulled pork is super-easy. My favorite way to do it is toss a pork roast in, cover it with root beer (trust me on this) with an onion cut up in it, let it get to where it's falling apart, drain the root beer, shred, dump your favorite barbecue sauce on it. If the root beer thing is too weird, just put it in water with a half-cup or so of fat-free italian dressing. The vinegar & seasonings in the dressing give it a really good flavor & tenderness. Same deal, cook till shredable, shred, sauce & chow down.

April fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 29, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
The GWS baseline pulled pork recipe: put pork butt in crockpot. So like, $4 on sale? Maybe $8? Pat a thin layer of brown sugar on top. Splash some worchestershire, JUST enough to cover the bottom of the pot. I like to chop some onions, add a bit of smoked paprika, black pepper, smoked chili in there. Cook. Drain liquid. Make BBQ sauce with liquid or don't. Shred pork. Done! So delicious.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks to both of you. We did most of our August shopping yesterday and we're going to pay ourselves back this Friday. We have about $130.00 to supplement groceries with the rest of the month.

We picked up 4lbs of hamburger, about 10 lbs of pork roast, a big thing of chicken breasts, and we have a prime rib, a pork shoulder, and two roaster chickens from previous shopping. We're going to try some of the ideas April posted (and also both pulled pork recipes since we have a shoulder).

I figure we bought enough stuff for about 20 cooked dinners and there will be leftovers from all of them. We also bought some quick frozen meals to help curb restaurants if we're feeling lazy ala that feedthepig.org website. Gonna get them ready tonight or tomorrow.

So we'll see what happens. Hopefully this will be a winning strategy for us that we can permanently implement into our routine.

Now we just need a microwave. It took 35 minutes to cook two small frozen mac n cheese things in the oven last night. I've been looking on CraigsList and we'll probably pick up one this weekend for $20-$40.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

If there's a Habitat for Humanity ReStore or other thrift near you, you can probably find a microwave there too.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks to both of you. We did most of our August shopping yesterday and we're going to pay ourselves back this Friday. We have about $130.00 to supplement groceries with the rest of the month.

We picked up 4lbs of hamburger, about 10 lbs of pork roast, a big thing of chicken breasts, and we have a prime rib, a pork shoulder, and two roaster chickens from previous shopping. We're going to try some of the ideas April posted (and also both pulled pork recipes since we have a shoulder).

I figure we bought enough stuff for about 20 cooked dinners and there will be leftovers from all of them. We also bought some quick frozen meals to help curb restaurants if we're feeling lazy ala that feedthepig.org website. Gonna get them ready tonight or tomorrow.

So we'll see what happens. Hopefully this will be a winning strategy for us that we can permanently implement into our routine.

Now we just need a microwave. It took 35 minutes to cook two small frozen mac n cheese things in the oven last night. I've been looking on CraigsList and we'll probably pick up one this weekend for $20-$40.

Good luck! Also, if you put something in the slow cooker that's frozen, or you do the meat loaf thing, or any situation where there isn't liquid on the bottom of the slow cooker the second you turn it on, put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom - just enough to cover it & keep the temperature even, or the crock part will crack. I forgot to mention that before, and it's kind of important.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

April posted:

Good luck! Also, if you put something in the slow cooker that's frozen, or you do the meat loaf thing, or any situation where there isn't liquid on the bottom of the slow cooker the second you turn it on, put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom - just enough to cover it & keep the temperature even, or the crock part will crack. I forgot to mention that before, and it's kind of important.
I was wondering why you said add a few tablespoons of water! Makes sense. I've never slow cooked something that didn't include some non-frozen liquid, but now I know!

I need to go through the 365 cookbook again and find some more things to make. We've recently made some delicious curry, and we've made lots of chili and various chicken&spices dishes. My gf just stopped eating meat last month tho, so that's been different. Once the curry was made, I chopped some oven baked chicken and simmered it together before serving/portioning. She also doesn't eat rice, so I made some rice on the stovetop and included that in the Pyrex portions.

April
Jul 3, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I was wondering why you said add a few tablespoons of water! Makes sense. I've never slow cooked something that didn't include some non-frozen liquid, but now I know!

I need to go through the 365 cookbook again and find some more things to make. We've recently made some delicious curry, and we've made lots of chili and various chicken&spices dishes. My gf just stopped eating meat last month tho, so that's been different. Once the curry was made, I chopped some oven baked chicken and simmered it together before serving/portioning. She also doesn't eat rice, so I made some rice on the stovetop and included that in the Pyrex portions.

Here's a really really good vegetarian one. I always just throw everything in the crockpot without measuring, but I think you'll get the idea:

Lentils - as much as you want
2-3 of the big (28 oz?) cans of petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1 bigass onion all chopped up
A couple of tablespoons of chopped garlic (I use the stuff in the jar - sue me, it's convenient)
About a pound or so of carrots, peeled & sliced (if you can find the "carrot chips" on sale, I use them sometimes too)
A bag of fresh spinach, rinsed
Toss it all in, cover it with enough water to almost reach the top (leave an inch or two, the veggies will sweat as they cook), and squirt it with sriracha till you like it. I always start with just a little bit, let it cook a couple of hours, taste, add more, etc. It's done when the lentils & carrots are soft, you might need to add a little more water. This stuff freezes awesomely, and has a lot of good-for-you stuff in it.

drat, now I want to make some.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Gonna post photos of the food I cook for myself here to motivate you Knyte. WOOOOooo spartan August.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

April posted:

Here's a really really good vegetarian one. I always just throw everything in the crockpot without measuring, but I think you'll get the idea:

Lentils - as much as you want
2-3 of the big (28 oz?) cans of petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1 bigass onion all chopped up
A couple of tablespoons of chopped garlic (I use the stuff in the jar - sue me, it's convenient)
About a pound or so of carrots, peeled & sliced (if you can find the "carrot chips" on sale, I use them sometimes too)
A bag of fresh spinach, rinsed
Toss it all in, cover it with enough water to almost reach the top (leave an inch or two, the veggies will sweat as they cook), and squirt it with sriracha till you like it. I always start with just a little bit, let it cook a couple of hours, taste, add more, etc. It's done when the lentils & carrots are soft, you might need to add a little more water. This stuff freezes awesomely, and has a lot of good-for-you stuff in it.

drat, now I want to make some.
Sounds delicious. I sent it to my gf, we'll pick up things at the next shopping trip!

April
Jul 3, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Sounds delicious. I sent it to my gf, we'll pick up things at the next shopping trip!

Slice some french bread, and toast it with garlic butter to have on the side.... HEAVEN.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Here's an easy one that owns, and is really good to eat with some beans or in tacos / burritos:

-3 pounds Chicken (I use boneless skinless thighs, but breasts or a mixture will also work)
-One small jar of Pace Picante (I use hot)

Cover the chicken with the salsa in your slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours. Shred it up and eat it.

Pretty sure this is a GWS favorite. I make up a big pot of black beans and take the beans and chicken for lunch at work. 3 pounds can last me two weeks.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Noted another couple recipes thanks guys/gals.

Just got the wife's paycheck. It was $135.00 over estimated (like I said I tried to go conservative).

We used $444.00 to pay ourselves back for laundry stuff, groceries, and gasoline. New apartment uses coin operated machines so we got a laundry card and we needed detergent.

$3.33 for miscellaneous.
$5.00 towards supplemental groceries for a couple things we forgot for the recipes.
$15.00 towards the baby fund.
$50.00 towards the emergency fund. (total $1052.91)
$200.00 for blow money $100.00 each. Total budget here is actually $225 for Netflix, Hulu, and something else small.

Pet budget gonna have to go up to $350.00 this month because all of the subsidized spaying places around here either aren't accepting or have a 4 month wait. I didn't realize it was going to be like this or we would have pre scheduled. We're looking at a $210.00-$275.00 bill from our veterinarian, but I don't want a dog that goes into heat so it's getting done this month.

We have an additional $5,400 in income (again conservative) coming in this month so we should still be on track to meeting our larger goal at hand, which is saving $3,800 this month (August).

For accountability:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Knyteguy posted:

$15.00 towards the baby fund.
$50.00 towards the emergency fund. (total $1052.91)
$200.00 for blow money $100.00 each. Total budget here is actually $225 for Netflix, Hulu, and something else small.

Do you not see the immediate, obvious, sad reality here?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

a worthy uhh posted:

Do you not see the immediate, obvious, sad reality here?

It is the first paycheck of the month, and that is our entire month's budget for our entertainment/restaurants/clothes/whatever, but we'll be putting large sums of money in our emergency fund starting the 7th. We spent almost our entire discretionary fund on the 5th of July last month so we've been sitting at home quite a bit lately. I want to have the option to go out this weekend and not break our budget.

Blow money is meant to keep us on budget for the rest of the stuff. It is simply a tool that I was even encouraged to raise. Please look at the total budget I've posted a couple times in the last page or two if you want to see our entire plan for the month of August, instead of simply 12% of the expected monthly income.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm confused by your YNABBERY. How are you paying back the stuff you over budgeted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I'm confused by your YNABBERY. How are you paying back the stuff you over budgeted?

For overbudgeted stuff it just takes it from the income we make this month. The red rent was already accounted for when we paid it, but I left it red to reflect that we're really paying for it this month.

All of the red categories are being taken out of our August budget (so it will count towards the budget numbers I posted at the top of this page). We just needed some stuff really badly from moving that couldn't wait, like groceries. It was either buy groceries when we did or get take out. Our August plan is much more thought out than our July plan, especially since moving won't throw a wrench into things, so I'm hoping we come closer to our numbers.

I will post a summary of expected vs actual at the end of August to see how close my budget predictions were.

Also YNABBERY is a good word.

Edit: everything except rent. We paid for that from July's income.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread