Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was going through an older comedy goldmine article, let's draw characters from memory, and I found these. Don't think I've seen them posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Darthemed posted:

I feel like Peanuts would have earned some of the same general reception Funky Winkerbean gets these days when it started pulling out strips like this one and Snoopy's night anxieties.

Adding my voice to this chorus. I never did like Peanuts for being so mopey. One Christmas I got a coloring book about the TV special, and I drew an extra page on the inside back cover to give Charlie Brown a happy ending. I don't remember the special itself, but I remember another one that focused on the dead of WW1 and recited In Flanders Fields over pictures of gravestones for what seemed like hours. Seeing the early strips is very enlightening. I think Peanuts would deserve the praise if it had stayed closer to those.

quote:

Calvin And Hobbes

And this one illustrates something I think Bill Watterson failed at. It's one of the rare Susie Derkins strips that suggests she behaves like a child, doing something odd because that's what she wants to do. In most strips, she comes off as a dreary, unimaginative scold, a short adult there only to look down on Calvin. I never get the feeling Mr. Bun has the life Hobbes has.

Last Pickles till Monday. Memorize this till then:

Geech avoids eye contact while washing its balls.

And in the second panel, Scott leans in and says, "If you want them in darker colors, why don't you turn them inside out?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

don Jaime posted:

One Christmas I got a coloring book about the TV special, and I drew an extra page on the inside back cover to give Charlie Brown a happy ending.
Paging AxeManiac or Borden.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

To Cerebro!

Rex Morgan MD

"He's in teenager heaven!" said the teenage girl.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Peanuts has never been my absolute fave like Fox Trot or Calvin and Hobbes or (as a kid) Dilbert or Get Fuzzy were, but I never disliked it. Its moroseness never really got to me, but then, I'm somewhat a morose person. And I had a book of strips with a lot of WW1-themed Snoopy strips in them and eight-year-old me thought it very important to label each strip in crayon some weird name cataloging his adventures. I have no idea why this was so important to me.

Anyhow... Cow and Boy

For shame, Cow, brush up on your espanol.

Sherman's Lagoon

Just do what Jane's Addiction did and alienate one of the better members of the band so you can spend the next album doing songs making fun of him out of really obvious bitterness. That's probably the story of multiple bands' comeback albums, actually.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

I foresee Modesty and Sir G having a few words after this caper.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Thank you, this was exactly what I was waiting for. :allears:

Fingerpori

There's Finlandia and Finlandia.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 6, 1927)

Peanuts (July 29, 1967)

A reminder here that these are the strips I don't pick out and this is not a response to anything.

Funky Winkerbean

Comic Book John was in denial until the paramedics arrived. It was the only time he made the front page in the trade papers.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 13-14, 1925)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I, um... I just want to pretend that's mud... on their faces. But not their lips. I just wanna pretend that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Oh good, back to our regularly-scheduled Winkerbean.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 13-14, 1925)

LvK posted:

I, um... I just want to pretend that's mud... on their faces. But not their lips. I just wanna pretend that.

Naw, it was the 20s. Blackface was perfectly socially acceptable back then.

Here's Jane's World from Wednesday, 7/23. It just randomly showed up today. I still can't find the 21st, or the 22nd:

That's a drat fine Mustang, Paige.

Non Sequitur

It's a literal shark buffet!

Heavenly Nostrils

Nicely put, Marigold.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/26/2003

Nope, she's hurling obscenities at you two.

Zits

You guys have weird taste in art.

Kevin & Kell

Oh come on Wendell, you're prey for Christ's sake. They're just getting you to come over so they can eviscerate you, and have an afternoon snack before dinner.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Jesus, now Batiuk's killing off real people in his comic.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Comic Book John was in denial until the paramedics arrived. It was the only time he made the front page in the trade papers.

You joke but that's actually what's happening lol Batuik is killing off his guest star within a week.
Berger & Wyse

Irrelevant fruit...

And a Rarebit Fiend.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

FISTING!

Cul-de-sac

and yes, I got the hybrid car joke yesterday, but hybrid cars are a combination of batteries and gasoline, which is why I was wondering what a kinetic powered popper was being hybridized with.
fuckin' goons.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac

and yes, I got the hybrid car joke yesterday, but hybrid cars are a combination of batteries and gasoline, which is why I was wondering what a kinetic powered popper was being hybridized with.
fuckin' goons.
Hybrid cars are quiet; Little kids are probably unclear on what makes it a hybrid; The popper was quiet; It must be a hybrid popper!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is the funniest strip in the thread. Respect These Comix.

Pooch Café

AUGH BIRD TEETH

Ballard Street

That thing looks like it's from the late seventies. When a department store vacuum cleaner lasts 35 years, a garland and a couple of candles barely cuts it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

don Jaime posted:

And this one illustrates something I think Bill Watterson failed at. It's one of the rare Susie Derkins strips that suggests she behaves like a child, doing something odd because that's what she wants to do. In most strips, she comes off as a dreary, unimaginative scold, a short adult there only to look down on Calvin. I never get the feeling Mr. Bun has the life Hobbes has.

Here's how Watterson described her:

quote:

Susie is earnest, serious, and smart - the kind of girl I was attracted to in school and eventually married. "Derkins" was the nickname of my wife's family's beagle. The early strips with Susie were heavy-handed with the love-hate conflict, and it's taken me a while to get a bead on Susie's relationship with Calvin. I suspect Calvin has a mild crush on her that he expresses by trying to annoy her, but Susie is a bit unnerved and put off by Calvin's weirdness. This encourages Calvin to be even weirder, so it's a good dynamic. Neither of them quote understands what's going on, which is probably true of most relationships. I sometimes imagine a strip from Susie's point of view would be interesting, and after so many strips about boys, I think a strip about a little girl, drawn by a woman, could be great.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Herman

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

Pooch Café

AUGH BIRD TEETH

That bird took a dump. Never thought I'd see that in a newspaper strip.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

That guy in the second panel will be showing up again.

The Adventures Of BIG RODENT!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

One of those authentic medieval welcome mats.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
If you want to wallow in in the Starbuck Jones saga just a little bit more, Tom Batiuk been posting "The Untold History of Batom Comics" on his Funky-blog. It doesn't look like he intended it to be funny, except in a philosophical sense.

The totally serious artist in question posted:

In the spring of 1972, federal agents entered the converted warehouse on West Third Street in Cleveland that housed the editorial offices of Batom Comics. They were looking for Barry Martin, Batom’s publisher and they found him busy at work in a small corner office just off a large open room with creaking wooden floors and tall mullioned windows. Hung high on the opposite wall and running the length of the room were giant panels featuring the comic book heroes from Batom Comics glory days.

They were all there: The Lunar Cadets, Charlie & Chuck, The Black Ghost, The Arizona Ranger, Tank Thompson, The Amazing Mr. Sponge and Absorbing Junior, The Cockroach, the majestic Blue Astra and of course Batom’s stellar hero Starbuck Jones. It was The Cockroach the company’s last creation who had proved Batom’s undoing. Its long legal battle with its aptly named rival Mega Comics had finally ended in the Fall of the previous year with a Federal Court upholding a lower court ruling that The Cockroach substantially violated Mega Comics copyright on Arachnid-Man. To fulfill the damages awarded by the court, Batom Comics, which had always run on a paper thin profit margin as it hung on against the industry giants, now essentially belonged to Mega-Comics.

The star crossed history of Batom Comics had finally come to an end although its comics would continued to be fondly remembered and collected by the comic book cognoscente. Though Batom had always been a hole in the wall company operating in the Mid-West far from the New York City spotlight, to a certain faithful and fanatic following, it loomed as large as any of the other comic book publishing giants. It was the little comic book company that could and this is its story.

THE AMAZING MR. SPONGE AND ABSORBING JUNIOR. Ugh. :suicide:

Isn't that the title Mopey Pete works on now?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

There's Finlandia and Finlandia.

I always feel really smart when I get a Fingerpori joke without looking at the explanation.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
This sounds like it's a paragraph away from being the backstory to another character.

"Ran out of his own company and left destitute, Barry Martin retreated to the sewers where he became the Cockroach King! With his kingdom of sewer-dwellers behind him, he plots the downfall of Mega Comics!"

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

kidcoelacanth posted:

Good to know Charlie Brown's an Alan Kulwicki fan.

appreciating this joke

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Selachian posted:

One of those authentic medieval welcome mats.

Fuckin wizards always gotta be anachronistic and poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Heathcliff

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail this week is amazing

(I prefer posting a weeks-worth of Trail so it's easier to follow the plot, but if the thread would rather I post a daily dose of Jam Esallen, sing out.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Holy poo poo. Actual action in Mark Trail!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know much about stampedes, but that guy's very dead, right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't know much about stampedes, but that guy's very dead, right?

Probably. I suppose it's possible that all those hooves missed anything vital and he's just got the world's most broken leg or something, but unlikely.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Either he's dead, or he will limp back to camp and blame Mark for his horrible injuries.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Parmesan Basil posted:

appreciating this joke

I'm glad someone did :kiddo:

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

I was going through an older comedy goldmine article, let's draw characters from memory, and I found these. Don't think I've seen them posted.

These are so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This arc's from last april, so, topical, I guess. Yay.

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

So what if it's not decent, Inspector Danger? What then?

• Locked thread