Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bugdrvr posted:

What you all think about this?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4562953175.html
I've decided instead of trying to get a good commuter/track day bike that I'm going to get a good commuter and continue to beat on the FZR until I get decent enough to warrant a proper track day bike.

Low miles is nice, kinda crappy paint is nice (it's going to live outside most of the time), not sure what kind of work was done so will most likely have to go back through everything.

Seems really expensive to me. I bought xovaans for 1500 with high mileage and a billion mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sunter posted:

The last two look great! Neither are sold in the US however, also they have much larger engines than I feel comfortable with right now. I would love a w800 or one of the other nice looking standards that nobody imports to the US because people here just want harleys and bonnevilles it seems.

Halo_4am recommended some good lower powered alternatives, there's also the Bandit 600.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Seems really expensive to me. I bought xovaans for 1500 with high mileage and a billion mods.

What happened there? I thought he was never going to sell it because it was totally the best bike ever in the world, or something...?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Great. Now I'm in the market for a ZRX.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

But you're renowned for conning goons out of bikes. :)

Was just informed this won't work because you bought the bike FOR him, oh well. Another time.

HNasty fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 27, 2014

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

How silly would it be to get a Grom as a 6'2" 250 lb guy? Stupid silly? I'm 5 miles from work, but I would need to be able to go 45 MPH to be safe on the backroad as its a popular way to avoid the highway.

Its just so drat cheap and cute, and it would be fun on the weekends on the dirt roads near my house.

Yamaha SR400 would probably be more fitting but it seems over priced at 7k.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wendigee posted:

How silly would it be to get a Grom as a 6'2" 250 lb guy? Stupid silly? I'm 5 miles from work, but I would need to be able to go 45 MPH to be safe on the backroad as its a popular way to avoid the highway.

Its just so drat cheap and cute, and it would be fun on the weekends on the dirt roads near my house.

Yamaha SR400 would probably be more fitting but it seems over priced at 7k.

Probably I should just get like a KLR 650 I'm guessing?

Or maybe a Vstrom?

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 28, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Don't get a Grom. Just get a used, normal bike.

notZaar posted:

Holy poo poo, when did Kawasaki stop selling nice looking bikes in the US? I just looked at their website and it's god awful.

At least they're trying to do something different.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My previous bike, about 2 years ago, was a V-star 650 classic, and it was good, but it couldn't do highway speeds without running uncomfortably high on the Highway.. but now I don't need to go highway to commute as I bought a new house.

poo poo maybe I want a V-star 650 lol.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wendigee posted:

Probably I should just get like a KLR 650 I'm guessing?

Always do this.

For real though, at 6'2", 250lbs, you'll be intensely cramped on a Grom. You want at least a real-sized bike. A GS500 or Tempter 650 would be a good choice, as would any of the usual dual sport suspects (e.g. KLR, DRZ400, or WR250).

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

you need to know how to work on a KLR 650 though right? It will die early unless you can work on it? It needs maintenance?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

No?

It's got a tremendously simple single cylinder engine that's wildly overbuilt. If a previous owner replaced the cam chain tensioner, just change the oil every now and then. It's even easy to pull the carburetor if/when you need to clean it after letting the bike sit way too long.

The KLR hasn't changed since 1985. It's well documented and has a fantastic wealth of community knowledge.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

No?

It's got a tremendously simple single cylinder engine that's wildly overbuilt. If a previous owner replaced the cam chain tensioner, just change the oil every now and then. It's even easy to pull the carburetor if/when you need to clean it after letting the bike sit way too long.

The KLR hasn't changed since 1985. It's well documented and has a fantastic wealth of community knowledge.

Thank you. I will probably buy one in the next few weeks. Waiting for my stocks to vest. I thought I read horror tales of the bike being unreliable. Guess that was either old or not true.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Maybe you're thinking of older KTMs (yeah I went there Austrian dorks).

Try to find a KLR from the early to mid 2000s with about 20-30K miles. Expect to pay $2000-$3000. Look for one without a lot of farkles (luggage is nice, as is an IMS fuel tank, but electrical stuff can get janky). Look for one where the owner has replace the cam chain tensioner (Doohickey), or expect to replace it yourself immediately. If you can, find one with a manual fuel petcock, as the vacuum operated ones can fail and leave you stranded. Make sure the chain and sprockets are in good shape.

There are a million KLRs in existence, so there are bound to be some horror stories. What you don't read about is the many many solid examples out there.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I was actually going to buy a new KLR, the 2014 New Model. Bought my Subaru WRX straight up(awesome car). Looking to do the same on the KLR. I don't like loans or debt. I save till I got the money and buy what I want.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 28, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Buying a new KLR seems really, really silly considering it is still a carbureted five-speed 1980's big thumper dirtbike but if that money is really burning a hole in your pocket I guess there are worse things to spend it on.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Buying a new KLR seems really, really silly considering it is still a carbureted five-speed 1980's big thumper dirtbike but if that money is really burning a hole in your pocket I guess there are worse things to spend it on.

oh.. okay. so its the same bike as a decade ago? interesting. I thought the new one was fuel injection :(

It aint burning at all, just want a good bike that will last me 10+ years without major repair that can do fine on an occasional highway but mostly back roads for a 6'2" 250 dude whose been losing a few pounds each year for the last 5.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wendigee posted:

oh.. okay. so its the same bike as a decade ago? interesting. I thought the new one was fuel injection :(

It aint burning at all, just want a good bike that will last me 10+ years

Basically. The KLR got new fairings in 2008, but the engine and frame are almost entirely the same.

Lasting 10 years is a weird concept for Cycle Asylum. Most of us have biek ADD and wind up getting a new bike every couple of years. Can you make a brand new KLR last 10 years? Easily. Is it well suited to your height, weight, and riding style? Absolutely. Will you get bored with the heavy bike and 37 hp tractor motor? Almost definitely.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What if I buy a bad model and it failed?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wendigee posted:

What if I buy a bad model and it failed?

I guess that's just the risk you take buying a motor vehicle. I can't imagine KLRs fail at a significantly different rate from similar bikes from the big three Japanese manufacturers. If anyone has hard numbers, feel free to elucidate.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I think you may find that you want another bike in less than 10 years. I don't know you, though, so maybe you'll be blissfully happy and never want another one.

Ask here before you buy. There are mechanics and people who know all kinds of stuff about KLRs who would be happy to tell you if you're going to regret your purchase. Take them with a grain of salt, do some research, and get a bike that you feel will work for you. Maybe go to a local dealer and sit on one to see if it's comfortable first. That's about all I did when I bought my bike, and I'm super happy with it.

Next year I intend to get myself a Triumph Street Triple. Not because my Ninjer is some awful bike, full of mechanical woes, but because it's a little underpowered for what I'd like to do, and the Triumph is awesome to me. I figured at the beginning that I'd ride it for at least 2 years, but, uh, yeah.

So take the advice to buy used very seriously. Get it vetted by a mechanic who isn't a putz, and enjoy the hell out of it for as long as you can.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

10+ years is a bloody long time. By the time I've ridden [sportsbike] for a year I desperately want a [nakedbike] or [musclebike] and because there's no perfect bike, I always end up selling and buying and selling and buying because eventually the deficiencies of a given bike start to overwhelm the positives in my mind. Grass is always greener et al. Bike ownership in excess of a few years is really, really rare and usually limited to Harleys or goldwings and the like when the person basically lives on the bike or is a geriatric retiree.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

True. I'm gonna keep an eye out and see what pops up. I started looking at FZ1s now and feel like that might be the bike I need instead (140hp is needed for commuting obvs). Seems to be a ton of low mileage but slightly dinged up examples out there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HNasty posted:

Was just informed this won't work because you bought the bike FOR him, oh well. Another time.

Just give me some time, something mock worthy will come up :)

Also don't buy a new KLR. I think my 1290 is like bike 65 for me in 10 years. Im a bit extra broken but dont commit before you've had the chance to ride a few bikes, yaknow?

If you want a klr, buy a used one that has already had the doohickey done.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

HNasty posted:

The $$$ xovaan has blown trying to get it to run right is mock worthy if you're looking for ammo. Definitely too lazy to look up the post to come up w/ something more specific.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

Just give me some time, something mock worthy will come up :)

Also don't buy a new KLR. I think my 1290 is like bike 65 for me in 10 years. Im a bit extra broken but dont commit before you've had the chance to ride a few bikes, yaknow?

If you want a klr, buy a used one that has already had the doohickey done.

Of all the bike you should buy new I can't think of a worse one than a KLR. They're unchanged and available dirt cheap with sweet mods like some guy's milk crate bungee strapped to the back.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Speaking of KLRs, I am reaaaly tempted to go out and buy this right now :shepspends: I just don't know about that "Aftermarket Choke" business. Can someone enlighten me?

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4587402184.html

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 28, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Is buying a bike where a credit union holds the title a big deal? I certainly don't plan on paying it off and just letting the dude mail me the title, but I'm sure they do this often enough to where they can just do the paperwork to transfer it to me and mail it directly to me right?

Since it's a credit union I'm hoping they will have the title there at the local branch, or if not if they can have it sent down ahead of time. Place is out of state for me so I'd rather not leave without the title in my hands.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 28, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Wendigee posted:

you need to know how to work on a KLR 650 though right? It will die early unless you can work on it? It needs maintenance?

Everything needs maintenance.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tanbo posted:

Is buying a bike where a credit union holds the title a big deal? I certainly don't plan on paying it off and just letting the dude mail me the title, but I'm sure they do this often enough to where they can just do the paperwork to transfer it to me and mail it directly to me right?

Since it's a credit union I'm hoping they will have the title there at the local branch, or if not if they can have it sent down ahead of time. Place is out of state for me so I'd rather not leave without the title in my hands.

This is essentially the same thing as having a lienholder on your title, right? Seems pretty normal.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Helping a friend find a bike; how do FZ6s hold up long term? Is 26000 miles considered high for these? Anything to look for?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Helping a friend find a bike; how do FZ6s hold up long term? Is 26000 miles considered high for these? Anything to look for?

I just got one myself. From my brief dicking around on the internet before I bought it (with 10075mi on it) these engines seem to be doing fine for 100kmi. Or at least they last longer than anyone wants to keep using them/can keep from crashing them.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

about the only thing I can think of is some of the Japanese brands had a plastic cam chain tensioner that sometimes needs to be replaced, other than that, nope.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It'll be due for a valve adjust if it hasn't been done already.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

HNasty posted:

about the only thing I can think of is some of the Japanese brands had a plastic cam chain tensioner that sometimes needs to be replaced, other than that, nope.

That's Hondas and at 26k it's probably due for a valve check.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HNasty posted:

Some of those plebian japanese brands. Like on the motogp. You know the ones. Kawazuki and so on. The ones poor people ride. You know the ones. The japanese bikes. You see them, on the motogp. They make a buzzing noise, the japanese brands. Like on the motogp.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Beach Bum posted:

Speaking of KLRs, I am reaaaly tempted to go out and buy this right now :shepspends: I just don't know about that "Aftermarket Choke" business. Can someone enlighten me?

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4587402184.html

A common swap on KLRs is to replace either the choke lever holder or the part where the choke enters the carburetor because they're both inexplicably made of fragile plastic that will break if you mess with them and are not prepared for it. The three methods of replacement are 1. OEM swap, 2. swapping with brass harley parts since I think sportsters use the same carb, or 3. (what he did) switch it out with an oldschool plunger-style choke which means you need to reach all the way inside there and pull it every time you need choke, hope you have thin fingers. The plus side for that setup is that there are less moving parts, ergo it's more reliable and you don't need to worry about a choke cable or anything else, but the down side is that you need to reach into your carbs every time you cold start it and it doesn't really alternate flow, it's mainly on/off. Really only an issue if you want to run half choke in cold weather for a bit, but still kind of a pain.

Also, I don't know about your market but that price seems pretty high for a bunch of minor cosmetic upgrades and almost 30k miles. The dash, center stand, and front brace are cool, but I still wouldn't pay more than 17-1800 for that at the end of the day. It's a 2006, sure, but pretty much nothing changed about the design since the 80s. He's got the "tweety" too, or the high-pitched squeak from the muffler that sounds like an old VW bug that, depending on the rider, can be either mildly distracting or consistently infuriating. It's not really detrimental and it doesn't affect your output, but to stop it you either need to install another exhaust or stab the inside off your muffler with a screwdriver a bunch of times. Ask him how often he changes his oil, too; he's set up for the highway and KLRs are notorious for burning oil on consistent, high RPMS. I run a lot of highway and change my oil around every 1k miles. Put a supermoto or KTM front fender ($30-40, 20 minute install) on that thing if you get it and you will want to live on the highway.

for sale fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 29, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
How do Buell Blasts hold up? There's a 2010 one at the local Harley dealership I'm going to go take a look at tomorrow, and I'd like to know what to keep an eye on (I'm looking for something that is going to be reliable, easily maintainable, and forgiving while I'm learning to ride and fixing up an older bike).

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Some of those plebian japanese brands. Like on the motogp. You know the ones. Kawazuki and so on. The ones poor people ride. You know the ones. The japanese bikes. You see them, on the motogp. They make a buzzing noise, the japanese brands. Like on the motogp.

I don't get what you're going for here, can you please explain.

SquadronROE posted:

How do Buell Blasts... (I'm looking for something that is going to be reliable, easily maintainable, and forgiving while I'm learning to ride and fixing up an older bike).

NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

for sale posted:

A common swap on KLRs is to replace either the choke lever holder or the part where the choke enters the carburetor because they're both inexplicably made of fragile plastic that will break if you mess with them and are not prepared for it. The three methods of replacement are 1. OEM swap, 2. swapping with brass harley parts since I think sportsters use the same carb, or 3. (what he did) switch it out with an oldschool plunger-style choke which means you need to reach all the way inside there and pull it every time you need choke, hope you have thin fingers. The plus side for that setup is that there are less moving parts, ergo it's more reliable and you don't need to worry about a choke cable or anything else, but the down side is that you need to reach into your carbs every time you cold start it and it doesn't really alternate flow, it's mainly on/off. Really only an issue if you want to run half choke in cold weather for a bit, but still kind of a pain.

Also, I don't know about your market but that price seems pretty high for a bunch of minor cosmetic upgrades and almost 30k miles. The dash, center stand, and front brace are cool, but I still wouldn't pay more than 17-1800 for that at the end of the day. It's a 2006, sure, but pretty much nothing changed about the design since the 80s. He's got the "tweety" too, or the high-pitched squeak from the muffler that sounds like an old VW bug that, depending on the rider, can be either mildly distracting or consistently infuriating. It's not really detrimental and it doesn't affect your output, but to stop it you either need to install another exhaust or stab the inside off your muffler with a screwdriver a bunch of times. Ask him how often he changes his oil, too; he's set up for the highway and KLRs are notorious for burning oil on consistent, high RPMS. I run a lot of highway and change my oil around every 1k miles. Put a supermoto or KTM front fender ($30-40, 20 minute install) on that thing if you get it and you will want to live on the highway.

Thanks for all this. I'll keep deal hunting.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 29, 2014