Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

My favorite ending is the green ending because that's my favorite colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJIQfmWx3dI

No glands, replaced by tech. No digestive system, replaced by tech. No... souls, replaced by tech. THAT'S what synthesis is.

I'll never forgive ME 3 for what they did with Mordin. Replacing the VA, and having him go on the 180, "oh yeah, genophage was bad, I regret it" after his loyalty mission was him specifically coming to terms with it and still saying he would have done it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Zedd posted:

In my eyes it really doesn't matter when they set it, as long as it's good. Hell you can set it during ME3 and just retcon the worst aspects of the ending's effects some more.

As long as we get a Krogan sQUADmate again I'm good.

But years of MP (poo poo, it has been years) has made me want to BE the Krogan. Renegade/Paragon choices are decided if you talk before headbutting or just get on with the headbutting.

And I completely agree with you sentiment. I know it's kind of a low brow approach, but I just want the next game to be fun. They've gotten the combat mechanics really tight with ME3, especially with dynamics with different combinations of squadmates.

Most sci-fi stories have enough holes in them to sink a ship, but as long as you're having fun, most of those holes get looked over.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
you people take videogamewriting/fiction far to seriously.

Whatever happened earlier is irrelevant if you can write and change the story. If they're nice about it they can mention the earlier games' events in some in-game encyclopedia, but they don't have to. They can do whatever they want, really. Even in this thread already there are people that literally say "I didn't like what happened in the old games, but will buy the new one irregardless. I don't even know what it is about yet, but hey it's called Mass Effect" and seriously that's the only thing that matters.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Aristobulus posted:

I suppose that's possible, too. I mean, with Destroy you can say "everyone rebuilt, galactic society reformed" with Control you say "Shepard Reapers helped galactic society rebuild and then left" but

How do you handwave away synthesis? If nothing else, everyone should have glowy neon parts on them while they go about their happily rebuilt lives, right?

Well, I suppose you could say cosmetics were introduced to cover that up and technically everyone does still have it.

that is why "in another galaxy" works well, you big ole goof.

Anywhere in the Milky Way would have been hit by the space-magic wavefront, which is presented as a galaxy-wide thing. Setting it outside the Milky Way lets you skip all of that.

Just say somebody during the war discovered some kinda super-relay that can punt a ship to Andromeda or something. It'll be fine.

I for one am ready for Mass Effect: Universe Voyager.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 27, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kaizer88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJIQfmWx3dI

No glands, replaced by tech. No digestive system, replaced by tech. No... souls, replaced by tech. THAT'S what synthesis is.

I'll never forgive ME 3 for what they did with Mordin. Replacing the VA, and having him go on the 180, "oh yeah, genophage was bad, I regret it" after his loyalty mission was him specifically coming to terms with it and still saying he would have done it again.
Mordin's death scene was fantastic, and one of the best parts of the series for me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm not too miffed about a potential new galaxy, because other scifi series did it well before, like Stargate Atlantis that was mentioned earlier.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Nihilarian posted:

Mordin's death scene was fantastic, and one of the best parts of the series for me.

This, dude had a great character arc. There don't need to be always happy endings.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mordin's character-arc was good, except for the crucial part of it where he became anti-genophage apparently happening offscreen and remaining unexplained.

like much of ME3, his presence in that game ignored a ton of previous characterization and development in order to tug at your heartstrings harder.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 27, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mordin is always questioning himself about if he really did the right thing with the genophage. His ME2 loyalty mission is all about that.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

he questions it, but he ultimately never backs down from his position that it was the lesser of the available evils. He just becomes open to the idea that one day it might not be necessary.

There needs to have been something that pushed him over that line before he could go all "yes, undoing this wrong is my ultimate purpose and is highly fulfilling!"

imo the overall krogan arc would have been more interesting if Mordin had been more openly "The krogan aren't ready! gat dam reaper invasion forcing me to do this thing I think is a bad idea!" and he'd died with some unresolved doubts on the issue that are ultimately proven wrong (if wrex is king) or right (if wreav is king).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The fact that you can convince him not to cure the genophage if both Wrex and Eve is significant. He basically sees these two (or at least one of them) as enough of a long term stable influence that they can be trusted with leading the Krogan into a new, genophage-free age.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

There needs to have been something that pushed him over that line before he could go all "yes, undoing this wrong is my ultimate purpose and is highly fulfilling!"

Eve is supposed to be that catalyst. They drive it home quite often during that arc.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

tribbledirigible posted:

But years of MP (poo poo, it has been years) has made me want to BE the Krogan. Renegade/Paragon choices are decided if you talk before headbutting or just get on with the headbutting.

I have to agree with that. I would totally love a full fledged multiplayer focused game like the MP of ME3 except...even more to do. Maybe even lobbies to run around or something.

I don't know I would love an ME MMO that let you BE the alien races like the multiplayer did. ME3's mp was great for what it was but to me it just feels like a demo, a trial of what could be with a game that's ABOUT the multiplayer rather than it tacked on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Doesn't Mordin recommend keeping the data at the end of 2, in case it's needed? His arc felt logical and natural to me.

Now, not being able to influence his decision is a legitamte complaint, but the story is well done so I'm willing to forgive it. And the alternative paths help, since you can convince him the Krogans aren't ready.

And if you want to play a bastard Shepard, nothing makes you feel more like a bastard than shooting him in the back.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Aristobulus posted:

I have to agree with that. I would totally love a full fledged multiplayer focused game like the MP of ME3 except...even more to do. Maybe even lobbies to run around or something.

I don't know I would love an ME MMO that let you BE the alien races like the multiplayer did. ME3's mp was great for what it was but to me it just feels like a demo, a trial of what could be with a game that's ABOUT the multiplayer rather than it tacked on.

I'd be satisfied with PVP (even if I have no idea how to balance the powers since a good half lead the target helpless) or co-op campaigns. Anything other than just horde mode.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Geostomp posted:

I'd be satisfied with PVP (even if I have no idea how to balance the powers since a good half lead the target helpless) or co-op campaigns. Anything other than just horde mode.

I know, right? Like, you could have all that if they just straight made a game devoted to the multiplayer. You could have multiple maps, multiple modes, multiple characters and things to do and just oh god ungh I want THAT game. Horde mode really does get stale but I love the character/class building and customization of the mp, collecting guns and items and just the chance to play as the alien races.

God. I really just want PSO except with ME lore.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A little co-op campaign sounds cool, but no MMO please.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They should steal a bit of game-play from the SNES Star Trek Next Generation game and let you choose your whole squad for away missions, so you can leave the commander on ship.

Fake Edit: On non story missions.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

... Mass Effect: Peacewalker. :aaaaa:

Man, if they went in that direction when it came to missions and crew management, goodbye everything else in life!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

remusclaw posted:

They should steal a bit of game-play from the SNES Star Trek Next Generation game and let you choose your whole squad for away missions, so you can leave the commander on ship.

Fake Edit: On non story missions.

It always seemed weird that most of the crew was forced to sit around for even the simplest missions. Maybe you could have a pool of potential away team commanders like Garrus or Miranda who could take anyone else with them to handle the basic "kill them" or "retrieve this" missions instead of the player character hogging all the action.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Geostomp posted:

It always seemed weird that most of the crew was forced to sit around for even the simplest missions. Maybe you could have a pool of potential away team commanders like Garrus or Miranda who could take anyone else with them to handle the basic "kill them" or "retrieve this" missions instead of the player character hogging all the action.

This was a reason Citadel DLC was good, by the way. It was nice to have the rest of the crew actually doing something other than playing cards back on the ship while Shep + 2 friends do everything.

More missions should've been like that and involved the rest of the crew in some way.

Come to think of it, Suicide Mission in ME2 did that also.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really can't believe anyone in this thread can hear the possibility of Mass Effect: Atlantis and think "no thanks, here are a bunch of reasons why that is silly." If they go back to ME1 style exploration but do away with the procedurally generated planet hellscapes and cookie cutter missions it could be the greatest sci-fi game ever made. At least we have Destiny and No Man's Sky in the meantime.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DrNutt posted:

I really can't believe anyone in this thread can hear the possibility of Mass Effect: Atlantis and think "no thanks, here are a bunch of reasons why that is silly." If they go back to ME1 style exploration but do away with the procedurally generated planet hellscapes and cookie cutter missions it could be the greatest sci-fi game ever made. At least we have Destiny and No Man's Sky in the meantime.

I dislike every idea that has the game taking place in the Milky Way, past, present or future. So this rumor sounds okay to me, I'm certain I won't be pre-ordering or anything like that but I'll pay attention to the reception the game gets.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Lycus posted:

I dislike every idea that has the game taking place in the Milky Way, past, present or future. So this rumor sounds okay to me, I'm certain I won't be pre-ordering or anything like that but I'll pay attention to the reception the game gets.

You don't want it to take place in the galaxy you actually know? What?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Aristobulus posted:

I can't imagine why people would like to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, and new civilizations. Boldly going where no man, no one, has gone before?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Aristobulus posted:

To some people, the Milky Way in Mass Effect has gotten very silly to the point that a new setting is preferable

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

DrNutt posted:

I can't imagine why people would like to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life, and new civilizations. Boldly going where no man, no one, has gone before?

plenty of which are still available in our own galaxy, even in this fantastical setting?

e: provided this is actually set in a new galaxy (which is still totally attributed to 2 guys on the internet), how does that not come off as "we don't want to try to deal with the way the last series ended". That's what's unimpressive about this, not the possibility of a new setting which essentially resets expectations to "boy ME1 sure looks exciting!" along with the lessons learned from such a series existing already. Some people may be (rightfully) upset that an existing and still very rich setting is being set aside (if that is, indeed, what is happening).

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 28, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Aristobulus posted:

Yes, I'm done with the Reaper threat to the Milky Way, the Citadel, etc. and I definitely don't want a "canon ending". I liked the original trilogy, but I'm done with it.

JawKnee posted:

e: provided this is actually set in a new galaxy (which is still totally attributed to 2 guys on the internet), how does that not come off as "we don't want to try to deal with the way the last series ended".

I don't want them to deal with that. That's part of what makes this sound okay to me.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 28, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

why?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want a time travel game where we fly back and shoot dinosaur men and actually go to ATLANTIS.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Lycus posted:

Yes, I'm done with the Reaper threat to the Milky Way, the Citadel, etc. and I definitely don't want a "canon ending". I liked the original trilogy, but I'm done with it.

So what do you want that would still be a game that feels like Mass Effect?

quote:

Well, of course. Of course I understand that, it's one of the main reasons I liked ME1 in the first place.

What I mean is, even in the ME trilogy we have only seen a fraction of the Milky Way galaxy. There are plenty of places to go that have not been gone to before. Hell, even in the places we have been...for example, Illium is an entire planet, and you see just one city. Just one tiny PART of that city, even.

I'm not saying I want the game to not explore places we haven't seen, I'm saying I want to be doing it as the races I already know and not leave everything that makes ME feel like ME, behind.

If you abandon the alien races and the Citadel and all the homeworlds, how is it still Mass Effect?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Doesn't sound like fun. I'm done with Reaper story, either during or aftermath and I'm fine with leaving the aftermath to your imagination depending on what you did. Pioneering in a new galaxy sounds like it's more fun.

Aristobulus posted:

So what do you want that would still be a game that feels like Mass Effect?
Familiar turian/salarian/asari/etc. faces on your ship and biotics and poo poo. Everything else new. That sounds alright to me.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 28, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Aristobulus posted:

Illium is an entire planet

No it isn't.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Lycus posted:

Familiar turian/salarian/asari/etc. faces on your ship and biotics and poo poo. Everything else new. That sounds alright to me.

But...you can have that even if it still takes place in the Milky Way?

I do agree I don't want a story about the Reapers and that war anymore though. I just think you can have a story not about the Reapers and still be in the Milky Way.

quote:

No it isn't.

Ah - I need to double check that then - is Illium the city? I thought it was Illium planet Nos Astra city? Do I have it backwards or is it completely different?

E - Thanks for posting that wiki link below. Felt kinda awkward for a moment.

Aristobulus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 28, 2014

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Lt. Danger posted:

No it isn't.

Yes it is. Nos Astra is the city you visit in the second game.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

etjester posted:

Yes it is. Nos Astra is the city you visit in the second game.

I don't think he meant literally!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Aristobulus posted:

But...you can have that even if it still takes place in the Milky Way?
So we can have a good dose of the familiar stuff plus explore new space empires, new space stations, new hubs, new non-backwater planets, new threats. Sounds like more fun than being in the Milky Way again to me. You be disappointed, I'll be slightly relieved.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

It's not real. It's a fiction! It exists to convey concepts, emotions and ideas!

There is no 'more' to be seen!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

It's not real. It's a fiction! It exists to convey concepts, emotions and ideas!

There is no 'more' to be seen!

neither is any other potential fictional setting so I guess they shouldn't bother trying to make another game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Illium is the Blade Runner planet where Shepard can have adventures that involve corruption and the false veneer of civilisation.

We have seen Illium. There is no need to see 'the rest' because it - the planet, the whole setting - is a facade. If we did see more, it would just be more facade.

I think Aristobulus should just be honest about his asari fetish.

• Locked thread