Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Westy543 posted:

I think he's a little frustrated with the general feedback after VS actually wanted one. Now that VS are getting one, they want something else. It's not even about balance numbers, it's people telling them the concept is trash and to rework it. I do think the Beamer Storm needs work, but having it made into 5 different weapons won't fix its issues.

It's like when the NC claimed to have wanted a shotgun pistol forever then immediately turned around and started crying for some dumb gauss explosive round pistol bullshit as soon as they saw it.
That's understandable, but the Spiker is trash as both a burst pistol and a charge pistol, and I guess people would rather it be a decent one in either than a lovely one in both. Except arguably what kind of pistol the Spiker is has no bearing on whether it's good, and it simply isn't at this point. The only reason I'm not that upset about it is that all three of the new pistols are pretty lovely, so whatever.

None of this changes the fact that Malorn's response is utter nonsense either, really, since Halo pretty much plays in no way like PS2 and the charge mechanic on the pistols in Halo are nothing like the charge mechanic on the current Spiker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'd rather have one functional pistol that gives VS an option other than semi-auto, than a pistol that's trying and failing to be that, while also having a gimmick to make it "unique". What they SHOULD do, is make the Spiker literally just a loving Desperado, and then make a new pistol sometime that is ONLY a charge up gimmick thing. One or the other, NOT loving BOTH.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The Spiker is hilarious because it has the same damage per round as the TR Repeater (125) while somehow having an abysmal rate of fire. The stat page for it shows something in the realm of 700 rpm, which is pretty low for a 125 damage weapon, but it feels like it fires way, way slower even. I'm not sure if it's because of the charge mechanic fuckery or what, but man it's so poo poo.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Here's the issue: VS wanted a charge pistol, and we also wanted a burst pistol. We did not want a lovely burst pistol (Seriously, compare it to the Repeater or Desperado) with a charge mechanic lazily tacked on; Especially when it hurts the refire rate because there's a weird delay where the game checks to see if you're charging. Do I (And probably most VS) want a charge pistol still? Yes. Do we want a burst pistol? Also yes. The objection isn't to either concept, just the weird way they mashed it together into something that is very notably worse than the pistols the NC and TR are getting.

Basically,

Gonkish posted:

One or the other, NOT loving BOTH.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

The intensity of my love for you cannot be expressed in any known human language.

Desideratus posted:

Here's the issue: VS wanted a charge pistol, and we also wanted a burst pistol. We did not want a lovely burst pistol (Seriously, compare it to the Repeater or Desperado) with a charge mechanic lazily tacked on; Especially when it hurts the refire rate because there's a weird delay where the game checks to see if you're charging. Do I (And probably most VS) want a charge pistol still? Yes. Do we want a burst pistol? Also yes. The objection isn't to either concept, just the weird way they mashed it together into something that is very notably worse than the pistols the NC and TR are getting.

Basically,

I think a charge pistol that is also functionally spammable can work. They're just thinking about it the wrong way.

I would like a vanu-unique pistol that is an arm cannon please. And a primary weapon version. And a rocket version.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 28, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

(double post, pardon)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Spacedad posted:

I think a charge pistol that is also functionally spammable can work. They're just thinking about it the wrong way.

Yeah, that could work, the problem is that mechanically it just doesn't right now. The charge gimmick is preventing the pistol from being any good, because it's preventing you from spamming the primary fire as much as you want. You can't effectively mag dump the thing, because the game is essentially just constantly asking you if you want to use the charge. Then it realizes too late that you don't, fires, and then you're loving still mashing the button and not getting bullets into the bad man's face. Then you die, bitch about the lovely gun, and never use it again.

Then Malorn calls you bad for not liking Halo because somehow that's relevant.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 28, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

This.

While vigorous sodomy's posts are poo poo, this one basically summarizes everyone else's takeaway. Is it fun for you guys to dunk on newbies? Probably. But then again there's an entire community of people that sit around, trolling the comments section on YouTube. This is sort of the same level.

No one should be "giving enemy newbies a pass" and they don't really necessarily need a big pile of free poo poo. A nice one month boost would be a good idea, though.

What newbies DO need is to see some good sportsmanship. The takeaway from getting your poo poo handed to you is very different when first starting out when you've got people filling up yell chat with "good fight!" and a smattering of taunts or battle cries or telling them they should redeploy and not get farmed while a point caps, rather than "LOL YOU SUCK SO BAD" and "loving NEWBIES GET LOST. "

In the former you're vets doing what you do and, despite dunking on newbies and farming them, they walk away maybe having learned something or at the very least you are gracious victors. In the latter you're being a shitter.

The bonus here is that over time, you could stop complaining about how TR/NC/VS pubs need to suck less and learn to play, because maybe some of them will catch on and learn instead of blindly following zergfits. The real question is whether you genuinely want a more challenging experience where you have to earn victory rather than a nice ego stroke where you just slap around incompetent people for hours and then rub their faces in it and brag about how much better than them you are.

This isn't just focused at GOKU, it applies to GOON and pretty much everyone... it's just that this series of posts sparked the rant. Everyone should be a better sport, and while that goes against everything goonsquads normally stand for, sometimes it's a necessary thing to make sure we literally aren't personally responsible for ruining the community of a game (see also: EVEgoons, STO) because I don't know about you guys but I'd like to still be able to login to this game and find good fights in 2 years.

We actually do try to help educate other outfits in how to play better. KV and the rest of us before the server merger were making great inroads with other outfits on the server in organizing better for fights and commanding with greater competence. We basically have had to start from scratch there now that the merger has taken place...and then along comes Angry Joe.

Angry Joe & SOE's clusterfuck of an event is basically just one big chaotic mess that one could not even begin to try to break apart to 'educate people on playing the game' in because it literally is just a fuckload of first timers logging on for fun in a game that demands a rather considerable learning curve.

If anything it's good that they learned how badly they understand the game - they had fun anyway, and will be coming back and trying to organize a better effort and learn. But what they needed was support on their side from organized experienced groups coordinating with them, rather than say, the people who were trying to run sunderers and armor into Biolab hexes they don't even have adjacency to. Joe and the other youtubers unfortunately didn't try to contact established outfits in the game server about how they should try to run the event around the regular pace of play, or maybe dilute their numbers between different cotinents or even different factions. Hopefully they will do so next time.

Also, bear in mind helping out Angry Joe and the newbies was something we wanted to do by playing on our FRZA alts with them but couldn't because TR on Hossin had become totally clogged with BR 1s and impossible for any organized effort to occur in. So instead we literally just played the game how we play it normally on Vanu, and basically taught them how poor their approach to the game is. It wasn't meant to be cruel, and it wasn't meant as an organized educational effort - it was just us playing the game as normal, and a clusterfuck event playing out how any clusterfuck plays out.

Anyway - expect things to improve bit by bit from here on out. Joe and pals want to do more events, and run them better so they're not clusterfucks. We're hoping to get in touch with them so we can help them arrange stuff that makes better fights for all.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 28, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hahahahahah that lasher spam is beautiful

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I sent Angry Joe a friendly email offering outreach for established outfits on Emerald and telling him who to contact there. Hopefully this leads to him getting in touch with them so they can all coordinate events that make for better fights for everyone.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
After ages of hating the VS, I may just have to make an alt for them. I just can't stand the pubbies anymore and the allure of fabulous laser team gets stronger and stronger.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

They should really retune the Cerberus as they release the Spiker. Both guns need a lot of love right now.

Edit: Hey this is a cool rear end player studio cosmetic set for the Prowler. Dunno how it would mesh with the cosmetic armors.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 28, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

OrangeSoda posted:

After ages of hating the VS, I may just have to make an alt for them. I just can't stand the pubbies anymore and the allure of fabulous laser team gets stronger and stronger.

No worries mate, Goku mains VS but also plays on all three factions depending on the night or if one of the other factions needs help catching up.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Westy543 posted:

They should really retune the Cerberus as they release the Spiker. Both guns need a lot of love right now.

Edit: Hey this is a cool rear end player studio cosmetic set for the Prowler. Dunno how it would mesh with the cosmetic armors.

I crack up that they're modelling explosive reactive armor on a tank from the year 2850. We don't need reactive plating any more, we have nanites :science:

Spacedad posted:

I sent Angry Joe a friendly email offering outreach for established outfits on Emerald and telling him who to contact there. Hopefully this leads to him getting in touch with them so they can all coordinate events that make for better fights for everyone.

Props for doing this, that's the kind of outreach the game needs for new players.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The anti-RPG mesh on the sides/rear also isn't going to do anything when the gaps in them would be far too big to stop an RPG. The logic behind the model is pretty terrible but if that level of detail is possible for player studio stuff then it's interesting at least to see what's possible as far as additions go.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You guys who are not sure who to run with, you should run with GOON for this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5pFmey3TB4
Crying irl

Chet is our songsmith of Prose Ops, and while the prose was a bit lean tonight (I really need an MC guys I can't run both the platoon AND the glorious verse) Chet continued his domination. Twas a hectic night, but I shall be running the platoon next week and hopefully ops as well next week and if I need to I will make it GOON-only so that I can pause to get the good stuff out there.

GOON rulez!

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 28, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

o muerte posted:

I crack up that they're modelling explosive reactive armor on a tank from the year 2850. We don't need reactive plating any more, we have nanites :science:

The TR guns are using technology that is more than fifteen hundred years old at this point. I think that them using reactive armor is a bit more believable.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

You guys who are not sure who to run with, you should run with GOON for this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5pFmey3TB4

Or get the best of both worlds and run with GOON or Goku depending on your mood that evening as many of us do. ;)

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I used to run with GOON until I was removed for inactivity, which is understandable because I wasn't around for like, months. I got real busy with stuff. It was really really really fun! So maybe i'll do both.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In other news, I'm going to have to move K0TH nights to Wednesdays due to real life obligations moving my nights off from Tuesday. Also I'm working a whole lot more so bleh. I'll still be on sporadically though so feel free to hop on if you see me in the K0TH channel! I'm afraid I'm just a defective soul in that, outside of the TORQ of course, I feel like NC guns are better top to bottom so I can only really get jazzed up to play TR when I'm playing it with GOON on alt nights :(

OrangeSoda posted:

I used to run with GOON until I was removed for inactivity, which is understandable because I wasn't around for like, months. I got real busy with stuff. It was really really really fun! So maybe i'll do both.

That's weird, to the best of my knowledge no inactivity purge has been done. Just hop in the mumble and we'd be happy to have ya back

v v v possible but that was over a year ago and he said months, and anyway GOON -> LWTX was never compelled, it was LWTX that the mass kickings took place in.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 28, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

That's weird, to the best of my knowledge no inactivity purge has been done. Just hop in the mumble and we'd be happy to have ya back

It could have been during the dark times which shall not be spoken.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

o muerte posted:

It's probably easier for nanites to build reactive armor plating than to synthesize depleted uranium or forge super hard ceramics. The equipment used in planetside isn't built for quality or durability, it's disposable plastic crap churned out by fancy 3D printers in seconds flat. Making soft things is easy, making hard things takes time, pressure, and heat.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Spacedad posted:

That is a very good idea that could be beneficial to both the game and the community

Spacedad posted:

Or get the best of both worlds and run with GOON or Goku depending on your mood that evening as many of us do. ;)
And is also a good suggestion: both GOKU and GOON are active outfits where you will have fun, and both have active alt outfits on TR. There's really no reason to play on your own if you are on Emerald.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Should I go with reload speed or extended magazine for bulldogs?

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Should I go with reload speed or extended magazine for bulldogs?

I'd go with mag size, an extra four shots before you have to reload is better then -.75 seconds off reloading six rounds.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Magsize upgrades generally provide more efficient reloads than reload speed upgrades, in addition to being more useful in most practical situations. I could be wrong but I think the only exceptions to this rule are Walkers and ESF stock noseguns.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

If you're certing out air Bulldogs, keep in mind they're getting nerfed this week.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Westy543 posted:

If you're certing out air Bulldogs, keep in mind they're getting nerfed this week.

Nah, these are sunderer bulldogs.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

OrangeSoda posted:

No. Choose a family. Blood pact. Kill you if you leave.

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

So it seems like the game turned into Farming Simulator 2014 and I managed to miss out on it due to stupid real life obligations. Why did I have to choose this weekend to get engaged? Stupid, weak human emotions.

In an unrelated note, did that 200 cert gift come through this week? I've only really been logging on for my welfare certs, and haven't been paying much attention to my notices. Is there a website that tracks cert gains or anything?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Westy543 posted:

Link?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/test-server-update-notes-7-1.192092/

People say the Sunderer one won't be nerfed but it clearly is getting a nerf. It'll still be pretty good.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Wow. It looks like they're making armor pretty poo poo against infantry. I don't understand why.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It was my understanding that they posted that and then got blown over by all the playerbase farting at their dumb fixes, and they changed the plan?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone should photoshop a vanu helmet onto the professor from Futurama saying "i don't want to live on this planet anymore"

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Is it me or did the prowler get a much smaller AP nerf compared to the others? lightning -200, magrider -265, vanguard -275, prowler -50x2=-100. They changed the blast damage by half, does that affect actual damage? Based on these changes I am expecting less AP and more HEAT instead. Ignoring the blast damage changes why does the prowler assuming both shells hit do 2400 when the magrider does 1600? That means they literally do an extra third of the damage.

Aaod fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I can understand the nerfs to HE but why nerf AP? You trade a whole lot of versatility for the ability to kill vehicles well. Now there's not a lot of reason to run AP over HEAT or HE :confused:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's an old post, the AP nerf has since been reverted on the grounds of being completely insane top to bottom

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

That's an old post, the AP nerf has since been reverted on the grounds of being completely insane top to bottom

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Someone should photoshop a vanu helmet onto the professor from Futurama saying "i don't want to live on this planet anymore"

"Good news everyone!" SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Locked thread