Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

Units that have the pilot (X) keyword may be played from hand as a Pilot enhancement attached to a friendly Vehicle unit by paying resources equal to X – the unit’s pilot cost.

For example, Derek “Hobbie” Klivian (Ready for Takeoff, 699) possesses the pilot (1) keyword. By paying one resource, you may attach "Hobbie" to any friendly Vehicle unit. The attached Vehicle is considered to be “piloted,” and "Hobbie" is “piloting” the Vehicle. Piloting your Vehicles is critical, since many new units feature powerful abilities that only activate while they are piloted or piloting. Of course, you are never required to use a unit as a pilot, and you may play “Hobbie” as a unit by paying his resource cost.

Pilots are enhancements when they are played as Pilots, and only play as pilots from your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Pilots are enhancements when they are played as Pilots, and only play as pilots from your hand.

So I missed the key sentence :v:

So Hobbie has no icons, just a text box when his is Piloting, correct?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

So I missed the key sentence :v:

So Hobbie has no icons, just a text box when his is Piloting, correct?

Yeah it seems like he just fulfills the pilot keyword for other cards to play off of, and he returns to your hand when he goes away

edit: VVV yeah.

alg fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 14, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Baron Fel's pilot ability shouldn't be in parenthesis. It made me think all pilots gave that ability.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PJOmega posted:

Baron Fel's pilot ability shouldn't be in parenthesis. It made me think all pilots gave that ability.

If they wanted that it would have been italicized, thus making it a rule not an ability.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how I wished this was more of a theme and *poof* here it is. Very excited. However it looks like they're relying on the Pilot mechanic a bit too much. Hopefully there's a lot of stuff that works without being a pilot. It would have been nice if the keyword allowed you to attach things after they're in play, Hobbie can "get in" a ship after he's already in play by paying 1. Piloting should be gravy on an already good thing, or a way to flex a card into a different type of strategy, instead it looks like they're making you use 2 cards to really get *anything* at all. I'm not disappointed, just a little skeptical and hopeful that we'll see some really powerful stuff come out of this to make the Pilot mechanic worthwhile.

Also the best card previewed out there is Lost Master, time to dig out Forgotten Heroes.

I don't know, most of these units look pretty nice even even without the Pilots. I'd be pretty happy to play the 181st Interceptor and Delta One even if I didn't have a Pilot, and the Smuggling Freighter looks pretty standard, but with a nice bonus if piloted. Should be pretty cool!

Also, I wonder if Stay on Target will allow you to play Wedge/Luke/Black Sq Pilot and get their text. It'd be pretty sweet to get those guys on anything, rather then just Fighters/Speeders.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Well hello there, announcement that significantly increases the chance that I'll pick up this game. I wanted a Star Wars game last month, and ended up choosing the X-Wing miniatures game over this (and found myself disappointed, sadly). I'll definitely see about at least trying the core set soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm turbo stoked for the upcoming cycle...I can only hope we'll get some of the characters from the Wraith Squadron books as cards.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMcQigO0rs

edit: not a great set, but nice to get more Rebel ships.

alg fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 15, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMcQigO0rs

edit: not a great set, but nice to get more Rebel ships.

I like it. The objective is good. The cards in set are solid. This would definitely go into a vehicle deck and be pretty helpful. I think it's a set that is going to be better in addition to other sets as opposed to being extremely strong on it's own.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Neat! I was just wondering when we were going to get more Capital Ships for the Independence, too.

Looking at the Independence again, I think it will work on your partner's ships in 2v2. Maybe I'll finally use the Redemption alongside my friend's Rebel deck!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

quote:

A Wookiee's Journey
2 Resources Generated
Smuggers and Spies affiliation only.
5 Damage Capacity
Lowhhrick
4 Cost, 3 Force Icons
S&S affiliation
3 Black Blasters
Character, Wookiee
Elite
Each Wookie unit you control gains black blast
3 Damage Capacity
Loyal Wookie
3 Cost, 1 Force Icon
S&S affiliation
2 Black Blasters, 1 White Blast
Character, Wookiee
Reaction: After a unique Character unit you control leaves play, put this unit into play from your hand.
Heart of a Wookiee
1 Cost, 2 Force Icons
S&S Enhancement
Enhance a Wookiee unit
Enhanced unit gains +3 damage capacity
Faitful Companion
2 Cost, 0 Force Icons
Enhancement
Enhance your play area
Limited
Each Wookiee unit commited to the force gains +1 Force icon.
Echos of the Force

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like the set but I wish it was a 3 unit set, although Faithful Companion does have a resource on it so that's nice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a quick way to figure out exactly how many sleeves I'd need for my collection? I know the packaging has the little guide to "how many packs to buy to have enough sleeves", but that doesn't take partial remaining packs into account, and given that I have a complete collection thus far, I'd be willing to bet that I'd have enough partials left over to shave off a good handful from the "new packs needed" count.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Is there a quick way to figure out exactly how many sleeves I'd need for my collection? I know the packaging has the little guide to "how many packs to buy to have enough sleeves", but that doesn't take partial remaining packs into account, and given that I have a complete collection thus far, I'd be willing to bet that I'd have enough partials left over to shave off a good handful from the "new packs needed" count.

33 packs of 50 will have you covered with a few extras through the next data pack.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

33 packs of 50 will have you covered with a few extras through the next data pack.

You're doing god's work here. Wasn't expecting such an....exact reply. Thanks!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 28, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

You're doing god's work here. Wasn't expecting such an....exact reply. Thanks!

NP. It was pretty easy: each pack comes with 60 cards, and the boxes all have their card count on FFG. Assuming you got 2 cores, and 2 of the first box.

I wouldn't sleeve all the cards personally: Having them in Pro-binders looks neater, and is easier to flip through and find everything. It's especially handy because all the sets, regardless of the box or pack, follow the same numbering series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

NP. It was pretty easy: each pack comes with 60 cards, and the boxes all have their card count on FFG. Assuming you got 2 cores, and 2 of the first box.

I wouldn't sleeve all the cards personally: Having them in Pro-binders looks neater, and is easier to flip through and find everything. It's especially handy because all the sets, regardless of the box or pack, follow the same numbering series.

I just don't have the patience to to sleeve and unsleeve decks as I build them, but would like to have my cards all protected when in play.

My current storage method is a pair of binders (one light side, one dark side) with the objective sets spread out across each row, and its great for deck building...but again, I would have to sleeve a deck as I put it together then unsleeve it to put it back in the binder.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I just don't have the patience to to sleeve and unsleeve decks as I build them, but would like to have my cards all protected when in play.

My current storage method is a pair of binders (one light side, one dark side) with the objective sets spread out across each row, and its great for deck building...but again, I would have to sleeve a deck as I put it together then unsleeve it to put it back in the binder.

Well, have fun sleeving about 1500 cards! :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Well, have fun sleeving about 1500 cards! :v:

The perfect activity to undertake while watching through all of Clone Wars again.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Spoilers from the next pack:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Oh boy! Time to bring on the Ewoks.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Wow, Rash Action is amazing. Rest of the set is kind of good, those Ewoks are going to be drat annoying to deal with. C3P0 is solid great for what he is. Seeds is a nice addition for Smugglers as well.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Wow, Rash Action is amazing. Rest of the set is kind of good, those Ewoks are going to be drat annoying to deal with. C3P0 is solid great for what he is. Seeds is a nice addition for Smugglers as well.

This reminded me; I think it's interesting that each Affiliation has just one set with Echoes of the Force and Seeds of Decay. I'm going to be putting Scouring the Empire in my Scum deck with The Droid's Task, mostly for the extra Echoes of the Force, though Jerac should also be useful. Maybe my Scum deck will actually be able to win the Edge occasionally!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New tournament rules have been posted along with a new FAQ. New tournament rules are now pretty much the same as Netrunner.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Oh man: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4962

This has to be the best art yet.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gat drat that playmat. :allears:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Payout is lame card art to choose for the Scum box. I like that playmat but I want Vader to be pointing his index finger at Boba Fett to emphasize "No Disintegrations". That Leia card art is great, but I can't say I ever see anyone using her so that's kind of suck.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
New spoilers for the next Navy set are out. Intriguing set. Not too sure what to do with it at the moment, but will definately be good once we get into the next cycle. Navy Affiliation only also makes it difficult to work with. Might try it as a one of with the other DS Fighter sets we have at the moment, though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4975

Outrider, a new Y-Wing, Leebo is an amazing pilot...hopefully there isn't a 6 month hiatus before these cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Team Covenant Spoiled the last set of the Force Cycle as well.

Pretty interesting I definitely like the objective itself, Crumb is going to be pretty helpful, the Guards are interesting and the event could be really good in the right circumstance.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4984

alg fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 13, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Last card in the set is Heat of Battle. An excellent set! That Luke could be drat amazing, just the Luke and his lightsaber is a powerful 2 card combo. I love the objective as well, being able to drop enhancements mid-battle will make for some great surprise plays and make it much more worthwhile to run some 1-off objectives that have good enhancements for some toolbox shenanigans.

Also I really like the Speeder Bike. It's criminal that his is a Jedi faction card because they practically never lose an edge battle as it is. Cuts through shielding, and is so cheap for 2 tactics icons.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
New Luke is just a beast. With the right hand you could strike 4+ times with him each round. Also someone pointed out that while the speeder is nice with the whole discard for losing an edge battle those icons are really white.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

frgildan posted:

Also someone pointed out that while the speeder is nice with the whole discard for losing an edge battle those icons are really white.

Most of the time they might functionally act like that but if as we start to see more cards that bring things directly into battle their being black becomes a big deal, and since the next expansion is all about vehicles and pilots I can all but guarantee you'll see something that puts a vehicle into play from your hand or discard and probably directly into battle.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So, almost no talk at GenCon about the LCG and the national champ decks were pretty standard:

DS - Scum Affiliation
2x Vader
2x Palp
1x Saris
1x Council
2x Jawa
2x Wolverine

LS - Smugglers
2x Gamor
2x Luke
2x Leia
2x Yoda
2x C-3PO

I love this game. It's definitely one of FFG's best. But dang does it suck seeing all the announcements for other games and new games and not hearing anything at all about the LCG :smith:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I was going to post about this once I saw more of the games. I'm also glad to see them giving 2v2 some love with playmats and a trophy. I feel like that's something that could draw more people into the game who previously dismissed it over Netrunner or another LCG.

As for the winning lists, I was thinking about that DS list because at first I thought you'd be screwed running with 4/6 split but giving how the deck looks I think you'd probably not worry about hitting those Sith resources as much if you did get locked out. Still I thought that was kind of ballsy, but apparently it didn't bite him in the rear end bad enough to cause him not to win the tournament. I'm going to replicate these decks this week and see how they play. I'd been reading about Jedi/Gamor for a little while, and I thought pure defensive Rebel Assault/Jedi might be better. I like that defensive LS decks are a thing now, I'm hoping that the next cycle of packs will give offensive Navy a real boost.

Someone on the Flip the Force forums called that DS deck "Dark Wolverine", the winner corrected him that it's called "Slaver Sith". I like Dark Wolverine better.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 17, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Just built two decks I'm eager to try. At my league I'm the guy who "experiments" with new/unused cards. My dark side deck is using popular cards, hoping to get the Force and then punish them if they try to take it

Objective: (10)
2x Scouring the Empire (Heroes and Legends 100-1)
2x The Findsman's Intuition (Lure of the Dark Side 106-1)
2x The Plan of the Prophetess (Knowledge and Defense 110-1)
2x The Slave Trade (Knowledge and Defense 111-1)
2x The Droid’s Task (It Binds All Things 121-1)

Light side is kind of trying some kind of fate card shenanigans with ships and pilot Luke:

Objective: (10)
2x A Journey to Dagobah (Core 4-1)
2x The Rebel Fleet (Core 11-1)
1x Hit and Run (Core 18-1)
2x A Hero's Resolve (Escape from Hoth 64-1)
1x Blue Squadron Support (Balance of the Force 92-1)
2x Commando Operations (Lure of the Dark Side 102-1)

If they have any sort of success I'll let y'all know. I always overlook things when deck building, though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, is the Balance of the Force worth it? Do the challenge decks stand up to repeated plays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

So, is the Balance of the Force worth it? Do the challenge decks stand up to repeated plays?

They're pretty darn hard to crack. We haven't been trying very often but maybe with some of the more recent cards they might have some problems. They should be pretty difficult, especially if you're 2v1ing them. I'd say yes.

• Locked thread