Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Countdown to skyactiv ebay headers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Haha. Motor Trend reporting they can't test drive the new Miata because it came with no wheels :v:

WTF 949 :argh:

The first production hovercar!

:haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Countdown to skyactiv ebay headers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nodoze posted:

I don't get why they switched to 4-lug. Really desperate for that weight savings I guess

What do you mean, "switched to 4-lug"? :D

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
"NC is 5-lug", or am I missing a joke?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I ripped out all the heat shield on the exhaust and put in a test pipe. I hope the insulation isn't toxic cuz I breathed a bunch of that poo poo it turned to dust.

Also where should I take the cat so I can get some cash for my crack habit?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Salvage yards buy them just google it for your area. I got 85 for the MSM cat. Don't ask for a telephone quote they want to sample it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I tightened the piss out of the test pipe and it's leaking. Any suggestions? I used new gaskets and some flange sealant and it didn't work :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 22, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Use red RTV?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got some of the copper rtv poo poo. Shoulda known better and just got rtv to begin with.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Got another call from my mechanic about the main seal replacement job. Since the crank bolt was loose for so long, the crank sprocket wiggled enough to let moisture/oil in there and is now frozen to the crank. The whole point of the job was to replace the crank seal to stop an oil leak, but if we can't get that gear off, its a lost cause. He asked for permission to pry against the oil pump, and I ok'd that since those aren't super expensive. The pump case didn't break, but the lip came off the gear and the remainder is still stuck on the crank. I need to get a picture for the mechanical failures thread. He'll give it another night of penetrant and try more heat tomorrow, but if that doesn't work it'll be an engine pull to get a big puller on it.

I figure the car has 155k with a dodgy motor (exhaust timing retarded a tooth for who knows how long) and if it has to come out, I might as well just get another 1.8 with way fewer miles. Does that seem like a better option than rebuilding or trying to fix the current one? I don't mind spending the money if it means the car will be good for another 5 years or so with issues being unlikely. I can't really find a 1.8 local in central Virginia. They go quick with NOVA and Richmond nearby, but a jdm motor with 30-50k on it runs around 1k shipped and drops right in.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
NM, figured it out.

blk fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boogalo posted:

Got another call from my mechanic about the main seal replacement job. Since the crank bolt was loose for so long, the crank sprocket wiggled enough to let moisture/oil in there and is now frozen to the crank. The whole point of the job was to replace the crank seal to stop an oil leak, but if we can't get that gear off, its a lost cause. He asked for permission to pry against the oil pump, and I ok'd that since those aren't super expensive. The pump case didn't break, but the lip came off the gear and the remainder is still stuck on the crank. I need to get a picture for the mechanical failures thread. He'll give it another night of penetrant and try more heat tomorrow, but if that doesn't work it'll be an engine pull to get a big puller on it.

I figure the car has 155k with a dodgy motor (exhaust timing retarded a tooth for who knows how long) and if it has to come out, I might as well just get another 1.8 with way fewer miles. Does that seem like a better option than rebuilding or trying to fix the current one? I don't mind spending the money if it means the car will be good for another 5 years or so with issues being unlikely. I can't really find a 1.8 local in central Virginia. They go quick with NOVA and Richmond nearby, but a jdm motor with 30-50k on it runs around 1k shipped and drops right in.

Why he didn't just put a breaker bar on there and bump the starter or remove the radiator and impact the fucker is :psyduck:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Larrymer posted:

Why he didn't just put a breaker bar on there and bump the starter or remove the radiator and impact the fucker is :psyduck:

Nah, he's a good dude...I might not have explained it well enough. The crank bolt is out. It's just the crank timing belt sprocket/gear/thing that's stuck on there by rust and magic.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 23, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
A new sprocket is fairly cheap, like $30-$50. Why doesn't he just air-chisel the sonofabitch off since it sounds like it's already broken?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Beach Bum posted:

A new sprocket is fairly cheap, like $30-$50. Why doesn't he just air-chisel the sonofabitch off since it sounds like it's already broken?

We just got off the phone and he did end up just cracking it off. 25 years working on cars and he's never had one that stuck before.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 23, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anybody know if you can go back to the early style radio mounting brackets on a later NA?

Getting ready to install an aftermarket deck and the later mounting system sucks rear end, I have no clue why it was changed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yo leica, you better shut your mouth hole if you know what's best for ya, son. Snitches get stitches.

<3

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow where's all the hostility coming from?

Ha

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was talking about the Pontiac Solstice having a dumb battery location on mnet. :P

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Clearly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You better be careful or you're gonna get banned over there :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

Yo leica, you better shut your mouth hole if you know what's best for ya, son. Snitches get stitches.

<3

I thought this was about my FB post and I was like "that dude in my friends feed isn't Leica..."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So the orange NB2 I bought was originally green. Also the battery was hanging out in an inch's worth of water.

A+ would buy a wrecked piece of poo poo again.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I have been staring at this ad on Craigslist ever since it went up.

http://detroit.en.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4580270826.html

No response to emails, but the ad is getting updated every day or so. Whats the chances it is a troll posting, or maybe just an old guy with little internet skills?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Washed and cleaned up the Miata today. Amazing how little time it takes to wash it, but how much every little piece of dirt shows up on a white car.

Scared someone shitless with the airhorn when they started drifting over into my lane (texting, natch). Best investment so far.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Bovril Delight posted:

Scared someone shitless with the airhorn when they started drifting over into my lane (texting, natch). Best investment so far.

What kind of airhorn do you have? I've been thinking about getting one but I've heard some reports that they fail after a while. Some have recommended getting a horn from an old GM or Buick at the scrapyard instead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hikaki posted:

What kind of airhorn do you have? I've been thinking about getting one but I've heard some reports that they fail after a while. Some have recommended getting a horn from an old GM or Buick at the scrapyard instead.

Nautilus air horn. Install is a breeze - undo the old horn's one bolt and 2 wires, install the new one. If you have normal person hands you can just drop the under tray a bit and fit it through there.

This kit has the bracket come with it and it works well.

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/catalog/item/2883780/2380250.htm

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Havent posted a picture in a while.

Car needs a bath, for sure :)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 28, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Havent posted a picture in a while.

Car needs a bath, for sure :)

I am digging the gently caress out of those wheels.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
My son picked up his first car this weekend.

A 1990 in need of some TLC. This is the good side. The driver's side door needs replacing as does the rear license plate panel. The interior is a bit tattered but nothing a cheap carpet kit and some trim pieces from the junk yard won't cure. Mechanically it's sound which is the important part. He also got a pretty decent price on it. I told him he could fix a couple things, freshen it up, and probably double his money. He seems to like it too much as-is to do that though. :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Kill-9 posted:

A 1990 in need of some TLC. This is the good side. The driver's side door needs replacing as does the rear license plate panel. The interior is a bit tattered but nothing a cheap carpet kit and some trim pieces from the junk yard won't cure. Mechanically it's sound which is the important part. He also got a pretty decent price on it. I told him he could fix a couple things, freshen it up, and probably double his money. He seems to like it too much as-is to do that though. :)

That's a great first car. Reliable, easy to work on, good parts availability, not a lot of power but fun to drive... good choice.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

meatpimp posted:

That's a great first car. Reliable, easy to work on, good parts availability, not a lot of power but fun to drive... good choice.

Exactly what I told him. He's been saving up to buy for a while now and this one came along well under his budget at $1500. I told him if he didn't buy it, I would. The guy selling on CL had a list of buyers scheduled to show up every 1/2 hour on Sunday and we were the first in line. I'm sure there were more than one upset person behind us that got 'Sorry, it sold' messages yesterday morning.

My son now has cash left over for fixes and upgrades. I suggested that at his end of the market he's better off finding something a bit cheaper and having money left over to fix minor issues than maxing out his budget and having nothing for the inevitable breakage. We'll probably do timing belt soon as a first bit of preventative maintenance as we don't have a record of when it was done last. The engine appears to have been taken care of but we don't have records so I'd rather get it out of the way on onto a regular schedule.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A $1500 Miata would look a hell of a lot worse than that here. That's a drat steal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Plenty of money left over for some Dunlop Z2s and autocross entry fees. :getin:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Do the spark plug wires and valve cover gasket (Oem mazda on these two parts, I learned the hard way) making sure to note the order you tighten the bolts securing the gasket properly. (First the center ones, go around the perimeter, then back to tighten the center ones again)

Also having the timing belt and water pump, tensioners, cam angle sensor O ring and front main seal done should be project 1. If there really is a good amount left in the budget buy an eBay clutch kit and a new rear main seal, make it a father-son project. A lightweight flywheel is money well spent here. After that replace all the coolent hoses. If all of that is done you should never need to worry about anything mechanical for years.

Misfires will be your main failure (miatas eat spark wires every 15,000 miles or so) followed by oil leaks and coolant leaks.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 28, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kill-9 posted:

Great choice! Dunno what his budget was, but going up to $2k wouldn't guarantee you a perfect car, while $500 go a long way to fixing a miata.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Great choice! Dunno what his budget was, but going up to $2k wouldn't guarantee you a perfect car, while $500 go a long way to fixing a miata.

His budget was $2500. We figure $1K will do just about everything on MattD1zzl3's list up there and he'll have a very reliable auto for getting to and from college for several years to come.

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
Hello Miata friends! Should I sell my Miata?

1995, 210k miles

-New flyin miata vmaxx + sway bars
-M2 hard dog roll bar
-less than 10k on new water pump plus belts
-new radiator
-all plumbing rubber replaced
-rebuilt shifter

The bad things

-front star specs on cords, needs alignment (rear tires have good rubber left)
-haven't installed new camber bolts and swaybar at rear
-handbrake likes to drag sometimes on left rear
-jetski (?) battery connected with jumper cables

I'm asking for $3500-$4000 around the SF bay area.

If I do sell it for around asking price I will only end up buying another one in a year or so. So should I just put this one into hibernation taking up parking space or should I buy a well sorted one down the line?

turdriver fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Horn stopped working in my NA. Brake lights still work which means it's not a fuse, right? I haven't had a chance to actually get in the car since i noticed last night.