Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Jessica's/Lafayette's boyfriend is going to turn Leddie-Mae in that garden or something I bet. In reality I don't really see the point of this whole loving season.

They could have killed off the vamps entirely with hep V and it could have shown very heavy handedly that humans were the real monsters all along. But now that Sarah 'Newme' Newlin is a literal walking antidote I'm not sure what is going to happen. Eric is probably going to drink her blood and be cured, the Yakuza should be kidnapping her and making antidotes or something. So after Hep V is gone the bad guy is..... Violet?

Is Violet really going to be the final boss of True Blood?

And why the gently caress did Sarah's sister answer the door so loving casually knowing that her sister is hiding out there?

I need Ja Rule to come help me make sense of all this

Yeah, I mean the individual episodes are decent to good but overall this is very anti-climactic. There were about a thousand different routes they could've taken this show from S5-onward and they consistently chose the most boring ones. The fairies were "harvesting" humans at the start of S4, but what the hell happened to that? Queen Mab could easily have been the Final Big Bad and launched some sort of invasion on humanity for loving vampires and banishing the fairies or somesuch, what a waste of an interesting character. And don't get me started on Billith, how goddamn anti-climactic was that? What did the Vampire Goddess do anyway, possess a milquetoast 200-year old vampire Average Joe and have him save like ten vampires? Her plan loving sucked because now thousands of vampires are dead. okay.

I hate to sound like a dick, but Stephen Moyer has had a ton of input since Ball left and I strongly suspect he's part of the reason why everything now seems to center around Bill whereas before Ball left it was kind of the other way around. I recall reading some kind of article that hinted he wasn't comfortable seeing Paquin getting physical with other guys in the set which is kind of dumb given the show they star on.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Everyone hates Lettie Mae but Adina Porter should be commended for her performance. It's not easy to create a character so utterly unlikable and with no redeeming qualities whatsoever but Porter sells it. Lettie Mae isn't a character you love to hate, like say Joffrey on Game of Thrones, she's a character you loving hate. Just the sight of her is enough to infuriate most people. The revulsion we feel is very real. As a native of South Louisiana, I knew people like Lettie Mae, right down to the unsavory manner in which she speaks. I'm not entirely convinced the character isn't based off of a woman I knew years ago; the resemblance in both appearance and demeanor is uncanny. True Blood got a lot wrong about Louisiana but what it got right hits way too close to home.

We hate Lettie Mae because she's real. The same can be said about other hated characters True Blood has given us. Arlene, Melinda and Joe Lee Mickens, Debbie Pelt, Crystal, and the Rattrays are not so much caricatures of southern people as they are lifelike depictions of certain types of actual people, all of whom could probably be seen on reruns of Cops, and they all live in the Uncanny Valley of Bon Temps.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brennan posted:

I'm just curious, instead of killing the lawyer why not just transfer his liquid funds to accounts for Jessica and sign over his property before he dies? That seems like it would be faster than winding through the court system

I can get pretty deep into this, but the short answer is lifetime gift exceptions and huge amounts of taxes due to ownership changes. Bill is not a legal guardian or parent of Jessica so any ownership changes or gifts to her would be taxed after he spent his initial "lifetime" gift amount. So anything over a million dollars in fair market value would have gift taxes due.

I knew my series 7 would come in handy eventually!

edit:
Looks like the lifetime exception amount actually went up to 5.3mil in 2014....what year is it in the show again?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 28, 2014

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

You'd think the doctors would have noticed that Sookie has no blood type.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
This makes is make even less sense. 'Oh no, Jessica would have to pay some taxes on whatever he left her over 5 million; how will she ever afford that silly house in the middle of nowhere and her extravagant sun dress addiction?!' So if he had 20 mil, she'd only get about 15? The horror...

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
Looks like the lifetime exception amount actually went up to 5.3mil in 2014....what year is it in the show again?

2010~

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Acinonyx posted:

This makes is make even less sense. 'Oh no, Jessica would have to pay some taxes on whatever he left her over 5 million; how will she ever afford that silly house in the middle of nowhere and her extravagant sun dress addiction?!' So if he had 20 mil, she'd only get about 15? The horror...

Yeah, but she could have 18 million if she was adopted! Also spread across 500 or so years that 18mil may not be enough for her to live a nice lifestyle with out proper investments. So when everything is said and done, True Blood is a screwy show that never makes sense and Bill is and always has been an idiot.

Ok, so it would only be a 1 million exemption. Still, this is way more thought than the writers put into it.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 28, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I still think its really weird how many people were offended about the lawyer. Vampires have been killing humans since the first episode, just because its funny or awesome to watch. I was being a little flippant, and she probably didn't deserve to literally die, but neither did dozens of other humans, and no one mourned them in this thread.

Now I'm really wondering, does the Yakuza and the corporation want Newme for revenge, or did they know about the antidote already? Cowboy only agreed when Eric said they could have the body.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

wordsauce posted:

Everyone hates Lettie Mae but Adina Porter should be commended for her performance. It's not easy to create a character so utterly unlikable and with no redeeming qualities whatsoever but Porter sells it. Lettie Mae isn't a character you love to hate, like say Joffrey on Game of Thrones, she's a character you loving hate. Just the sight of her is enough to infuriate most people. The revulsion we feel is very real. As a native of South Louisiana, I knew people like Lettie Mae, right down to the unsavory manner in which she speaks. I'm not entirely convinced the character isn't based off of a woman I knew years ago; the resemblance in both appearance and demeanor is uncanny. True Blood got a lot wrong about Louisiana but what it got right hits way too close to home.

We hate Lettie Mae because she's real. The same can be said about other hated characters True Blood has given us. Arlene, Melinda and Joe Lee Mickens, Debbie Pelt, Crystal, and the Rattrays are not so much caricatures of southern people as they are lifelike depictions of certain types of actual people, all of whom could probably be seen on reruns of Cops, and they all live in the Uncanny Valley of Bon Temps.

Lettie Mae is a very realistic feeling character for the most part, she just feels so out of place in True Blood and every scene with her is a total downer at no benefit to the show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

wordsauce posted:

Everyone hates Lettie Mae but Adina Porter should be commended for her performance.

This is really true and it was really noticeable this episode. As much bad acting (and writing) as this show has, it does have some really good actors hidden in there.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

wordsauce posted:

You'd think the doctors would have noticed that Sookie has no blood type.

They did when Bill almost killed her coming from Russell's in Missouri.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

They did when Bill almost killed her coming from Russell's in Missouri Mississippi.

That's my point. When Sookeh was hospitalized in season three, the doctors were baffled that she had no discernible blood type. The doctors at the clinic should have discovered the same thing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

ultramiraculous posted:

I dunno but we saw the kid's butt so whatever.

true blood.txt right here

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

wordsauce posted:

That's my point. When Sookeh was hospitalized in season three, the doctors were baffled that she had no discernible blood type. The doctors at the clinic should have discovered the same thing.

Not really. Routine blood testing for infectious disease doesn't require blood typing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but she could have 18 million if she was adopted! Also spread across 500 or so years that 18mil may not be enough for her to live a nice lifestyle with out proper investments. So when everything is said and done, True Blood is a screwy show that never makes sense and Bill is and always has been an idiot.

Ok, so it would only be a 1 million exemption. Still, this is way more thought than the writers put into it.

I think they hinted at the problem being is that since he's technically dead, it's questionable whether or not he even owns anything.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harry posted:

I think they hinted at the problem being is that since he's technically dead, it's questionable whether or not he even owns anything.

That issue would come up way earlier though, how is he paying for his house/car/phone? Is all his money in a bank account, where do the proceeds for his book go? As long as that money exists he can give it to her.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They went over this with the Queen of Louisiana.

While they were in the coffin, most of them hid their assets.

When they were revealed, the IRS came after them hard for taxes on their property. The Queen, for instance, went bankrupt.

Bill's issue is he wrote his will when he was technically dead and the late Governor got a bill passed saying dead people can't write wills.

So vampires can own property but can't transfer it to anyone once they've become a vampire, and the government is seizing assets from dead vampires in similar situations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I still think its really weird how many people were offended about the lawyer. Vampires have been killing humans since the first episode, just because its funny or awesome to watch. I was being a little flippant, and she probably didn't deserve to literally die, but neither did dozens of other humans, and no one mourned them in this thread.
Um I was totally rooting for the Governor. He did nothing wrong.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I guess this is where Bill marries Sookeh so that she becomes owner when he dies only to find out he'll beat the disease and they will stay married anyway....loving true blood.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That 10 million quote sounds like its the price the lawyer has to pay the dirty bureaucrats in the state to cut the line, with probably 30%-50% agent's fee.

I hope in the last episode Anna Paquin and Steve Moyer wheel out their real life twins to set the new height in sharp jumping.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Why would he need a will anyway? I would have thought the vamps would have used trusts and corporations, along with dead babies to hide their money and houses. Taking over a corporation or trust would be very easy.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Because TB writers didn't think about it and neither should any of you.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

whatever7 posted:

I hope in the last episode Anna Paquin and Steve Moyer wheel out their real life twins to set the new height in shark jumping.

Yeah. That's right. I'm being a grammar nazi first thing in the morning :colbert: Does that count as grammar nazi-ing when I'm correcting autocorrect and making up words like nazi-ing?

Also, I didn't know that they had twins.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bored posted:

Yeah. That's right. I'm being a grammar nazi first thing in the morning :colbert: Does that count as grammar nazi-ing when I'm correcting autocorrect and making up words like nazi-ing?

Also, I didn't know that they had twins.

I actually noticed that error but I didn't think anyone would mind some rear projection tv jumping.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

joebuddah posted:

Why would he need a will anyway? I would have thought the vamps would have used trusts and corporations, along with dead babies to hide their money and houses. Taking over a corporation or trust would be very easy.

Bill was probably thinking about that exact question while he murdered 2 people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sober posted:

Don't you have to kinda fight to be decent at fighting off a (I'm guessing somewhat older, not much older) vamp? Like even if Stephen Root's vampire were 200 years old I doubt he did much fighting that even Jessica could kick his rear end, since she apparently can put up a fight. I'm guessing Violet would whoop her easily considering how often she goes about saying she lived in a time where you had to be violent as gently caress.

Also RIP Stephen Root as a schlubby vampire. At least we saw more run-of-the-mill regular vamps in that waiting room.

When Ball was in charge, the show stuck to "rules" more. Vampires got faster and stronger with age, so, say, Bill could barely dodge a bullet at long range, but Eric could easily run around a bullet after it had been shot because of the age differences.

That's what made Russell so dangerous - he was so old that there was nothing anyone around could do to him without ambushing him, simply because he was so much faster and stronger than everyone else. He could clear a room before Eric could move a couple of feet.

Then the show forgot about that completely in the last two/few seasons. For instance, wooden bullets aren't an issue to vampires that are faster than bullets. Jessica and Tara should be pretty much worthless against anyone but weres and humans. Etc. But they just said "forget the rules" and do whatever they feel like, lately, which actually hurts the show (it removes buildup and anticipation).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Darko posted:

When Ball was in charge, the show stuck to "rules" more. Vampires got faster and stronger with age, so, say, Bill could barely dodge a bullet at long range, but Eric could easily run around a bullet after it had been shot because of the age differences.

That's what made Russell so dangerous - he was so old that there was nothing anyone around could do to him without ambushing him, simply because he was so much faster and stronger than everyone else. He could clear a room before Eric could move a couple of feet.

Then the show forgot about that completely in the last two/few seasons. For instance, wooden bullets aren't an issue to vampires that are faster than bullets. Jessica and Tara should be pretty much worthless against anyone but weres and humans. Etc. But they just said "forget the rules" and do whatever they feel like, lately, which actually hurts the show (it removes buildup and anticipation).

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I'm pretty sure the show's casual disregard for its own rules has been true since like season 2 or 3. I mean, didn't Bill solo kill the Queen of Louisiana? She was older than him. After season 1, there was never really a point where this show was intelligent. It's just been varying degrees of insane.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Nichael posted:

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I'm pretty sure the show's casual disregard for its own rules has been true since like season 2 or 3. I mean, didn't Bill solo kill the Queen of Louisiana? She was older than him. After season 1, there was never really a point where this show was intelligent. It's just been varying degrees of insane.

The one that kills me might not be a technical violation, but is definitely a practical one: Bill glamoring someone to get around the lack of an invitation. It means nothing if you can just Jedi mind trick them into giving you one.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Nichael posted:

He didn't. I think he told Nan what was happening in advance and she showed up with a team of snipers that then shot Sophie-Anne.

...whatever happened to Bill being the vampire king anyway? They've totally forgotten about that poo poo. It's not even a thing anymore. The reason why season 1-3 were so entertaining and yes, actually good, was because they stuck to the rules for the most part and it made the universe they'd built up fairly compelling.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

He didn't. I think he told Nan what was happening in advance and she showed up with a team of snipers that then shot Sophie-Anne.

...whatever happened to Bill being the vampire king anyway? They've totally forgotten about that poo poo. It's not even a thing anymore. The reason why season 1-3 were so entertaining and yes, actually good, was because they stuck to the rules for the most part and it made the universe they'd built up fairly compelling.

The entire vampire government seems to be kaput, especially considering the disarray hepv has thrown their world into.

That's also presumably why Tara/Jessica were effective in the vampire battles recently, infected vampires are super weakened, as they've been showing recently with Eric.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

nooneofconsequence posted:

Um I was totally rooting for the Governor. He did nothing wrong.

This, without any irony. Vampires are a scourge and shown they should be eliminated over and over again. gently caress all of them. Even the 'good ones' once in a while end up covered in blood surrounded by half a dozen corpses saying 'Didddd I doo thaaaaaat? :haw:'

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twee as gently caress posted:

This, without any irony. Vampires are a scourge and shown they should be eliminated over and over again. gently caress all of them. Even the 'good ones' once in a while end up covered in blood surrounded by half a dozen corpses saying 'Didddd I doo thaaaaaat? :haw:'

If vampire is real, human should round up and kill most of them and leave a few mid to low tier vamps in the lab to harvest the ageless gene.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

whatever7 posted:

If vampire is real, human should round up and kill most of them and leave a few mid to low tier vamps in the lab to harvest the ageless gene.

Or, for that matter, there should be a supply of vampire blood at every hospital (or a vamp on staff), and EMTs should carry vials of blood with them while they're on duty.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Captain Mog posted:

Do you not remember the whole season where the authority was systematically destroyed on every level?

socialsecurity posted:

That issue would come up way earlier though, how is he paying for his house/car/phone? Is all his money in a bank account, where do the proceeds for his book go? As long as that money exists he can give it to her.
Haven't vampires being around still technically a "new" thing in the true blood world? I don't think when they were signing up for this stuff they checked "vampire" instead of "human". That and how unlikely it is to have a death certificate when you turn into a blob of blood would make it hard to pass tings on. Obviously, I doubt the true blood staff thought too hard about this.

Harry fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 30, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's been 20 years or so at least since they revealed themselves to the world, they were selling tru-blood at the video store in the 90's flashback so you think that these sorts of things might have come up in that period.

I still enjoy the show but breaking the previously adhered-to rules of the universe is a real letdown, the consistency of the first few seasons really impressed me but now the show seems to be going the Dexter route of "yeah that works, gently caress it let's break for lunch" school of production.

There are still 4 episodes, plenty of time for any or all of the characters to become lumberjacks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomCheese posted:

It's been 20 years or so at least since they revealed themselves to the world, they were selling tru-blood at the video store in the 90's flashback so you think that these sorts of things might have come up in that period.
That wasn't the '90s. They took over the video shop in the '90s, but that final flashback where Ginger came up with the idea to turn it into a nightclub was set very shortly before the start of season 1. You can tell because, in season 1, no one in Bon Temps had (knowingly) met a vampire yet because they'd only just found out they existed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tiggum posted:

That wasn't the '90s. They took over the video shop in the '90s, but that final flashback where Ginger came up with the idea to turn it into a nightclub was set very shortly before the start of season 1. You can tell because, in season 1, no one in Bon Temps had (knowingly) met a vampire yet because they'd only just found out they existed.

Yep, and Tru Blood wasn't actually available for sale there until around that time either. Up to that point they were probably just luring random people down to the underground railroad to feed on them unwillingly.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Harry posted:

Do you not remember the whole season where the authority was systematically destroyed on every level?

No I don't but I do remember the season where like five vampire politicians were killed. What about the other vampires kings & queens of each state?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The rules for V have been thrown out too it appears. They used to only do a drop and get high as balls. Jason drank a vial and had to get his dick drained.
Andy would regularly down whole vials in one go.
Now they just drink it straight out of vampire veins and it's like nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

No I don't but I do remember the season where like five vampire politicians were killed. What about the other vampires kings & queens of each state?

You may have missed the part where there was a time-skip since last season, in which time the entire world has been thrown into semi-apocalyptic disarray. Even much more established human governments are barely functional, with entire towns just vanishing off the map and no one noticing, mayors unable to even find anyone in the federal government to contact, etc.

One might imagine that it's been much worse for the vampire governments.

• Locked thread