Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
because you CO was not being honest with you. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Leb posted:

Holy gently caress, this episode is even worse than the last one. I mean, I knew going into this that this wasn't going to be the book, but Christ, these characters, their motivations and their development arcs are pretty much entirely nonsensical.

Yep, this show is losing me. Which given my generally low standards is saying something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is going down the shitter at about the same rate as Last Resort.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

So, uh, did anyone else blink during the Captain's Big drat Speech where, during one of the shot/reverse-shot switches, his voice completely changed tones mid-statement? Because holy poo poo was that shoddy as gently caress. :psyduck:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Generic American posted:

So, uh, did anyone else blink during the Captain's Big drat Speech where, during one of the shot/reverse-shot switches, his voice completely changed tones mid-statement? Because holy poo poo was that shoddy as gently caress. :psyduck:

Pretty standard ADR I would imagine, I notice that sort of thing all the time.

Man that episode was pointless boring filler at its worst.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vodos posted:

all the world's problems are going to be solved by putting on dress whites, praying and shooting magical freedom dust.

How'd you get your hands on classified Navy policy documents?! :tinfoil:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
During the entire episode I thought that opening scene where everyone looks uneasily at each other while the captain takes a shower was one of those "show the end of the story, then show the events leading up to it" sort of things, but apparently not? Did this episode start right as the previous one left off, and they were just getting back to the ship?

Also why is Jayne so upset about eating monkeys? Is that worse than any other sort of exotic meat?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

During the entire episode I thought that opening scene where everyone looks uneasily at each other while the captain takes a shower was one of those "show the end of the story, then show the events leading up to it" sort of things, but apparently not? Did this episode start right as the previous one left off, and they were just getting back to the ship?

I thought that too at first but yeah it was just them getting back from last week. At least it wasn't that sort of frame story, does anyone actually enjoy that storytelling method?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm enjoying this show now
It's a three-pronged attack: sub-liminal, liminal and super-liminal

YVAN EHT NIOJ

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The rudder fell off the ship for me during episode 3's island scene. Haven't seen it since, it would appear I haven't missed anything. Good luck, hope this show pulls itself out of it's rear end.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I thought this episode was fine tbh.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Leb posted:

Holy gently caress, this episode is even worse than the last one. I mean, I knew going into this that this wasn't going to be the book, but Christ, these characters, their motivations and their development arcs are pretty much entirely nonsensical.

What was the problem?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Sir. We wish to reenlist into the navy of a country that no longer exists. Sir.

*Hands CO :911: Flag*

*Captain shoots the traitors*

I thought it was pretty funny they had the fat dude wanting to get off the ship, as if he would survive more than 2 minutes on the shore.

Akalies
May 31, 2000
I've decided I've been approaching this show all wrong. It's not a apocalyptic thriller at all. It's a comedic informational series about what not to do, much like Dr. Seuss' old WW2 Private Snafu shorts.

Sober posted:

What was the problem?

The most obvious was the C.O. completely ignoring the insubordinate panicking guy who was clearly going to go spread a bunch of misinformation to the rest of the crew so that he could dress-down the fraternizing Lt. instead. I get that all fiction is contrived, but having your heroic lead make the obviously worst possible choice just to get to the next plot point is pretty terrible writing.

Still in it for Tex. I really hope they don't dramatic-twist him as a bad guy or something - the dude is charming, and wonderfully breaks stereotypes. Plus I'm fairly convinced that even the character is aware that he's on a bad show, considering he was watching McHale's Navy last episode.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
This show would have been fine if they had kept the summer popcorn flick vibe from the pilot. Now it's starting to take itself too seriously and getting insufferable.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Sir. We wish to reenlist into the navy of a country that no longer exists. Sir.

*Hands CO :911: Flag*

*Captain shoots the traitors*

I thought it was pretty funny they had the fat dude wanting to get off the ship, as if he would survive more than 2 minutes on the shore.

This reminded me of when I was on deployment and word about the possible government shut down was going around. Basically a ton of people were like "If we aren't getting paid, we aren't working." That attitude was going around so much the captain addressed it over the 1MC and basically said it wasn't an option and when the budget did get passed eventually we'd obviously get back paid. It didn't come to that though. I don't think I heard a single person say "well I took an oath".

Second that whole thing about 'we owe you collectively enough for a rhib and some gas take it and go' seems mighty lovely considering the fact that they don't charge you for the ride off the boat at the end of enlistment or even if you are being kicked off the boat due to judicial reasons.

Needless to say I think there would have been at least one or two guys who would have said FTN I can make it on my own and I need to help my family and left.

Taking an Oath to a country that might not exist and thinking you'll get paid one day in what may now be worthless money? Some real drat patriots out there.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'm watching this for the same reasons I watch Falling Skies, summer and all that, but seriously this poo poo is checking boxes on cliches I didn't even know existed. Rhona Mitra not being a stone cold badass is a total waste but I do love Tex. I like the actor but the character is a diamond in a turd.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's a pretty fun show, I'm enjoying the hell out of it although it's action is better than it's drama.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The only smart thing they did right was when the captain ordered a lockdown when the guy got sick.

I don't understand how people were freaking out about the doctor throwing out dead monkeys. Hell, I don't even see where the controversy in that is or why that would be something that would be seen as suspicious and/or needed to be done in the cover of night. The crew knows there's a research scientist on board working on the cure. They know they needed to capture monkeys for her to experiment with to create a vaccine. Does the crew seriously not know how science works and that monkeys are probably going to die when they get to the point where they're experimenting with vaccines? What did they think was going to happen? And the captain coming out and all but telling the crew that they've found a cure? Come on.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel the same about the monkeys but honestly a lot of people are pretty stupid about science, even smart people.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Almost didn't start seeing this series after some goons compared it to "Last Resort". It's no where near as bad as that show, which became painful to watch after even 2 episodes.

:frogout:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Batham posted:

Almost didn't start seeing this series after some goons compared it to "Last Resort". It's no where near as bad as that show, which became painful to watch after even 2 episodes.

:frogout:

Didn't Last Resort end with Andre Braugher laughing like a maniac and going down with his ship?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Party Plane Jones posted:

Didn't Last Resort end with Andre Braugher laughing like a maniac and going down with his ship?

Yep, after putting on a pair of sunglasses, "Deal With It" -style.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Gonz posted:

Yep, after putting on a pair of sunglasses, "Deal With It" -style.

Yup, the outro of Last Resort was actually decent. So was its intro though, everything that happened in between... no so much I'd say.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

wormil posted:

It's a pretty fun show, I'm enjoying the hell out of it although it's action is better than it's drama.

The show would be a bit better with more focus on action, the dramatic stuff is okay in support of a potentially action-packed and interesting plot, but when pointless dramatics takes up the whole episode with the plot going nowhere, as in the latest ep, it does not make for a compelling show. Hopefully the final few eps of the season get into gear.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Taking an Oath to a country that might not exist and thinking you'll get paid one day in what may now be worthless money? Some real drat patriots out there.
I know the actual point got muddied by the awful plot line it was a part of, but the whole idea delivered by Captain one-expression, is that they are no longer there to get paid, but SAVE THE WHOLE GODDAMN WORLD HOOORAAAAHH.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only smart thing they did right was when the captain ordered a lockdown when the guy got sick.

I don't understand how people were freaking out about the doctor throwing out dead monkeys. Hell, I don't even see where the controversy in that is or why that would be something that would be seen as suspicious and/or needed to be done in the cover of night. The crew knows there's a research scientist on board working on the cure. They know they needed to capture monkeys for her to experiment with to create a vaccine. Does the crew seriously not know how science works and that monkeys are probably going to die when they get to the point where they're experimenting with vaccines? What did they think was going to happen? And the captain coming out and all but telling the crew that they've found a cure? Come on.

Dead monkeys = vaccine not working. That was the dumb premise behind that.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
If you like Tex go see Drive, the 1998 action movie with Marc Dacascos. It's really fun and John Pyper-Ferguson plays a cowboy assassin with an RV and rocket launchers.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CeeJee posted:

If you like Tex go see Drive, the 1998 action movie with Marc Dacascos. It's really fun and John Pyper-Ferguson plays a cowboy assassin with an RV and rocket launchers.

Oh I just saw that recently and I didn't even realize that was him. Fantastic movie I agree, everyone who likes action movies should watch it. Action packed and fight scenes are truly amazing.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Now you made me think of the Nathan Fillion show that was cancelled 4 episodes in by Fox and the final 2 episodes being bumped twice and ultimately never aired or even released on DVD.

:(

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Khablam posted:

I know the actual point got muddied by the awful plot line it was a part of, but the whole idea delivered by Captain one-expression, is that they are no longer there to get paid, but SAVE THE WHOLE GODDAMN WORLD HOOORAAAAHH.

In the Navy they say Hooyaah. The Marines say Hooraah.

Im sure we'll see this issue again when at some point there will be a mutiny or other command power play.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
No pleasing some folks. Action episode? Dumb jingoistic bullshit. Last ep? Boring filler WHERE'S MY ACTION. Like it seems totally plausible that they'd need something to believe in to keep going. And they had to do more than just tell them to follow orders. I expected the show to never really bring up a possible mutiny because the military is special etc etc better than human/civvies so good on the showrunners for doing so.

Now the directing and cinematography on the other hand...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Oh I just saw that recently and I didn't even realize that was him. Fantastic movie I agree, everyone who likes action movies should watch it. Action packed and fight scenes are truly amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX-BQoYsG6Y

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

VBane posted:

Now you made me think of the Nathan Fillion show that was cancelled 4 episodes in by Fox and the final 2 episodes being bumped twice and ultimately never aired or even released on DVD.

:(

that show was amazing :rip:

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Damiya posted:

that show was amazing :rip:

Firefly ?

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I like this show. They are off to rescue a Jamacian girl with the Russians on there way to attack yet again. Its more like BSG and its got cute navy dudes.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
oh poo poo the helicopter is back for a surprise appearance

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I love how the captain has to attend every single mission they go on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Acquilae posted:

the captain is just a big star trek fan

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Acquilae posted:

are you complaining about adam baldwin's justification for being on the show??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
helicopter about to blow up

e: oh poo poo, rused

• Locked thread