Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

No direct number would be absolutely horrible because everyone would know why it happened and any percentage would be easy to figure out the direct number for because we have the initial figure.

They'll give the whole number because they really don't have a choice. Prepare for Network spamageddon tonight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah they promised the Network number on these quarterly calls, there's no way they can't deliver it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The big trade off inherent to going public is that you have to be completely transparent to your investors, so yeah, they have to reveal the number.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
They needed 1 million to break even with complete cannibalization of their PPV business, or was that only partial cannibalization? As far as I know, people are still buying the PPVs, but realistically it can't be as bad as the hyperbole here seems to be making it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Xenoletum posted:

They needed 1 million to break even with complete cannibalization of their PPV business, or was that only partial cannibalization? As far as I know, people are still buying the PPVs, but realistically it can't be as bad as the hyperbole here seems to be making it.

WWE predicted that the PPV market would die, but they did not expect it to be this year at all.

So I would guess that whatever numbers they gave when they launched accounted for more PPV buys than they are currently getting.

I may be wrong though!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the break even was at 1 million before they were all but completely purged from American PPV. their new break even number because of that is somewhere in the 1.3 million range.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Xenoletum posted:

It was with a smaller cannibalization than they've experienced so far so the break even is higher.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well it was a good run, atleast they outlasted TNA

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Punk did a run in on Daniel Cormier's interview on the MMA hour just now, posting here since it's not relevant to WWE discussion :D

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm constantly amazed by Steve Austin's knack for recall. The amount he's able to pull from scraps of detail in Ken's story is just incredible.

Also, for kicks, here's a crosspost of some gifs with CM Punk at the San Diego Comic Con this past weekend. He looks like he's having so much fun. :3:

WrasslorMonkey posted:

lovely tumblr gifs to the rescue!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Great White Hope posted:

If they don't give an exact number, shareholders will demand an exact number, and probably be even more pissed than they would be at just saying the bad number outright.

If they don't give an exact number they'd probably be in breach of some reporting regulations on the stock exchange.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm constantly amazed by Steve Austin's knack for recall. The amount he's able to pull from scraps of detail in Ken's story is just incredible.

As others have mentioned before, it really goes to show how diplomatic he is being when somebody talks some obvious bullshit and he replies that he can't really remember what happened.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jerusalem posted:

As others have mentioned before, it really goes to show how diplomatic he is being when somebody talks some obvious bullshit and he replies that he can't really remember what happened.

For instance, most of the Russo interview. Austin had such a foggy memory for that I worried that those chair shots were catching up with him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

For instance, most of the Russo interview. Austin had such a foggy memory for that I worried that those chair shots were catching up with him.
And then Russo was like, "when the power went out in that one town that one time,"

"Allantown, Pennsylvania."

(Not the actual town, but the point stands. Dude's playing dumb.)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

THE 10 COUNT EPISODE 65 - IT'S ACTUALLY THE 2 COUNT!
Alternate Title: TNA IS DYING!!!

YOUR HOSTS: Me, The Goog, MRP, KUNGFU GRIP!!!

THE TOPICS:

WE JUST TALK ABOUT RAW AND THE TNA NEWS and before we know it it's nearly 1 AM and we're over an hour in so we end. I liked it.

Edit: Sorry about the edit job in the intro, turned up the dB a bit too much.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 29, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

holy cow meltzer buried cena's work in that match for at least five minutes

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

yea holy poo poo he went all in. Was griping about sloppy work, botches, blatantly called spots, all kinds of poo poo. He said Cena's performance was worse than you'd see on any indy show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

yea holy poo poo he went all in. Was griping about sloppy work, botches, blatantly called spots, all kinds of poo poo. He said Cena's performance was worse than you'd see on any indy show.
Dave doesn't watch a whole lot of indie wrestling I guess

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oatgan posted:

He said with the exception of the new workers on those shows, but still, acting like that was definitely worse than your run of the mill Evolve match is hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't see Cena deliver a single superkick :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Well he went on to say that it was a case of Cena trying stuff he couldn't do, and at least most indie wrestlers stick to moves they can execute (although there are some that don't)

But yeah I haven't heard Dave bury a match like that in a long time haha. I'm going to have to go back and watch it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

triplexpac posted:

Well he went on to say that it was a case of Cena trying stuff he couldn't do, and at least most indie wrestlers stick to moves they can execute (although there are some that don't)

But yeah I haven't heard Dave bury a match like that in a long time haha. I'm going to have to go back and watch it

I sort of wonder what Cena's criteria is for attempting stuff that he can't normally do etc in matches. Like sometimes (most of the time) he'll just have a pretty standard, well worked match, but then throw him in with someone like Cesaro and he suddenly decides he's going to throw out some acrobatics.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrVenkman posted:

I sort of wonder what Cena's criteria is for attempting stuff that he can't normally do etc in matches. Like sometimes (most of the time) he'll just have a pretty standard, well worked match, but then throw him in with someone like Cesaro and he suddenly decides who's going to throw out some acrobatics.

I've noticed that Cena usually does a match like this once per build to a major match. Like IIRC he did one of these in the build to Wrestlemania

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

triplexpac posted:

I didn't see it live and ended up watching it after RAW was over after a friend hyped it up for me and I kind of agree that it wasn't really a special match. Cena trying to do moves he's terrible at isn't anything new, but the only one that really stuck out for me (that I remember) was the hurricanrana, which stands out every time he dumbly pulls it out.

And Cena has always been terrible at calling out spots loud enough for the camera mics to pick it up.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't see it live and ended up watching it after RAW was over after a friend hyped it up for me and I kind of agree that it wasn't really a special match. Cena trying to do moves he's terrible at isn't anything new, but the only one that really stuck out for me (that I remember) was the hurricanrana, which stands out every time he dumbly pulls it out.

And Cena has always been terrible at calling out spots loud enough for the camera mics to pick it up.
And he still won't take Austin's advice to properly apply the STF.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Bryan: ...could all this TNA stuff be an angle?
Dave: gently caress NO

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Today's show was hilarious. Dave's burial of Cena was so thorough that it actually got awkward to listen to.

It's sad that Cena and Hogan never got to wrestle a match because it would've been hilarious if indie-Cena and Japan-Hogan showed up to try and put on a technical masterpiece.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
So who is the promotion Dave alluded to Spike being in talks with about the TNA timeslot? He said it isn't who you'd expect so not ROH, can't be GFW since it doesn't exist, NJPW seems unlikely... thinking about it Traditional Championship Wrestling (have a weekly internet TV show, get good attendances) or House of Hardcore (Tommy Dreamer connection) seem like possibilities.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

So who is the promotion Dave alluded to Spike being in talks with about the TNA timeslot? He said it isn't who you'd expect so not ROH, can't be GFW since it doesn't exist, NJPW seems unlikely... thinking about it Traditional Championship Wrestling (have a weekly internet TV show, get good attendances) or House of Hardcore (Tommy Dreamer connection) seem like possibilities.

AAA USA?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Hmm yeah I guess that would make sense if the El Rey deal isn't exclusive.

edit: They're also the only group I can think of that already produce a show that rivals TNA's production values. It's a loving awful show though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 29, 2014

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

NJPW seems unlikely...

Look, I'm an American. . .

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah they promised the Network number on these quarterly calls, there's no way they can't deliver it.

Wait... there is a quarterly conference coming up?

Do we get an NXT Special Event to go with it? :v:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Rey hasn't taken off so it's possible they could want to put an A-show on Spike to build interest in a B-show on El Rey, but I doubt it.

If it's not ROH, I don't know who it could be other than maybe Gabe, but there are families out there bigger than Evolve/DGUSA crowds so I'm not sure how that would work.

I assumed that one of the two he spoke of was ROH and the other was one you wouldn't expect.

e:^^ I wouldn't be surprised if you see your next NXT live special being right after initial subscriptions expire.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Skunkrocker posted:

Wait... there is a quarterly conference coming up?

Do we get an NXT Special Event to go with it? :v:
This Thursday, as a matter of fact.

If there's gonna be one shortly, it's said to be with the next round of NXT tapings in September.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I feel like being owned by a broadcasting company kinda puts the kibosh on ROH going to Spike unless Viacom buys out Sinclair or something, but I could be wrong I guess.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Bryan: ...could all this TNA stuff be an angle?
Dave: gently caress NO

This show was the angriest I've ever heard Dave. There was one point when Bryan asked him something, and Dave snaps back with something like "Were you even listening to what I said?"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Karmine posted:

I feel like being owned by a broadcasting company kinda puts the kibosh on ROH going to Spike unless Viacom buys out Sinclair or something, but I could be wrong I guess.

I think there have been rumors that ROH could be up for sale for the right price, so in theory ROH is a possibility.

Not one worth really talking about beyond "Well, it could maybe happen", but a possibility.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Karmine posted:

In the past Dave said Sinclair would be cool with ROH getting a bigger TV deal. In the big picture, if a big tv station wants to pay for ROH programming and give ROH more spotlight that would be good for Sinclair's wrestling company and bring in more money, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I still really enjoyed that Cena/Cesaro match. Great for Raw and I would have accepted it as a PPV match. Does Dave have a bone to pick with Cena or is he unbiased?

• Locked thread