Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

In the past Dave said Sinclair would be cool with ROH getting a bigger TV deal. In the big picture, if a big tv station wants to pay for ROH programming and give ROH more spotlight that would be good for Sinclair's wrestling company and bring in more money, so why not?

This. And Sinclair isn't really competing at all with what Viacom does so I can't imagine that being a major issue. There's room for a two-hour weekly show with a one-hour Sinclair program that highlights first-run house show stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Spikeguy posted:

I still really enjoyed that Cena/Cesaro match. Great for Raw and I would have accepted it as a PPV match. Does Dave have a bone to pick with Cena or is he unbiased?
He doesn't like wrestlers audibly calling spots or botching for the sake of trying new moves they haven't gotten down perfectly but Cena's been doing this for some time now.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The Cesaro/Cena match got my all hyped up for Raw so I am still counting it as a good match despite what Big Dave says!!!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cena should probably stick to what he does best and that's punch and do five moves of doom. He is a great performer but he's not great at doing wrasslin moves.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

weekly font posted:

Cena should probably stick to what he does best and that's punch and do five moves of doom. He is a great performer but he's not great at doing wrasslin moves.
He should at least listen to Austin and tighten up on that STF.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

I still really enjoyed that Cena/Cesaro match. Great for Raw and I would have accepted it as a PPV match. Does Dave have a bone to pick with Cena or is he unbiased?

Nobody in the world is unbiased, but I'd say Dave has been more fair to Cena than most internet wrestling personalities.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

John Cena does a great powerbomb

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cena's hurricanrana is really bad I wish he would stop doing it. The dude is really great at power moves, he should stick to pulling out lariats and powerbombs and stop with the sloppy faux-lucha poo poo.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Most people here would probably consider the huricánrana as it's actually done in Mexico 'sloppy'. It's supposed to be a roll up not an impact move. Cena's actually looks fine from that perspective except uh he doesn't actually pin with it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Cena's hurricanrana is really bad I wish he would stop doing it. The dude is really great at power moves, he should stick to pulling out lariats and powerbombs and stop with the sloppy faux-lucha poo poo.

He's too loving big and it always ends up looking like a bad powerbomb counter instead of a rana.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Um, he's clearly doing a Frankencena, not a hurricanrana.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Endless Mike posted:

Um, he's clearly doing a Frankencena, not a hurricanrana.
urricanrana? More like 'Cena-Can't-Rana', amirite? :smug:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He needs to master the squisher IMO.

Cultlife
Jan 1, 2012

Perigryn posted:

He should at least listen to Austin and tighten up on that STF.

I've kinda always assumed he does it so loosely so when kids copy their #1 hero they don't end up cranking each other's necks and choking people out...

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Jeez Meltzer buried Cena so badly there. He's normally one of Cena's biggest defenders. I didn't see the match but I may have to see it now.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's pretty clear (at least to me) that watching all the G-1 shows is making Dave salty toward other wrestling. I had Cena/Cesaro around ***, not MOTYC level at all but also nowhere near deserving of the burial Dave put on Cena. Especially when compared to the actual Bad Match later on the card that they both appropriately hated. Every match I've ever heard Dave dismantle like that was in the negative stars territory, and no one could say that about Cena/Cesaro.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

To be fair to Dave, he's probably tired as hell and irritable since this news cycle has been batshit crazy even without having to cover a bunch of long G1 matches.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I was a little surprised at all the HM nominations it got while other good recent tv matches like the Cesaro/Ambrose match on Smackdown I liked a lot got barely anything, but I guess that's one of the things about a bigger audience and live watching.

Also I am a sucker for dumb weapon spots

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Dave is clearly going crazy with all the workload, judging by him cracking up at Bryan's jokes on this episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

In the past Dave said Sinclair would be cool with ROH getting a bigger TV deal. In the big picture, if a big tv station wants to pay for ROH programming and give ROH more spotlight that would be good for Sinclair's wrestling company and bring in more money, so why not?

Right. Sinclair's entire model of doing business is:

1: Buy local television stations
2: Get into disputes with cable / satellite providers over carriage fees and threaten to take said stations off the air
3: Goto 1

I'm sure they'd have no issue whatsoever making a cable deal for ROH to get the programming in better timeslots than 9 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Timby posted:

Right. Sinclair's entire model of doing business is:

1: Buy local television stations
2: Get into disputes with cable / satellite providers over carriage fees and threaten to take said stations off the air
3: Goto 1

I'm sure they'd have no issue whatsoever making a cable deal for ROH to get the programming in better timeslots than 9 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

Well it's kind of a moot point anyway, since seemingly no one on cable wants to pay for pro wrestling programming .

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
I'm pretty surprised to hear even a rumor that Spike would be considering putting another wrestling program in that timeslot. After this mess, I just assumed they would be done with wrestling altogether.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

ExplodeYourself posted:

I'm pretty surprised to hear even a rumor that Spike would be considering putting another wrestling program in that timeslot. After this mess, I just assumed they would be done with wrestling altogether.

It's spike tv. What else is there?

As far as ROH, that would never work on Spike until those boys learn to slow down and sell, first. Between that and their lack of quality lighting, they won't have a chance.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

As far as ROH, that would never work on Spike until those boys learn to slow down and sell, first. Between that and their lack of quality lighting, they won't have a chance.

And, goddahmut, whatever happened to countouts?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

If you want to cheer up go listen to part two of Austin and Shamrock. His story of the tryout for Pancrase is great

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is Shamrock on Austin's show to plug something? Or just there to shoot the poo poo? I haven't listened to any of it yet

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Is Shamrock on Austin's show to plug something? Or just there to shoot the poo poo? I haven't listened to any of it yet

From what I can tell they're just shooting the poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

It's spike tv. What else is there?

You do realize Spike aired TNA for years and at one point Jeff Jarrett told the X Division to stop selling and move faster like a video game...

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

And, goddahmut, whatever happened to countouts?

They're going to need heels too, but how can you be a heel these days when there's no rules? None of these guys know how to use the ropes!

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

MassRafTer posted:

You do realize Spike aired TNA for years and at one point Jeff Jarrett told the X Division to stop selling and move faster like a video game...

You obviously aren't a Ross Report fan.

What a lucky guy you are.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Jeez Meltzer buried Cena so badly there. He's normally one of Cena's biggest defenders. I didn't see the match but I may have to see it now.

he did say that he likes Cena and that he usually thinks he's better than this, just for whatever reason on that night Cena was garbage

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I guess Spike kicked out of TNA's cover at one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

You obviously aren't a Ross Report fan.

What a lucky guy you are.

When I typed that I knew there was a chance it was from TNAMecca or something, but this is the podcast thread, why would someone post that here? I looked at the next few replies and thought "hey people are making fun of him for having an opinion like Jim Ross, it must be real."

I'm still having trouble believing even Jim Ross is that out of touch.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

poo poo TNA even had a formula for a long time where they wouldn't even air any heat segments. Hot Open -> Cut to Commercial -> FINISH IMMEDIATELY AFTER COMMERCIAL.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

HulkaMatt posted:

poo poo TNA even had a formula for a long time where they wouldn't even air any heat segments. Hot Open -> Cut to Commercial -> FINISH IMMEDIATELY AFTER COMMERCIAL.

That is Russo in a nutshell. He hates matches of any length, just get to the finish already

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

triplexpac posted:

The whole thing seemed to boil down to Austin bringing up Shamrock in a conversation during a podcast, stopping and mumbling,"You know I should really get in touch with Ken, maybe do a podcast with him...." and then actually following up on it.

I really enjoy the shows where he just catches up with somebody because they haven't talked in a while or he's never had a chance to talk to the person at all and he just wants to shoot the poo poo. Nothing being sold or promoted (though Austin always makes a point to promote their e-mails/websites/twitter etc or any work they're currently doing), just a couple of guys talking about wrestling back in the day :allears:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I finally got around to catching Colt's interview with JR and I liked it. They kinda debated in spots about the nature of wrestling and where its going. I wanna see JR's reaction to a Dragon Gate title match now.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

quote:

Vince Russo @pyroballyhoo · 3h

Looking forward to talking with JR in a few hours. very thankful to be on his podcast.

Can't wait for this trainwreck

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The best thing about TNA going out of business is that Mike Tenay will be able to do Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame preview audios again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

coconono posted:

I finally got around to catching Colt's interview with JR and I liked it. They kinda debated in spots about the nature of wrestling and where its going. I wanna see JR's reaction to a Dragon Gate title match now.

Really? That was particularly terrible JR. Sounded like he just woke up and was in rear end in a top hat supreme mode. You could tell Colt didn't agree with most of what JR said, but I just don't think he's a confrontational guy.

• Locked thread