Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also knowing people who patronize or work those kinds of places, the entire community will have all hosed each other in under two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mooyashi posted:

All of those things as separate entities sound like Good Cool Things that, when bunched together within proximity of the dwellings of the people running them seems insufferable. I can only air my white bougieness in small doses.

It's fine if you are an old man in some small town who is carrying on the tradition of hand making some thing or confection and you've been doing it for 60 years like your father and his father before him. It is not cool when it is a 19 year old piece of poo poo whining about how nothing is authentic anymore and we just need to get back to the old ways and your way to do this is to make gumcutting hunks of inedible hard candy at 100x the effort and cost of modern means.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKe9OfWs-M

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
why on earth does it need a tech incubator send those garbage people into the sea

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I do find it hilarious that we've come to 30-40 year olds saying "kids these days" about them doing things in the manner of their grandparents. What a time to be alive.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

It's fine if you are an old man in some small town who is carrying on the tradition of hand making some thing or confection and you've been doing it for 60 years like your father and his father before him. It is not cool when it is a 19 year old piece of poo poo whining about how nothing is authentic anymore and we just need to get back to the old ways and your way to do this is to make gumcutting hunks of inedible hard candy at 100x the effort and cost of modern means.

Remember how there was a D&D thread not too long ago where people were positing that there are no such things as hipsters, and they're just a creation of the media? Good tiiiiiimes...

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

mooyashi posted:

I do find it hilarious that we've come to 30-40 year olds saying "kids these days" about them doing things in the manner of their grandparents. What a time to be alive.

And another swing and miss at succinctly describing contemporary culture. T-minus four posts before someone starts dropping H bombs and talking about Brooklyn. "hipster"

edit: T-plus one.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
For the love of god someone start talking about BBQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheekio posted:

And another swing and miss at succinctly describing contemporary culture. T-minus four posts before someone starts dropping H bombs and talking about Brooklyn. "hipster"

edit: T-plus one.

How many gears does your bike have

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mooyashi posted:

Does anybody know any good bbq in the Santa Barbara area? I've been living here for a year and I don't know where to go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Majorian posted:

Does anybody know any good bbq in the Santa Barbara area? I've been living here for a year and I don't know where to go.

Californians can hang.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
ten bro!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Californians can hang.

deez nutz

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm going to be in Germany next week on a research trip, Koblenz specifically, and since we spend roughly half our time in this thread/subforum derailing about food and talking about how politics have made us all borderline alcoholics, I figured I'd see if any of you had recommendations on beers/places to eat.

Döner, Döner and Döner

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is no good BBQ in California because there is no good anything in California.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Warcabbit posted:

You get better MPG on ethanol-free, too.
Edit: Why would you think Ethanol is environmentally friendly? It's just a bad idea all around. Yes, it's made out of corn, but that just causes other problems.

don't even get me started on corn subsidies or the concept of using edible grains as fuel

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

There is no good BBQ in California because there is no good anything in California.

Watch it or we'll let Michael Bay make another "Transformers" movie.

Also our wine is the best, so gently caress you motherfucker.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i think hating on hipsters is kind of sad, much like it was sad when people hated on [enter previous sub/counter-culture here]. they're just people trying to find authenticity and meaning outside the mainstream norm, a norm that violently crushes the will and individuality of most people. it's a fool's quest, because they're looking for authenticity and meaning in all the wrong places - instead of finding some sort of inner peace and finding their place in the world, they identify as a negative - they aren't part of the mainstream - or long for an idealised notion of society that probably never existed. often, their rebellion merely changes the surface but plays right into the capitalist/consumerist/whatever system. they're right to rebel, but if their intended goal really is authenticity and meaning, they'd be much better off with an internal rebellion, which, even if it doesn't form a platform for external chance, will at least give them a sense of peace.

the ironic part is, of course, that even their failed and misguided attempts at breaking from the mainstream are viciously attacked and capitalised on because society can't tolerate it.

oh well.

e: oh we're talking about döners now. döners are very good. i like döners. another good thing is a dürüm. they are also good.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

You get better MPG on ethanol-free, too.
Edit: Why would you think Ethanol is environmentally friendly? It's just a bad idea all around. Yes, it's made out of corn, but that just causes other problems.

BrandorKP posted:

Need it for marine engines. Also you want ethanol free for small engines like mowers, lawn tractors, or weedeaters. They'll run with 10% ethanol, but they run crappy after a while because of it.

Thanks, I figured there wouldn't be a market if there wasn't a legitimate reason for it, but I wouldn't have guessed people would put coal in their engines just to piss off liberals either.

And yeah, I know biofuel isn't great but I know people who think that because it comes from a plant and is a relatively new thing and isn't oil it must be some hippie nonsense.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

alternately the poo poo our grand or great-grand parents did tastes really loving good.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Remember when Eminem made a song where a big angry mob went out to vote?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mooyashi posted:

Vinegar based or death.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

alternately the poo poo our grand or great-grand parents did tastes really loving good.

My grandparents ate a lot of depression food like liverwurst and pimento cheese because they grew up eating that crap and thinking it was good because that's all they had.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i like seinfeld

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Majorian posted:

Remember how there was a D&D thread not too long ago where people were positing that there are no such things as hipsters, and they're just a creation of the media? Good tiiiiiimes...

not gonna lie i was a bit sore about how lovely that thread ended up being

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

not gonna lie i was a bit sore about how lovely that thread ended up being

Yeah, join the club. I think it probably didn't have enough material to go on for more than a couple pages anyway though.

e: Your OP was good, though, don't take that the wrong way.:)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only interact with D&D through the user control panel so if it ain't this thread, USPol, Political Cartoons, or TexPol threads I ain't seein' it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think sometimes people confuse hipsters for people who are enthusiastic about a craft or something

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Cheekio posted:

Remember when Eminem made a song where a big angry mob went out to vote?
no

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

My grandparents ate a lot of depression food like liverwurst and pimento cheese because they grew up eating that crap and thinking it was good because that's all they had.

My grandfather had a "American Women's" Victory binding cookbook that he used until it fell apart. And good pimento cheese is one of the best things on the planet.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Yeah, when people fetishize the old days from any angle I'm always 0_o. Oh really? Want to come with me to the barber for your medical care? As for making fun of hipsters, there's always someone you're not supposed to make fun of. Rednecks, hipsters, Northern Ireland lottery winners. gently caress that. If it's funny, laugh, just no need to be mean about it.

It's particularly funny here when we have a generation of Thai hipsters though, because they hold farmers markets and artisanal fairs and it's a Goddamn developing country that depends largely on agriculture and I guarantee you 75% of these people have never met a farmer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

I only interact with D&D through the user control panel so if it ain't this thread, USPol, Political Cartoons, or TexPol threads I ain't seein' it.

Here you go.

Dreylad posted:

i think sometimes people confuse hipsters for people who are enthusiastic about a craft or something

Yeah, I like Chris Hardwick's delineation between nerds and hipsters: nerds are people who obsess over unpopular things because they actually like them.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Majorian posted:

Watch it or we'll let Michael Bay make another "Transformers" movie.

Also our wine is the best, so gently caress you motherfucker.
You were going to do that anyway, but honestly that's mostly the fault of other countries at this point.

I am not a movie snob but I couldn't even make it through the first one, I made it to that scene where they're hiding outside the house and the dog pees on one of their feet and I was like gently caress THIS. I also hate the movie Garden State but I watched the whole thing. Dallas Buyers Club also sucked from a reality and political (libertarian / anti-science-establishment) perspective. Obviously there are worse movies out there but those are the three that most stick in my craw.

I am NOT on the same page with ReindeerF in that I like California Mexican food more than Tex-Mex. They are both good though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm finishing off a container of pimento with a spoon right now because of this thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pangstrom posted:

I am NOT on the same page with ReindeerF in that I like California Mexican food more than Tex-Mex. They are both good though.

Literally die.

BrandorKP posted:

I'm finishing off a container of pimento with a spoon right now because of this thread.

Yes but you are used to a diet of salt pork and hardtack so maybe I don't trust your palate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Communist. You're also wrong on Dallas Buyer's Club (the ending sucked). Everything else, agree.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

John Hodgman had an interesting spiel about this in an interview I heard him in once, about how much American dietary habits changed in the post-war period. Suddenly, the cuts of meat that had been previously reserved for the rich became much more mainstream, because every man was a king in his prefab castle. Eating viscera, on the other hand, was completely abandoned by the middle class. (and rightfully so, because loving ew)

pangstrom posted:

I am NOT on the same page with ReindeerF in that I like California Mexican food more than Tex-Mex.

A-loving-men, brother.

zoux posted:

Yes but you are used to a diet of salt pork and hardtack so maybe I don't trust your palate.

The poor man's going to inevitably die of scurvy, zoux; don't twist the knife.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

pangstrom posted:

Dallas Buyers Club also sucked from a reality and political (libertarian / anti-science-establishment) perspective.
huh?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Salt pork is fantastic for making soups, especially of the lentil, pea, or bean variety.

And sailors (atleast US flag) eat incredibly well, like lobster, crab, and steak well. Buncha things are mandated to be served X number of times a month by ILA union contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noo....unions....:eng99:

• Locked thread