Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Seriously, whale is probably the most underrated meat in the world. When it goes bad it goes *really* bad, but a good whale steak with a nice wine and some appropriate garnishments is absolutely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you a Victorian Boston-man?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

No, Norwegian

almost, though

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

Hey guys check out this rice and b-

Have some plantains!

My baseline cuisines are Tex-Mex, Barbecue and Thai. Cuban is basically hosed in comparison.

Okay, when you say plantains are you talking about tostones or maduros?

Also, ReindeerF, how is Cambodian? I'm going to a Cambodian place this weekend and allowing for the likelihood that stateside Cambodian is a whole different thing, I figured I'd solicit input.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know whether or not you should go to the Bay Area, but I do know you should not go to L.A.

I've been to LA twice, I've never been to the Bay, my advice is to go to the Bay. Thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

No, Norwegian

almost, though

Ah well that explains your disastrous taste buds, as all cold weather cuisines are terrible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Here's a multinational thing you'll come to grips with as you spend time overseas. Island nation cuisines suck. For obvious reasons.

Kahlua pig is the bee's knees. Everything else Hawaiian is awful though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
More bars in the Atlanta area are serving boiled peanuts as appetizers. They range from worthless to pretty decent. Please contribute opinions about boiled peanuts (p-nuts) thank you.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

zoux posted:

Ah well that explains your disastrous taste buds, as all cold weather cuisines are terrible.

Yah, Norwegian food is almost uniformly awful. Not whale, though. Whale is fantastic.

e. Also, you will take my fish in various states of decomposition from my cold, dead hands!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Warszawa should make it a part of his trip to follow 538's burrito-bracket recommendation, given that the Bay Area apparently reigns supreme in this department.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

Yah, Norwegian food is almost uniformly awful. Not whale, though. Whale is fantastic.

e. Also, you will take my fish in various states of decomposition from my cold, dead hands!

I think the point is that he would rather not take it at all, thank you very much.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is something weird with strong tasting bad food where people who are brute-forced into liking it in youth end up REALLY liking it. (I am like this with Totino's Party Pizzas.)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

The Warszawa should make it a part of his trip to follow 538's burrito-bracket recommendation, given that the Bay Area apparently reigns supreme in this department.

I left my favorite hat at El Farolito and never got it back.:(

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Majorian posted:

Does anybody know any good bbq in the Santa Barbara area? I've been living here for a year and I don't know where to go.

If you include pit stuff in your definition of bbq then there should be plenty of decent Santa Maria style tri tip places around you. If you want anything outside of that your best bet is to just make your own.

The Warszawa posted:

I've never actually been to California but I really want to go. Not sure whether to go to L.A. or the Bay Area.

The Warszawa posted:

I'm either doing tourism really right or really wrong because my itinerary is always the same:

1) Street food
2) Day drink
3) Historical, cultural, or personal attraction
4) "Good" food
5) Nightlife (see, e.g., 1 and 2)

As an LA native who actually really likes LA, I still usually tell people to do tourist-y stuff in the Bay Area because the Hollywood stuff people normally do is lamest poo poo on the planet and the Bay Area is much more compact and easy to get around. However if you stick with that itinerary and also really like Korean food I'd say come to LA, the food and night life in Koreatown can be quite fun and the Getty museums beat all the cultural institutions I've visited in the Bay Area. Though it'll still suck overall if you don't rent a car, public transportation can get you pretty much anywhere, but the sprawl means that it'll take forever.

ReindeerF posted:

Here's a multinational thing you'll come to grips with as you spend time overseas. Island nation cuisines suck. For obvious reasons.

The glorious island of Nippon begs to differ bakka gaijin. :japan:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did you know that the average human only uses about 10% of their brain.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cafel posted:

If you include pit stuff in your definition of bbq then there should be plenty of decent Santa Maria style tri tip places around you.

Yeah, I've been meaning to hit Rancho Nipomo sometime. If anyone knows something closer to SB itself, though, that would be rad. (if not no worries)

zoux posted:

I think I've heard Morgan Freeman say that in a commercial somewhere.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Morgan Freeman likes to earn money.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

zoux posted:

I always wondered why I could never remember all the best Shrek quotes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ironically, memorizing those is how you activate the other 90% of your brain, but it can only be used to remember Shrek quotes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

That's easy, "parfait"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

I've never actually been to California but I really want to go. Not sure whether to go to L.A. or the Bay Area.

Haha, your description of Thai law school lunch politics was so on the nose I had assumed you went to Berkeley.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

More bars in the Atlanta area are serving boiled peanuts as appetizers. They range from worthless to pretty decent. Please contribute opinions about boiled peanuts (p-nuts) thank you.

People always forget to salt them and that makes me sad.

zoux posted:

It's true, epileptics are basically Superman.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ufarn posted:

why did 538 decide to just exclusively do dumb gimmicky bullshit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Because it's wildly popular on the internet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey guys, why do businesses in our capitalist society pander to the greatest groups of people that will net them the most money instead of esoteric and fringe populations that i belong to??

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Because it's wildly popular on the internet.

if I want a Definitive Ranking of Burritos I have Buzzfeed or Gawker, tyvm

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Hey guys, why do businesses in our capitalist society pander to the greatest groups of people that will net them the most money instead of esoteric and fringe populations that i belong to??

go take a selfie about it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

zoux posted:

I don't know maybe it is because your such a BIG HUGE JERK!?!?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

capitalism? ruin things?

go away you college hippie with a che-shirt!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

zoux posted:

I thought you were Native American?
i could see how people would get that impression, but i am not.

Jagchosis posted:

I'm just curious, but in Westminster what would you say the proportion of Catholics amongst Vietnamese-Americans in that community is? I ask because my fiance's entire extended global family comes from the tiny minority of Vietnamese Catholics. First I'm curious if Catholics made up a disproportionate part of the refugees. Second, because I only ever hear about or deal with Viets that come from a Catholic/filial piety/even more patriarchal family background, and I'm kinda curious what the familial politics are like in Buddhist families.
i have heard that 80% of vietnamese are buddhist, but a slight majority of the diaspora is catholic; nothing to base that on other than hearsay tho. and humans, of all religious traditions and non-traditions, are just kinda patriarchal shits. i'm pretty sure my catholic friends in high school were allowed to go out more than me. vietnamese catholics are nuts on abortion though and surprisingly restrictive on marriage equality, at least from my experiences in high school in houston.

it does remind me that one of my mom's stated reasons that buddhism is better than catholicism is because you don't have to go to church every Sunday. :lol:

Warszawa, if you ever go to the l.a. area, swing by Westminster, it's like an hour south; there is some fantastic Vietnamese food and shopping.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I guess I'm late to this conversation, but if you're going to somewhere in California, just go to the Bay Area. It's got everything you want to see and do, and it's ridiculously easy to get around.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I've tried it several times, but I really don't like falafel. I like chick peas and fava beans, just not fried I guess. Is this a failing on my part?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aurubin posted:

I've tried it several times, but I really don't like falafel. I like chick peas and fava beans, just not fried I guess. Is this a failing on my part?

Are you eating it with a sauce? Because it needs that. Also, it's really bad if it's overcooked.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Aurubin posted:

I was about to say yes, but I realized that I see falafel as more a delivery system for garlic sauce and pickled vegetables than as a food in and of itself.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Majorian posted:

Kahlua pig is the bee's knees. Everything else Hawaiian is awful though.

:( take that back. I know you'd agree saimin is super delicious, if you'd try some. :)

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Joementum posted:

Are you eating it with a sauce? Because it needs that. Also, it's really bad if it's overcooked.

Could of been burnt. Got it from hole in the wall restaurants in NYC with friends who live in the area every time I got it, always tasted like a fried headache.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

TBF, it's a hobby project Nate Silver has had in a long time.

The same can not be said about the article on what you can normally find on the floor of the New York subway.

Vox do it as well, and it just makes them feel like a newspaper-slash-BuzzFeed for the cool kidz.

EDIT: RE falafelchat, if you're ever in Paris, one of the places in the Jewish Quarter has the best loving falafel. Great place to grab a bite.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not sure what else you want from a lifestyle vertical on a data site owned by ESPN than burrito rankings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

TBF, it's a hobby project Nate Silver has had in a long time.

The same can not be said about the article on what you can normally find on the floor of the New York subway.

Vox do it as well, and it just makes them feel like a newspaper-slash-BuzzFeed for the cool kidz.

EDIT: RE falafelchat, if you're ever in Paris, one of the places in the Jewish quarter has the best loving falafel. Great place to grab a bite.

Vox had an ownage story about this Zionist lady getting trolled to hell on an airplane today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone ever made one of the Upshot drinks, and what obnoxious demographic do they normally cater to?

• Locked thread