Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

a cartoon duck posted:

Also I love how things get shoujo as gently caress whenever Haruka's on screen, like that's her only job in the anime.

Haruka and Michiru are such pimps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

What I remember happening in that one was she was pinned down by the monster and the brooch, with her tiara already failing and whatnot from the previous episode, just gave out and broke.
Then she loses her transformation and is sucked into a big white hole with Luna before Queen Serenity gives her the Silver Crystal back and upgrades the Brooch.

The biting thing is from the beginning of S where the monster takes a nibble on it and somehow that fucks the thing up and renders it useless.

What I want to know is why her Tiara suddenly stopped working.

It seems like it still does work and she just doesn't think/the writers don't think to use it. I don't see why it couldn't just get upgraded as her power grows, or remain in her arsenal as a back-up.
Except in Stars, when as well as gaining wings that grow out of her rear end, she loses her tiara entirely and has a golden moon shape right on her forehead like the cats.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The important question here is if anyone has a gif of Bunny using a pizza for a moon tiara attack.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

a cartoon duck posted:

The important question here is if anyone has a gif of Bunny using a pizza for a moon tiara attack.

Then knocking a bunch of poo poo off of her own shelf with the aforementioned wings. That episode is so great.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Finally getting to watch the new episode, I love that the Disguise Pen:

- is given to Usagi entirely because she's jealous of Ami's cool video game prize and WANTS SOMETHING SHINY NOW!

- could just as well have not been there as what really let Usagi break into the school was acting frantic, talking fast, confusing the guards, and just running on in, like a spazzy version of the Doctor (David Tennant joke here).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SystemLogoff posted:

She really is an android. :haw:

Hmmmmm....

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

That 3DS case is awfully tempting now. Also it would be really funny if Naoko got her wish for Ami in the new anime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

So Ami is literally Judge Dredd reincarnated as a teenage girl. Got it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Try Robocop.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So Ami is literally Judge Dredd reincarnated as a teenage girl. Got it.

Robocop.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

My favorite thing about this is that the typo'd "INNOLENT" was fixed to "INNOCENT" in the English dub.

Another random "Ami's a bit weird" thing is if you check the R movie there's some shots of her visor's UI, and all the text is in German.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Immersion is the most cromulent way to learn a foreign language.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ALFbrot posted:

Robocop.
Robocop is basically Judge Dredd.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Robocop is basically Judge Dredd.

Pretend like I was making this joke on purpose.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

aers posted:

My favorite thing about this is that the typo'd "INNOLENT" was fixed to "INNOCENT" in the English dub.

Another random "Ami's a bit weird" thing is if you check the R movie there's some shots of her visor's UI, and all the text is in German.

A further 'Ami's a bit weird' thing is the part in a Stars episode where she hugely impresses the other members of the Juuban High computer club by downloading a document from the Web and sending it to the printer. She says it's information on space engineering from the Harvard University library website, and kindly offers to translate it when the boy it's for says his English isn't very good.

It's the lyrics to 'Highway to the Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins.

Furthermore, in the SuperS episode where everyone's trying to wheedle some info out of Chibiusa about (they think) a boy she's got a crush on, and Chibs says something vague about a horse, Ami and Minako confer over her head, and Minako's like, 'He has a face like a horse? He's ugly?' and Ami's like 'If he's like a horse - no! I can't say something so filthy!' and turns bright red. And Minako's face is blank for a moment and then she looks utterly stunned, like 'Even I wasn't going to go there, Ami.'

And she carries one of those little angled dental mirrors for seeing your back teeth in her purse.

Ami Mizuno: Quietly, under the radar, a bit weird in a lot of ways.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Dove from Above posted:

A further 'Ami's a bit weird' thing is the part in a Stars episode where she hugely impresses the other members of the Juuban High computer club by downloading a document from the Web and sending it to the printer. She says it's information on space engineering from the Harvard University library website, and kindly offers to translate it when the boy it's for says his English isn't very good.

It's the lyrics to 'Highway to the Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins.

I like to think that Ami actually did go out of her way to print out Highway to the Danger Zone, and she's just being a little poo poo because they wouldn't know any better. :haw:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I remember seeing this ad in Mixx back in the day.:allears:

i kinda want that rubik's cube.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

a kitten posted:

i kinda want that rubik's cube.

There's places that will custom print one out there.

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
Holy poo poo I had that CD-ROM! I absolutely loved it, even if I could tell that it was cheap and poorly made as a 10 year old. I particularly loved the "paper doll" part, and it had really ugly outfits to choose from. Too bad I don't have it anymore, I want to dress Usagi in brown-and-mustard polka dot rompers again :(

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

A further 'Ami's a bit weird' thing

The English I'm willing to think is just Japan being weird. For example, there's a load of Adobe read me text in Gundam Wing and a bible in FMA turned out to be a d&d players handbook. Given the alternative is "Don't worry, everything is gonna happy <3" (Full Metal Panic), I'm good for a few sight gags.

Ami having a dirty mind, however, is well documented.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

delirious pancake posted:

Holy poo poo I had that CD-ROM! I absolutely loved it, even if I could tell that it was cheap and poorly made as a 10 year old. I particularly loved the "paper doll" part, and it had really ugly outfits to choose from. Too bad I don't have it anymore, I want to dress Usagi in brown-and-mustard polka dot rompers again :(

I had it too and also unfortunately got rid of it, probably in a goodwill donation purge. Except it barely ran on my computer, and all the minigames didn't seem to give much in the way of instruction. So I just flipped through the dress up and the character bios section. Pretty sure I used the information from those bios in arguments over Ami's dub last name (before Super aired)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

delirious pancake posted:

here's a fan-made flash version of a sailor dressup/senshi creator thing I found a while back, no idea if it has stuff as ugly as you're describing though.
http://dolldivine.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Senshi-Maker-2-0-282309123

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

What I want to know is why her Tiara suddenly stopped working.

It may not have been in the dub but I rewatched the Japanese version recently and Luna says something about how Usagi still deep down inside wants to be a normal girl and doesn't want to be Sailor Moon, and that the tiara won't work again until she becomes fully committed to her duty, or something like that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

QueerPope posted:

It may not have been in the dub but I rewatched the Japanese version recently and Luna says something about how Usagi still deep down inside wants to be a normal girl and doesn't want to be Sailor Moon, and that the tiara won't work again until she becomes fully committed to her duty, or something like that.

I must've missed that as its been quite a while since I watched the beginning of R. It would make sense though!

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Dove from Above posted:

Which is a shame, because I always enjoyed that so much. I liked to imagine him very carefully and seriously practising his rose-throwing, and fantasising that one day he would get to meet Batman and help Batman out of a jam by throwing a rose, and Batman would be like 'These are as good as my batarangs!'
I... I just believe that in his heart Tuxedo Mask has a lot of Batman fantasies.
I dunno how good his rose accuracy is, but Tuxedo Mask's accuracy with other weapons was crazy good on the few times it was displayed. Like in R how, while just an amnesiac guy out for fun in a laser tag arena, he managed to zap a bunch of holographic monsters in the center of the forehead while running. Or in SuperS when a monster running over his rose offended him so much that he decided to wait until it was about an inch from flattening the victim-of-the-week to stop it, presumably for the purpose of showing off, with an extending cane strike to the center of it's side.

And yeah, it's very easy to imagine Tuxedo Mask as having a lot of Batman fantasies. I bet the guy keeps either a homemade Batman or Robin costume next to his tuxedo. Possibly both.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Well the old Tuxedo Mask was a newtype, so it makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Edvarius posted:

I dunno how good his rose accuracy is, but Tuxedo Mask's accuracy with other weapons was crazy good on the few times it was displayed. Like in R how, while just an amnesiac guy out for fun in a laser tag arena, he managed to zap a bunch of holographic monsters in the center of the forehead while running. Or in SuperS when a monster running over his rose offended him so much that he decided to wait until it was about an inch from flattening the victim-of-the-week to stop it, presumably for the purpose of showing off, with an extending cane strike to the center of it's side.

And yeah, it's very easy to imagine Tuxedo Mask as having a lot of Batman fantasies. I bet the guy keeps either a homemade Batman or Robin costume next to his tuxedo. Possibly both.

I further believe that when he went to study abroad in America in the Stars arc, he deliberately chose Harvard because it was close enough to Gotham City for weekend trips. He just really hopes Batman-senpai notices him.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

A few more clips of the new Dub have popped up on Hulu.

The first is the same as the one where they advertised Luna's new voice but with the transformations and stuff afterwards as well.
The second is from the last Jadeite episode, so its also the first taste of Sailor Mars and Mercury we've seen.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

A few more clips of the new Dub have popped up on Hulu.

The first is the same as the one where they advertised Luna's new voice but with the transformations and stuff afterwards as well.
The second is from the last Jadeite episode, so its also the first taste of Sailor Mars and Mercury we've seen.

I really liked the new Mars voice, not sold on Mercury yet, and it's always great to have Sailor Moon shaking her fist and yelling 'Down with discrimination!'

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

pentyne posted:

That was a pretty killer guitar solo in the OP.

It was pretty much known before, but now that the CD is out it's right there in the music credits - that's Marty Friedman on guitar in Moon Pride.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

orenronen posted:

It was pretty much known before, but now that the CD is out it's right there in the music credits - that's Marty Friedman on guitar in Moon Pride.

He's collaborated with MomoClo before for the OP of Bodacious Space Pirates a few years ago. He's lived in Tokyo for like 11 years.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

He's collaborated with MomoClo before for the OP of Bodacious Space Pirates a few years ago. He's lived in Tokyo for like 11 years.

The guy also released a full album of metal covers of MCZ songs. But forget him - that BSP OP song you mentioned just got a new release recently with Yngwie Malmsteen replacing Friedman on electric guitar. It's quite something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

orenronen posted:

The guy also released a full album of metal covers of MCZ songs. But forget him - that BSP OP song you mentioned just got a new release recently with Yngwie Malmsteen replacing Friedman on electric guitar. It's quite something.

Holy poo poo it's REAL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYTP7RH5qCI

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Marty Friedman was also part of Sound/linked Horizon, same group that did the OST for Bravely Default and the theme songs for Attack on Titan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOtVEt-3L4Q&t=184s

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

That's a mix of both versions, but yeah - you get the idea.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I got my Sailor Jupiter Figuart today because I am a giant baby womanchild. :neckbeard: Best sailor ever. :swoon:

It also came with tissues. ...I think I just figured out why all the purchases from J-list come with them. :gonk: :barf:

EDIT: Photo!

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 31, 2014

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Don't worry, they're probably just doing it to mimic Japan. Free tissues are kind of a thing over there.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

I got my Sailor Jupiter Figuart today because I am a giant baby womanchild. :neckbeard: Best sailor ever. :swoon:

It also came with tissues. ...I think I just figured out why all the purchases from J-list come with them. :gonk: :barf:

I've had all five inners now for about... a week?
Jupiter's easily my favorite of the team though, she just has more presence than any of the others. Though that might just be from her being taller than the others.

But J-List? They're bad for a number of reasons and I'm pretty sure they price-gouge, don't buy from them.

e: looking at the price they had for Jupiter ($55 for those curious), that didn't include shipping did it?

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I order most of my merch from amazon.co.jp and AmiAmi (AmiAmi is best for pre-orders.) They charge in yen and have good discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Honestly I wouldn't import the figuarts from anywhere, since they come out a month later in the west (Amazon's pre-order is like $40, compared to j-list's $55 on the import), and waiting a month never hurt anyone.

• Locked thread