Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The horn has it's own fuse IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

turdriver posted:

Hello Miata friends! Should I sell my Miata?

I'm asking for $3500-$4000 around the SF bay area.

If you can get that kind of money for it, I'd say you were way ahead.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
My son has already ordered the first bits needed to get his car past inspection. A pair of new front turn lamps to replace the broken one and replacement lower and upper shift boots/insulators to replace torn ones and keep the heat out. He also got new bushings for the shifter since he'll be in there anyways. He's got the bug now.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

meatpimp posted:

If you can get that kind of money for it, I'd say you were way ahead.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than 2k for that.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Went to refuel an hour ago; left empty handed (empty tanked?). My gas cap of all things is stuck. It turns and clicks but doesn't catch to remove the cap. Any tips? It has been very hot recently and I also drove it slightly harder than normal right before attempting to refuel. Possible expansion of the cap?

EDIT: disregard. Got it off after letting it sit in the shade for an hour or so. Guess it was the heat?

AF fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 28, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super happy fun time!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Most people remove weight from underpowered sports cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, his is the 1.8L obviously.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I did take it out, PO before ToolShack must have installed it. It's old tech dynamat and basically thick tar paper junk. I put Reflectix on the floors which weighs nothing but is a great insulator, and I used a layer of reflective RAAMmat bxt and a layer of ensolite foam on top of that for the trans tunnel. It's all mainly for heat mitigation but if reduces some road/trans noise too that's a bonus.

I'm also using the same stuff to make the doors into an "enclosure" for the speakers I have. Will improve bass response big time so hopefully I won't feel the need for a sub.

When it's all done it will add probably less than 15 pounds, but I'm not a weight nazi so I don't care anyway.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 29, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Assuming it's not a track car, I'd do the same thing.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I did it on my old 92 years ago, made it quite a bit nicer on my daily commute, especially since my stock exhaust droned like crazy with the hardtop on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty much done with the heat prevention, ensolite is on the tunnel which was a challenge because the backing is super sticky and if it folds on itself you're hosed.

Wires!

One of things I hate most about installing a system is running wires, but at least with the carpet out it made things a lot easier. Now all I gotta do is install the deck and hook up the amp and I'm in business. Then when I get a little extra money I'm going to order all new parts to do the manual window conversion and seal up the doors. It's gonna sound awesome I can't wait!

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Awesome, so glad I sold the car to you. You keeping the tape deck right? I mean how else are you going to play the Duran Duran tapes.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 30, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

K so I bought a 93 Miata today. It's bone stock and in really nice shape. I need to replace the speakers which have blown apparently. What do I put in this thing? It only has like three holes for the speaker mount? Also I keep accidentally honking at people.

ps. I'm keeping the cassette deck! edit: and the steelies

here's a lovely cellphone pic. you can't tell in the picture but it has a fresh OEM respray, even has the mazda decal on the bumper

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 30, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^6.5 inch for the doors, and clearwater speakers in the headrests, you can get them from Goodwin.

TooLShack posted:

Awesome, so glad I sold the car to you. You keeping the tape deck right? I mean how else are you going to play the Duran Duran tapes.

Haha, yeah I'm keeping the stock stuff. The stock CD player took a poo poo that's why I'm doing all this. And don't worry I've got Duran Duran CD's :3:

Still have brakes to do, rotors, pads and speed bleeders with a system flush. I'm waiting on ball joints, tie rod ends and seals for the upper ball joints and once I get that stuff I'll put everything in then go get a good alignment. Then after that I have all the parts to do a timing belt/water pump job. Once all that poo poo is done this car will be good for another 60k minus any mods I can afford :v:

[edit] I REALLY want a Momo steering wheel in the worst way.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 30, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

leica posted:

^^^^6.5 inch for the doors, and clearwater speakers in the headrests, you can get them from Goodwin.

Thanks, I ordered the clearwater door speakers. No headrest speakers in my car unfortunately. Gonna get a cassette adapter for my mp3 player too lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Multi-million dollar films are routinely leaked to the internet weeks ahead of release. How the gently caress as a single picture of the ND not slipped out yet?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Mazda doesn't send pre-release copies of their top secret projects to socialites who nominate them for bullshit cartel-controlled industry awards.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Because films require an army of minimum wage workers to get it playing in the theater. And I'm pretty sure a leak would cause at least one person at Mazda to kill themselves.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks, I ordered the clearwater door speakers. No headrest speakers in my car unfortunately. Gonna get a cassette adapter for my mp3 player too lol.

You can put speakers in the headrests still if you want to, in a '91 I owned that didn't have them I just put a pair in the drivers seat and ran them off the rear channel of the deck I had. It's worth it, having them is almost necessary if you have the top down a lot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had a dream... that I got myself a project NA in addition to my perfectly fine NBFL. It had rusted out rockers and hosed paint so I stripped everything to metal to have it resprayed. After waking up I now have an unexplainable urge to get a beater NA and make my life miserable, please send help :(

Rhyno posted:

Multi-million dollar films are routinely leaked to the internet weeks ahead of release. How the gently caress as a single picture of the ND not slipped out yet?

Based on their other current designs, it would probably literally blow people's minds, and Mazda doesn't want that to happen to their customers!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

leica posted:

You can put speakers in the headrests still if you want to, in a '91 I owned that didn't have them I just put a pair in the drivers seat and ran them off the rear channel of the deck I had. It's worth it, having them is almost necessary if you have the top down a lot.

Speaking of which, the seats are clean-ish, the upholstery is alright. but kinda tiny. and still, 20 years old. The headrest only comes up to about the top of my neck. Are there better seats for a miata for someone 6'0" tall?

Second question: It's like impossible to see out the plastic window in the back, it's all fogged over. Is there something I can clean it with without destroying it?

Cheers

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Meguires Plastic-X for the rear window.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
here is a car http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4584705009.html

6ULs, roll bar, r-pkg, A/C, hardtop, "low boost" JRSC

Honestly 3psi seems kinda like a waste of time, might as well just leave it N/A

How terrible is Tein Flex? Serviceable or would I have to throw them out and get Xidas? Does $5500 seem fair?

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

destructo posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than 2k for that.
Not all of us have the privilege of living in a poor and dreadful part of the country.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

turdriver posted:

Not all of us have the privilege of living in a poor and dreadful part of the country.

Yeah I don't know, I live in the bay area too and I personally wouldn't pay that much for a car with that many miles, even perfectly clean (and it doesn't look like it is; I can see at least one big dent in that picture). If you can get that much then more power to you though. God knows how many overpriced Miatas are on the SF CL are so someone's gotta be buying them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hikaki posted:

God knows how many overpriced Miatas are on the SF CL are so someone's gotta be buying them.

It's not overpriced if that's what people are consistently paying for them. That's how a free market works.

Same deal up here in Seattle. The only Miata you're getting for under 3k is a shitpile. More realistically you're looking at 4-5k for something good.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Trying to track down my hood squeek. What would you guys use to lube the hood hinges and the front latch?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

blk posted:

Trying to track down my hood squeek. What would you guys use to lube the hood hinges and the front latch?

Bog standard LM grease :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mobby_6kl posted:

Based on their other current designs, it would probably literally blow people's minds, and Mazda doesn't want that to happen to their customers!

I want this to happen! My mind needs to be blown right now!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you want to blow your mind, go look at the ND subforum on mnet and have a Glock nearby.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Trying to find the source of this squeek is driving me bonkers. It's like a constant chirp-chirp-chirp. I'm considering randomly removing stuff (wipers, hood) until it goes away. I have speedo shake but I don't think it's the cable as it happens just as often when the needle is not shaking.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Phone posted:

If you want to blow your mind, go look at the ND subforum on mnet and have a Glock nearby.

How bad is it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How much do you love seeing a variant of "I'm totally not going to buy the ND if it does/doesn't have $thing"?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Trying to find the source of this squeek is driving me bonkers. It's like a constant chirp-chirp-chirp. I'm considering randomly removing stuff (wipers, hood) until it goes away. I have speedo shake but I don't think it's the cable as it happens just as often when the needle is not shaking.

It's the cable. Order a new one now.

The PO of my 97 greased the outside of the speedo cable. That was fun.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The PO of my 97 greased the outside of the speedo cable. That was fun.

Wow. Thats even worse than the PO, or one of her shops, who packed the entire area around the shifter with grease. Like all around the insulator and boots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

How much do you love seeing a variant of "I'm totally not going to buy the ND if it does/doesn't have $thing"?

If it doesn't come with wheels/tires I'm totally not buying one :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Phone posted:

If I made $100k a month and it had tree hunnrit horspowah and weighed less than my wife, I'd buy it! Otherwise no sale (I'm also broke).

Very interested on the ND myself. My commute will be shortening up a large bit here within 6 months, and my TDI and NC together would probably cover an ND if I wanted. Shame the 2 seater vert department is lacking in (real) options.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: NM

blk fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

If it doesn't come with wheels/tires I'm totally not buying one :colbert:

What if it literally flies like a sand cruiser?