Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mod sassinator posted:

i have a sealed boxed copy of daikatana i bought about 15 years ago when i found it in a clearance bin

one day, it will sell for millions. one day

I also have a sealed copy of Daikatana.

I also have a sealed copy of several good games, like Deus Ex and Myst. But... I have Daikatana too, because it was like $5 or something. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

field balm posted:

Have been playing doom 2 coop lately, playing through momento mori at the moment. Any recommendations for some big outdoor maps/sets of maps? Also, any wads that add more weapons or interesting tweaks?

Play through EVERYTHING coop using Samsara. It's a class wad that adds all the doom era protagonists such as BJ, Doom guy, Heretic guy, and Hexen guy. Scythe 1 and 2, Alien Vendetta, Doom The Way Id Did, NeoDoom and Doom64 were all fun for me.

Here's an ip address for Scythe 1 + samsara in zandronum(doomseeker): 192.99.6.150:15113

Hey so I'm playing a bit of Blood, at the moment. The music is loving creepy as hell. It's great. I noticed there is no particular sourceport I can use. Is there any sort of graphics tweaking I should be doing? I'm just using OpenGL at 640 x 480. Which, I'll admit, does give it a true retro feel.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

Hey so I'm playing a bit of Blood, at the moment. The music is loving creepy as hell. It's great. I noticed there is no particular sourceport I can use. Is there any sort of graphics tweaking I should be doing? I'm just using OpenGL at 640 x 480. Which, I'll admit, does give it a true retro feel.

I use the launcher here, for some reason, and it is pretty nice to have:
http://blood.nanoaugur.net/

It also includes zBlood, which is basically someone trying to rebuild Blood in zDoom as far as I can tell. Fun to check out.

I also made sure to use bMouse, which helped me not to hate using the mouse to play.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

This is it. This is the zdoom experience.

(oh god please kins why does reelism have to be on zdoom)
Wow, this is worse than SRB2's netplay.

And as a dev of SRB2, I can faithfully say its netcode is god-awful, so that's really saying something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BTW it'll do this on a LAN, too. God I wish Skulltag/Zandronum wasn't a billion versions behind the Zdoom code.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Shadow Hog posted:

Wow, this is worse than SRB2's netplay.

And as a dev of SRB2, I can faithfully say its netcode is god-awful, so that's really saying something.

Well, god-awful netcode that occasionally works rather fits the theme for SRB2, doesn't it? I mean, from the word go there's god-awful insanity, like doing a Sonic game in a (heavily modified) Doom engine, but occasionally it's actually fairly playable. (Wasn't someone trying to get loops working at one point too? Christ they must be insane)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I asked this earlier, but I made the bad mistake of asking right before Quakecon started; what are some good bot-friendly maps for UT99?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
In my experience, everything. The Unreal bots are pretty smart and for normal DM or CTF they don't need aggressive botpathing. UT2k4 is even better in this way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
UT was always known for its smart bots. At the time it was crazy, because people were starting to imagine what bots would be like in the future. Surely they would become even more sophisticated and lifelike right? I'm pretty sure UT still has the best bots.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's a few custom bots for 2k4 and maybe 99 as well, this 2k4 one won an award for passing a modified Turing test even.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

(Wasn't someone trying to get loops working at one point too? Christ they must be insane)
Nobody on the dev team is seriously considering tackling slopes in the Doom engine, so probably not. If somebody was, it'd be a fan-made engine mod. (Yes, a fan-made engine mod of a fan-made engine mod. These actually exist.)

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

As kinda off putting as this is, I love this guy's mods. Just a shame he can't stick with one and ride it all the way out.

(EDIT) Oh gently caress, it's you.

Malek fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 30, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy them.

And I agree emphatically, it would be very nice if I could just stick with one. Unfortunately I'm quite flighty and have too many oh-man-this-would-be-so-cool-to-see ideas so lately I tend to work, release once it's finished, then move on to something else.
Hopefully after this most recent fancy I'll be able to settle down and focus on polishing what I've already got out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

<vent>

Ugh. Unreal, I love you, you are the best game ever…

…but really, whoever designed Sunspire needs a punch in the dick.

</vent>

Aaahh… all better.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I tend to get fed up around Terraniux, myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
The Sunspire is pretty great, other than the fact that it's so colossal that it takes five minutes to walk anywhere and the inexplicable pitch darkness area.

I always thought the worst levels in the game were the first few (before, say, Dark Arena) and the last (the entire mothership segment). Everything in between is really solid with the Sunspire being one of the standouts partly because of the sheer ambition it displays.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

The Sunspire is pretty great, other than the fact that it's so colossal that it takes five minutes to walk anywhere and the inexplicable pitch darkness area.

I always thought the worst levels in the game were the first few (before, say, Dark Arena) and the last (the entire mothership segment). Everything in between is really solid with the Sunspire being one of the standouts partly because of the sheer ambition it displays.

NyLeve's Falls was the poo poo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just noticed this BYOB tag exists and it should be this thread's tag:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

haveblue posted:

Sure, the ambition is fine; the execution is not. My main gripe with it is that so much of it is entirely pointless and if/once you get lost, it is just too same:y to offer any kind of guidance of where to go.

Then again, come to think of it and now that you mention it, the mothership level I had the most problem with was the darkening, so maybe it's just something about my navigational skills in dark areas. :D

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

AugmentedVision posted:

NyLeve's Falls was the poo poo

The waterfall vista, yeah. But then all you have to fight are brutes and those tentacle things.

Mak0rz posted:

I just noticed this BYOB tag exists and it should be this thread's tag:

That's an old YCS tag :ssh:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Tippis posted:

Sure, the ambition is fine; the execution is not. My main gripe with it is that so much of it is entirely pointless and if/once you get lost, it is just too same:y to offer any kind of guidance of where to go.

Then again, come to think of it and now that you mention it, the mothership level I had the most problem with was the darkening, so maybe it's just something about my navigational skills in dark areas. :D

Back when I played Unreal co-op regularly, the Sunspire was always one of my favorite levels, if only because I could use the invisibility item to sneak past the enemies on the cliff side near the end of the level, which I thought was totally awesome. Though the best times I had with the game was in the canyon level before you board the crashed ship, when the admin of the server I'd frequent would drop all weapons and items near the start and start spawning in tons of enemies in the canyon (like the Nali that shoot deadly rainbow beams). Good times. :allears:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why has no one posted this yet, what do you guys do all day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FKjMhqEJI
I'm trying really hard not to get too excited for this, but I can't help it. They don't have much going yet, but the progress has been pretty quick it seems.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

I'm trying really hard not to get too excited for this, but I can't help it. They don't have much going yet, but the progress has been pretty quick it seems.
I was just about to :( So instead I'll post this: some Aussie hackers have gotten Doom running on an ATM somehow, and also an LED billboard truck. Because of course they did.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

some Aussie hackers have gotten Doom running on an ATM somehow

Most Australian ATMs are Windows XP, though some are still...eCommStation. loving OS/2..

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

God, that looks good. I can't wait to play. It feels old new. In a good way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kins posted:

I was just about to :( So instead I'll post this: some Aussie hackers have gotten Doom running on an ATM somehow, and also an LED billboard truck. Because of course they did.

There should just be public kiosks located around everywhere that have Doom on them, for whoever wants to play it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I messed around with soundfonts and found VirtualMIDISynth coupled with the SGM-V2.01 font to be a great replacement for any program that uses General Midi (including DOSbox and Zdoom). It sounds slightly different, which might be enough to be off-putting but I found it to be a general improvement. I only tested extensively by replaying through Tyrian (another early 90s midi gem) and that was amazing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wadjamaloo posted:

Tighten up the graphics on level 3.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There should just be public kiosks located around everywhere that have Doom on them, for whoever wants to play it.

World peace.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Wadjamaloo posted:

:allears:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wadjamaloo posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty loving excited for this. I completely skipped over UT3 since I didn't have a capable PC to play it at the time and was too caught up in having a new 360/Gears of War, so it's been a long time since I've gotten to sratch that UT itch.

I re-installed UT2004 and it's still good fun, even with bots. Wish I could find my UT99 discs though...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NuclearPotato posted:

Back when I played Unreal co-op regularly, the Sunspire was always one of my favorite levels, if only because I could use the invisibility item to sneak past the enemies on the cliff side near the end of the level, which I thought was totally awesome. Though the best times I had with the game was in the canyon level before you board the crashed ship, when the admin of the server I'd frequent would drop all weapons and items near the start and start spawning in tons of enemies in the canyon (like the Nali that shoot deadly rainbow beams). Good times. :allears:

I like sneaking up behind the Skaarj and lobbing them over the edge with a charged up Biorifle shot or a alt-fire Flak Cannon shell.

quote:

Nyleve Falls and Chizra are great the second time playing, but something about the mines levels never clicked for me. I like the mines in RtNP way more than the one in default U1 for some reason.

Next time I replay U1, I'll probably warp straight to Chizra's opening after beating Nyleve. All I need to do is spawn a Stinger, some ammo for it, and maybe an ASMD and I'll have the good poo poo from the mines.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Everything about the new UT just sounds so good. Trying to get back to the roots, full single player campaign, the non-exploitative f2p model, embracing the community, mod support not only available, but featured.
If they pull it off its going to be amazing, but I really don't want to get too hyped and then be let down.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I lack the imagination to see why this new UT is going to be awesome, yet a perfectly goot UT3 remains unplayed by all.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

perfectly goot UT3

lollll

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I lack the imagination to see why this new UT is going to be awesome, yet a perfectly goot UT3 remains unplayed by all.

I think the main complaints about UT3 had to do with the color-pallet making everything washed out and players hard to see, and the increased presence of vehicles in game modes like CTF just not feeling very "UT" like.

Edit: also, IMO UT3 was released at a pretty bad time for a few reasons:

By the time UT3 was released in 2007, there were three UT games released within a five year span. Did you really need that much UT? I seem to remember people online being kind of pissed at epic for the quick turnaround between UT2k3 and UT2k4, which also (sort of) ties into the idea of just general UT fatigue.

UT3 was also released during a holiday season that saw Halo 3, COD 4, and The Orange Box with TF2, all some pretty loving stiff competition that had a hell of a lot more hype behind them than UT3 ever did. Most of the hype on the PC side of things was sucked up by either Orange Box, or Crysis.

Couple all of that with just a shift away from arena based shooters in general and...well...you have the perfect storm of UT3 being released and it being an online ghost town like 3 months later :(

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 30, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Wasn't it true that Epic was seriously trying to pursue a "sports" model for Unreal Tournament, with annual releases a la "Madden [year]" or whatever?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
They also got rid of a perfectly servicable justification for CTF - it's an event in a tournament where you shoot the gently caress out of people - and tried to justify it in war. I'm pretty sure they were trying to be funny, but it just came off as stupid.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wasn't it true that Epic was seriously trying to pursue a "sports" model for Unreal Tournament, with annual releases a la "Madden [year]" or whatever?

Yeah that's why there was a UT2013 and UT2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

I messed around with soundfonts and found VirtualMIDISynth coupled with the SGM-V2.01 font to be a great replacement for any program that uses General Midi (including DOSbox and Zdoom). It sounds slightly different, which might be enough to be off-putting but I found it to be a general improvement. I only tested extensively by replaying through Tyrian (another early 90s midi gem) and that was amazing.

:eng101: Tyrian's music was in AdLib music modules, similar to Amiga (and Unreal Engine 1 games). There's MIDI versions but that's heresy.