Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Broose posted:

Sad to hear that. I'm curious about these sales you are talking about though. All I can find for purchasing anything ingame are the ingame store, which doesn't seem to have anything on sale aside from the bundles and item of the day, and https://www.planetside2.com/shop which is just bundles and super sparse. So do they do the big sales in-game or somewhere else?

Also, while I play NC the most, I also have a VS alt, but I have no idea what guns to aim for for it or how to fight as them. Should I buy the GTA launcher that is on sale as well, or should I be waiting for the day the lancer goes on sale?

Same question for TR. All I know is the TORQ and Carv.

The big sales are usually in-game and only during holidays. For instance over Christmas to New Years they did like 2 weeks of 99sc/1sc daily sales with a different category of item( camos, vehicle cosmetics, sniper rifles etc.) 50% off each day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like the pulsar for some reason : /

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Get the terminus/NS11a hell even the CME and that will change. I find that even the Trac5 is made useless by the other TR guns, its usable yes but how does it stand out compared to the jag/lynx? NC really has the only default carbine that still holds its own even after all the new guns.

VS carbines are actually the best example of this, you got the pulsar C which has its niche, the serpent/VX6 then the zenith. Each of those guns has a very clear and defined role that doesn't infringe to much upon the others. The NC have a very clear selection also with literally no redundancies--every gun has its place. The TR suffers from having very similar carbines with only the lynx/jag/cougar standing out with the rest blending together.

What VS has that neither faction has is a useless gun that is worse in every way compared to the others. The solstice/pulsar scream beta guns that were left behind when everything got tweaked. There is no TR/NC gun that is completely out classed in every regard by the rest of their selection.

The devs need to loving WRITE DOWN what the VS faction trait is then use the NC gun selection as a template and redo TR/VS guns to flesh them out. NC is the only faction that feels like it is feature complete, TR is near completion with some bugs(TORQ) left in while VS just feels like they were left for last. I'd loving welcome them completely redesigning every VS gun if they had a definitive faction trait that they were designing them around.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Until you decided you dont like something about them, then you'd be back to inane rants

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Its arghy, what else is new?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

BadLlama posted:

I really like the Pulsar in general in terms of both handling and damage output (143x698 is almost exactly on par with 167x600); I just wish it, along with most other non-TR 143-damage guns, had 35 rounds per mag.

But then I'm also really weird with my gun choices, because I really like guns like the Corvus, Pulsar, and Cerberus but actively dislike some guns that are considered objectively "good", such as the TORQ, Repeater, or Zenith.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 29, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

novaSphere posted:

I really like the Pulsar in general in terms of both handling and damage output (143x698 is almost exactly on par with 167x600); I just wish it, along with most other non-TR 143-damage guns, had 35 rounds per mag.

Yeah I don't think there would be any problems buffing it up to 35 rounds per clip. I just like the handling of the gun, its first shot multiplier is pretty bad but everything else about its recoil is pretty solid. Also reloading in like 1.5 seconds or whatever is pretty funny when someone chases you around a corner just to be met with a fully loaded gun a second later.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Pulsar would be a perfectly serviceable weapon if it had genuinely superior handling to the Cycler, which it absolutely deserves because it has lower DPS, lower DPM, and so on and so forth. The issue is when you compare the stats:
  • Horizontal Recoil: Pulsar 0.2-0.2, Cycler 0.225-0.225. Okay, that's fine, Pulsar is slightly better and a Grip affects both about the same, point to the Pulsar.
  • Horizontal Tolerance: Pulsar 0.7, Cycler 0.5. This is hosed up. 0.7 is what the loving EM1 has, it's way too high for a weapon that is putting out less damage per second than the Cycler. I feel like this has to be a mistake because the situation is exactly reversed for the TRAC-5 and Solstice at 0.6 and 0.5 respectively. If ARs are supposed to drift less than Carbines, then the Pulsar should be like 0.45, which is still less tolerant than the Gauss Rifle but moreso than the Cycler. Which is fair.
  • Vertical Recoil: Pulsar 0.22, Cycler 0.27. Seems fine, even with the higher FSRM the Cycler kicks more on the first shot and more overall.
  • Vertical Angle: Pulsar up-right 17-20 degrees, Cycler straight up. Again, hosed up. Why does the Pulsar deserve unpredictable random angled recoil, and why at 17-20 degrees, which is a huge rightward pull? It's the same pull and variance (in the opposite direction) as the Cycler TRV. How is that fair? The Terminus by the way is 5-6 degrees right (and the Zenith is about that and gets an Advanced Grip). Give the Pulsar an angled recoil if you wish, but make it invariant, there's no reason the Terminus should be better than the Pulsar at this.
  • Moving ADS COF: Pulsar 0.25, Cycler 0.3. This is fair and should be to the Pulsar's advantage, so no issues there.
Basically the two issues are the clearly loving broken Tolerance and the angled recoil being huge and unfairly random. It's stupid, it doesn't make sense, and it makes the Terminus almost a straight upgrade. The Pulsar should handle incredibly smoothly but lack a little in damage output and throughput. It could do so if it got those two stats reined in a bit. That's really all it would take. More DPM would be nice but seriously I can live without that, but there's no reason for a 698 RPM starter Assault Rifle to have as severe a recoil pull angle as the 800 RPM bullet hoses.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah the angled recoil on it is pretty crazy but the compensation for it is just like how you would compensate for the recoil on the M4/AK in CS which is why I think I enjoy it. I fully agree that those stats should not be as severe as they are right now though.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

The Pulsar would be a perfectly serviceable weapon if it had genuinely superior handling to the Cycler, which it absolutely deserves because it has lower DPS, lower DPM, and so on and so forth. The issue is when you compare the stats:
  • Horizontal Recoil: Pulsar 0.2-0.2, Cycler 0.225-0.225. Okay, that's fine, Pulsar is slightly better and a Grip affects both about the same, point to the Pulsar.
  • Horizontal Tolerance: Pulsar 0.7, Cycler 0.5. This is hosed up. 0.7 is what the loving EM1 has, it's way too high for a weapon that is putting out less damage per second than the Cycler. I feel like this has to be a mistake because the situation is exactly reversed for the TRAC-5 and Solstice at 0.6 and 0.5 respectively. If ARs are supposed to drift less than Carbines, then the Pulsar should be like 0.45, which is still less tolerant than the Gauss Rifle but moreso than the Cycler. Which is fair.
  • Vertical Recoil: Pulsar 0.22, Cycler 0.27. Seems fine, even with the higher FSRM the Cycler kicks more on the first shot and more overall.
  • Vertical Angle: Pulsar up-right 17-20 degrees, Cycler straight up. Again, hosed up. Why does the Pulsar deserve unpredictable random angled recoil, and why at 17-20 degrees, which is a huge rightward pull? It's the same pull and variance (in the opposite direction) as the Cycler TRV. How is that fair? The Terminus by the way is 5-6 degrees right (and the Zenith is about that and gets an Advanced Grip). Give the Pulsar an angled recoil if you wish, but make it invariant, there's no reason the Terminus should be better than the Pulsar at this.
  • Moving ADS COF: Pulsar 0.25, Cycler 0.3. This is fair and should be to the Pulsar's advantage, so no issues there.
Basically the two issues are the clearly loving broken Tolerance and the angled recoil being huge and unfairly random. It's stupid, it doesn't make sense, and it makes the Terminus almost a straight upgrade. The Pulsar should handle incredibly smoothly but lack a little in damage output and throughput. It could do so if it got those two stats reined in a bit. That's really all it would take. More DPM would be nice but seriously I can live without that, but there's no reason for a 698 RPM starter Assault Rifle to have as severe a recoil pull angle as the 800 RPM bullet hoses.

Do one for the solstice!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'd just make it like... 12 degrees up-right. Still a noticeable angled kick, but a much easier one to manage, and no weird variation, plus 0.45 or so Tolerance instead of what it has. At that point it would become a really, really good weapon, basically an SVA-88 with less ammo but godlike handling. People would fear it. The Terminus would still probably be better up close, but at midrange or longer the Pulsar would definitely have an edge. 143/698 isn't bad as long as the gun either has a ton of ammo (SVA-88, CARV-S) or great handling. The Pulsar also has a really short long reload so you could just magdump, pop a reload, magdump, repeat. It would be really nice.

It's honestly so close. I want to like it, I do. Try using the Equinox Burst and you can get a feel for how super-tight handling on the Pulsar would be, it takes whole magazines to drop guys at 80-100m but you can do it and it's delightful. If VS Medics had that it'd be hard to recommend using anything else (except the Terminus indoors), yet it wouldn't be overpowered by any means either.

EDIT: For the Solstice just ease in the recoil angle and the FSRM. The Solstice/TRAC-5 comparison is less striking because the Solstice has a shallower recoil angle (albeit 1 degree more variant) than the TRAC-5, which has a rough rightward pull. The Solstice also has better Tolerance. FSRM of 2.8x is loving idiotic though.

Yes, seriously, the Solstice has a first shot kick of 0.7 (0.25 x 2.8). Slightly better than the CARV!

Nakar fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 29, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, so SOE changed the Spiker on test. It's now 167 damage (up from 125) with a lower refire rate. Honestly I barely noticed the refire, because it was pretty much a bitch to get to spamfire as it was. With this change, it at least it's doing more damage. It's actually pretty decent now as a sidearm.

The charge changes, however, are actually pretty good. First, it's SIX shots per charge now, rather than 4. Meaning you're actually getting at least SOME benefit from it (I'd still prefer a unique effect rather than just six rounds, but whatever).

The BIGGEST change, though, is that the charge can be held seemingly indefinitely. It's not the Phaseshift or Lancer style charge where it automatically shoots after X seconds of full charge. You can pre-charge that bastard and just sit on it all day long waiting to pop six rounds into a motherfucker. That right there at least gives it a purpose: you can actually use the charge as a preemptively, though you still can't charge while cloaked. Imagine Stalker infils with a charged Spiker dumping 6 shots into you at random. Incidentally, that seems to kill pretty reliably at close range unless you're talking about a shielded Heavy, a MAX, and/or Nanoweave. The recoil appears to be straight up, though, so if you aim for the chest you're almost guaranteed a headshot or two.

I suppose this is workable. I'd still like to see a unique situational use for the charge rather than just a big burst, but I'll take it over its previous incarnation (which was just bad at everything).

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Alright, so SOE changed the Spiker on test. It's now 167 damage (up from 125) with a lower refire rate. Honestly I barely noticed the refire, because it was pretty much a bitch to get to spamfire as it was. With this change, it at least it's doing more damage. It's actually pretty decent now as a sidearm.

The charge changes, however, are actually pretty good. First, it's SIX shots per charge now, rather than 4. Meaning you're actually getting at least SOME benefit from it (I'd still prefer a unique effect rather than just six rounds, but whatever).

The BIGGEST change, though, is that the charge can be held seemingly indefinitely. It's not the Phaseshift or Lancer style charge where it automatically shoots after X seconds of full charge. You can pre-charge that bastard and just sit on it all day long waiting to pop six rounds into a motherfucker. That right there at least gives it a purpose: you can actually use the charge as a preemptively, though you still can't charge while cloaked. Imagine Stalker infils with a charged Spiker dumping 6 shots into you at random. Incidentally, that seems to kill pretty reliably at close range unless you're talking about a shielded Heavy, a MAX, and/or Nanoweave. The recoil appears to be straight up, though, so if you aim for the chest you're almost guaranteed a headshot or two.

I suppose this is workable. I'd still like to see a unique situational use for the charge rather than just a big burst, but I'll take it over its previous incarnation (which was just bad at everything).

I like the idea of an alpha strike pistol but I need to try it out to get a feel for it. Thanks for this though Gonkish.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Imagine Stalker infils with a charged Spiker dumping 6 shots into you at random.

You can't charge it while cloaked, so the spiker is really great at killing people that are deaf and not moving for several seconds. I'd still take a commissioner every time. The new TR/NC pistols work great for stalker cloak though! :soe:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Hahaha, we might end up with a directive for honking: https://twitter.com/xalorn/status/494261545220575233

edit: Confirmed, we're getting a honking directive for harrassers.
https://twitter.com/xalorn/status/494271435204870144

o muerte fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 30, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ndub posted:

You can't charge it while cloaked, so the spiker is really great at killing people that are deaf and not moving for several seconds. I'd still take a commissioner every time. The new TR/NC pistols work great for stalker cloak though! :soe:

Yeah, I was just thinking wistfully in that particular case. I wish you could charge it while cloaked, that'd be kind of awesome (even if it is loud).

Also, it should be noted that it actually seems to charge pretty quickly now. Like, as soon as the sound effect starts to ramp up, you can release and get the 6-round burst. It's maybe a second? There's a visual indicator on the model, in that the front bits near the muzzle expand outwards when the charge is primed. (Think of the action on the Eridani, for example.) It's either a second, or just under a second of charge time and you'll get the 6-round burst. So it's actually not that long now (I think it was longer previously, in addition to being only four rounds).

I'm still not sure if it beats out the Commish, though. If you're accurate it might just barely beat the Commissioner, but the refire rate isn't as reliable (there's still an odd delay), and the charge is very situational, though, thankfully, no longer completely useless. The reload is nice and fast, though. There may be a niche for it now.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The charge is decent, but the rate of fire is atrocious now. It's basically a Desperado with 4 extra rounds but a significantly lower ROF (500 vs. 366), and the charge mostly only works if you're right on top of somebody. Not sure whether the charge DPS now actually exceeds the burst spamming, it very well may.

The standard DPS appears to be ~1018, which is pretty lousy. If the charge takes 1sec and then 1sec to fire, the DPS is... worse than that. I get that it's burst damage and a theoretical one burst kill at that, but... :psyduck:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

o muerte posted:

Hahaha, we might end up with a directive for honking: https://twitter.com/xalorn/status/494261545220575233

Awesome.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Malorn confirmed it for Harrassers at least. I hope they add one for Sunderers as well.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
So do we get directive horns if we aurax 5+ harasser horns? Higby plz :retrogames:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

You can tell when the Spiker is ready to fire a 6x burst when the nose of the gun pops forward slightly. It's incredibly subtle and you shouldn't be expected to watch the gun for a tiny detail like that in the heat of combat, but at least there's some kind of visual indicator.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What did they change to Instant Action to make it a hopeless suicide drop most of the time now? The vast majority of the time I use it, I just end up dropped in some worthless location where we're outnumbered 2:1 and I get murdered and then have to respawn a hex away anyways.

Fucks sake if it's going to be like that can they at least give you control of the drop pod again so you don't end up in a field with your dick in your hand 90% of the time?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
They limited where IA will drop you and how much you can move the pod.

I now use instant action as "I'm going to die but it saves time redeploying across the map so whatever". Half the time it drops me into a huge enemy zerg where I die within ten seconds, but I've sometimes managed to sprint over to something important and C4 it before anyone kills me.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

o muerte posted:

Malorn confirmed it for Harrassers at least. I hope they add one for Sunderers as well.

Sunderers don't need more directive options, they already have like 8. :colbert:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Give Sunderers more everything, I won't be satisfied until they literally print certs and guns

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
So I'm not sure if people already knew this, but the 3.4 NC scope seems to light up when I don't have weapon camo on.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

West007 posted:

Getting the gold cyclone from the starter pack (http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/Planetside-2-Starter-Kit-PC-Mac-.html) almost makes me want to play NC

Took advantage of this, thanks for the link. About six hours after I used the code and unlocked the swag I got a new notification which was for a second seven day boost. Going to check again in six more hours and see if it want to give me another one. Great deal for $6.95 regardless just for the 1k SC.

Also whatever the update was today it's resulted in a gain of 15-20 FPS over what I normally run the game at. I was pulling 75 FPS while in a Galaxy getting shelled by AA flak.

V V
Looks like the sale price has changed, I doubt they are running out of a digital stock item so maybe just milking the number of sales. I know G2A prices jump around a fair bit as well.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 30, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Klowns posted:

Took advantage of this, thanks for the link. About six hours after I used the code and unlocked the swag I got a new notification which was for a second seven day boost. Going to check again in six more hours and see if it want to give me another one. Great deal for $6.95 regardless just for the 1k SC.

Also whatever the update was today it's resulted in a gain of 15-20 FPS over what I normally run the game at. I was pulling 75 FPS while in a Galaxy getting shelled by AA flak.

Does it keep changing? It shows as $8.50 for me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Give Sunderers more everything, I won't be satisfied until they literally print certs and guns

The auraxium directive reward will be a special cosmetic option that shits guns and bags of certs out of the back of your sundy whenever it honks, and the honk will be Hank Hill's BWAAAAAA

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lewtt posted:

So I'm not sure if people already knew this, but the 3.4 NC scope seems to light up when I don't have weapon camo on.

No...weapon...camo??? :confused:

Also red dot scope, ew

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Does it keep changing? It shows as $8.50 for me.
They sold a ton so the price went up

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Westy543 posted:

Sunderers don't need more directive options, they already have like 8. :colbert:

There can never be too many Sunderer directives. :colbert:

Is there a list of the current directives and the rewards somewhere? I'm updating the test server at the moment, but I'm not sure I want to wait for the 8gigs to download on my stupid slow internet just to find out.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Epic High Five posted:

No...weapon...camo??? :confused:

Also red dot scope, ew

I agree, this game is literally unplayable to me without bright gold shatter camo on my weapon.

I do like the red dots better than a solid black line that has issues not being invisible at night

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Avulsion posted:

I wish they'd just make ZOE a toggleable speed buff that disables your weapons and makes you take extra damage while it's active, just being able to run from one base to another in a MAX suit was nice.

That's pretty much Charge.

When ZOE got nerfed I maxed charge and realized it was always better in the first place.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Super.Jesus posted:

That's pretty much Charge.

When ZOE got nerfed I maxed charge and realized it was always better in the first place.

Uh, it wasn't better when ZOE was introduced. You are smoking the nanites something fierce.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Periphery posted:

There can never be too many Sunderer directives. :colbert:

Is there a list of the current directives and the rewards somewhere? I'm updating the test server at the moment, but I'm not sure I want to wait for the 8gigs to download on my stupid slow internet just to find out.

Here is a list of the infantry guns and what attachments they have, there's also class-based directives which give composite armor textured in the same way the weapons are, and the vehicle ones give lumifiber. There's also an Auraxium C4 that has a sweet as hell explosion.

The directive objectives themselves never get that complicated though. I think you have to rax Max Punch to get the Max Comp Armor, and Sundies and Gals have a directive for ramming kills, but everything else boils down to "get kills + do the thing your thing is good at".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gaghskull posted:

Uh, it wasn't better when ZOE was introduced. You are smoking the nanites something fierce.

One of the chief arguments of the time was that all high BR, skilled players used Charge instead, only nobody could ever actually find one actually doing this and believe me they tried. The reason was obvious of course - VS MAXes that didn't run ZOE died 20% more often than ZOE MAXes, despite the latter taking 30% increased damage. This is due in part to the fact that mobility is the greatest durability there is, and only lovely low BR players ever pulled something other than a ZOE MAX.

The best part was watching ZOE ADADAD streams (aka all VS streams for about 6 months) and seeing the rockets pass right through their chest and have them say "oh man that was a close one haha" :argh:

edit - in other news, yet another VS camo that transforms the "supposed to be the thing that makes them look obviously VS" bright green secondary color to something entirely different and indistinguishable from NC/TR:

I hope these people get TK'd constantly. Shatter seems to get me TK'd more than any other camo as well so who knows

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished playing my first day of this since playing PS1 for a couple years long ago. Combat feels really good, the maps are amazing, and there's a huge variety of stuff to do. I'm loving it.

Only gripes is that certificate costs on most stuff feel like they have an extra zero on the end, but I can understand them wanting to encourage premium memberships.

More importantly, I am shocked and amazed at how they could take PS1's flight controls, which I always thought were some of the most intuitive and easy to use I've ever seen, and turned them into a piece of poo poo I can't do anything with. Who thought using the mouse side to side to roll was a good idea? I can't aim for absolute poo poo and am lucky not to crash in the first 30 seconds. Am I missing some checkbox in the menus that makes it make sense or something?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

One of the chief arguments of the time was that all high BR, skilled players used Charge instead, only nobody could ever actually find one actually doing this and believe me they tried. The reason was obvious of course - VS MAXes that didn't run ZOE died 20% more often than ZOE MAXes, despite the latter taking 30% increased damage. This is due in part to the fact that mobility is the greatest durability there is, and only lovely low BR players ever pulled something other than a ZOE MAX.

The best part was watching ZOE ADADAD streams (aka all VS streams for about 6 months) and seeing the rockets pass right through their chest and have them say "oh man that was a close one haha" :argh:

edit - in other news, yet another VS camo that transforms the "supposed to be the thing that makes them look obviously VS" bright green secondary color to something entirely different and indistinguishable from NC/TR:

I hope these people get TK'd constantly. Shatter seems to get me TK'd more than any other camo as well so who knows

Other than the shape of that helmet, he's completely indistinguishable about which faction he is, especially with the loving NS gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Giraffe camo has many forms and works in mysterious ways. I still wear the garish, shoot-me-please shiny 'camo' and occasionally will still find my way into crowds.

Usually the points when people are easy to blend in with are the points when a crowd has tunnel vision on a particular goal during a high population fight. The lag that starts up around those fights helps conceal your presence, too. More than anything though, it's luck to get in those positions.

At least it gives something for recon darts and spotter pylons to do.

That being said, I wouldn't mind them putting a second pass on their faction silhouettes either! Maybe they're waiting on getting the player studio in on that?

• Locked thread