Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Two days in, I've been prescribed methylphenidate 10mg 3x/day (though I've been doing only 2x so far because of sleep problems/other health concerns). So far I don't feel any different, good or bad, although I've been cleaning up my space a bit and finding it a little easier to read, so maybe that's a good sign. I was mostly concerned about my heart exploding or something although if my monitor is to be believed my blood pressure actually drops after I take it.

I've heard contradicting things about when I'm supposed to take my meds; the pharmacist said to take them right after meals so I don't forget to eat (hahaha fat chance), but I've also read that it's important to take them half an hour or more before or after eating, so the food doesn't interfere with absorption. I've also heard that some foods such as those with vitamin C will affect absorption (which I think I already did once by accident), and that taking the meds on an empty stomach can make you sick. What do other people do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Tin Hat posted:

Two days in, I've been prescribed methylphenidate 10mg 3x/day (though I've been doing only 2x so far because of sleep problems/other health concerns). So far I don't feel any different, good or bad, although I've been cleaning up my space a bit and finding it a little easier to read, so maybe that's a good sign. I was mostly concerned about my heart exploding or something although if my monitor is to be believed my blood pressure actually drops after I take it.

I've heard contradicting things about when I'm supposed to take my meds; the pharmacist said to take them right after meals so I don't forget to eat (hahaha fat chance), but I've also read that it's important to take them half an hour or more before or after eating, so the food doesn't interfere with absorption. I've also heard that some foods such as those with vitamin C will affect absorption (which I think I already did once by accident), and that taking the meds on an empty stomach can make you sick. What do other people do?

Take them 20min before you eat - if you take it afterwards it will be diluted somewhat in your stomach and will not give you the blood levels at the correct rate. And yeah don't take it with anything super basic or acidic.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

What can you tell me about Strattera? My doctor Just switched me to it so to some concerns about high blood pressure and I am wondering how it stacks up to Ritalin. I'm a little concerned because the Ritalin only had mild benefits and I understand Strattera is milder still.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Baby Babbeh posted:

What can you tell me about Strattera? My doctor Just switched me to it so to some concerns about high blood pressure and I am wondering how it stacks up to Ritalin. I'm a little concerned because the Ritalin only had mild benefits and I understand Strattera is milder still.

Hit the ? under my name (I've posted about Strattera extensively in this thread.)

In short, great for the hyper, so-so for the attention. Is also a mild anti-depressant and did wonders for my anxiety. Makes quality sleep difficult, doesn't work when you don't have quality sleep. Works best when combined with exercise (like many things.)

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.
Okay, sorry about the delay. I'm working two jobs this summer. Weep.

When I was trying to conceive my son, I made the decision to go off my Vyvanse. It was difficult, but I had been on them awhile and was able to learn some decent coping skills. I also decided to breastfeed fairly long-term (which in the US is anything longer than 6 months, apparently). When my son turned a year old, I consulted his pediatrician, my neurologist, and the book "Medications and Mother's Milk," by Dr. Thomas Hale. Hale's book is what lactation consultants and midwives typically look at, and La Leche League stands behind it. Unfortunately, not terribly many physicians are familiar with this book. I took it with me and my neurologist was very happy to take a look. Hale compiles the results of every bit of research published about different medications, and what my neuro found most valuable were the amounts of the meds found in the child's serum at different intervals, and the meds' half-lives.

Both my neuro and my son's ped cleared me to go back on Vyvanse when he was a year old, even though I was still nursing, provided his growth was monitored. At a year old, he was still nursing frequently, but was eating solid foods for nutrition rather than experimentation, and I no longer had to pump at work. He is now four years old and his growth seems unaffected. His moods/behavior seemed unaltered by the medication, too.

I would strongly suggest buying a copy of the Hale book and looking at every ADD med's entry closely. I am comfortable with the decision I made, but I do think I could have gone back on a lower dosage of Vyvanse much earlier.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

Xibanya posted:

Hit the ? under my name (I've posted about Strattera extensively in this thread.)

In short, great for the hyper, so-so for the attention. Is also a mild anti-depressant and did wonders for my anxiety. Makes quality sleep difficult, doesn't work when you don't have quality sleep. Works best when combined with exercise (like many things.)

Some people add Intuniv to their current ADHD med regimen to control their blood pressure. Some people add beta blockers (which can also help with some amphetamine-related side effects such as skin picking or whatever).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Any good reading links, books, blogs, whatever for coping skills in romantic relationships with an ADHD partner and a non-ADHD partner? I'm recently diagnosed (at age 27, it's been a major relief) and awaiting my Kaiser membership to kick in to start meds and hopefully CBT/some sort therapy. My boyfriend is having a hard with my behavior, mostly in attentiveness and impulsiveness... He feels like I'm being flaky or lying when I don't complete all the tasks I had planned on (in a day or week) or struggle with motivation and follow through. I know meds will hopefully help me with this on my end, but something I can read to develop my own coping skills/deliberate behaviors in regards to my interaction with him, or something I can pass onto him to help him understand the way my brain works would be great.

If folks want to share their personal insights, that would be nice too. You can PM me if you want to share but not publicly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Any good reading links, books, blogs, whatever for coping skills in romantic relationships with an ADHD partner and a non-ADHD partner? I'm recently diagnosed (at age 27, it's been a major relief) and awaiting my Kaiser membership to kick in to start meds and hopefully CBT/some sort therapy. My boyfriend is having a hard with my behavior, mostly in attentiveness and impulsiveness... He feels like I'm being flaky or lying when I don't complete all the tasks I had planned on (in a day or week) or struggle with motivation and follow through. I know meds will hopefully help me with this on my end, but something I can read to develop my own coping skills/deliberate behaviors in regards to my interaction with him, or something I can pass onto him to help him understand the way my brain works would be great.

If folks want to share their personal insights, that would be nice too. You can PM me if you want to share but not publicly.

Get him "Driven to Distraction" or "Delivered from Distraction" -- two great books by a real medical doctor who has ADD and who does a fantastic job of explaining just how we're messed up, and why it's not always such a bad thing.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
This link is a good anecdotal explanation of how the ADHD brain works. For a more formal explanation, the Distraction books are okay, but I think Russell Barkley's speeches and articles are better. Here's a a youtube video of his.

I've been properly medicated for a couple of months now and would like to report that it's magical. It's incredible how much faster you learn things when you can focus on them for 5-10 minutes at a time, rather than 30-60 seconds. I don't get bored to the point that it's almost physically painful, only normally bored. In addition to helping with focus, it also seems to be helping with other things. I'm way less clumsy now, to the point that finding a new mystery bruise/burn/scrape now happens every few weeks instead of daily. When speaking, I am less likely to scramble my sentences.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

10mg ritalin has been strange so far. My heart races at the least strenuous physical activity, but I'm not really anxious about it. In fact I'm not really anxious at all, I'm quite calm. It's not really helping my focus or my motivation, though. When I was working today I was actually working much faster and smarter when my meds wore off. Maybe that'll get better with time, or the dosage will have to go up, although I don't care for my heart racing like this all the time.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
Sometime last May, a counselor of mine had prescribed me as having ADHD-PI. I've dealt with dysthymia for a good chunk of my life, so it has been a relief to learn that perhaps it has a greater underlying cause that going untreated for quite some time. It had been hell for me to get medication for my condition, mostly due to insurance battles. I had taken 25mg of Adderall XR for about a month, and I had noticed a great difference in how much more easily it is to process my thoughts, especially when I am talking, but things could had been a tad better. After a month or so break due to insurance struggles, I finally am on 30mg of Adderall XR, and I'm hoping that that dosage will do well. I've been on different depression meds for quite some time, and while they help take the edge off of things, I had often felt as if there was still something they hadn't been treating.

I had switched counselors a couple months ago (the one who had diagnosed me decided to reduce her patient load greatly), and my current counselor had mentioned a psychiatrist who did testing for adults with ADD. I took some tests about two weeks ago, and the results determined I had ADHD-NOS (which actually surprised the psychiatrist considering that he thought the tests would result in ADHD-PI as a my diagnosis).

I guess all of this rambling leads up two different things that I want to ask:
1) What do think of Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT) as being additional diagnosis from ADHD? I ask because I wonder if some therapists would catalog me as having this instead (I know I haven't mentioned a whole lot with my history, but I don't want to turn this post into a novel). I'm still foggy as to how SCT really differs from ADHD-PI and ADHD-NOS that leans towards ADHD-PI.
2) While I know what needs to be done in order to straighten out my life and I have a good idea sources to consult about ADHD itself (yes, I've been reading Delivered from Distraction at the moment and I've found some other stuff to consult), I find that I have difficulty with coming up with routines that I should probably follow. I develop plans that end up falling through and that I end up ultimately ignoring. Are there any books and resources any of you have found really helpful?

I've been reading through this thread on and off over the course of a past couple of months but I still have a lot to catch up on, so I really apologize if much of this has already been said.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I am sorry that I don't have any real advice, but I spent years trying to find the "right antidepressant" because it was naturally assumed that my inattentive ADHD symptoms were part of my depression. Magically, no antidepressants were able to do anything about them, yet Adderall did. It took an immediate family member to be diagnosed for my doctor to even suspect that could be part of my problem, and I had to get testing before he would write me a prescription. By this time, I was about to start begging for shock therapy or ketamine because of everything else that had been exhausted.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

samizdat posted:

I am sorry that I don't have any real advice, but I spent years trying to find the "right antidepressant" because it was naturally assumed that my inattentive ADHD symptoms were part of my depression. Magically, no antidepressants were able to do anything about them, yet Adderall did. It took an immediate family member to be diagnosed for my doctor to even suspect that could be part of my problem, and I had to get testing before he would write me a prescription. By this time, I was about to start begging for shock therapy or ketamine because of everything else that had been exhausted.

Yeah its messed up, I had a similar thing happen. Turns out it was the ADHD causing depression and anxiety, not the other way around. :downs: It seems pretty common, too.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

I find that I have difficulty with coming up with routines that I should probably follow. I develop plans that end up falling through and that I end up ultimately ignoring. Are there any books and resources any of you have found really helpful?

Start very simply. Put a key hook to hang your keys in the same place. Keys belong here. Just solve simple re-occuring problems with a system rather than a procedure. One small thing at a time until they add up.

Advance in steps. If you tackle say getting places on time concentrate, chop it into pieces. As an example- I only need to learn how to get to work on time. Then add in lessons learned and apply it to meeting your best friend for drinks or whatever.

Don't forget to celebrate the small victories and appreciate them. We get told that we're lazy- we're not. We get told that we're irresponsible- we're not. Your inner voice will say- great job hotshot you can find your keys- big whoop. Just tell the inner voice- yeah it is and appreciate it from time to time. Positive reinforcement.

Baconface
Sep 13, 2005
Bacon = Love
OK SO.

I met with my new Dr today. And he wrote me a note for social assistance/disability based on my ADHD so that's good i'll be on that GOVERNMENT CHEESE right away.

And in addition to that we talked medication, i've been off for a while.. was previous on DEXEDRINE.

Dexies were still an option today but he kind of led me towards one called "Vyvanse" Has anyone heard of this stuff, how is it, etc?

I'm on 30mg/d for 1 week, then 40m/d for 1 week, then settling on 50mg/d until we meet again in a bit over a month.

Haven't filled the script yet because I have to go pick up my prescription benefits card tomorrow first.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Vyvanse is basically time release dexedrine, and the way they did the time release means you can't put it up your nose/rear end/vein. I found that amount I needed to take to achieve the target therapeutic effect also extended the duration way too long.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So, unintentionally, I spent a good week and a half without my current stimulant. Holy poo poo, being back on it is amazing again. I won't hate it if the day ever comes where I'm one of those guys saying "oh stims do more harm than good, i stopped and now i'm cured" or some poo poo, but when you need it, it's so incredibly recognizable all the good it does.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

signalnoise posted:

So, unintentionally, I spent a good week and a half without my current stimulant. Holy poo poo, being back on it is amazing again. I won't hate it if the day ever comes where I'm one of those guys saying "oh stims do more harm than good, i stopped and now i'm cured" or some poo poo, but when you need it, it's so incredibly recognizable all the good it does.

Please don't ever become one of those guys, though

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Vyvanse is a prodrug for dextroamphetamine, meaning that it's a different chemical that your body metabolizes into the dex throughout the day.

Because of how this time release works, it's very smooth, and I can't exactly pinpoint when it kicks in or when it drops off. You also won't get the exact same dose of the amphetamine throughout the day. The peak time for me is 3-4 hours after I take it, with a gradual ramp down throughout the afternoon and evening, and a total active time of about 12-14 hours. This works really well for me, because I can be really productive at work, still have some active time left when I get home, and it's worn off by the time I go to sleep.

Also, because the time release has nothing to do with the shape of the pill, you can adjust the dose if you have to. I was prescribed 20mg for 2 weeks, then 30mg for 2 weeks, then 40mg for 4 weeks. 20 was moderately effective, 30 worked perfectly with almost no side effects, and 40 worked less well headaches, insomnia, complete loss of appetite, etc. I wasn't able to see my doctor again until a couple weeks into the 40mg dose, so every morning I would uncap the pill, pour out a little of the powder inside, and re-cap it to bring the dose down. This is obviously not a perfect dosing method and I got a new prescription for 30mg when I saw my doctor again.

If you have trouble swallowing pills, you can also open the capsule and dissolve the powder in water. It doesn't have much taste, and this is sometimes recommended for children who are taking this drug. This could theoretically be used for more accurate dose splitting, but when I tried this the active time was shorter, only about 6-8 hours. YMMV

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Do any of you guys smoke pot? I was recently diagnosed and told my psyc that I've smoked weed for the last 10 years. He told me his patients have to piss clean before he would prescribe me any stimulants. Ok, whatever, I'll try it his way I think. 2 weeks later I go to piss and dropped dirty which I expected only having 14 days clean (which he admitted was his fault for scheduling a chronic smoker so soon) but he supervised it watching me pull out my dick and everything. Is this normal? Or does this dude just apparently really hate weed? He is supposed to be the best psyc in a rather rich area so I've just been rolling with it but god drat if it doesn't seem strange.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

uG posted:

Do any of you guys smoke pot? I was recently diagnosed and told my psyc that I've smoked weed for the last 10 years. He told me his patients have to piss clean before he would prescribe me any stimulants. Ok, whatever, I'll try it his way I think. 2 weeks later I go to piss and dropped dirty which I expected only having 14 days clean (which he admitted was his fault for scheduling a chronic smoker so soon) but he supervised it watching me pull out my dick and everything. Is this normal? Or does this dude just apparently really hate weed? He is supposed to be the best psyc in a rather rich area so I've just been rolling with it but god drat if it doesn't seem strange.

Mine knows I smoke a couple times a week and doesn't seem to care.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That seems really stupid and outdated. Talk to another doctor.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

uG posted:

Dr Feelgood doesn't want to deal with preventable problems.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
He sounds like kinda a blowhard but he is pretty much working with you. I might look for another doctor though, just to avoid potentially getting drug tested before every script refill.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How long did it take for you to hate the existence of the movie Up

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

He sounds like kinda a blowhard but he is pretty much working with you. I might look for another doctor though, just to avoid potentially getting drug tested before every script refill.

Yeah mine has no problem with pot. I know he will sometimes refer people to it (off the record of course) when they have anxiety that doesn't respond to normal treatments.

My best friend's doctor piss tested him every 3 month though.

Maybe he just likes the feeling of control, or maybe his malpractice insurance gives a discount for making everyone piss.

Regardless, I would look for a new doctor.

Baconface
Sep 13, 2005
Bacon = Love
REALLY WEIRD that a Psych doctor watches you pull your dick out for a urinalysis exam !!!

I'm on federal Parole and that's a normal thing.. but even when I was INSIDE PRISON or when I was on pre-trial bail they don't watch you pull your dick out !!

I'd personally question this.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I may start looking around then. For what its worth Florida prescription rules state that:

quote:

Each registrant must develop a written plan for assessing each patient’s risk of aberrant drug-related behavior, which may include patient drug testing. Registrants must assess each patient’s risk for aberrant drug-related behavior and monitor that risk on an ongoing basis in accordance with the plan.
I mentioned my 10 years of smoking pot so maybe he technically had to drug test me? Although I don't know why he wouldn't just let me do it unsupervised, since its probably no skin off his back if I subbed in clean urine.

Should I not mention my pot smoking if I go to a new psyc and i'm clean?

e: that rule might just be for pain meds though.

uG fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 13, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My friend gets piss tested by his psych's practice, though its a nurse that actually does it. They are actually primarily looking to make sure he's taking his Adderall and not selling it.

Still retarded, and the fact that he actually watches you do it is pretty hosed. I prefer my dr-patient relationships to be based on trust, which is pretty obviously absent if they are piss testing you.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My psychiatrist has never seen my dick or my piss. Does...does this mean he doesn't find me attractive? :ohdear:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My psychiatrist has never seen my dick or my piss. Does...does this mean he doesn't find me attractive? :ohdear:

Probably.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

NHS guy here finally getting an assessment on Wednesday. I could have got one in May, but Mum couldn't make it and my psych refused to do it without her to... corroborate my story? I dunno. Is that normal?

I feel kind of nervous, like I've got an exam I haven't been studying for. I'm worried as hell that I'm not going to "pass" the assessment and have to go back to square one of what the hell is wrong with me. I really want this to be true just so there's something to actually treat me for.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Freudian posted:

NHS guy here finally getting an assessment on Wednesday. I could have got one in May, but Mum couldn't make it and my psych refused to do it without her to... corroborate my story? I dunno. Is that normal?

I feel kind of nervous, like I've got an exam I haven't been studying for. I'm worried as hell that I'm not going to "pass" the assessment and have to go back to square one of what the hell is wrong with me. I really want this to be true just so there's something to actually treat me for.

I'm pretty sure we all feel this way. I remember being nervous because I thought I performed all the test well. Long week to get the results.

Once the diagnosis finally comes (at least as someone diagnosed as an adult) there is a huge wave of relief because finally there is an explanation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So apparenty I have adult ADHS now and I'm gonna be put on Ritalin soon. Lovely.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cardiovorax posted:

So apparenty I have adult ADHS now and I'm gonna be put on Ritalin soon. Lovely.

It can make a huge difference. It really can. :sympathy:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

prefect posted:

It can make a huge difference. It really can. :sympathy:
I sure hope so, because good God am I ever sick of all this poo poo.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Ok, so I was diagnosed with ADHD back when I was little (don't remember the age exactly but definitely before highschool), and I took Adderall for basically the whole time I was taking medication. I went through the "try this and this and this" with Straterra, Concerta, Focaline, Ritaline and every other drug they had at the time and none of them helped like Adderall or the side effects were worse. 7 years ago I lost health insurance so I stopped taking any form of Adderall or anything else for ADHD. While I am at work I function fine because there is structure and I have procedures to keep myself focused, but once I get home it is all blah...I am considering going back to a doctor to have them reevaluate me and get some kind of medication set up. From people's experiences is it better for me to just give in to the medication as a solution, or is there another solution that has worked for other people that I can try without meds? Again, at work there are zero issues, and even at home I don't really ignore ALL things that need done...I just delay and procrastinate a ton which leads to only getting half of the things I need to do done if that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

OssiansFolly posted:

Ok, so I was diagnosed with ADHD back when I was little (don't remember the age exactly but definitely before highschool), and I took Adderall for basically the whole time I was taking medication. I went through the "try this and this and this" with Straterra, Concerta, Focaline, Ritaline and every other drug they had at the time and none of them helped like Adderall or the side effects were worse. 7 years ago I lost health insurance so I stopped taking any form of Adderall or anything else for ADHD. While I am at work I function fine because there is structure and I have procedures to keep myself focused, but once I get home it is all blah...I am considering going back to a doctor to have them reevaluate me and get some kind of medication set up. From people's experiences is it better for me to just give in to the medication as a solution, or is there another solution that has worked for other people that I can try without meds? Again, at work there are zero issues, and even at home I don't really ignore ALL things that need done...I just delay and procrastinate a ton which leads to only getting half of the things I need to do done if that.

I take Adderall for work, but just in the morning. It wears off by the end of the work day, and I also used to have big problems with getting regular 'life' stuff done on my own.

One of the things that really helped me is that I write the household stuff I need to do down ahead of time in a calendar book, which I carry with me to work and keep handy at all times. If I think of something I have to do I write it down right away, with a time I know I'll be free to do it. So if I'm getting home from work at 5:00, I'll literally put down "5:15 -- load washing machine. 5:30 -- unload dishwasher. 6:00 -- go to supermarket". Being beholden to the tasks on the calendar, rather than just knowing I have to do them in my own head, goes a really long way not just in terms of keeping my mind organized and remembering what I have to do, but in motivating me to get them out of the way since crossing them off gives me a sense of accomplishment -- and knowing that if I fail I'll have to write them in on a different day and feel bad about doing so helps motivate me.

Externalizing your goals can be really helpful. You do have to be careful about going overboard and putting down too many things, expecting yourself to be able to do chores for two hours straight might not be realistic and lead to failure and disappointment even if you want them all done that day.

You might also find it helpful to check out Russell Barkley's book or lectures about how ADHD is an executive function disorder, and how to structure your life around external motivations and consequences. And as always, a therapist can be really useful in helping you figure out what works and what doesn't, and providing ideas for things that might work that you wouldn't come up with yourself.

e: this post brought to you by Adderall

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I take Adderall for work, but just in the morning. It wears off by the end of the work day, and I also used to have big problems with getting regular 'life' stuff done on my own.

One of the things that really helped me is that I write the household stuff I need to do down ahead of time in a calendar book, which I carry with me to work and keep handy at all times. If I think of something I have to do I write it down right away, with a time I know I'll be free to do it. So if I'm getting home from work at 5:00, I'll literally put down "5:15 -- load washing machine. 5:30 -- unload dishwasher. 6:00 -- go to supermarket". Being beholden to the tasks on the calendar, rather than just knowing I have to do them in my own head, goes a really long way not just in terms of keeping my mind organized and remembering what I have to do, but in motivating me to get them out of the way since crossing them off gives me a sense of accomplishment -- and knowing that if I fail I'll have to write them in on a different day and feel bad about doing so helps motivate me.

Externalizing your goals can be really helpful. You do have to be careful about going overboard and putting down too many things, expecting yourself to be able to do chores for two hours straight might not be realistic and lead to failure and disappointment even if you want them all done that day.

You might also find it helpful to check out Russel Barkley's book or lectures about how ADHD is an executive function disorder, and how to structure your life around external motivations and consequences. And as always, a therapist can be really useful in helping you figure out what works and what doesn't, and providing ideas for things that might work that you wouldn't come up with yourself.

e: this post brought to you by Adderall

I will have to give the planner a try. I did something similar with a white board at home, but then I'd just look at it and go "I can do this later" or find something I feel needs done instead...Hopefully doing as you said will help. I will likely see a Dr. and hopefully get Adderall or something just in case, but not hold myself to a regiment of taking it. I really dislike the side effects of ADHD drugs so I'd prefer not to take them, but sometimes they are a necessary thing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Get the meds, use them to get motivated to ride a bike every day. Riding a bike will enrich your life more than you would think a stupid exercise would.