Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

quote:

edit - in other news, yet another VS camo that transforms the "supposed to be the thing that makes them look obviously VS" bright green secondary color to something entirely different and indistinguishable from NC/TR:

I hope these people get TK'd constantly. Shatter seems to get me TK'd more than any other camo as well so who knows

Rely not on your eyes but on your sensor dong. It will never steer you wrong.

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I now suddenly desire to find a neutral camo and a generic-looking helmet and blend in with the enemy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hit Q and give a single tap. Easiest way to tell.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I prefer 'when in doubt, open fire'. If they're on your side, that's what V+8 is for.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Play Medic and kill everyone then revive your allies.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I just shoot everyone, the principle of Karma means that everyone deserves the poo poo I give them regardless of faction affiliation.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

All of your C4 is clearly the answer.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Play Medic and kill everyone then revive your allies.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Who thought using the mouse side to side to roll was a good idea?

A smart person who recognised that having accurate control over your roll is important in a game based on hover-flight.
In the GOKU thread I posted my key binds yesterday if you want to see pro airsperg keybinds.
Also drop your mouse sensitivity cause I bet its too high and you're bad.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Logged in to my TR character to play around with guns in VR, some TR newbie in prox chat was asking what guns to buy. I started telling him the pros and other pros of the different TR weapons. When we got to the SABR-13 and I told him it was awesome, an AOD guy chimed in saying that it was the first gun he'd bought, he put a 4x scope on it, hated it and never used it since. I told him to try it with a 2x and a laser.

60 seconds later: "Is it supposed to be like this? It seems kind of...unfair."

The newbie ended up getting an Armistice so he'd have something to play with on every class.

Super.Jesus posted:

That's pretty much Charge.

When ZOE got nerfed I maxed charge and realized it was always better in the first place.

Charge is good for short boosts of speed in an emergency, I want something to cover large distances between fights. Makes you faster but more vulnerable, like the opposite of the NC's shield. Disabling weapons while it was active would prevent it from being abused in combat, and making it toggleable with no timer would make it better than ZOE's current incarnation.

Epic High Five posted:

One of the chief arguments of the time was that all high BR, skilled players used Charge instead, only nobody could ever actually find one actually doing this and believe me they tried. The reason was obvious of course - VS MAXes that didn't run ZOE died 20% more often than ZOE MAXes, despite the latter taking 30% increased damage. This is due in part to the fact that mobility is the greatest durability there is, and only lovely low BR players ever pulled something other than a ZOE MAX.

The best part was watching ZOE ADADAD streams (aka all VS streams for about 6 months) and seeing the rockets pass right through their chest and have them say "oh man that was a close one haha" :argh:

edit - in other news, yet another VS camo that transforms the "supposed to be the thing that makes them look obviously VS" bright green secondary color to something entirely different and indistinguishable from NC/TR:

I hope these people get TK'd constantly. Shatter seems to get me TK'd more than any other camo as well so who knows

I've got that camo, I bought it after a TR infil wearing it with a skull mask jumped me. I didn't even realize he was TR until my death screen.

The nicest thing about the Lasher is that the splash does reduced damage to allies, whenever I see some rear end in a top hat infil running around in a group of friendlies I just shoot the ground.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Was playing my NC last night because we had a bio lab fight going and holy poo poo did they buff the shield or something? you move faster with it and i was laughing at a loving pounder max because i pulled my shield out and back pedaled into cover. I then went to my TR char to get ribbons and eventually locked down with pounders behind the teleport shields and taught NC maxes what pounders are.

ZOE would be fine if it was just a toggle with a cool down between turning it off/on, TR gets fire power, NC gets survival and VS gets mobility.

I found the best fix to magburn EVER. Make magriders like necron hover things where you got a human torso sticking out from a square hover chassis, the main gun will stick up like a giant penis fixed forward while the 2nd gun will be attached to the human torso's arms. I was thinking basically blowing up a VS max and attaching a more square metal mesh to it so it looked more vehicle like. When you trigger magburn the torso would lean forward and howl.

SPACE DAD MAKE ME A VS MAX NECRON HOVER PLATFORM STAT! HIGBY NEEDS THIS, WE ALL NEEEED THIS.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arghy posted:

Was playing my NC last night because we had a bio lab fight going and holy poo poo did they buff the shield or something? you move faster with it and i was laughing at a loving pounder max because i pulled my shield out and back pedaled into cover. I then went to my TR char to get ribbons and eventually locked down with pounders behind the teleport shields and taught NC maxes what pounders are.

ZOE would be fine if it was just a toggle with a cool down between turning it off/on, TR gets fire power, NC gets survival and VS gets mobility.

I found the best fix to magburn EVER. Make magriders like necron hover things where you got a human torso sticking out from a square hover chassis, the main gun will stick up like a giant penis fixed forward while the 2nd gun will be attached to the human torso's arms. I was thinking basically blowing up a VS max and attaching a more square metal mesh to it so it looked more vehicle like. When you trigger magburn the torso would lean forward and howl.

SPACE DAD MAKE ME A VS MAX NECRON HOVER PLATFORM STAT! HIGBY NEEDS THIS, WE ALL NEEEED THIS.

please keep drunkposting it brings a smile to my face

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

They said something about increasing forward movement speed with the Aegis out but nothing ever came of it. Probably still on the backburner though? The day that the TR finally figure out this whole "Pounders+lockdown" thing is the day we're all royally hosed.

Avulsion posted:

The nicest thing about the Lasher is that the splash does reduced damage to allies, whenever I see some rear end in a top hat infil running around in a group of friendlies I just shoot the ground.

What's it called?

Tempest_56 posted:

I prefer 'when in doubt, open fire'. If they're on your side, that's what V+8 is for.

I'm pretty good at spotting these things by now, I dunno exactly what tips me off but I'm nearly impossible to fool with camo anymore. This one could get me though for sure, especially with a cross-faction helmet instead of an obviously Vanu one.

When it doubt you can always hover your cursor over them - if it's a bad guy, it'll turn red.

I'm playing HA lately to get the GODSAW so I can't go quite as TK happy as I could before :(

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

VS Camo in general obscures any contrasting color highlights. I say this as someone who plays VS and is constantly TK'd for running Anniversary camo :negative:

Nookovian-Red posted:

It's shocking how many people ignore their map, turn a corner into a friendly and just light you the gently caress up because OH GOD IT MOVED. I can thank AOD for another teamkill tonight, this one was a 100% SABR-13 body to headshot chain, and since it's semi auto he had to keep clicking the whole time :psyduck:

Non-sequitur- the Spiker is utterly ridiculous with a full charge, holy poo poo is that going to be annoying to fight.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nookovian-Red posted:

I sometimes go into despair mode over the lack of sensor dongs on both Miller and Mattherson. I'm going to end up playing nothing but Infiltrator eventually with a maxed out sensor dong, just because playing without one is awful now.

It's like having a Map Hack Burn Card from Titan Fall on all the time and that's considered one of the very best cards to have. Except it works even better because it shows peoples facing too! It is a completely ridiculous advantage and yet many a time I'll get to a fight and see neither side has put a dong down and have to go swap to infil to do it myself, then swim in a sea of free XP from the kills it gives.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fans posted:

I sometimes go into despair mode over the lack of sensor dongs on both Miller and Mattherson. I'm going to end up playing nothing but Infiltrator eventually with a maxed out sensor dong, just because playing without one is awful now.

It's like having a Map Hack Burn Card from Titan Fall on all the time and that's considered one of the very best cards to have. Except it works even better because it shows peoples facing too! It is a completely ridiculous advantage and yet many a time I'll get to a fight and see neither side has put a dong down and have to go swap to infil to do it myself, then swim in a sea of free XP from the kills it gives.

Just do what I do and keep a radar flash somewhere nearby just in case. Considering the lack of infils it's your best bet

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Just do what I do and keep a radar flash somewhere nearby just in case. Considering the lack of infils it's your best bet

Doesn't the flash radar only work while someone's riding it now?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

hailthefish posted:

Doesn't the flash radar only work while someone's riding it now?

It does work like that now which makes it a lot less useful than when you could just pull one and leave it somewhere out of the way.

Rank 5 Motion Dick is 50 meters which is huge enough to cover most of a fight and unlike Radar Flash it'll show their facing and if they're a MAX or Infantry too. There's a reason the Stalker is my highest kill weapon for now! I even tend to save an EMP grenade just for lobbing at enemy motion dicks.

Also I got Clear Vision on my TR last night. I celebrated with an MCG Grenade Bandolier Conc Rush and it was as every bit marvelous as I thought it would be.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I still find more utility in max rank sensor darts than the Dong

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fans posted:

Also I got Clear Vision on my TR last night. I celebrated with an MCG Grenade Bandolier Conc Rush and it was as every bit marvelous as I thought it would be.

I want to like clear vision I just .. can't get over having 4 AV nades in my back pocket. That poo poo is *hilarious* against defended positions. I'm dumb and posting after the bars close is bad.

Clamps McGraw posted:

I still find more utility in max rank sensor darts than the Dong

The Dong needs max rank to be great, it's merely good at one rank less. 95% of people won't find and kill dongs so dropping them in bushes and in cracks between crates next to defended positions is just solid gold for the rest of your team. Darts are good but dongs are amazing - knowing which direction people are facing is a *huge* advantage.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 30, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

o muerte posted:

I want to like clear vision I just .. can't get over having 4 AV nades in my back pocket. That poo poo is *hilarious* against defended positions. I'm dumb and posting after the bars close is bad.

Nah I'm with you, I love AV Grenades too. Nothing breaks a MAX hold better than lobbing in a bunch of AV Grenades, I tend to bring them to biolabs and bounce them off walls to blow up ScatMAX's trying to camp the doors and ruin their kill streaks.

o muerte posted:

Darts are good but dongs are amazing - knowing which direction people are facing is a *huge* advantage.

The thing I like about the Dong is at Rank 5 it has a huge range, it lasts forever and almost no one ever seems to notice it. I've had 48+ zergs roll over my sensor and still not destroy it. The Sensor Dart is nice but it doesn't give as much information, doesn't last that long and Infils quickly forget to spam them once actual fighting starts. We used to have an infil who did nothing but spam darts during a fight, now we can just make sure one Motion Sensor is down and the Infil can join in instead of hugging an ammo pack.

Still if you prefer darts go for it. I won't say no to them.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Fans posted:

Nah I'm with you, I love AV Grenades too. Nothing breaks a MAX hold better than lobbing in a bunch of AV Grenades, I tend to bring them to biolabs and bounce them off walls to blow up ScatMAX's trying to camp the doors and ruin their kill streaks.

The thing I like about the Dong is at Rank 5 it has a huge range, it lasts forever and almost no one ever seems to notice it. I've had 48+ zergs roll over my sensor and still not destroy it. The Sensor Dart is nice but it doesn't give as much information, doesn't last that long and Infils quickly forget to spam them once actual fighting starts. We used to have an infil who did nothing but spam darts during a fight, now we can just make sure one Motion Sensor is down and the Infil can join in instead of hugging an ammo pack.

Still if you prefer darts go for it. I won't say no to them.

How does anyone not notice the foreign glowing object that is the sensor dong? I merc every one that I see, regardless (mostly) of the circumstance. Maybe I'm just taking situational awareness for granted.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Rayjenkins posted:

How does anyone not notice the foreign glowing object that is the sensor dong? I merc every one that I see, regardless (mostly) of the circumstance. Maybe I'm just taking situational awareness for granted.

I honestly believe most people have no idea what they do. That or they're mistaking them for a friendly one.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Fans posted:

I honestly believe most people have no idea what they do. That or they're mistaking them for a friendly one.

Don't they have a color coated glow? Can't they be identified with Q? If in doubt, press Q once or twice. Some people are just so loving stupid that they won't bother to try something just because the game doesn't tell them to. Planetside 2 is the epitome of this it seems at times.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

^^
People will ignore much more intrusive things like a locked down HE Prowler shelling a base in peace or apparently a Phaseshift sniper killing hundreds. Don't expect them to be bothered by a little glowing dong on the ground.

Fans posted:

That, and the mindless zerg doesn't feel 'responsible' for something like that. Same with beacons and pretty much anything else that 'needs' to be done.

Pand fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 30, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Broose posted:

Same question for TR. All I know is the TORQ and Carv.

This is all you need to know.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Fans posted:

Hell, when I came back from a hiatus a few weeks ago, I thought they were medic shield fields that had ran out of power or something :shobon: Took me a while to realize that the radar dongs were a thing at all. In my defense, I don't play infiltrator.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Trogdos! posted:

Hell, when I came back from a hiatus a few weeks ago, I thought they were medic shield fields that had ran out of power or something :shobon: Took me a while to realize that the radar dongs were a thing at all. In my defense, I don't play infiltrator.

Well, to be fair, they do have the same general shape if I recall. At least you understood what the medic shield field did in the first place, the infiltrator dong might sound innocuous at first observation though.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

It's not just that people don't know what they do, against an MLG READY building hold they're often amazing as well - not every team packs a dedicated infiltrator with EMP grenades to detonate a dong placed outside. Case in point, I used a few against GOKU tonight while we were outnumbered 2:1 and shamelessly murdered KV and a few others before anyone got around to grouping up to find me.

They're useful against good teams in a lot of situations as well as against pubzergs. #YOLO #MLG420

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Horizontal Tree posted:

A smart person who recognised that having accurate control over your roll is important in a game based on hover-flight.

It's still asinine that you can't rebind it to something you're more comfortable with.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is there any reason to buy an SMG as an NC if I already have a GD-7F? Because it seems better than any SMG possibly could be and gently caress infiltrators anyways.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is there any reason to buy an SMG as an NC if I already have a GD-7F? Because it seems better than any SMG possibly could be and gently caress infiltrators anyways.

The Cyclone is a loving incredible gun that's much better than the GD-7F.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Cyclone is one of the best close-range weapons for the NC, every class can use it, and it has the damage profile of a carbine.

The recommended attachments for it are: Exmags, whatever sight (I use a 2x reflex), and SPA.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Uhh, considering that NC gets the best SMG in the entire game and it puts most carbines to shame... reevaluate your life. Then buy the Cyclone. Then seek therapy for all of the broken promises the carbines gave you.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So while I wait for that Games Rocket code, what's a good thing to buy with my 1000SC? I'm like 11 on Vanu and haven't bought anything. In fact I really don't know what to buy at all as I get certs.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Shoehead posted:

So while I wait for that Games Rocket code, what's a good thing to buy with my 1000SC? I'm like 11 on Vanu and haven't bought anything. In fact I really don't know what to buy at all as I get certs.

The lancer probably.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shoehead posted:

IIRC the MANA AV turret is unlocked for all three factions if you use SC. Since it's IRL money, pick something non faction specific, was the general advice.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Shoehead posted:

I'd probably wait for sales regardless of what people recommend buying. Most thing aren't worth paying full price for

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Blasmeister posted:

I'd probably wait for sales regardless of what people recommend buying. Most thing aren't worth paying full price for

Ok so save SC for sales. But what should I blow certs on? I don't seem to earn them too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

hailthefish posted:

Other than the shape of that helmet, he's completely indistinguishable about which faction he is, especially with the loving NS gun.
Use the NS helmet from the referral program or the upcoming Analyst Helmet and you won't even be able to use that to distinguish them!

• Locked thread