Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's link all right. Not sure about the fixed part. They took ~*Sterling Knight*~'s dashing smug face and replaced it with dbag glasses.

Well,she doesn't look as she got stung by a thousand bees anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonz posted:

According to the internet, motherfucker's real middle name is SANDMANN.

STERLING SANDMANN KNIGHT.

Motherfucker? If that was my real name, I'd be wishing that nobody had ever hosed my mother.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

Well he was doomed from birth then. Poor guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whats with the second n? Is the name trademarked or something?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's a Disney Channel star, so if it wasn't before, it is now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

His parents wanted to make the name unique. Can't be just another Sandman, y'know.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GrandpaPants posted:

His parents wanted to make the name unique. Can't be just another Sandman, y'know.

The Gaiman Sandman/Golden Age Sandman thing is already confusing enough.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

(no I didn't shop Wesley Snipes as Blade in the first bubble)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gonz posted:

This guy might as well be SanDeE* from L.A. Story.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Technically not a poster, but a teaser-poster-like ad running in Empire magazine next month:

e: fixed.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Slate Action posted:

Technically not a poster, but a teaser-poster-like ad running in Empire magazine next month:

I think that's not loading right because it doesn't have the i. in front of imgur.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Erebus posted:

I think that's not loading right because it doesn't have the i. in front of imgur.

I'm reading the first draft leak and it's pretty good so far. After reading the Django Unchained screenplay I know that a lot can change in between, but I like that he's really goin' for the classic Cinemascope thing. (He mentions it four times on the first page of the script.)

Also, without spoiling too much, who wants to guess how many pages in he drops 'friend of the family'?

EDIT: More relevant content - that's a drat fine poster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I'm reading the first draft leak and it's pretty good so far. After reading the Django Unchained screenplay I know that a lot can change in between, but I like that he's really goin' for the classic Cinemascope thing. (He mentions it four times on the first page of the script.)

Also, without spoiling too much, who wants to guess how many pages in he drops 'friend of the family'?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Close! Six. Yes, I think that's a new record for ol' Quentin. But, don't worry, RZA calls me that, so it's okay.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Close! Six. Yes, I think that's a new record for ol' Quentin. But, don't worry, RZA calls me that, so it's okay.

This is the stupidest point of contention. It's a western, set in the 1800's. It's how people talked. Yes, it's not a historical drama or anything, but trying to sanitize the past isn't the way to progress.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's true but let's not pretend he doesn't love dropping that word. Dead friend of the family storage is actually the only part of Pulp Fiction that makes me cringe. Of course it's always terrible whenever he appears in one of his films.

I rank Pulp Fiction as a top ten film of all time, for clarity's sake.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the stupidest point of contention. It's a western, set in the 1800's. It's how people talked. Yes, it's not a historical drama or anything, but trying to sanitize the past isn't the way to progress.

I don't care how many times people in Tarantino films drop the N-bomb, but this is a terrible argument. People in the 1800s did not talk like they were in a Tarantino film.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

True but when was the last time Tarintino wrote any dialog that sounded remotely like the way people actually speak?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Never, but that word was super common back then, and it's not like he's even used it in this context (of a western) for people we aren't supposed to immediately identify as loving terrible assholes who deserve to die.

"Dead friend of the family storage" really seems like it was written for a black actor though and changed when he ended up playing that role instead of the drug dealer, and is pretty indefensible.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TheJoker138 posted:

Where did you get the impression that I want Tarantino to sanitize his art? That would be totally counter-productive.

I'm sure you'll agree that it's in fact possible to both mock and revere an artistic figure for the same thing. I don't see mocking Tarantino's repetitious and self-derivative use of the word 'friend of the family' as any different than mocking the repetitious self-derivativeness of any other artist.

I literally praised the script in the same instance that I mocked one aspect of it.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 30, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Where did you get the impression that I want Tarantino to sanitize his art? That would be totally counter-productive.

I'm sure you'll agree that it's in fact possible to both mock and revere an artistic figure for the same thing. I don't see mocking Tarantino's repetitious and self-derivative use of the word 'friend of the family' as any different than mocking the repetitious self-derivativeness of any other artist.

I literally praised the script in the same instance that I mocked one aspect of it.

I'm not accusing you of it, really, but when Django came out the amount of backlash against the fact that he had southern slave owners saying "friend of the family" made him a secret racist and he shouldn't have had them say it was crazy. It's the same complete lack of being able to put thing in context that makes most SJWs unbearable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm not accusing you of it, really, but when Django came out the amount of backlash against the fact that he had southern slave owners saying "friend of the family" made him a secret racist and he shouldn't have had them say it was crazy. It's the same complete lack of being able to put thing in context that makes most SJWs unbearable.

I like how we agree that the backlash towards the use of 'friend of the family" in Django Unchained was bad criticism, but I totally disagree about the defensibility of "dead friend of the family storage." If anything, that's the scene in which Tarantino's repressed vulgar desires are the most explicitly equated with a castrated, ineffectual, desperate nobody who clearly uses the word just to make himself seem like a bigger man. Critics like Armond White have commented on this; pre-Kill Bill, Tarantino's use of the word 'friend of the family' virtually always had explicitly negative connotations.

But I don't wanna further derail about Tarantino, so I'll post an awesome Tarantino poster, which I can't fathom why isn't the home video cover:

Ain't no drag with Jackie Brown, of course.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Ain't no drag with Jackie Brown, of course.

Probably my second favorite Tarantino film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheJoker138 posted:

That's a slightly simplified take on it, wouldn't you say?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That's a slightly simplified take on it, wouldn't you say?

I see this is the first post by Joker138 you have ever read.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MacheteZombie posted:

Probably my second favorite Tarantino film.

I think the build up to SLJ executing Chris Tucker might be one of his finest achievements. That scene just hits me so hard every time; only Tarantino could conceive of something as blackly comic and totally horrifying as a man unwittingly selling his soul for some fast food.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I see this is the first post by Joker138 you have ever read.

I know I'm jealous.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I think the build up to SLJ executing Chris Tucker might be one of his finest achievements. That scene just hits me so hard every time; only Tarantino could conceive of something as blackly comic and totally horrifying as a man unwittingly selling his soul for some fast food.

I really wish we got more than one Chris Tucker appearance in a Tarantino movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really wish we got more than one Chris Tucker appearance in a Tarantino movie.

I want the words I understand that are coming out of his mouth to be Tarantino's words. :(

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tucker

I appreciate that he seems to be far more selective about his roles than people give him credit for. I know for a while it's been cool to hate on his character in The Fifth Element, but it's pretty much common knowledge now that he's one of the best features of the movie, right? Right?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

K. Waste posted:

I know for a while it's been cool to hate on his character in The Fifth Element, but it's pretty much common knowledge now that he's one of the best features of the movie, right? Right?

It had better loving be common knowledge.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't usually pull this card but if you don't like Ruby Rhod, it's safe to say you don't "get" The Fifth Element.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think my favorite gag in The Fifth Element is that there's a whole miniature subplot about a rival Ruby Rhod knockoff who's hard of hearing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
An usher I saw at a Milwaukee Bucks game had Ruby's exact haircut, and I still regret not getting a better picture. It was like seeing a unicorn.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not liking Fifth Element makes you garbage.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I think my favorite gag in The Fifth Element is that there's a whole miniature subplot about a rival Ruby Rhod knockoff who's hard of hearing.

Wasn't he just the dad of one of the girls he hosed?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

kiimo posted:

Of course it's always terrible whenever he appears in one of his films.

Fixed this for you. Because his appearance in Desperado is pretty insufferable.

Why am I not remembering this? Can you expand on this, please?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Vincent posted:

Wasn't he just the dad of one of the girls he hosed?

No, that was the daughter of some royalty.

The deaf guy is an actor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ruby Rhod is an incredible character in a movie full of amazing characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsJKdxPwZdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

CaptainHollywood posted:

I was worried we weren't going to get hippy colours for all the Expendables