Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Aliquid posted:

Austin's airport is the best because they only allow local places.

they've got a fuckin' salt lick. never not go to salt lick when travelling through austin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i was in austin last weekend but i drove there so no airport drinking for me

also i just found a forum about goats and i have a strong affinity for those creatures so i am considering deleting my account that i use to post about horrible us politics and instead just post about goats all day

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

illrepute posted:

they've got a fuckin' salt lick. never not go to salt lick when travelling through austin

Explain, for those of us who do not live in red states.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
It's probably for dehydrated cows, is my guess.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Obama should argue that he's a free man on the land and immune from prosecution because his name is printed in all caps on his berth certificate.
If he really wants to troll them he should just add gold fringes to the hemline on his jacket's arms.

Hedera Helix posted:

I hate places that put TVs everywhere, they're so distracting. I want to be able to talk with the people I'm at the bar/restaurant/whatever with, instead of being drawn away by bright colors and moving things every five seconds.
This was my biggest revelation on my two-years ago trip home. I made a small list of observations about the States on that trip (would've been about 7.5 years out) and posted it to friends and one of the things was "Every single establishment now has 14,000 huge LCD TVs blaring sports 'news' and news 'news' and everyone just sits around staring at the TVs. I recall this one, because in Cambodia (moreso before, but still) there's this culture of an afternoon tea/coffee house that's basically rows of lawn chairs, coffee/tea and a TV showing Khmer-produced soap operas or movies on-stop. Obviously because until recently almost no one had a TV, heh. Basically, we've come full circle.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 31, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

My limited experience is that airports are purgatory incarnate and I don't care what's in them because my goal is to spend as little time as possible there.

That being said, I love that McCarran in Las Vegas has slot machines all over the place.

Several years ago I was flying home during one of the Xmases when it snowed in Seattle, and my flight was delayed, like, forty-five minutes. Well, that meant I was going to miss my connection in Portland, so they put me on a direct flight... in five hours.

Proceed to the airport Wolfgang Pucks. I got up at 3:30am for a 7:00 flight (due to weather and such, needed to leave plenty of time). At this point, it was around 6:30. I ordered Bloody Marys until 9:00 rolled around, at which point I did the math, said "it's not noon, but I've been up for five hours, so it's okay to switch to beer" and ordered a microbrew.

When I ordered, the waitress asked if I'd like a shot with that. I turned to her and said "really? Is that what this looks like?" and she replied, "oh, no, it's just that if you order a beer, you get a shot for $1."

"Oh, well, then, of course I want a shot." And that is how I ended up getting a very healthy buzz on drinking microbrews and shots of Glenlivet before a noon flight.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I just got home after work and saw this.

Mothahfuckah, even Peter O'Toole gotsta get paid, son.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ReindeerF posted:

If he really wants to troll them he should just add gold fringes to the hemline on his jacket's arms.

"In a stunning announcement today, President Obama declared himself to be the nautical President of the United States."

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Pope Guilty posted:

"In a stunning announcement today, President Obama declared himself to be the nautical President of the United States."

there are no term limits underwater

obama 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SiJM4sbqI

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Thanatosian posted:

I just got home after work and saw this.

Mothahfuckah, even Peter O'Toole gotsta get paid, son.
Most of the 1970s and all of the 1980s was Peter O'Toole gettin' paid. I seriously love his acting and he was a fascinating man, but he definitely had his make it rain period. About the best of that bunch was Creator. One of his less-famous, but still great roles was Murphy's War, but that sort of preceded his decline a bit. How he loving lived as long as he did is a mystery.

In other news:

https://news.yahoo.com/why-is-rand-paul-reaching-out-to-black-voters-082701361.html

quote:

Why is Rand Paul reaching out to black voters?
You don't even need to read the story, just the headline should elicit plenty of chuckles. Answer? "Out of habit, mostly."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Swan Oat posted:

i was in austin last weekend but i drove there so no airport drinking for me

also i just found a forum about goats and i have a strong affinity for those creatures so i am considering deleting my account that i use to post about horrible us politics and instead just post about goats all day

This man knows his priorities! :respek:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
So, serious question: which potential presidential candidate do you think is most likely to be an alien wearing a human suit?

(This is serious)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Potential as in future? Or ever?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
As in like in 2016 I guess.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Not Mitt, he's a human wearing a human suit.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Newt could be wearing an ill-fitting human suit a'la Vincent D'Onofrio in Men in Black. His interest in the moon and fondness of zoos is also suspect in this regard.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Cruz is an alien, we might be in trouble because he's already pledged that his alien army will never surrender.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just want to know who Obama will run as to achieve his third term.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For my lifetime I'll go with Steve Forbes.

For 2016, too soon to say.

Joementum posted:

If Cruz is an alien, we might be in trouble because he's already pledged that his alien army will never surrender.
Cruz has already written a letter to his species explaining why he's chosen to renounce his alien citizenship.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
As an alien, I'm pleased to see Ted Cruz has been so well received in your nation.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Joementum posted:

Newt could be wearing an ill-fitting human suit a'la Vincent D'Onofrio in Men in Black. His interest in the moon and fondness of zoos is also suspect in this regard.

There's a gag in Men in Black where they show a bunch of celebrities who are actually aliens, and Gingrich is one of them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I totally forgot about that, for some strange reason!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
MIB is still Will Smith's best movie. The third one wasn't terrible either.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Cheekio posted:

MIB is still Will Smith's best movie. The third one wasn't terrible either.

It's actually Six Degrees of Separation.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

moller posted:

It's actually Six Degrees of Separation.

I would have accepted Enemy of the State.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Majorian posted:

Explain, for those of us who do not live in red states.

The Satlt Lick is a fantastic bbq place in Austin. Their sausage is fuckin' amazing.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Independence Day is Will Smith's best movie you weirdos.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Swan Oat posted:

A good plan

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Swan Oat posted:

Independence Day is Will Smith's best movie you weirdos.

Followed by Wild Wild West.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Was MIB 2 the one with a lingerie model and wire-fighting? I forget.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DemeaninDemon posted:

Followed by Wild Wild West.

WWW was fabulous. And awful. But really funny.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wild Wild West was the first film I saw at a cinema. The only thing I remember are the giant mechanical spider and parts of the song. Good poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

R. Mute posted:

Wild Wild West was the first film I saw at a cinema. The only thing I remember are the giant mechanical spider and parts of the song. Good poo poo.

There's also the hot tub scene and the magnetic collars!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

silvergoose posted:

There's also the hot tub scene and the magnetic collars!
i remember the magnetic collars, but the hot tub scene probably didn't interest me because i was 9 at the time :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cheekio posted:

I would have accepted Enemy of the State.

"Accepted"? That is the best. An amazingly prescient take-down of the surveillance state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6KdHmoMbw&t=193s

Remember the 1990's, when people were concerned with security overreach? I wonder what happened in the early 2000's to make that go away for almost a decade.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have a dim memory that I liked the villain and that Salma Hayek was really really really flat (acting-wise), even for her, which is saying something.

That song is up there with "welcome to Miami" as Will Smith's worst songs, which is also saying something.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Has anyone seen A Most Wanted Man? I think I'm going to go this weekend if I can get the time off work.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
If you have any friends that for god knows what reason like steampunk, just constantly remind them that Wild Wild West is steampunk and watch them sputter in rage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you have any friends that for god knows what reason like steampunk, just constantly remind them that Wild Wild West is steampunk and watch them sputter in rage.

loving Steampunk. Difference Engine was okay, and some of the Final Fantasy games featuring it were nice; otherwise, it's a bad, bad genre, and people should be ashamed about it.

Also vampires. gently caress vampires. And zombies. gently caress them, too. (not literally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Wasn't The Difference Engine all about how the rich have the same mindset as in the Victorian Era, the only difference is they have access to more powerful technology?

• Locked thread